Play Stay Dine vs. Room Only Discount

Which discount is better for 2 adults staying 4 days?

It depends--for room only the deluxe resorts are discounted more than the moderate, which are discounted more than the value resorts. Some of the resorts will only have upgraded rooms (e.g. garden vs. standard view) available for certain discounts. And s/p/d is not a clear cut discount--it almost seems like a secret magical formula that Disney uses to calculate the exact discount for each room. It seems to be that adults pay child-rates for park tickets & meal plan, and then there is a little room discount, too--but I don't know for sure. :confused3 The CM don't know the formula, they can just tell you what the computer tells them the rates are.

Once the discounts are released on the Disney website you just need to play with the scenarios to see what saves you more. You may want to look at multiple resorts and different rooms within each resort. You can also call and ask a CM to do this for you--personally I like to scope it out myself first.

Good luck! I hope you find great savings with at least one of the discounts offered!

I thought PSD needs to be 6 days 5 nights. If that's the case the room discount would be the only thing for you.

My wife and I debated this for our trip in February. We ended up booking a room only reservation through Orbitz, taking advantage of an additional 20% off discount code. We'll keep track of how much we spend on food while we're there, but my suspicion is that PSD would not have saved us much, if anything.

Which discount is better for 2 adults staying 4 days?

It depends on what tier of hotel you are staying at. For deluxe, room discount would be better. For value resort dining is probably better. For moderate you'll have to do some number crunching. What I do is add up how much we would spend to eat normally without the dining plan. For example we don't eat table service EVERY day of a trip and we don't get dessert with every quick service meal so while what you get on the dining plan might be worth "x", you might only spend "y" if not on the plan. Then compare what you would normally spend vs. what you would save on the room and see which is the better deal.

I really think it depends on how much you plan to spend on food. I priced out four different deluxe resorts and honestly the winter room discount probably saved me a little over the PSD but that's only because I'll be shocked if we do a TS meal every day.

The other thing to keep in mind that if using the meal plan, TS meals include the entree, desert and beverage. I know that at some locations I only want an appetizer and beverage. We've been paying OOP for our meals and taking the RO discount - we have greater flexibility on what we want to eat that way.

Two adults, eights nights second week of February at Pop.

Light breakfast in the room most mornings.
Thinking of four or five table service meals, likely at lunchtime. The rest counter service. A few meals (shawarma platter, chicken and ribs) we could split.
Meal beverages split between water, soda, and alcoholic.
Some deserts, some snacks.

We will not spend out of pocket for food the amount that would represent the food portion of stay play dine. Room only discount for us.

Last year at the same time, we accepted the free dining instead of room discount. If we had not used free dining to its max, if we had eaten the way we usually eat, I think we might've done slightly better with the room only discount.

Are you planning to have the dining plan? Simply price it out on the website for the resort of interest. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter