Plus size and Disneyland

noahsmom

17 and counting
I’m a WDW veteran and have never had an issue fitting on the rides. Going DL Sunday with my son who’s stationed in San Diego. Are the rides at DL plus size friendly?

Last edited:
Wife and I are also Pooh sized. Never had any issues at DL. I will admit Goofys is a tight squeeze, but I hate that ride so it’s a non-issue for me lol.
On some of the older dark rides (Pinocchio, Snow White), you may want to sit in the two different rows of the ride vehicle, rather than sitting together.
Space mountain can be uncomfortable if you’ve got larger legs, as the bar pins your legs together, but I’ve never had a problem riding and it’s one of my favs!

Long story short, you should be fine on just about everything! One of the things we love about Disney!

Shouldn't be a problem. My friend is a big guy and he had little problems. A few things were a bit tight on leg room, but pretty much about the same as at WDW. We didn't even do Sky School, though I think it would have been possible but not comfortable for him.

Oh also, the silly symphony swings can be uncomfortable with larger hips. I’m a size 20 and can fit, but it’s not the best situation!

I'm a size 22 and there's nothing I don't ride at Disney for comfort reasons (motion sickness reasons are another story. . .). Some rides are a little more uncomfortable, like the Fantasyland dark rides and Goofy's, but I still ride them. It's not like Universal where there are some rides you just can't go on (like the Hogwarts ride) if you're too big. One note is that on Big Thunder there's a single lap bar per row, so if you're with someone smaller there'll be a lot more wiggle room for your seatmate. My sister (size 2) loves riding with me because she can get quite a bit of air on the dips, but some people might freak out about it.

It's not like Universal where there are some rides you just can't go on (like the Hogwarts ride) if you're too big.

Everyone's particular dimensions when being a certain size are different. When I was a 22 (and squeezed into it) I could ride Forbidden Journey. Even before they changed the restraints on the outside. (gringott's didn't exist when I was that size but I'm sure I would have been fine on that, too, since I could ride Mummy)

Ad my then-husband had two rides at Disneyland he could not do. One is gone (Maliboomer) and the other is now known as Goofy's Sky School. He also couldn't ride any of the big rides at Universal. And because Hippogriff restraints in Hollywood are different than in Orlando, he coudln't ride that ride in California, either. If he had been over 6 feet he probably could have ridden more. If he had skinny legs rather than tree trunk legs he could have at least ridden Mummy, Gringott's, and even Sky School. Alas...

Because Disney has more family and fewer thrill rides, they are *better*, but depending on actual size you can still hit limits.

It depends on your shape, but I'm on the smaller side of plus size (18w pants size) and I have never had an issue. Goofy's Sky School, as others have said, can be a tight fit. I was able to ride, but bruised my leg. Matterhorn can be a trick but if you just pull the seatbelt up before you sit down, it's usually fine.

It depends on your shape, but I'm on the smaller side of plus size (18w pants size) and I have never had an issue. Goofy's Sky School, as others have said, can be a tight fit. I was able to ride, but bruised my leg. Matterhorn can be a trick but if you just pull the seatbelt up before you sit down, it's usually fine.
This is a good tip for Radiator Springs Racers and Indiana Jones also. If you have wider hips, grab the seatbelt before you sit down on those as well.

Sometimes it isn’t the ride vehicles that are an issue. The lines in Fantasyland have turnstiles in them that can be a tight squeeze. I lift my park bag up on top of the turnstile and turn sideways to go through.

I have some issues with being tall (6’5”). Knees have to be cocked to the side on many rides. Haunted mansion my head has to be tilted to one side to fit. GSS is the hardest to get in and most uncomfortable to ride. Second is Pooh ride.

I have some issues with being tall (6’5”). Knees have to be cocked to the side on many rides. Haunted mansion my head has to be tilted to one side to fit. GSS is the hardest to get in and most uncomfortable to ride. Second is Pooh ride.
For Pooh, sit in the front row for more knee room.

Also, I’m surprised no one has mentioned Star Tours. I’d actually say it’s second only to Goofy Sky School in terms of width.

I'm 6' 3" used to be about 400, first time I went to DL at that weight was April 2018, then I could ride everything in the park except Space Mountain, and even then I could get in the ride but it felt tight, turns out I didn't know of the leg cross method which changed everything.

since then I am down about 60 lb and have visited DL on 2 separate 10 day trips (Oct 2018/Feb 2019)

I can fit on everything, leg cross method makes Space Mountain a breeze now.

Also I am sure you know pull the seatbelt out first and buckle it before sitting it on any ride (Indy, Star Tours, Guardians,matterhorn)

For Radiator Springs for some reason people say to sit in the back, no, sit in the front FOR SURE.

As for matterhorn, only sit in the front, and if you arent tall you will have no issues, I used to HATE matterhorn, even crossing my legs my knees still were even with vehicle opening and it banged my knees up SO BAD i couldn't walk comfortably after.

This past trip I discovered if you are tall and you do cross your legs you can slide your body down a bit and your knees can get inside the vehicle comfortably and then you have a bunch more room vs sitting up straight with your legs against your chest.

It's really hard to explain in text.

Either way hope that helps

I'm 6' 3" used to be about 400, first time I went to DL at that weight was April 2018, then I could ride everything in the park except Space Mountain, and even then I could get in the ride but it felt tight, turns out I didn't know of the leg cross method which changed everything.

since then I am down about 60 lb and have visited DL on 2 separate 10 day trips (Oct 2018/Feb 2019)

I can fit on everything, leg cross method makes Space Mountain a breeze now.

Also I am sure you know pull the seatbelt out first and buckle it before sitting it on any ride (Indy, Star Tours, Guardians,matterhorn)

For Radiator Springs for some reason people say to sit in the back, no, sit in the front FOR SURE.

As for matterhorn, only sit in the front, and if you arent tall you will have no issues, I used to HATE matterhorn, even crossing my legs my knees still were even with vehicle opening and it banged my knees up SO BAD i couldn't walk comfortably after.

This past trip I discovered if you are tall and you do cross your legs you can slide your body down a bit and your knees can get inside the vehicle comfortably and then you have a bunch more room vs sitting up straight with your legs against your chest.

It's really hard to explain in text.

Either way hope that helps

I just wanted to say congrats on the weight loss! That's amazing. Definitely not an easy task.

Sometimes it isn’t the ride vehicles that are an issue. The lines in Fantasyland have turnstiles in them that can be a tight squeeze. I lift my park bag up on top of the turnstile and turn sideways to go through.

True. My friend probably had more trouble with these than anything. There are so many turnstiles at DL! They are not needed. They should take cue from WDW and take them out.

Astro Orbitor is not designed for large people. I fit, and I could get myself out, but it was not comfortable or enjoyable. Other than that, the only ride I think is uncomfortable is Goofy's Sky School. And yes to the turnstyles in Fantasyland--I stand on my tiptoes to get my widest parts over the top of the bar--being tall does have advantages. :)

Ok, here some rides you may want separate rows, otherwise, here a list of rides that can have issues:
  • Gadgets Go Coaster
  • Space Mountain - The lap bar can be tight at the knees
  • Matterhorn - Sit in the front of either bobsled car and it will help
  • Star Tours - For some it may be better to ask for the accessible seat
  • Splash Mountain - do not sit in the front, it will be almost impossible to get out. The back is much better
  • Goofy's Sky School
  • Jumpin' Jellyfish

Not saying these aren't doable, just be aware that they may be harder to do for larger guests.

I’m a WDW veteran and have never had an issue fitting on the rides. Going DL Sunday with my son who’s stationed in San Diego. Are the rides at DL plus size friendly?

Every single ride is plus size friendly. Did you mean tall or heavy set? The Matterhorn was a bit tough, but I rode everything just fine!

Some of the rides have a very short loading/unloading cycle. So if you will be needing a bit of extra time to get adjusted getting in or out of the vehicles, let CMs know ahead of time. For example, at SM, which has a short loading cycle, CMs can direct you to the disabled loading area where you will have all the time you need to load/unload.

Any considerations for a plus size person riding RSR or Incredicoaster? I've not rode those before and am hoping to on my visit soon. I haven't had issues on any other ride before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter