Poly or WL with infant

Hatbox

Mouseketeer
Getting ready to welcome our first child, so I'm of course at work planning their first trip(s). I'm planning to rent DVC points next year at either the Polynesian or Copper Creek. We haven't stayed at either before, and traveling with a stroller and diaper bag (not to mention the baby!) will be new to me. I've heard before that the monorail isn't as convenient as one might think with a stroller, and that the Wilderness Lodge boats are actually easier/quicker/less crowded in that regard.

I'm eager to hear of your experiences with both. You've all been so helpful and welcoming in the past, and I have a feeling I'll be relying on you a lot more as I enter this brave new world of trip planning :-)

I would re-consider renting at this point. Just due to all the issues that continue to happen with the points rental brokers (there is a 300 page thread about David's)

Oh absolutely, I hear you. I would only rent if/when it becomes fairly safe to expect a whole new world than what we have now.

I would rent a 1 bedroom at copper creek. The washer/dryer and dishwasher were lifesavers when we took our baby!

Oooh, great point! This is why I'm planning [way ahead] to stay at Boardwalk villas when our kid's older, but I hadn't considered what a difference it'd make next year. Duly noted, thanks!

Oh absolutely, I hear you. I would only rent if/when it becomes fairly safe to expect a whole new world than what we have now.

OK :) I am staying at Wilderness Lodge for the first time this year and have yet to stay at the Poly (we mainly stay at Bay Lake Tower / Contemporary for easy access to Magic Kingdom). Although, we have visited WL (to pin trade, lol) and the friendship boats seemed pretty easy to use. There were a few lines so I think we had to wait for the 2nd or 3rd boat, but it wasn't too bad.

I would stay at the Polynesian with an infant, to be able to use the monorail. Those allow strollers to go right on without the baby having to be taken out, unlike buses or boats. So you won't have to awaken a napping baby.

I would stay at the Polynesian with an infant, to be able to use the monorail. Those allow strollers to go right on without the baby having to be taken out, unlike buses or boats. So you won't have to awaken a napping baby.

So, to this point, I'd heard that the monorail is often so crowded that you have to take a baby out of a stroller and fold it anyway. Whereas, the boats to WL are uncrowded enough that (a) you can usually lift a stroller directly into the boat and (b) during peak time you can get onto a boat faster than the monorail.

How does that measure against your experience? I'm wondering if that's the sort of negligible you-can't-predict-anything kind of offhand anecdote that doesn't really mean much in the end.

So, to this point, I'd heard that the monorail is often so crowded that you have to take a baby out of a stroller and fold it anyway. Whereas, the boats to WL are uncrowded enough that (a) you can usually lift a stroller directly into the boat and (b) during peak time you can get onto a boat faster than the monorail.

How does that measure against your experience? I'm wondering if that's the sort of negligible you-can't-predict-anything kind of offhand anecdote that doesn't really mean much in the end.
I've never seen it that crowded, that you can't find any car with space. I've been during Christmas week (busiest of the year), and saw people in strollers with their kids in them in the monorails. No one will make you take your child out. I've taken my mother with her in a scooter, and there was room for her- that's a lot bigger than a stroller..

A few posters on these boards really dislike the monorail. They'll say it smells, that it breaks down constantly- every negative thing they can think up. In my many trips I've never found those claims to be true. The monorail is one reason why the monorail resorts are so popular and expensive. Most people are happy to use it and it works great for them. More convenient and pleasant than buses.

The WL boat is nice, but it is not faster than the monorail. You might get onto it faster at park closing (busiest time of day), but the ride itself takes quite a bit longer than it does to take a monorail to a monorail resort (even with a wait to get on). I've never tried lifting a stroller onto the boat so I can't speak to that. It certainly seems possible, though.

Last edited:

I have never been asked to do this. We've gone at least annually (one year 4x) and we've always been able to just wheel stroller onto monorail. I have never been in the summer months so maybe then it has happened. We've been during Christmas and Halloween and haven't. Not sure with Covid if they will be changing any rules.

I've been during Christmas week (busiest of the year), and saw people in strollers with their kids in them in the monorails....The WL boat is nice, but it is not faster than the monorail. You might get onto it faster at park closing (busiest time of day), but the ride itself takes quite a bit longer than it does to take a monorail to a monorail resort (even with a wait to get on). I've never tried lifting a stroller onto the boat so I can't speak to that. It certainly seems possible, though.
We've gone at least annually (one year 4x) and we've always been able to just wheel stroller onto monorail. I have never been in the summer months so maybe then it has happened. We've been during Christmas and Halloween and haven't.

Thank you both! Having never stayed at one of the MK resorts, I haven't paid attention to these patterns before. You've put my mind at ease!

We're opting for Poly with an 8 month old and 4 year old....mainly because WL isn't bookable yet.

I also had a refund from our cancelled trip to roll into the next one, so I really wasn't too focused on price point.

I've stayed at WL with strollers twice and it was amazing each time. The boat rides were the highlight of the day. You can push the strollers right on to the larger boats. You do have to fold up for the smaller boats but we found those to be less common. It's a calm, easy ride and so welcome after the chaos of the park. We would ride the boat over the MK and then pick up the monorail if we weren't in a rush.

WL also has a great splash pad for little ones. My oldest started walking there (had taken a few steps at home but took OFF there lol)

Lots of great outdoor eating, Roaring Fork has lots of kid friendly options.

Waking up early with each little one and putting around the resort are some of my favorite memories. Lots of flat, smooth walkways for strollers. Highly recommend!

One more note - when you arrive to MK by boat, it has its own security line so you're only in line with the folks that were on the boat with you. We have never spent more than 10 minutes getting through the line and that's mostly because I over pack. Obviously this is all pre-Covid.

I’ve had to take the baby out of the stroller before on the WL boats due to crowding, never on the monorail. One other thing to keep in mind is the layout... Poly has all separate buildings where you have to go outside and walk to the main building. WL is all in one building, so if the weather is really crappy you don’t have to go outside in it to go to the gift shop/ dining

As others have noted there are pros/cons to both!

Poly: The monorail is a big perk. I think it’s rare that you can’t roll your stroller right. You might have to wait for the next monorail, but you’d only have to wait a few minutes for the next one. It’s also nice to be able to walk to Grand Floridian for more dining and shopping options. Once the walkway from Grand Floridian to MK is open, that will be another option to get back to Poly without folding up the stroller (though it’ll probably be a long walk).

WL: Being able to stay in a 1 or 2BR for the washer/dryer and dishwasher (and separate rooms for nap time!) is a game changer! The boats are nice, but they run a smaller and larger boat (usually alternates) and you have to fold up the stroller to get on the smaller boat (or wait for the next boat). If you just miss the boat, I find you have to wait longer for the next boat versus the next monorail at Poly (if the monorail is operating normally). As others have said, you don’t have to walk in the rain at WL to get food since there’s a covered walkway between Boulder Ridge and the main building (where Copper Creek rooms and many of the eating places are).

I love both resorts, so you’ll have a great time at either!

I've stayed at WL with strollers twice and it was amazing each time. The boat rides were the highlight of the day. You can push the strollers right on to the larger boats. You do have to fold up for the smaller boats but we found those to be less common. It's a calm, easy ride and so welcome after the chaos of the park....
WL also has a great splash pad for little ones. My oldest started walking there (had taken a few steps at home but took OFF there lol)
Waking up early with each little one and putting around the resort are some of my favorite memories. Lots of flat, smooth walkways for strollers. Highly recommend!
I'm smiling thinking of these memories like they were my own :-) That all sounds just wonderful. Thank you for sharing!

One more note - when you arrive to MK by boat, it has its own security line so you're only in line with the folks that were on the boat with you.
Oooh, I had no idea. That's a mighty tempting perk.

WL: Being able to stay in a 1 or 2BR for the washer/dryer and dishwasher (and separate rooms for nap time!) is a game changer! The boats are nice, but they run a smaller and larger boat (usually alternates) and you have to fold up the stroller to get on the smaller boat (or wait for the next boat).

I love both resorts, so you’ll have a great time at either!

Yeah, the laundry and separate rooms for napping are calling to me. Though my husband's not a big WDW fan, so it's harder for me to sell the upgrade to a 1BR (whereas a DVC studio is more in line with rack rates at a moderate resort). We went to a DVC pitch on our last trip and, to my great surprise, he flat-out hated AKL. And we love Coronado Springs so, if I'm going to entice him into go Deluxe in the future, I've really got to get this right the first time!

Having done this twice as we have a family tradition of celebrating GS 1st birthdays at WDW. We have always stayed at monorail resorts BLT and VGF. We enjoyed BLT over VGF.

Now as it has been pointed out about the rooms with washer and dryers they are terrific and you can get those at either BLT or VGF as well. We have just returned from Aulani there were 10 people with us including 2 of the GC. We had 1 two-bedroom and 2 deluxe suites just for the purpose of W&D and the kitchen area. What I am saying is simple infants= Monorail resort makes more sense.

I think all the pros and cons of each have been pointed out above, I would probably lean towards the Poly for the monorail.
What time of the year are you thinking? If Nov/Dec I would then choose WL hands down for the ambiance :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!