Please TIP, for goodness sake.

So... I waited tables for about 10 years. In my experience, you are wrong about this. We were required to claim the higher of our credit card tips or 7% of the non-tax revenue for taxes. This, I think, is the real reason most wait staff do not want to move to a non-tip environment. They would pay much more in taxes as a lot of their income (especially cash tips) are often tax-free money.
Well this is intersting to know. Thank you for clearing it up. I'm sorry I was wrong. I was told this by someone who else waited tables from Oregon. Maybe it is different state to state I'm not sure as some states do their state taxes different. Again I was only going by what another waiter told me.

BTW - we once tried to tip a Disney bus driver as he took us from OKW straight to Contemporary rather than MK bus station, for 7am ADR but he told us they are not allowed to take tips.
This is a perfect example of where a tip is justified. I do believe American employers wish more and more of their employees could be tipped so they wouldn't have to foot the bill for them. And the American culture seems to want to tip more and more people that shouldn't be tipped.

But I will add that I too am guilty of this at times. I do tip housekeeping at Disney when it is not a tipped position.

I am not going to get upset about what other people do because I know from my own experience with family that some people genuinely do not know. My husband and I travel frequently and we know the norms and expectations for tipping. However, I did not grow up traveling by plane or having anyone else handle my luggage, we never stayed anywhere that had room service, and we very rarely ate at any type of restaurant that required tipping. I didn't even know about tipping for luggage handling until I was married to someone who travels frequently! So in that sense, if someone is visiting Disney for the very first time as a family and this is a big once in a lifetime trip, they might not know to tip a driver, someone helping them push their luggage to their rooms, or even to tip the housekeeper. Yes, it is very expensive, and yes, they could have added tips into their budgeting, but if you don't know, you don't know. I have family members who still as adults do not travel enough to know the expectations. Again, I'm not excusing it, but there are people who really don't know.

Edited to remove comment; hadn't realized how far back the comment I replied to was, nor how far the conversation had gone since then.

Last edited:
Hi - sorry for the dumb question - but I just want to bring it back to the original topic because I am a non-wealthy millennial who wasn't raised with much luxury and who doesn't have much experience with anyone carrying stuff for me. I genuinely do not know the proper etiquette. Obviously I know to tip at restaurants and for food delivery, but what is the ACTUAL proper etiquette for something like this when you're being driven in a bus and helped with luggage? How much in terms of %? Does it also apply to bell services? I just want to do the right thing. Thank you!

Hi - sorry for the dumb question - but I just want to bring it back to the original topic because I am a non-wealthy millennial who wasn't raised with much luxury and who doesn't have much experience with anyone carrying stuff for me. I genuinely do not know the proper etiquette. Obviously I know to tip at restaurants and for food delivery, but what is the ACTUAL proper etiquette for something like this when you're being driven in a bus and helped with luggage? How much in terms of %? Does it also apply to bell services? I just want to do the right thing. Thank you!

$2 per bag and round up to the nearest $5 (so, give $5 for 2 bags, $10 for 4 bags, etc) is a good starting point. Yes, same to bell services, but I only usually tip the person who brings the bags to the room, unless they are also unloading my car. Then, I tip at that point and again when the bags get brought to the room.

you can consult online guides and Emily Post, but I believe the norm for tipping skycaps or bus drivers who handle your luggage at least $1-3 per bag. I believe it’s the same for bell services. Housekeeping should be tipped every day they service your room and the norm for that is $2-5.

We never tipped housekeeping.

See I 100% don't get tipping housekeeping. Disney is the only place in the world that I have been that they force themselves in to your room daily. I have said this on the security change thread and that is when I get to a hotel I put the DND on the door and when I leave I take it off.

All my trash is in the trashcan or stacked next to it, all my towels are in a single pile in the bathroom, and there is nothing crazy going on inside the room.

I am pretty sure paying to have a clean room when I enter the resort is the basis of staying at the hotel (otherwise I wouldn't stay at that place again).

I have given tips directly to HK when they delivered a crib to the room or extra towels.

Travel is a luxury, no matter if you are staying at the Four Seasons or All Stars. If you can afford a vacation you can afford to tip. I don't like to carry cash, but I do while on vacation so I can tip properly. People love to plan their Disney vacations. Think of this as another row or column on your spreadsheet.

Or don't force a "service" on people who do not want it. A good example I am perfectly capable and willing to put my luggage below the bus, carry it to my room (give me the bell cart like every other hotel), and go without HS the whole week. Disney forces these things on people.

I understand the need to tip in various aspects of life. I also believe businesses should be run to where tipping should strictly be not allowed, every place like that I have been even though food or drinks might cost more I am actually more willing to come back.

This last trip as an example we did tip the bus driver for helping with bags and I also tipped HS for bringing up a Crib + Towels.

In the end taking the original comment aside there is a serious issue at Disney when tipping is expected when prices are so much more than the general market. Disney can get away with what they want to charge but their employees need to hold them accountable if better pay is needed. To end this with a little absurdity are we going to see people palming a $5 when shaking the skippers hand on the jungle cruise?

Or don't force a "service" on people who do not want it. A good example I am perfectly capable and willing to put my luggage below the bus, carry it to my room (give me the bell cart like every other hotel), and go without HS the whole week. Disney forces these things on people.

I understand the need to tip in various aspects of life. I also believe businesses should be run to where tipping should strictly be not allowed, every place like that I have been even though food or drinks might cost more I am actually more willing to come back.

This last trip as an example we did tip the bus driver for helping with bags and I also tipped HS for bringing up a Crib + Towels.

In the end taking the original comment aside there is a serious issue at Disney when tipping is expected when prices are so much more than the general market. Disney can get away with what they want to charge but their employees need to hold them accountable if better pay is needed. To end this with a little absurdity are we going to see people palming a $5 when shaking the skippers hand on the jungle cruise?
You can surely afford it if you can afford to go on vacation. Accept it and tip or stay home. It is part of the social contract of traveling. Why be petty about it?

You can surely afford it if you can afford to go on vacation. Accept it and tip or stay home. It is part of the social contract of traveling. Why be petty about it?
Not having luggage carts at each building in SSR is not "petty". There is no reason for me to drive to Carriage House to drop my bags off, then follow the golf cart in my car to my building, when the bags could just stay in my car to the front of the building. I can unload myself, and it would be much more convenient with a luggage cart (like they have at Disney's Vero Beach Resort or Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort). However, as they are trying to "force" you to use bell services, I have procured a foldable hand truck, which actually works quite well. It would still be easier with the luggage cart...

Not having luggage carts at each building in SSR is not "petty". There is no reason for me to drive to Carriage House to drop my bags off, then follow the golf cart in my car to my building, when the bags could just stay in my car to the front of the building. I can unload myself, and it would be much more convenient with a luggage cart (like they have at Disney's Vero Beach Resort or Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort). However, as they are trying to "force" you to use bell services, I have procured a foldable hand truck, which actually works quite well. It would still be easier with the luggage cart...
It sounds like you are talking about a different situation than what we were discussing. Enjoy your hand truck!

Love my hand truck. Enjoy forking out around $20 each time you check in/out...

I have only once out of 40 some-odd trips had to tip bell services for handling my luggage (AKL last year). We drive and unload our luggage ourselves and bring it to our room. SSR, BLT, BWV, AKL, OKW and POLY. We ask for a cart sometimes. Sometimes we walk it from the car to the room.

To be clear...

I am all for Bell Services and for tipping Bell Services... if you need the service. A lot of people need it/like it and that is great. I have no problem taking my own luggage to the room, however, and it is a bit frustrating that sometimes Disney does what they can to impede that...

Where is this social contract I signed? I travel a ton for work and have travel a bunch personally even when I was a kid. I probably have had a single instance of tipping per vacation maybe like 1% of the time outside of restaurants/bars. I carry my own luggage, I don't use housekeeping (DND when I enter), and I don't ask for extra things.

So there is no pettiness about Disney forcing these situations where tipping is all but required. Its uncomfortable, I don't want that service typically, and its a negative on Disney to not be paying their CMs enough that they have rules against receiving tips.

I tip if it calls for it and I said as much in my post.

Also afford going on vacation has zero correlation to being able to afford or want to give in to all these optional I mean required tips.

It sounds like you are talking about a different situation than what we were discussing. Enjoy your hand truck!

It is not different. This whole needing to tip is based on Disney forcing you in to tipping situations. Instead of having bells carts where they are accessible they hide them away. If you just ask for the cart and not help you are now a bad guy because the only reason you are not taking help is to avoid tipping. Thus this situation Disney puts you in.

I have no problem taking my own luggage to the room, however, and it is a bit frustrating that sometimes Disney does what they can to impede that...

Exactly my point. There are plenty of things that Disney is the one basically putting service requirements on a certain step. I am fine if these service requirements are gratis but when a "optional" required tip then is involved its a tad much.

Really the primary location where I understand the tipping is restaurants. There is a personalized service that happens over a prolonged time.

I rationalize Lyft/Uber based on my "tip" being my actual payment for the ride and the baseline fee from "Lyfe/Uber" is like hiring a headhunter for recruiting a driver for me.

In the end I just think Disney should have a no tipping policy outside the restaurants and pay these people more. Heck Disney could even pay them per bag a flat rate fee.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter