Please be careful team

Hi John,

Most importantly I am happy to have had an actual reply, and not had my message deleted. We all have our opinions, and what I wrote is mine, of course.

I have been watching all of the content that DIS Unplugged puts out for the last few years and love everything you guys do! In addition I am very much aware of the negative resort & dining reviews etc. COVID-19 however is a completely new, dangerous and unprecedented circumstance. Florida (as well as the rest of the USA) is in absolute shambles regarding the approach set out to combat it. It is far more worse in the States now then it ever was in the early spring, anywhere in the world.

Everything really should be completely locked down (I know, political) for the safety of everyone. Disney being open right now (in addition to almost everything else) looks REALLY bad. Just because it is open, doesn't mean it is safe. 4% of people who have contracted COVID-19 in the USA have passed away.

What's my point is outlining everything that everyone should already know.....It is worse there now then it ever has been ANYWHERE in the world. When we began this in March all of you were committed to staying the course until cases counts dropped etc. That has not happened. But now that Disney opens, everyone is first in line. Everything is getting worse literally daily, what's changed?

For context, I live in Canada. In total, country wide, 110,000 confirmed cases. If I applied the population (The U.S.A. has approx 8.6x more people then Canada) math, by comparison Canada would only have had (hypothetically) approx 946,000 confirmed cases, with a completely flattened curve. The States, 3.5 million active cases, and with a curve heading straight upwards.

Bringing this back to my point about Dreams, I think considering what is happening down there, travelling should be at the bottom of peoples to-do lists. :(

Please! I love all of you guys! Please don't put yourself at risk. Stay at home whenever possible. What I am seeing happen in the U.S.A. right now completely breaks my heart!

I don't disagree with you on the severity of the current state of COVID-19 especially in Florida. I also don't disagree with you that more extreme measures should be implemented to stop the spread of the virus. What I do disagree with is your between-the-lines implication that our going to the parks and subsequent coverage is strictly to bring in business to the Travel Agency. You might not be saying those exact words but it is what you are putting out - and I am highly offended by this.

No one who works for the company has been told they have to go to a theme park to cover it...period. You will see that several of our staff have not been in a park or on Disney property at all. That is solely their choice and I respect that. No one is in jeopardy of losing their job if they do not go to a theme park, resort of restaurant. Others are going and creating content solely of their own free will.

Not that it's anyone's business but we have managed to keep a full staff at full pay during this difficult time and I see no reason that we would have to lay anyone off or cut salaries in the near future. If this continues into fall/winter that may change but for right now I've worked very hard to keep us fully staffed and everyone working.

You like to bring up the fact that in March we said we weren't going to go to a theme park during COVID-19. Can't we change our minds? Can't we use current data and advise of healthcare professionals to determine when/if/how we feel safe in going to a park?

If you watch the Dreams show about Kevin and my visit to the MK last Thursday you'll see how much thought and preparation we put into going. It was not a decision we made lightly and we reevaluated at every step. Ultimately we found the steps Disney took and what they implemented along with our own precautions made us feel safe while being there.

Once again I can't believe I have to say this but at no time did we say that everyone should come back to Disney. As a matter-of-fact we have said and continue to say that everyone has to make their own decision as we did. Kevin even said on that show that while he felt safe that day he doesn't see going back until their is a major improvement with COVID-19. How is that telling people to come to Disney?

Several folks have decided to lecture me on the fact that our visit was different because we're AP holders who live locally. Yes, that's true but it doesn't change our opinion of if we felt safe that day or not.

And one final point I would like to make. I don't agree that we have to shut down everything to defeat the virus. I do feel a lot of the country, especially Florida, opened too soon and in an unsafe way and should roll back some of the openings (and maybe Disney is one of them) but I think there are ways to open back up safely. Other countries and even other states have proven this to be the case.

Wouldn't it be great if Walt Disney World proved that it's possible to open up safely if you take the proper precautions? Wouldn't it be great if WDW showed that if everyone wore a mask, properly socially distanced, practiced good hygiene and willfully looked out for everyone's health that we could return to the things we love safely?

Kevin and I have returned to self-isolation since we went to the park that day and plan to stay that way for a full 14-days. We hope we didn't catch the virus but if we did we want to ensure we don't give it to anyone else. It's all part of the idea that if we can follow some basic rules we can beat the virus through science, diligence, logic and compassion towards others.

Last edited:
Thank you to both John and Kevin for your replies, i appreciate them both.

I won't specifically reply to anything in particular, other then to say nothing is more important in life, then life itself. A theme park (even Disney) isn't worth it. I say this as a huge Disney fanatic, a DVC owner and a big supporter of The DIS!

Difference of opinion aside, all i hope is that everyone at The DIS remains healthy and safe throughout this unprecedented circumstance. It's looks very scary (up here in Canada) for all of America. As someone who loves the USA, I hope things turnaround quickly.

Thank you again! Be safe! :-)

I saw the numbers in Florida yesterday and it really has me rattled. There was 120 deaths in 24 hours and 400 new hospitalizations. I think about the lives, all the families. The impact those medical bills could have could ruin them. I thought maybe it was a fluke, then today it was 93 deaths and 435 new hospitalizations. Pulse was an absolute tragedy and had only a fraction of the impact of the last 48 hours. Now we are becoming numb to it.

And the worst part is we will do it all over again today and every day indefinitely.

Thought and prayers seem pointless. My whole way I view Disney is so deeply shook. I know zero isn’t possible...but ... this... Florida isn’t ready to host any guests yet. That’s not WDW fault, but it is where they are.

All I can do is ask those on the team to be careful. It’s just a job, please don’t feel pressure to go back before you are comfortable. Do it only for you and what’s best for you. Please don’t push through a dinner review to finish it up getting the content if something about the restaurant feels unsafe. I watched other bloggers struggle with anxiety trying to push through because it’s a job.

I can’t read about how FOP is only 20 minutes. Who even cares? Like who cares if I have to wait for hour when things are better. So what.

I also know mental health is very important and we all have to find a balance and I honor and respect everyone is navigating that.

I enjoy so many in this community. Please everyone be so careful.

I’m at Disney now. Guests are compliant and cast members have been fantastic. Don’t let your fears stop you from coming, they’ve got it covered. I feel more safe here than I do in my local wal mart.

Wouldn't it be great if WDW showed that if everyone wore a mask, properly socially distanced, practiced good hygiene and willfully looked out for everyone's health that we could return to the things we love safely?
agree. There's an idea--people behaving in a socially responsible way during the worst pandemic in 100 years. Why can't we all do that (masks, hand washing, social distancing) everywhere????

agree. There's an idea--people behaving in a socially responsible way during the worst pandemic in 100 years. Why can't we all do that (masks, hand washing, social distancing) everywhere????

it’s being done here. Out of the hundreds of people I’ve seen here I can count on one hand the number who have been non complaint.

The reason America has such terrible Covid-19 numbers in comparison to most of the rest of the world is the attitude of 'it's not going to happen to me'. Well, guess what! It could happen to you. How many other countries are complaining about lockdowns and the wearing of masks? Sure some of their citizens are, but, not in the manner that Americans are. Do as the experts on infectious diseases tell you to do and perhaps you won't have the problems that you are having. Saying that you feel safe and actually being safe are two different things.

a lot of people have the attitude that everything in life is a calculated risk and we don't ever get time back. I really disagree with people looking down and disparaging people that have decided to "live their life" for the lack of a better statement because there's a chance they could catch something that 99% of the population has no problem of beating. I'm not a believer in masks, mainly because how is something that cannot keep you safe from dust particles and air articulates to stop a virus, but I am compliant with businesses regard to their reopening procedure so if they require a mask and I need/want to enter that business I need to follow the rules. The numbers for Covid look horribly bad now because of the exponential rise in testing which is a good thing, but has to be viewed in context.

While it's good to hear that Disney is keeping the park clean and doing their best to mitigate contraction and spread, it's the conditions outside the parks and resorts that will keep posing problems for employees and guests. People are traveling from every corner of the country and bringing their cooties with them.

Disney might be good at providing entertainment but preventing a virus during a pandemic is probably not one of their strong suits.

Lots of glowing reviews and platitudes about the "magic" returning after the parks/resorts opened. Cool. Hope we start hearing about employees, guests and contractors that got sick in WDW. Should be happening within the next couple of weeks.

a lot of people have the attitude that everything in life is a calculated risk and we don't ever get time back. I really disagree with people looking down and disparaging people that have decided to "live their life" for the lack of a better statement because there's a chance they could catch something that 99% of the population has no problem of beating. I'm not a believer in masks, mainly because how is something that cannot keep you safe from dust particles and air articulates to stop a virus, but I am compliant with businesses regard to their reopening procedure so if they require a mask and I need/want to enter that business I need to follow the rules. The numbers for Covid look horribly bad now because of the exponential rise in testing which is a good thing, but has to be viewed in context.

How do you explain the huge rise in hospitalizations and the need for ICU?

Is that the result of more testing? Do you think testing makes Covid19 worse?

If we did less pregnancy tests, would we have less births?

If we did less eye tests, would less people need glasses?

I hope you see that no matter how many tests we do....more and more and more people are needing hospitalization.

In FL and TX, they are deciding if people coming to hospitals are sick enough to receive care. Thats not a result of testing in any context.

Wear a mask for me and you. If everyone does that....its been proven that the transmission lessons. That should be reason enough.

Are they perfect? No. Do they help? Proven yes. Its fairly simple.

Last edited:
Wow.

I hope you learn to dream bigger than other people getting sick.
REALLY? You HOPE to hear people get sick? Wrong, just wrong.

Yeah...I should have worded that differently.

Let me clarify that. What I meant was that I hope we will hear about any infections or complications from Disney. It's great that we get all the glowing reviews and feedback about the "fun stuff." I just hope that Disney is just as forthcoming about people that have gotten sick after spending time in the parks/resorts and restaurant.

Pros and cons needs to be discussed, not just the pros.

Apologies for not making my original point clearly. In no way shape or form do I want anyone getting this insipid virus. I had it in mid-March and it took me several weeks to kick it. It's not fun.

Let me clarify that. What I meant was that I hope we will hear about any infections or complications from Disney. It's great that we get all the glowing reviews and feedback about the "fun stuff." I just hope that Disney is just as forthcoming about people that have gotten sick after spending time in the parks/resorts and restaurant.

Apologies for not making my original point clearly. In no way shape or form do I want anyone getting this insipid virus. I had it in mid-March and it took me several weeks to kick it. It's not fun.
We haven’t heard of such from other theme parks that have been open for over a month.

Like John & Kevin said, everybody has to weigh the options before them and decide for themselves and their family whether or not going to a theme park, a restaurant, etc., is something that they are comfortable with.

That being said, all of the virtue signaling is getting old. John & Kevin are honest, stand up guys who have been very open & forthcoming about how NONE of the Dreams employees or DIS Unplugged team are being required to go to ANY theme park or restaurant right now. If YOU are not comfortable with going, then don't go! And that's fine! But please stop with the lecturing to people do choose to go.

Frankly, I appreciate the video reports that Craig & Deni have done in all of the parks. I have found it very helpful to see what it's like. The WDW parks, like the Universal ones, are basically ghost towns. Both the WDW parks AND the Universal parks appear to be taking health & safety precautions very seriously for their guests and employees. And as a future guest, I, for one, really appreciate that. Honestly, Disney & Universal appear to be doing a far better job than some places here in our neck of the woods.

If it bothers you that much to see it on video, then....stop watching the Dis Unplugged for awhile.

Of course I'll respect your health Kevin, you and and John are the bomb. Don't get me wrong I don't go out trying to buck the system, but I don't think the measures that are in place are actually as effective as people think they are.

I was speaking more towards the narrative of Covid positive cases skyrocketing, but the deaths not. To my limited online knowledge of what's going on in Florida there doesn't appear to be a hospital shortage and they're still doing elective surgeries, I'm no FL health official though and pretty much live the furthest possible ways away so I defer to you on that.

I'm sure with all the 'wait times are short, crowds are low' comments, has anyone realised that wait times a week after opening day have INCREASED at the Magic Kingdom!

Everyone is aware the Disney has not once released for public knowledge daily park capacities counts etc. And they should be, based soley on Health & Safety. To let people know how many guests are present. Why do you think that is....it's simply because they can change (increase) the number people allowed in the parks whenever they want. That park reservation system can be changed very quickly. Wait times a week later should not be longer then opening day.

I think The DIS should be setting the high bar and example for Disney bloggers. It would send an amazing message if you refused to go to the parks right now, and just continued doing what you've done for the last 4 months. I really don't think you need the 'likes' that badly, do you?

Disney can wait!

The reason America has such terrible Covid-19 numbers in comparison to most of the rest of the world is the attitude of 'it's not going to happen to me'. Well, guess what! It could happen to you. How many other countries are complaining about lockdowns and the wearing of masks? Sure some of their citizens are, but, not in the manner that Americans are. Do as the experts on infectious diseases tell you to do and perhaps you won't have the problems that you are having. Saying that you feel safe and actually being safe are two different things.

It can happen to me, and I’m an American. Who woulda thunk it. But at the same time 1000 other things could happen to me as well. I like seeing the precautions Disney is taking and even though I’m not a huge believer in masks and social distancing, I respect the fact that I need to do my part for others who are more at risk than I am. With that, I will continue to live my life and not shy away because of the “what ifs”. I am doing what the experts are telling me to do, I’m not sure what else some people are looking for.

Last edited:

you just hope you’re right. Don’t sugar coat it.

It can happen to me. But at the same time 1000 other things could happen to me as well. I like seeing the precautions Disney is taking and even though I’m not a huge believer in masks and social distancing, I respect the fact that I need to do my part for others who are more at risk than I am. With that, I will continue to live my life and not shy away because of the “what ifs”. I am doing what the experts are telling me to do, I’m not sure what else some people are looking for.

The mask is to protect others if you’re an unknowing asymptomatic spreader and don’t “believe” in staying 6 feet away from a total stranger. You at least recognize that much. The problem is many others don’t and there’s a lot of “me” and “I” and not enough “you” and “they” in consideration. So what if you personally would be fine contracting COVID, if someone you give it to will die? I don’t get how people can live with that on their conscience - if they knew that they directly infected someone and killed them, if they’d be OK with that any more than if you accidentally hit someone with your car (both completely avoidable with safety precautions). But out of sight out of mind, right? Ignorance is bliss.

For the purposes of this conversation I’ll give my 2 cents: I think WDW is as safe as any public place right now because of the precautions they’re taking, and it’s someone’s right to assess their risk in order to go provided they follow the rules to keep themselves and others safe. It is NOT their subsequent right to flout Disney’s mask mandate, travel while ill or knowingly travel with COVID, ignore the quarantine orders/local guidelines back home, and generally act like a reckless selfish entitled jerk, but good luck trying to convince them otherwise I guess if they insist on doing so anyway. We’ll be taking our planned trip in September with a clear conscience knowing we’re doing everything possible to keep ourselves and others safe, will follow the rules, and will self-quarantine for 14 days when we get back (just like we’re doing right now).

That was pretty early in the game. Were you able to get tested for the virus?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter