Points Question

IrishEye

Sláinte mhaith!
August use year

Will be booking for Thanksgiving Time

Will book home resort but looking to change to another resort at 7 months

Is the best way to do this, bank remaining 2017 points now and reserve home resort in December with borrowed points so if I am able to secure non home resort at 7 months the points from home reservation go back into 2018 ? If I don't bank and then cancel after bank deadline those points would go to holding with a deadline to use ? There is also always a chance that if there are snow days to make up, the break could be cut short and we would have to cancel that way.

Thanksgiving is in your 2018 use year. You’ll need to bank any 2017 points in order to use them for that reservation.

Once 2017 points are banked into 2018, they remain standard points that need to be used by the end of July 2019

If you cancel >31 days before your Nov check in, they remain “normal” points that have to be used in 2018. (I.e if you cancel the Nov trip in September 2018, points don’t go into holding)

Points only go into holding if you cancel <31 days out
(I think I might be a day off in the cancellation day)

August use year

Will be booking for Thanksgiving Time

Will book home resort but looking to change to another resort at 7 months

Is the best way to do this, bank remaining 2017 points now and reserve home resort in December with borrowed points so if I am able to secure non home resort at 7 months the points from home reservation go back into 2018 ? If I don't bank and then cancel after bank deadline those points would go to holding with a deadline to use ? There is also always a chance that if there are snow days to make up, the break could be cut short and we would have to cancel that way.

I'll start with how points could be used:

With an August UY for a 2018 November reservation you can use any combination of the following points to book. Banked 2017 points, current 2018 points or you can borrow 2019 points.

If at anytime you borrow the 2019 points into your 2018 UY for part or all of a reservation then those points will remain in the 2018 UY and would have to be used for a stay by July 31, 2019 or they would expire. Borrowed points cannot be put back into the UY they were borrowed from.

Not knowing the full details of how many points you have to work with in each UY and the point requirements of each reservation I'm just guessing that you might be thinking you borrow 2018 points for this reservation but that is not correct.

Regarding holding - points are only placed in holding if you cancel a reservation less than 31 days prior to check in. If you cancel 31 days or more in advance of check in the points are returned to the status they were when you made the reservation. That means that banked and borrowed points are still banked and borrowed and need to be used before July 31, 2019 or they would expire. The current 2018 points could be used for a different reservation in your 2018 UY or they could be banked by March 31, 2019 to use in your 2019 UY.

There is info on here somewhere on how to use 2 browsers or 2 computers or something like that to secure a new reservation without fully cancelling your original reservation using the same points. Not sure....but I think that's what your dilemma is....?

No matter what bank your 2017 points (if you are not using for a trip in your 2017 use year).

Book home resort @ 11 months.

Use 2 computer method to book non home resort @ 7 months using same points that 11 mo ressie is using.

(Home resort ressie will be cancelled as part of the process as soon as 7 mo res is made.)

If you need to cancel your trip altogether, you will have 2017 banked points that need to be used by July 2019 and 2018 points that need to be used or banked into 2019.

I'll start with how points could be used:

With an August UY for a 2018 November reservation you can use any combination of the following points to book. Banked 2017 points, current 2018 points or you can borrow 2019 points.

If at anytime you borrow the 2019 points into your 2018 UY for part or all of a reservation then those points will remain in the 2018 UY and would have to be used for a stay by July 31, 2019 or they would expire. Borrowed points cannot be put back into the UY they were borrowed from.

Thank You, was not thinking that the 2017 points become just like 2018 when banked giving me until Aug 2019 to use. I have enough 2017 points for the reservation and would book at 11 months, then try to get a different resort at 7 months with 2018 points.

What I am still not clear on is what is the situation if I do not bank 2017 and just use for the reservation of Nov 2018 which is 3 months after use year. If I am successful in getting the alternate resort, I will be past banking window, would those points then need to be used prior to Aug 2018 ? I am thinking the easiest and worry free way is bank the points and make the reservation at 11 months and let system pull the points to use.

What I am still not clear on is what is the situation if I do not bank 2017 and just use for the reservation of Nov 2018 which is 3 months after use year.
What you’re asking is not possible. The points must be banked in order to be used for that reservation.

Thank You, was not thinking that the 2017 points become just like 2018 when banked giving me until Aug 2019 to use. I have enough 2017 points for the reservation and would book at 11 months, then try to get a different resort at 7 months with 2018 points.

What I am still not clear on is what is the situation if I do not bank 2017 and just use for the reservation of Nov 2018 which is 3 months after use year. If I am successful in getting the alternate resort, I will be past banking window, would those points then need to be used prior to Aug 2018 ? I am thinking the easiest and worry free way is bank the points and make the reservation at 11 months and let system pull the points to use.

The Aug 2017 points are only able to be used to book reservations that would be completed by July 31, 2018 unless you bank them. So unless you have a reservation you might use them for that occurs by 7/31/18 you want to bank them and use them for the November 2018 points. If you did not bank them and did not use them for a stay occurring between now and July 31, 2018 they will expire. And if you don't bank them they cannot be used on any Nov 2018 reservations.

I'm not certain if you're confusing a bit that when you call to book affects the points but if so, it doesn't. The points just have to be available in the UY the reservation is going to occur.

It's going to be hard to book a non-home resort at seven months out. Just a heads up.

Thanks All,

Can't believe in 7 years I have not run into this issue before. Somehow it didn't click that the stay had to be complete within the use year - but I knew that. Note to self, always best to bank points before deadline.

We really don't expect to get into GF that time of year at 7 month window. We love our home resort but have been making the rounds about every 3rd stay just for fun. GF is one of the 3 on property we have not yet stayed at.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!