Polynesian Owners Thread/FAQ

rfc0001

Russ
I couldn't find a Poly owners/booking thread/FAQ, so sorry in advance for creating another Poly thread :). Please feel free to post additional questions/answers and I'll update my initial post.
  1. What was the overall experience like to add on @ PVB?
    Thanks to this forum & DVCNews, prior to purchasing PVB I knew exactly the price, financing options, down payment, closing costs, you name it. So, the call literally took 5 minutes and 5 hours later my points showed up in my account -- I now understand why people buy direct (after having just gone through a typical 3-mos resale purchase/transfer).
  2. How long did it take for points to be added to your account?
    For me it was 5 hours for an add-on
  3. Will you get 2014 UY points?
    For a pre-sale add-on purchase with June UY, yes. My understanding is June UY (and later) will get 2014 points.
  4. Is there a Connecting Studio booking category?
    Guide/Quality Assurance/MS all definitively said no-- it will be a request, honored on a first come first served basis, and not guaranteed (not that anything is in life
    smile.png
    ) -- Guide indicated this was based on request date, so owners booking at 11 months will have "99% probability" of getting request. I know there is a lot of debate about this subject, but regardless of how you feel, I can assure you this is the definitive answer -- quality assurance specifically pulled up and read a script of the answer to this question, leaving no doubt. That said, I completely agree there is no technical reason why this isn't possible since it's already done for 2 bedroom lock-offs at other resorts, which are effectively the same thing.

This is also consistent with the Resort Availability Tool, which shows PVB (if you don't filter the results) with only the following categories:

"Disney's Polynesian Villas & Bungalows

No Availability:
    •Deluxe Studio - Standard View (98 Vacation Points)
    •Deluxe Studio - Lake View (116 Vacation Points)
    •Bungalow (621 Vacation Points)"This is also consistent with the Point Chart, which doesn't show points for a "Connecting Studio" Category.
  5. Is there a Banking Extension for 2014 June UY points?
    I was told verbally yes by Guide and Quality Assurance (verified prior to signing closing docs). I asked by what date -- QA said "as soon as possible", whatever that means. MS emailed following response:
    "Points in your June 2014 UY are bankable as long as you do so by May 31, 2015. Please note that because these are new contract Vacation Points in DISNEY'S POLYNESIAN Villas & Bungalows you will have to call us to bank"
  6. When will home resort booking be available (by phone)?
    2/11, via phone only
  7. When will online booking be available?
    2/25, for home and non-home reservations
  8. What were closing costs
    In my experience, they were ~$3/pt.
  9. When are fees due?
    Fees are due and prorated as of the later of 4/1, our purchase agreement date, your UY start date (which if you got 2014 points is in the past, so 4/1 or your purchase agreement date).
  10. Can you use non-PVB points to book <7 mos reservations between 2/11-2/25?
    No, you must use home points, despite these being non-home booking period. I know you're saying, of course, but it wasn't worded clearly -- announcemenet just said poly owners can start booking 2/11 -- didn't specify if you had to use poly points for 7 mos ressies.
  11. Resort Availability Tool is now updated with availability
    To search availability, do not check any resort or room type and Polynesian will show up in the results. As of this update, all room types are still available through 11 mos. EDIT: The tool is still showing no rooms sold out despite reports to the contrary online, so it looks like the tool is not ready for prime time (in fairness, it is hidden and the only way to see it by not selecting any resort/room options) -- may be related to the resort/room type not showing up on ressies? Bottom line -- it's day one; they're working out the kinks.
  12. Any booking glitches?
    Yes -- MS couldn't add credit card for incidentals due to glitch in their system (note, credit card isn't required at time of booking); Also, in Upcoming Reservations on dvcmember.com, reservations show up as resort name "Resort Grouping" instead of Polynesian Villas and Bungalows, and room type (under trip details) shows as "{Room Type 'MV' not available}". They assured me both issues will be reported and I'm sure resolved in short order.

Last edited:
I wish I could answer your questions about 2014 banking of points, but wanted to thank you for starting a Poly thread! We just added on there too, only 50 points, but as it is our first ever financed points I didn't want to go crazy. BTW yes all but our first little 25 point contract that we bought resale, all of our other contracts have been direct (never paid more then $100 a point though until now the $160 was painful!), and yes they all load that quickly... very nice.

If I was to take a stab at the 2014 question my thought would be that they may bend the rules due to you adding on Poly points? Spending money sometimes makes DVC ignore the rules, but wouldn't count on it, more like a bonus if they can.

A second question if anyone knows, what should I expect the wait time to be on 2/11? I have that day off from work, but would prefer not to be on the phone the entire day.

Jennifer

I wish I could answer your questions about 2014 banking of points, but wanted to thank you for starting a Poly thread! We just added on there too, only 50 points, but as it is our first ever financed points I didn't want to go crazy. BTW yes all but our first little 25 point contract that we bought resale, all of our other contracts have been direct (never paid more then $100 a point though until now the $160 was painful!), and yes they all load that quickly... very nice.
I assumed, so, but hadn't read about that anywhere despite doing my research here, so was pleasantly surprised. I was afraid I wouldn't get 2014 points and wouldn't be able to book when ressies open. It was just yes, yes, done, and done. Definitely a different experience than other timeshare purchases direct or resale.
If I was to take a stab at the 2014 question my thought would be that they may bend the rules due to you adding on Poly points? Spending money sometimes makes DVC ignore the rules, but wouldn't count on it, more like a bonus if they can.
I have a feeling they will make one exception per Poly purchase. So if you book 2/11 and displace an existing ressie and need to bank the points for it they'll allow it. They'll definitely allow the banking of 2014 Poly points past the deadline -- just not sure until when, and if that still applies to points you book and subsequently cancel (e.g. are they treated like current year points and bankable if cancelled, or treated like prior year points if cancelled). Thanks for sharing your thoughts though -- it's comforting. I have literally 30 minutes to cancel my existing ressie and bank it if I want to salvage the 2014 points, but don't want to give up an impossible to book end of March spring break ressie then end up not getting poly for those days. Surely, they don't expect me to do that?
A second question if anyone knows, what should I expect the wait time to be on 2/11? I have that day off from work, but would prefer not to be on the phone the entire day.
Thanks for clarifying the date -- somehow I thought it was this coming Friday. I don't know about you but I'll be booking online @ 8AM! Won't that be allowed? I assume by 9AM all the opening week and much of June-July and October, and last two weeks of December will be booked and it will be slim pickins by 9AM. Just my thoughts.
Thanks for validation in humanity after being yelled at by admins of the board which shall not be named. I make fun of DISboards for being too much sunshine and rainbows, but right now sunshine and rainbows sounds pretty good.
:beach:

A couple thoughts although I know your past the deadline -

1) If you are looking to book the end of March Poly won't be open yet. But if it's the beginning of April you are well within a 7 month mark of any points so you could just change the reservation from what you have to the Poly.

2) I don't know of any specific deadline for the exception to banking the points you just purchased but I'd do it sooner rather than later.

3) I would not be counting on them giving an exception to bank other points but as I mentioned you could just book with them this year instead of the Poly points.

4) I also would not count on them banking the 2014 Poly points if you made a reservation and then cancelled. The banking exception is really only meant to allow those who buy direct to not be put off from that just because they are past a banking deadline. It isn't meant to be a "get out of jail" banking opportunity.

Finally - you just made me realize something with the Poly availability (which has been showing for me as well for several days although I did not buy). There is no connecting studio option. Perhaps that will change but as of today I'd say that it isn't a guaranteed option which is backing up what several people have reported when asking their guides. Glad I didn't bet on that because I was expecting to to be with all the hype about the connecting options.

Jennifer

Back in the day I called to reserve at BLT on the first day. That's been several years now but I recall the wait being over an hour. I was on a trip and had time to iron my whole wardrobe while on hold. :rotfl: I'd hope that they would have it available for online booking too.

A couple thoughts although I know your past the deadline -

1) If you are looking to book the end of March Poly won't be open yet. But if it's the beginning of April you are well within a 7 month mark of any points so you could just change the reservation from what you have to the Poly.
Yep, just the 4/1-4/4 portion of our trip would be changed to Poly. Since we would be booking in the "home resort" window at 2/11 I think we can only use our 2014 Poly points, which mean our 2014 SSR points would have to be banked or expire 5/31. I guess I could always swap the PVB points with the SSR points at the non-home window then bank the poly points, but then my questions 2 & 4 would kick in
2) I don't know of any specific deadline for the exception to banking the points you just purchased but I'd do it sooner rather than later.

3) I would not be counting on them giving an exception to bank other points but as I mentioned you could just book with them this year instead of the Poly points.

4) I also would not count on them banking the 2014 Poly points if you made a reservation and then cancelled. The banking exception is really only meant to allow those who buy direct to not be put off from that just because they are past a banking deadline. It isn't meant to be a "get out of jail" banking opportunity.
Yeah, it's more in relation to the above situation -- not trying to milk it.
Finally - you just made me realize something with the Poly availability (which has been showing for me as well for several days although I did not buy). There is no connecting studio option. Perhaps that will change but as of today I'd say that it isn't a guaranteed option which is backing up what several people have reported when asking their guides. Glad I didn't bet on that because I was expecting to to be with all the hype about the connecting options.
I'm having the same sinking feeling. Based on what I'm seeing, it looks like it is going to be a request, not a bookable room type (like 2 bdrm lock-off which is effectively just a reconfiguration of inventory.)

Thanks,
Russ

Yep, just the 4/1-4/4 portion of our trip would be changed to Poly. Since we would be booking in the "home resort" window at 2/11 I think we can only use our 2014 Poly points, which mean our 2014 SSR points would have to be banked or expire 5/31. I guess I could always swap the PVB points with the SSR points at the non-home window then bank the poly points, but then my questions 2 & 4 would kick in

I just keep thinking that it's going to be relatively easy to book a lot of dates when the Poly opens up for non-owners the end of Feb. But with your dates my concern would be that you are looking for the very first few days that it is open. If timing were a little different I'd probably recommend that you call your guide and say that you want to buy but you have xxx reservation and want to stay at the Poly and to bank your SSR points. What DVC can be good at when they are trying to hook you is to make certain you get that first reservation you want. But of course you've already done the buying bit. Still, it might be a situation that if MS isn't helping out you could contact your guide and see if they can do anything.

I was told by my guide that 2/11 booking would be open for call in only (9 am EST), I was hoping online would be an option, and I will probably still check and see if its available since I am trying to book Marathon week which is a semi-tough time, especially since poly is so popular (being near the TTC).

I have been posting and reading the dis boards for years, and have to agree... When we first DVC in 2007 with a tiny 25 point resale contract I was told by a poster here that "I wasn't a real DVC member, and only joined for the benefits" I think that's especially funny now that I have over 200 points! But I still think the disboards is a great resource!

Jennifer

I was told by my guide that 2/11 booking would be open for call in only (9 am EST), I was hoping online would be an option, and I will probably still check and see if its available since I am trying to book Marathon week which is a semi-tough time, especially since poly is so popular (being near the TTC).

I have been posting and reading the dis boards for years, and have to agree... When we first DVC in 2007 with a tiny 25 point resale contract I was told by a poster here that "I wasn't a real DVC member, and only joined for the benefits" I think that's especially funny now that I have over 200 points! But I still think the disboards is a great resource!

Jennifer

Try to be on the phone right at 9am! ::yes::

I just keep thinking that it's going to be relatively easy to book a lot of dates when the Poly opens up for non-owners the end of Feb. But with your dates my concern would be that you are looking for the very first few days that it is open. If timing were a little different I'd probably recommend that you call your guide and say that you want to buy but you have xxx reservation and want to stay at the Poly and to bank your SSR points. What DVC can be good at when they are trying to hook you is to make certain you get that first reservation you want. But of course you've already done the buying bit. Still, it might be a situation that if MS isn't helping out you could contact your guide and see if they can do anything.
Good idea. I'll call DVC MS in morning to see what they say, then my guide if I'm still not getting clear answers. Like I say, I'm not trying to bend the rules to fit me, just trying to understand what the rules are so I can plan accordingly. Worse case I keep my March/April ressie and save Poly for another day or rent the 2014 points (nice little $16/pt bonus, making the effective buying price even lower).
Thanks for confirming! Glad I started this thread because I'm realizing I should have asked so many more questions. I must have gotten all swept up in the moment :)
Jennifer
I'm a late bloomer, but fast learner...DVC since 2013...all resale until now...first time direct, and I'm surprisingly finding myself drinking the koolaid and it tastes quite yummy :thumbsup2

Thanks for sharing all of this information regarding PVB. :goodvibes

1. Is there a Connecting Studio booking category?
    MS said definitively no. She seemed knowledgeable about the subject. She said they considered it, thought it would be confusing to call it a lock-off since that connotes a separate bedroom. I asked why not just call in "Connecting Studio" and she said every room is connecting, so it shouldn't be an issue for them to honor the requests, which she characterized as a "strong request", which makes sense if you think about it since they just need to assign all the rooms with connecting requests first, and they'll always have enough rooms to honor the request. I guess it could be an issue if the request got missed somehow, either user error on the input, systems glitch, etc. and they'd already assigned rooms.
I am really disappointed that DVC chose to go this way. Hotels guarantee connecting rooms all of the time so there are programs for it. The day you check in 20 studio villas that are not connecting check out and you are stuck with two studios that may or may not even be in the same building. I would never do that to a family that needs a connecting studio. IMO that means I would never book two connecting studios at PVB. And if I was considering buying PVB for the connecting studio option, I would change my mind quickly.

Last edited:
I asked why not just call in "Connecting Studio" and she said every room is connecting, so it shouldn't be an issue for them to honor the requests, which she characterized as a "strong request",

Can someone explain this to me? When I look at the floor plan, the rooms look like typical hotel rooms with a connecting door to only one of the 2 neighbors. Booking 2 rooms and hoping for a connecting room would be similar to booking a Studio and 1 bedroom at BWV and hope they are connecting, wouldn't it? Well, BWV would be a bit harder since there are dedicated studios and 1 bedrooms. In the couple reservations we've done with studio & 1 bedroom, we've only gotten connecting rooms once.... and it also happened to be our only cash reservation for BWV!

Can someone explain this to me? When I look at the floor plan, the rooms look like typical hotel rooms with a connecting door to only one of the 2 neighbors. Booking 2 rooms and hoping for a connecting room would be similar to booking a Studio and 1 bedroom at BWV and hope they are connecting, wouldn't it? Well, BWV would be a bit harder since there are dedicated studios and 1 bedrooms. In the couple reservations we've done with studio & 1 bedroom, we've only gotten connecting rooms once.... and it also happened to be our only cash reservation for BWV!
Exactly! It would be like booking a 1bdrm and Studio separately and putting in room request for connecting units "hoping" to get connecting rooms as you aptly describe vs. booking a "2 Bedroom Lock-off", which is still technically booking a 1bdrm and Studio (it's a virtual category--there is no such thing as an actual 2-Bedroom lock-off unit). The difference between the two is a "2 Bedroom Lock-off" is guaranteed. What we are debating here is whether DVC should treat PVB Connecting Studios as a (virtual) Category or Request. Clearly a Category is better, since it's guaranteed. However, currently, the official Point Chart, Resort Availability tool, and MS are saying there won't be a separate category, meaning you'll have to book two Studios and make a request for Connecting Studios. The reason it matters is DVC is advertising "Connecting Studios" since there are no 1/2 bedrooms.

Last edited:
What I don't get is if the DVC system allows CM's to book 2 bedroom lock-off's vs 1 bedroom/studio and the system can see them either or, why can't it do that for lock off studios? I didn't buy poly for the lock-off's, we will probably only book 1 studio at a time since there are only 2 of us, so it's really a non-issue for us, but I'm wondering who if anyone thought this out on the Disney side? I can understand the whole it will be EXTREMELY rare for them not to be able to do a connecting studio, but given this situation it could happen and I would be PISSED if I was that DVC member that it happened to.

Jennifer

I know Ken Potrock, head of DVD, has thus far proven himself to be Jim Lewis reincarnated when it comes to doing anything beneficial for members, but I find it hard to believe that even he would not understand how important it is to have a booking category for connecting studios. The resort has been promoted to have connecting studios so purchasers can get them for parties above 5 people. The issue is not whether connecting studios may usually be a request that can be met but whether members can be relieved of any worry about having connecting rooms. Why should they have tell people they are taking with that there is some chance everybody will be screwed? Why should parents have to wonder whether they are going to have to stick some of their four kids alone in a studio that may not even be in the same building or on the same floor? Why should anyone have to use their no. 1 non-guaranteed request on connecting studios rather than on something else like building or floor choice? Why even have connecting studios unless it was intended to be a booking category? DVD needs to demonstrate some iota of intelligence and have a connecting studio booking category.

What we are debating here is whether DVC should treat PVB Connecting Studios as a (virtual) Category or Request. Clearly a Category is better, since it's guaranteed. However, currently, the official Point Chart, Resort Availability tool, and MS are saying there won't be a separate category, meaning you'll have to book two Studios and make a request for Connecting Studios. The reason it matters is DVC is advertising "Connecting Studios" since there are no 1/2 bedrooms.
I believe they are not adding a "connecting studios" category because they can't guarantee it! For regular hotels that operate at a lower occupancy rate, this may be doable. But isn't DVC almost 100% all the time? They'd have to block off say 20% of rooms to reserve as "connecting studios", same way they do so for 2 bedroom lock-offs at BWV. Not knowing what the demands are for connecting studios, they may end up with empty connecting studios, similar to VGF 2+ bedrooms :sad2:

Maybe several years down the road, enough people will complain and no one's booking the bungalows ... then they'll add the connecting studios category at the same cost as a vgf 2 bedroom, then lower the points for the bungalow.

I know Ken Potrock, head of DVD, has thus far proven himself to be Jim Lewis reincarnated when it comes to doing anything beneficial for members, but I find it hard to believe that even he would not understand how important it is to have a booking category for connecting studios. The resort has been promoted to have connecting studios so purchasers can get them for parties above 5 people. The issue is not whether connecting studios may usually be a request that can be met but whether members can be relieved of any worry about having connecting rooms. Why should they have tell people they are taking with that there is some chance everybody will be screwed? Why should parents have to wonder whether they are going to have to stick some of their four kids alone in a studio that may not even be in the same building or on the same floor? Why should anyone have to use their no. 1 non-guaranteed request on connecting studios rather than on something else like building or floor choice? Why even have connecting studios unless it was intended to be a booking category? DVD needs to demonstrate some iota of intelligence and have a connecting studio booking category.

I agree. I'm extremely surprised with this decision especially with the hype of having the connecting studios. What's the point if it's not guaranteed? Personally I'd rather not having connecting then. Without having any room categories beyond the bungalows that have 2 guaranteed rooms I can't imagine being a family with several small ones and daring to book at PVB - the fact that it's a request only just leaves too much chance of it not happening. IMO it makes the decision of not having any 1BR's or standard 2BR's an even poorer decision.

I agree with others who are surprised. Fixing the system to give families security is good business.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Poly have two different terms? (Edited with quote from Tikiman's web site)
Connecting rooms (meaning that there is a door between them) or adjoining rooms (they are next to each other but not necessarily connected)

If the resort understood the difference before, why is DVC member services having such a problem?

Last edited:
Updated/added to FAQ after talking with Guide and Quality Assurance.

What I don't get is if the DVC system allows CM's to book 2 bedroom lock-off's vs 1 bedroom/studio and the system can see them either or, why can't it do that for lock off studios? I didn't buy poly for the lock-off's, we will probably only book 1 studio at a time since there are only 2 of us, so it's really a non-issue for us, but I'm wondering who if anyone thought this out on the Disney side? I can understand the whole it will be EXTREMELY rare for them not to be able to do a connecting studio, but given this situation it could happen and I would be PISSED if I was that DVC member that it happened to.
I don't think they can't do it, or didn't think it through, I think they just made a decision -- arguably a poor decision -- and are sticking to it (for now).
He'll understand it when it starts hurting his ability to sell PVB. The policy will change once they realize this IMO.
I believe they are not adding a "connecting studios" category because they can't guarantee it! For regular hotels that operate at a lower occupancy rate, this may be doable. But isn't DVC almost 100% all the time? They'd have to block off say 20% of rooms to reserve as "connecting studios", same way they do so for 2 bedroom lock-offs at BWV. Not knowing what the demands are for connecting studios, they may end up with empty connecting studios, similar to VGF 2+ bedrooms :sad2:

Maybe several years down the road, enough people will complain and no one's booking the bungalows ... then they'll add the connecting studios category at the same cost as a vgf 2 bedroom, then lower the points for the bungalow.
Well, they do it all the time for 2 bedroom lock-offs at all resorts (not just BWV). Also, I'm not sure they hold back inventory to do so -- I've never seen a 2 bedroom lock-off available when either studios or 1 bedrooms were sold out, and conversely never seen studios or 1 bedrooms sold out when 2 bedrooms lock-offs are available -- I think it's literally either/or up to 100% of the units. I'm not sure what Disney magic algorithm they use to match bookings to room assignments, especially considering different checkout/checkin dates through the week, but we know this -- it works. That said, to the extent they do hold back some inventory (e.g. < 100% is bookable as lock-offs), you may have hit on the reason since they just don't know (until 2/11) what the demand will be. Maybe that's why they have the 2 week phone only booking window, and will perhaps change things before online booking. Who knows.
I agree. I'm extremely surprised with this decision especially with the hype of having the connecting studios. What's the point if it's not guaranteed? Personally I'd rather not having connecting then. Without having any room categories beyond the bungalows that have 2 guaranteed rooms I can't imagine being a family with several small ones and daring to book at PVB - the fact that it's a request only just leaves too much chance of it not happening. IMO it makes the decision of not having any 1BR's or standard 2BR's an even poorer decision.
Agree on all points -- bad news bears all around. Hopefully will be reevaluated sooner rather than later. Like I say, when they hear enough people concerned about this in the buying cycle they'll think twice. I've told everyone I've talked to (MS, Guide, QA) my opinion. Hopefully others do the same.

Well, they do it all the time for 2 bedroom lock-offs at all resorts (not just BWV). Also, I'm not sure they hold back inventory to do so -- I've never seen a 2 bedroom lock-off available when either studios or 1 bedrooms were sold out, and conversely never seen studios or 1 bedrooms sold out when 2 bedrooms lock-offs are available -- I think it's literally either/or up to 100% of the units.

This is what I believe also so it shouldn't have been any issue to have a connecting studio category. I know that many people believe they set aside and perhaps they used to but like you, I have yet to see a lock-off available when there hasn't been a studio and a 1BR and vice versa. What I have seen happen when I've cancelled a room that has one or the other lock-off components sitting there is that suddenly a lock-off becomes available.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter