Playa del Sol

DOCTORRICK

Mouseketeer
Anyone does the disney excursion to playa del sol?
Descriptions sound kind of nice.
What is available at this beach.
Worthwhile, in your opinion?

We did not do the excursion that was solely Playa De Sol, but the San Gervasio Ruin tour stops there for a few hours. We loved it. There were water toys of all sorts for the kids. A pool for those who did not want to deal with the surf. The kids got to try for a Pinata while blindfolded. They had one of those elastic things the strap you in and make you jump really high. There was volleyball on the beach. On your way to the beach are alot of little shops set up by the locals for that last minute souviener. I believe those who did the whole day excursion had a lunch buffet.

We really enjoyed our stay there. If I wanted an all day bech thing - this is a great place.

Hi Doctorrick. We have just returned from the 10/12 western and did Playa Del Sol. Actually, we took a cab to Mr. Sanchos. to be honest, we did not like it at all. We have a 5 & 7 year old. The beach was very small, and the water trampoline was broken. There really was not much to do there, in our humble opinon. I have heard from other people on the boards that really liked it. Even though it did not cost anything to go there, we did not like it. My husband decided to walk down to Play del Sol (about 1/4 mile down the beach). He liked what he saw, so we walked down there. We did not realize that you have to pay to be there, so hubby went and paid the $8.00 per head, for the basic package. What can we say, the place was great. We started out by having some quesadillas and canned sodas, by the pool. Then, the "boys" rented a wave runner for $55.00 for 1/2 hour (WELL WORTH IT). After that, we walked to the part of the beach that had the paddle boats, water trampoline and iceberg (kind of like the trampoline/rock climbing wall). This is all included in the basic admisssion price. Afterwards, we walked through the small zoo(included) and took a cab back to the waterfront. We really enjoyed ourselves, and will do that again the next time we go.

Hi Doctorrick. We have just returned from the 10/12 western and did Playa Del Sol. Actually, we took a cab to Mr. Sanchos. to be honest, we did not like it at all. We have a 5 & 7 year old. The beach was very small, and the water trampoline was broken. There really was not much to do there, in our humble opinion. I have heard from other people on the boards that really liked it. Even though it did not cost anything to go there, we did not like it. My husband decided to walk down to Play del Sol (about 1/4 mile down the beach). He liked what he saw, so we walked down there. We did not realize that you have to pay to be there, so hubby went and paid the $8.00 per head, for the basic package. What can we say, the place was great. We started out by having some quesadillas and canned sodas, by the pool. Then, the "boys" rented a wave runner for $55.00 for 1/2 hour (WELL WORTH IT). After that, we walked to the part of the beach that had the paddle boats, water trampoline and iceberg (kind of like the trampoline/rock climbing wall). This is all included in the basic admisssion price. Afterwards, we walked through the small zoo(included) and took a cab back to the waterfront. We really enjoyed ourselves, and will do that again the next time we go.

Originally posted by Chris&Nikki'sMom

We did not realize that you have to pay to be there, so hubby went and paid the $8.00 per head, for the basic package.
Why did you have to pay $8/pp? Is Playa del Sol in the National Park? That's supposedly the only place on the island where you have to pay a fee to access the beach.

Dave, I am really not sure about that. I know that when we walked down there, we were asked where our wrist "armband"was, and that we had to have one before we could access their beach. The cheapo ($8.00 pp for basic package) is a tangerine orange wristband. I saw people with purple and with fushia wrist bands on, so I can only guess that they were the ones that paid the "big bucks" to get in. I saw that Disney had an excursion there, but thought that they were a little pricey. I know that the one we bought only included entry into Playa del Sol, and all of the water activities. The more expensive (I believe $32.00pp entry) included all we got, but also included the buffet and unlimited drinks/sodas for the day. Personally, it is not that much to buy sodas/drinks and food there. The only thing you have to pay extra for is for the waverunner rental or parasailing.

Dave, I am really not sure about that. I know that when we walked down there, we were asked where our wrist "armband"was, and that we had to have one before we could access their beach. The cheapo ($8.00 pp for basic package) is a tangerine orange wristband. I saw people with purple and with fushia wrist bands on, so I can only guess that they were the ones that paid the "big bucks" to get in. I saw that Disney had an excursion there, but thought that they were a little pricey. I know that the one we bought only included entry into Playa del Sol, and all of the water activities. The more expensive (I believe $32.00pp entry) included all we got, but also included the buffet and unlimited drinks/sodas for the day. Personally, it is not that much to buy sodas/drinks and food there. The only thing you have to pay extra for is for the waverunner rental or parasailing. BTW, if that is the only placeyou have to pay to get into, it is SO WELL WORTH IT. It was absolutely beautiful and we really enjoyd ourselves. But it is also worth remembering, that you can try Mr. Sanchos for free, and if you do not like it there, it is a short (1/4 mile) beach walk to Playa Del Sol. :)

The fee covers the use of all of Playa Del Sols pool, equipment and other "toys."

Did you have any trouble getting a cab to go back? Were they open air cabs or taxi style?
Thanks

Dis4me. We had no problem getting a taxi. They are literally lined up and waiting for you, both when you get off the ship, and at whichever destination you decide to go to. Both times, we, a family of 4, were in a Nissan Sentra. But be warned, they drive like Nascar drivers, ours didn't speak to us the entire 20 minute drive, and we had no seat belts in either vehicle. Now, I understand why people "kiss the ground" when they get to their destination. LOL. :jester:

If you are in the water at Mr. Sanchos beach facing the club, is Playa del Sol to the right or left of you. We noticed another beach club to our right and was wondering if that was Play Del Sol.

We liked Mr. Sanchos but wanted to try something different next time.

MJ

Mmouse37. Yes, Play Del Sol is to your right. Actually, as you walk down the beach, you will pass a fury catamaran cruise spot, and then you will come to Playa del Sol. You can't miss it. The first thing you come upon is the area where they rent the wave runners and do parasailing, then the beach, pool, gazebo, restaurant, pier, and then the area where they have the paddle boats, iceberg and water trampoline. Great place. I highly recommend it if going to the beach is your thing.

mmouse37. I meant to say that Playa del Sol is the RIGHT of you, if you are facing the water. I have no idea what is to the left. I don't remember seeing anything down that way. :rolleyes:

Thank you....I figured that is what you meant. I also do not recall anything down the other end of the beach.

Thanks again!!

MJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter