PLEASE check for bed bugs before accepting your room.

I've been reading this thread over the past 2 days and although thankful for the information I am soooo freaked out:scared1: and very itchy and my next WDW trip is still over a year away. This may be a crazy question but, I always bring a stuffed animal back, should I attempt to wash the plushie to make sure no eggs have traveled back home with me?

When we stayed in our bed bug room we had 3 stuffed animals and 2 blankies that are very important to the kids. I washed them in hot water and in the dryer and then I put the 3 stuffed animals in the freezer for a couple weeks to be sure. The kids weren't thrilled with that but would rather have that then throw them out! :scared1: I was fortunate to never bring the bugs back to my home. In every trip since even though I have seen no sign of the bugs I always wash the stuffed animals and blankies in hot water and dry before they come into the house just in case!:sad2:

I think I would stick it in a bag and stick in the freezer for a few days. You probably won't have a problem if there are no signs in the room of bed bugs but it doesn't hurt to be careful.

When we stayed in our bed bug room we had 3 stuffed animals and 2 blankies that are very important to the kids. I washed them in hot water and in the dryer and then I put the 3 stuffed animals in the freezer for a couple weeks to be sure. The kids weren't thrilled with that but would rather have that then throw them out! :scared1: I was fortunate to never bring the bugs back to my home. In every trip since even though I have seen no sign of the bugs I always wash the stuffed animals and blankies in hot water and dry before they come into the house just in case!:sad2:

Thanks so much. I was afraid that was a crazy question but since I hve a serious Pooh & Donald addiction I had to ask.:thumbsup2

This is what you are looking for. Bed bug poop.

if-you-like-bed-bugs.jpg
ok ewwww but thank you wanted to add I just put a lint roller in my Disney box . I will make sure to roll all 3 beds . BLECH I cant stand the thought of those things bitting my Grandchild

Bertie - I think I'd stick to magazines you can throw away at the hotel. BB's absolutely love to hide in books and such so coming from the OP I'd say better be safe than sorry. We leave in two weeks and I am so terrified we will bring BB's home again. I'm hoping our luck won't be bad two trips in a row, though!

I haven't read the entire thread, but after a few pages is seems that no one has posted any reliable pest control information (including one pest control company) that seems to be having issues eradicating your problem.

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/bed-bugs-c-39.html

The above company is reputable, and I use them to do my own pest control. They offer advice and products that actually work on the site. You would be amazed what you're paying the experts to do for you. You can even pick up the 1 Gal. garden sprayer at Lowes for $8. I've had better results on my own than with "professionals".

I have 2 cats and they're fine after years of properly applying these pesticides as needed. I'm concerned about proper pesticide use and toxicity as well. I urge you not to spray mattresses at random as the next person will need to sleep on that, and may be allergic.

I'm really glad that this thread was posted & that the Podcast crew discussed it. My husband has severe allergies to dust mites & everything else in the world, so knowing this we will be now taking precautions when we travel. We are also going to be travelling internationally in the future.

Yuck Yuck Yuck! makes me want to go bomb my own house now!

I am about a month behind on listening to my podcasts. Which date did the podcast crew discuss bedbugs? I would like to listen to it. Thanks!

Yes, Friendly Frog, libraries are a concern for me now, too. Hate that as my kids love the library. We still go almost weekly but I'm always nervous. I'm a bit jaded since this happened to me. I suspect bed bugs when I see random people on the street or mall with bites on exposed skin. I automatically assume bed bugs. Unfortunately I heard a report recently that predicted unless something was done to control these bugs that within a matter of a few years 2 out of 3 households would have bed bugs.

Yes, Friendly Frog, libraries are a concern for me now, too. Hate that as my kids love the library. We still go almost weekly but I'm always nervous. I'm a bit jaded since this happened to me. I suspect bed bugs when I see random people on the street or mall with bites on exposed skin. I automatically assume bed bugs. Unfortunately I heard a report recently that predicted unless something was done to control these bugs that within a matter of a few years 2 out of 3 households would have bed bugs.

:scared1: That is really scary!!!

Wow just reading this makes me itchy!

Can i just ask, the photo of the mattress - how can you tell the difference between the marks made by bedbugs and mould marks? :confused3

Dang after reading this whole thread I need to go shower and wash my hair.:laughing:

DH has been taking these precautions for years when we travel. I always give him the rolling eye look. He puts his suitcase on the stand won't unpack his clothes keeps them zipped in the suitcase and never puts his shoes on the floor. Always stores them up on the jacuzzi, and here I just thought he was a germ-a-phobe. My thing is we drive and just pack 2 big suitcases for all our clothes; mine and his in one and I take my stuff out and hang up and put in drawers so he'll have suitcase for his. Then all the kids in one. So you really do have to unpack. Guess I might have to just do one suitcase per person but that takes up a lot of space in the van, and I'm thinking ziploc bags for 5 peoples weeks worth of clothes can get pretty expensive. yikes maybe I'll just stay home. Creepy

Dang after reading this whole thread I need to go shower and wash my hair.:laughing:

DH has been taking these precautions for years when we travel. I always give him the rolling eye look. He puts his suitcase on the stand won't unpack his clothes keeps them zipped in the suitcase and never puts his shoes on the floor. Always stores them up on the jacuzzi, and here I just thought he was a germ-a-phobe. My thing is we drive and just pack 2 big suitcases for all our clothes; mine and his in one and I take my stuff out and hang up and put in drawers so he'll have suitcase for his. Then all the kids in one. So you really do have to unpack. Guess I might have to just do one suitcase per person but that takes up a lot of space in the van, and I'm thinking ziploc bags for 5 peoples weeks worth of clothes can get pretty expensive. yikes maybe I'll just stay home. Creepy

You can get two large or one jumbo zipper bag for a dollar at some of the dollar stores. I think the jumbo bag is large enough for a med. sized suitcase, and the bags can be used several times before the zipper seals die.

:scared::faint:

Wow just reading this makes me itchy!

Can i just ask, the photo of the mattress - how can you tell the difference between the marks made by bedbugs and mould marks? :confused3

Just take the blow dryer on medium heat and point it to the corner of the mattress. These buggers will think it's chow time and come up for some free dining. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!