Please help with choosing restaurants (Half Board Plus Meal Plan)

Agent 86

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

I'm coming up to the opening of the booking window to book buffet and table service restaurants in Disneyland Paris. I will be visiting for 3.5 days.

I have the Half Board Plus Meal Plan, which seems to give me the options listed in the "Plus" column on this page: http://www.dlpguide.com/planning/dining/meal-plans/#Choice_of_Restaurants

I've been trying to do some research on the best restaurants, but I get a lot of ... mixed information.

For example, the trusted Disney Tourist Blog essentially says that the food is almost universally ... standard fare and that dining should therefore focus on the theming rather than the food: http://www.disneytouristblog.com/disneyland-paris-top-restaurants-theme/

I'm not opposed to that approach, but I would prefer a mix of good food and immersive theming. And a lot of the restaurants recommended by Disney Tourist Blog aren't included with the meal plan.

I prefer to eat in the parks themselves, but if there was a restaurant at one of the hotels which was included in the meal plan and which came highly recommended, then I'd be happy to try it.

At the moment, my shortlist of restaurants, for one meal each day, would include:

- Bistro Chez Remy (table service)
- Captain Jack's (table service)
- Agrabah Café (buffet)
- Silver Spur Steakhouse (table service)

I'm tempted to replace the Silver Spur Steakhouse with the Plaza Gardens restaurant since it is a buffet which may mean that I only need to eat in one restaurant that day (which would save money).

If I end up having two meals per day, then I'll probably choose some of the restaurants recommended by Disney Tourist Blog for the second meal (e.g. Toad Hall).

Thanks in advance for any advice and recommendations!

Hi from Germany!

We will go to DLP is quite a few days and here is are my reservations for the Half Board Plus Meal Plan :thumbsup2

Mo 26th March - Annette Diner (great meal)
Tue 27th March - Captain Jack's Restaurant (fantastic atmosphere)
Wed 28th March - Bistrot Chez Remy (never been there before)
Thu 29th March - Yacht Club Newport Bay Hotel (in my opinion the best food in DLP)
Fri 30th March - Buffalo Bill Wild West Show (use the voucher and pay the difference)
Sa 31st March - The Steak House at the Disney Village (never been there before)

I hope that helps a little bit.

One advice: Use the reservation hotline and book your restaurant times before you go.

:disrocks:

If you go 3.5 days (I assume 3 nights?) you'll have 3 diner vouchers, since you have 4 restaurants listed, I wanted to make sure you're aware of that.

Thanks. We’re actually there for four nights / five days, but playing it safe my planning for 3.5 days. So, we should get a voucher for each night.

And thanks to both OlafLover and ThBa for the recommendations to date. The Yacht Club has rocketed up the list, especially as we’re staying at Newport Bay.

We too are on the half board plus dinning plan... and I am sitting here right now trying to figure it out... we will have 3 nights so 3 voucher...

We are leaning toward, Chez Remy, The buffet at Newport Bay, Capitan Jacks, Or one of the steakhouses, or Agrabah Café... I need to book later on today or tomorrow... but I'm just not sure... I guess it will depend on what available...

Thanks everyone. So, my revised shortlist is:

- Bistro Chez Remy (table service)
- Captain Jack's (table service)
- Plaza Gardens (buffet)*
- Cape Code (buffet)**

* replaced Agrabah Café as I remembered that we ate there in 2013 and it was very disappointing. I may change it back to Agrabah Café as more recent reviews indicate that it's pretty good.
** may be replaced by Hunter's Grill and Beaver Creek Tavern at Sequoia Lodge as we'll be eating breakfast at Cape Code and a change of scenery might be good. I also like the look of the theming of Sequoia Lodge and it was the other hotel that we were thinking of staying at.

We ate at Hunter's Grill one evening last October - it was our first time there and we enjoyed it. Also ate at Agrabah for the first time in over 5 years, some of the reviews had been a bit worrying but we weren't disappointed.

Agent 86, I'm so impressed with your Disney resume. Tokyo Disney 4 times. Wow! I long to go back.

I'm appreciating the discussion here as well as the links. We will only have 2 nights at Newport Bay Club, so 2 "plus" vouchers. I think Chez Remy sounds different and fun. Since we go to Disneyland California often, we can eat at Blue Bayou there, so I'd like to find another very unique setting. We are not huge foodies, and are a bit picky, but also like to try new things. I have some research to do! The Agrabah buffet is intriguing.

So, for table service with a set menu -- is it the same for lunch or dinner? OR do they switch the menu? At Chez REmy, they have two menus, one with a much higher price. Does the "Plus" voucher just work for the lesser priced one? I have so much to learn -- this will be our first "meal plan" in any Disney park.

So, for table service with a set menu -- is it the same for lunch or dinner? OR do they switch the menu?

I’m not sure. But, I think you can pay the difference if you want the higher priced set meal (i.e. other than the designated meal for the Half Board Plus plan).

The menu is the same for lunch and dinner and the plus voucher gives you the higher priced 3 course Emile menu (the lower priced 2 course Remy menu is for standard vouchers). If you have a meal plan you will also have one soft drink included and if you wish to partake in the wine option (or purchase additional drinks) then you just pay the difference.

Bistrot Chez Remy is VERY french, so picky eaters may not enjoy. Ie, pate de fois gras (YUMMY!), and of course Ratatouille. I can't remember all the menu, but those were the most "normal" things on it, lol. The theming is amazing, and imho worth a visit even if you were to walk out hungry.

We also enjoyed King Ludwigs very much. Yummy cocktails, delicious meats etc. We had a meat platter that was served over sauerkraut, with potatoes. It was wonderful. Again, the theming was terrific.

Bistrot Chez Remy is VERY french, so picky eaters may not enjoy. Ie, pate de fois gras (YUMMY!), and of course Ratatouille. I can't remember all the menu, but those were the most "normal" things on it, lol. The theming is amazing, and imho worth a visit even if you were to walk out hungry.

We also enjoyed King Ludwigs very much. Yummy cocktails, delicious meats etc. We had a meat platter that was served over sauerkraut, with potatoes. It was wonderful. Again, the theming was terrific.

Just so OP is aware - you cant use the meal vouchers in Ludwigs as it isnt Disney owned but I agree everytime we've been there the food has been really good.

The cheaper menu at Remys has a salad to start (no other option) and then usually a choice of 3 mains including steak, a fish dish and a vegetarian dish - all served with a side dish of Ratatouille. - so not unusual food
The foie gras is on the more expensive menu

At chez Remy, if you're entitled to the more expensive meal but want the cheaper one, would they allow that? I'll have to look the menus over closer. So, the stereotype for French meals is that the food is beautiful but barely any food. Should we expect this? LOL :) We are not huge eaters so we often split meals in the USA and Disneyland. Not so much at Disney Tokyo.

Yes, they will allow you to choose the cheaper option, you just won't be given any change so will lose the difference.

We find the meals at DLP are just the right size - at WDW and DL they really are over generous!

At what point can begin booking reservations? 90 or 60 days out? We are going in July and staying at Davy Crockett's Ranch.

Just in case anyone stumbles across this thread in the future. Ultimately we chose to book:

- Agrabah Café
- Chez Remy
- Captain Jack's
- Plaza Gardens

Agrabah Café was something of a disappointment. I liked their selection of salads and vegetables, but otherwise there wasn't a lot to choose from. The dessert was particularly disappointing. They also seemed insistent on crowding everyone into limited areas when a lot of the restaurant was empty, although that seemed to happen everywhere we ate.

Chez Remy was perfectly nice, but unremarkable. I was disappointed that we were kept waiting for at least 10 minutes in a crowded waiting area with limited seating, even though we had a reservation. Our server was quite good.

Captain Jack's ... we ended up walking out. The person who seated us couldn't answer basic questions. We waited at least 15 minutes for our server to even come to the table to take our order. We wanted to "upgrade" from the included meal / menu to the next level meal / menu and were told that it would cost an extra 15 to 25 pounds and that we wouldn't a soft drink (even though it was included with the cheaper menu). So, we left.

Plaza Gardens was packed and a little chaotic, but awesome. A huge range of food. A huge range of desserts, including ice cream cones. And UNLIMITED soft drinks (everywhere else we only received a single soft drink). The drink servers were also pretty quick to get refills (and clear away dirty plates).

So, I'd strongly recommend Plaza Gardens above all of the other restaurants.

We did consider going to the Silver Spur Steakhouse, but it was only open for lunch. As we had the buffet breakfast included at the hotel, we weren't eating "big" lunches (instead just sharing a single quick service meal from a counter restaurant).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!