Points allocation??

butsy113

AKV Owner
We aren't ones that normally cancel trips, so I just need to clarify something (April UY). We have a big trip planned in June 2018 using 2018 & 2019 points. I have 59 2019 points left, and want to borrow them to book a week in December 2018 for my husband and I. If the trip gets cancelled will they use those borrowed 59 points in the June reservation, and leave me with 59 points from the 2018 UY so that I can bank them? We would obviously have to cancel before the June trip.

Hope I explained this right, lol!

I just dealt with a points allocation issue, which I still have to deal with further in a couple months due to holding limitations. But I was surprised to learn how points were allocated, but luckily Disney was able to help me re-allocate them appropriately. To your question.

As in my case, any new reservation will use the points that are currently available. So your June reservation will use the 2018 and 2019 points originally booked and the 59 remaining borrowed points will be used in the second reservation. If/When the December booking is canceled then the 2019 borrow points will be added to your available points in 2018. You would have to call DVC before your June trip to have these points re-allocated to draw from all the 2019 borrowed points (I just did this and it was pretty easy), otherwise the June trip will use the originally used 2018 and 2019 points leaving you in a use, rent, or lose situation with the 2019 points borrowed for the December reservation. With that all in mind, if you go on the June trip and dont cancel the December trip until after your trip, you will be stuck with the borrowed 2019 points to be used in 2018.

Also, as a reminder, if you do bank your 2018 points they will have to be used in 2019, whereas if you dont borrow the remaining 2019 points they could be banked to 2020 if desired.

I hope this helps and with the caveat that this is my understanding of the system and not guaranteed to be 100% accurate :)

I just dealt with a points allocation issue, which I still have to deal with further in a couple months due to holding limitations. But I was surprised to learn how points were allocated, but luckily Disney was able to help me re-allocate them appropriately. To your question.

As in my case, any new reservation will use the points that are currently available. So your June reservation will use the 2018 and 2019 points originally booked and the 59 remaining borrowed points will be used in the second reservation. If/When the December booking is canceled then the 2019 borrow points will be added to your available points in 2018. You would have to call DVC before your June trip to have these points re-allocated to draw from all the 2019 borrowed points (I just did this and it was pretty easy), otherwise the June trip will use the originally used 2018 and 2019 points leaving you in a use, rent, or lose situation with the 2019 points borrowed for the December reservation. With that all in mind, if you go on the June trip and dont cancel the December trip until after your trip, you will be stuck with the borrowed 2019 points to be used in 2018.

Also, as a reminder, if you do bank your 2018 points they will have to be used in 2019, whereas if you dont borrow the remaining 2019 points they could be banked to 2020 if desired.

I hope this helps and with the caveat that this is my understanding of the system and not guaranteed to be 100% accurate :)

This is exactly how I thought it would work! Sometimes I just need to bounce it off someone to be sure my thought process is accurate Normally I would wait, but we have just enough points left for a value studio so I am going to hope we luck into getting that first day for the booking! Wish me luck!!

One other thing to keep in mind. I believe you have to reallocate 31 days prior to the June trip or else the points you free up become holding points which are worse than regular borrowed points.

One other thing to keep in mind. I believe you have to reallocate 31 days prior to the June trip or else the points you free up become holding points which are worse than regular borrowed points.

I've never heard this??? It's just a reallocation, and no change in the reservation. Plus it is way before my banking window. This doesn't really make sense in my head at all. Are you 100% sure about that?

We aren't ones that normally cancel trips, so I just need to clarify something (April UY). We have a big trip planned in June 2018 using 2018 & 2019 points. I have 59 2019 points left, and want to borrow them to book a week in December 2018 for my husband and I. If the trip gets cancelled will they use those borrowed 59 points in the June reservation, and leave me with 59 points from the 2018 UY so that I can bank them? We would obviously have to cancel before the June trip.

A really good Member Services person can help set you straight. We have multiple membership numbers, multiple contracts and more than two use years. It is a real chore to keep everything organized and current, and when I find myself getting off track, I'll call MS; I usually know right away if the person on the phone is someone that is well-versed on the ins and outs. They will always lead me in the right direction with borrowing, banking, etc. and helping me get back on track. I had some really wonderful MS people help me thru a very difficult Christmas trip that is coming up using 4 different contracts and spanning a couple of weeks. I kept typewritten notes while they spoke, asked a hundred questions, typed out each answer, had them repeat answers just to make sure I understood....and made sure they understood that I did not want any points going into holding if plans changed and all that. They were really great. If things change, call them and they will help you tweak you points.

Yes but you would have to do it 31 days or more prior to the June trip. At 30 days changes to a reservation place points into holding.

Yep. This is correct. You can still reallocate less than 30 days before your June trip, it the points freed up would be in holding, which is not something you would probably want.

The rest of your thinking is correct. Just an FYI, I have had several dvc cms who did not know that you were allowed to reallocate points, much less how to do it. Just call back or ask for a supervisor if the cm you get gives you a bad feeling when talking about reallocating your points.

I've never heard this??? It's just a reallocation, and no change in the reservation. Plus it is way before my banking window. This doesn't really make sense in my head at all. Are you 100% sure about that?

There may be something to this. I know in my case I have to wait 60 days before I can reallocate my points in holding to my next reservation and they need to be done 30 days before my reservation. So I basically have a 1 month window that I can do my reallocation. I am not 100% on the rules for this, definitely worth asking a DVC cast member, as someone suggested, over the phone. Just make sure they seem knowledgeable about the whole process. :)

There may be something to this. I know in my case I have to wait 60 days before I can reallocate my points in holding to my next reservation and they need to be done 30 days before my reservation. So I basically have a 1 month window that I can do my reallocation. I am not 100% on the rules for this, definitely worth asking a DVC cast member, as someone suggested, over the phone. Just make sure they seem knowledgeable about the whole process. :)
You can't reallocate holding points unless the room is still available. Reallocation isn't a loophole for getting around the 60-day booking restriction.

Yes but you would have to do it 31 days or more prior to the June trip. At 30 days changes to a reservation place points into holding.

Thank you! The way you worded it helped it click in my mind :) Definitely cancel before 31 days!

Can't you just reallocate right away (after booking your Dec trip)? Use all your borrowed 2019 points for the June trip, leaving only 2018 points for the Dec trip? Then you'd have until 31 days prior to your Dec trip to cancel and bank.

Can't you just reallocate right away (after booking your Dec trip)? Use all your borrowed 2019 points for the June trip, leaving only 2018 points for the Dec trip? Then you'd have until 31 days prior to your Dec trip to cancel and bank.

That is a good idea, I dont see why that wouldnt work. If you do that let me know how it works out for future planning purposes.

The only thing I’m not sure about is if Member services can hold a reservation while removing the points used to book it. When you borrow to make reservation #2 then cancel those points are avail in your account to make another reservation so they can swap them with those tied up in reservation #1. However if the points are currently being used to hold reservation #2 they aren’t “available points “ and I’m not sure if the system allows them to use those points for reservation #1 while still holding reservation #2. I have a similar situation though so if you try this and it works I’d love to know.

I don't believe it's possible to reallocate from one existing trip to another existing trip. Maybe with supervisor help that could possibly hold the one reservation But I"m doubtful of them making that happen.

If you want to free up the 2018 points for your Dec reservation, you'd have to book something now with those points, cancel that trip which puts them into your account as borrowed. Then call MS to have them reallocated into your June 2018 trip, which would free up the points for when you book December. Given that we are coming up on December booking soon, you could do it now. Just find a reservation to book with the same points, borrow, cancel, and call!

Then, you'll be all set when it is time to actually book.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter