Polynesian Pixie Dust: A Love/Hate Vacationship. An October 2017 TR *updated 2/12x3 and Complete*

Omg those pulled pork nachos are heaven :cloud9: Definitely in my top 2 best nachos ever! Now I want to be sure and get them again in March......

It's always a pain getting to the night shows in time for a good spot. You want to do it but the sitting and waiting stinks, and when someone you're with requests to do something..... well you know, that guilt :( And then we don't do what we know we should do in order to not get frustrated later. But it kind of worked out for you and as you say, you have a chance to see HEA again in a few weeks!!

Ooooh... I think I know someone else who will probably be at MK on NYD!!! ;) I have got to get an update on my TR going... and I'll get myself together before then, too :laughing:

Dismeet ahoy!

Omg those pulled pork nachos are heaven :cloud9: Definitely in my top 2 best nachos ever! Now I want to be sure and get them again in March......

It's always a pain getting to the night shows in time for a good spot. You want to do it but the sitting and waiting stinks, and when someone you're with requests to do something..... well you know, that guilt :( And then we don't do what we know we should do in order to not get frustrated later. But it kind of worked out for you and as you say, you have a chance to see HEA again in a few weeks!!

I'm mostly not a fan of sweet mixed with savory in a dish, but those nachos worked!!

I already told Matt that our night at MK on 12/30 will be a LOT of sitting and waiting. Thankfully with the two of us it won't be a big deal. I am really looking forward to a trip with just us. No pressure to do anything, really, and no worrying about anyone else.

Good morning!!

I'm supposed to bake today but I'm getting a late start. Might as well get a quick update in while I'm procrastinating, right??

Chapter Four: Party time, Excellent!

After our later night and all of the running around we'd been doing on our first two days, this morning was our chance to relax and even sleep in if we wanted. The only thing we had to do was make it to our breakfast.

So did we sleep in and enjoy the opportunity for a lazy morning?

No.

We both ended up awake earlier than intended. Oh well, it's not like we didn't have plenty of things to do to keep us busy!!

It was a chilly, misty morning but not cold, and we decided to walk over to our breakfast reservation at the Grand Floridian Cafe. It was an easy, relatively quick trip over, and so pretty!

I was excited to find a survey marker:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/143888229@N08/

I'd never really paid attention and seen one before, so I got all hyped up about this one...and then I guess my radar began working because afterward I started seeing them everywhere. Kind of like when you buy a new car and suddenly they're the only thing you see on the road :laughing:

To show you how cloudy...

The Grand Floridian is so beautiful, I couldn't wait to show it off to my mom!

It was also an opportunity for me to see parts of the resort I'd never taken the time to explore before...like the pool area!

How cute is that tea cup splash pad area?!? My kids are way too old for things like that :sad:

We ended up being like half an hour early for our reservation :scared:

They weren't very busy though, and we were seated almost immediately.

As some of you know, I am originally from Missouri, although I haven't lived there for a long time. Our server was also from Missouri and had actually heard of my itty bitty hometown in the middle of nowhereville, LOL.

Mom ordered the Flagler Omelet:
Three Egg Omelet with Onions, Bell Peppers, and Ham served with Cheesy-Hash Brown Casserole or Fruit

Personally, I'm always torn between two things here. The lobster benedict (which is AMAAAAZING - Two-poached Eggs, Toasted English Muffin, Lobster, Hollandaise, and Marinated Tomato Salad) and the Floridian pancakes (Roasted Pecan, Sun-dried Cranberry, and House-made Orange Butter with Bacon or Sausage).

No matter how much I wanted to try something new and go with the pancakes, I could not resist the call of one of my very favorite meals at all of WDW.

Maybe I will branch out someday, but I realllly love that lobster benedict. I highly recommend it to anyone having breakfast at the GFlo Cafe!
Last year I didn't remember to take a picture until I'd already eaten half, so I feel like I'm winning this time around by only having cut into it before remembering to take one!

After breakfast we took the time to explore a little bit of the Grand. There was a chocolate display in the lobby:

That's not a very good picture, but it was so intricate and very beautiful.

Also, where the heck do I get this carpet?

Apparently this was the last picture I took here, but we stuck around for quite awhile longer! We looked in the shop downstairs and I almost bought way too many things, but I resisted!

When we were upstairs in the gift shop, the volleyball coach from our school texted me asking if PTO wanted to run a concession stand during the last home game (our girls were undefeated this year, woohoo!!) I told him that would be great but um...I'm in Florida!

We did get a little distracted in Basin. I may have not been as good at resisting the urge to buy while I was in here. I bought several bath bombs! I still have one left that I'm trying to hang onto a little longer. They smell so good!!

Also while we were upstairs, we passed Ivy Trellis salon. I wanted to have my hair french braided for the party, and I asked if they were able to do that for me. They weren't busy so I got right in! I think it was around $45 after AP discount and included tip?? I can't remember. She asked if I wanted pixie dust. What kind of question is that?? :rotfl:Of course I did!

pixie dust.gif

I suggested that we do a little resort tour, so after I was all sparkled up, we hopped on the monorail and rode over to the Contemporary, where I proceeded to take 9 gazillion pictures of the Mary Blair mural.

Owls!

We spent a LOT of time in the shops here. I almost bought red Toms. Then I almost bought the black Toms...and mom almost bought every tote bag she laid her eyes on...I asked if she'd ever use them and she said no, but she just wanted them :rotfl2:She hoards tote bags and literally never, ever uses them.

I wanted to show off the view so I dragged her away from her tote bags and took her outside. It was very, very windy!!

It was a nice time at the Contemporary, but I had somewhere else I really wanted her to see. For that, we would need to go downstairs and outside. We stopped to see an old friend along the way...

Then we hopped on the ferry and floated on over to my very most favorite place in the entire world...

More next time...I need to bake some cookies! My brother, his wife, and their two kids (3 year old niece, 6 week old nephew!) are coming to town tomorrow. Our house is not toddler friendly so cross your fingers that my house survives the visit, LOL!!

How cute is that tea cup splash pad area?!? My kids are way too old for things like that :sad:

Aww, I didn't notice the tea cups when we were there. Adorable!

Maybe I will branch out someday, but I realllly love that lobster benedict. I highly recommend it to anyone having breakfast at the GFlo Cafe!

Yum! This looks amazing!

38863513592_30015f4304_c.jpg

Wow! This is incredible!

She asked if I wanted pixie dust. What kind of question is that?? :rotfl:Of course I did!

pixie-dust-gif.287387

Um....duh!

My brother, his wife, and their two kids (3 year old niece, 6 week old nephew!) are coming to town tomorrow. Our house is not toddler friendly so cross your fingers that my house survives the visit, LOL!!

Oh my gosh! Good luck!!

What a great time at the GF! I really want to try breakfast there one day! OoOoO how fun to get your hair done at the salon! The one picture you posted where I can see it looks cute, I can't wait to see it in full!

It was also an opportunity for me to see parts of the resort I'd never taken the time to explore before...like the pool area!
Yes! I love doing this. I sometimes take myself purposefully off course just to do so ::yes::

Also, where the heck do I get this carpet?
I have no idea but when you figure it out, let me know.

She asked if I wanted pixie dust. What kind of question is that?? :rotfl:Of course I did!
What a ridiculous question! Why'd she bother asking?! :rotfl2:

Love this picture! And your hair looks awesome! :thumbsup2

Oh my gosh, would you just LOOK at that pretty view from the water?? We need the heart eyes emoji on the DIS! I'd use like five of them right now.

LOVE that view!!! And so pretty at night!

I wonder if my mom was annoyed with me for all of my stops to take pictures? If she was, she never said anything! Speaking of being annoyed, I was annoyed with this kid for being in my picture. How dare he enjoy a day at the Magic Kingdom! There's no time for anyone else to have fun, I have pictures to take!

How dare that little kid be in your picture! As a matter of fact, how dare all these people be on Main Street when I'm trying to take pictures of the castle and me?!? LOL

I wish they sold recreations of this wreath in the parks. (I call it a wreath, is it actually considered a wreath??)

It's a wreath around a Mickey pumpkin!!

and I tried and failed to take a picture of the Dormouse popping up from the tea pot

I always forget this is there! Mostly because I'm dying whenever I'm on this ride.

Overall opinion of this viewing location? Not great. Fireworks are blocked by the buildings on Main Street and you're far from the projections. It was not the way I wanted to see HEA in person for the first time, but hey, it was better than missing it entirely, right?? I loved Wishes so, so much - part of the reason for my May trip was to say goodbye - but there's something really special about HEA to me. It makes me emotional! Part of it has to do with the selection of songs and projections - I never make it through the Tangled lantern scene without crying, Moana makes me a wreck, and Go the Distance is another one that brings on tears.

Yeah you and me both...I get all teary from all the songs they picked for HEA!!! Actually I tear up at just about any Disney nightime show...:sad:
Next week is going to be so hard for me as we watch HEA the night before we leave on our very last trip of the year (and end of our APs) :sad::sad::sad:

These were so good!! Sweeter than I imagined and the queso kind of tasted weird, but the spicy mayo was awesome. I wasn't super hungry and suggested the sharing, but I think mom wasn't fully on board with that...I feel like she wished she'd gotten her own.

OOH this looks good! I wonder why we never tried them!

I'd never really paid attention and seen one before, so I got all hyped up about this one...and then I guess my radar began working because afterward I started seeing them everywhere. Kind of like when you buy a new car and suddenly they're the only thing you see on the road :laughing:

I've never noticed these before! Glad you told me about them!

Yum! I had the pancakes when we were there in Nov. Soooo good!

We spent a LOT of time in the shops here. I almost bought red Toms. Then I almost bought the black Toms...and mom almost bought every tote bag she laid her eyes on...I asked if she'd ever use them and she said no, but she just wanted them :rotfl2:She hoards tote bags and literally never, ever uses them.

Why are the Contemporary shops soooo awesome?!? They have so much stuff there! And the stores are really big!

Going to tag along for this trip report, this looks like so much fun!
I wish I could go on a trip with my mom, but whenever I suggest it she goes "NO!" I tried to tell her that she could spend time at the resort and maybe have a spa day and not do all the crazy park stuff, but alas...
So I'm living vicariously through you! :rotfl2:

So did we sleep in and enjoy the opportunity for a lazy morning?

I've tried this strategy before and even though I love to sleep in, it just doesn't seem to work at Disney!

The Grand Floridian is so beautiful, I couldn't wait to show it off to my mom!

I do love the GF but I always feel like such a redneck while there! :rotfl:

They weren't very busy though, and we were seated almost immediately.

I don't think I've ever seen the GFC busy. I've done lunch and dinner there now, need to try breakfast someday.

There was a chocolate display in the lobby:

Now I'm hungry for chocolate. ::yes::

I suggested that we do a little resort tour

Mom and I love riding the monorail around to the different resorts!

The GFC is one of those places I keep wanting to get to - and never make it :( One day.......

I hope you had a good visit with your brother! From your FB pics it looks like you did :goodvibes

Well I don't know you, and I'm am just getting here to read your TR, but I don't think your pictures look awkward at all!

Thanks for the TR!

Aww, I didn't notice the tea cups when we were there. Adorable!

Yum! This looks amazing!

Wow! This is incredible!

Um....duh!

Oh my gosh! Good luck!!

It's one of the cutest splash pad areas ever!
That lobster benedict is insanely good. It's one of those dishes where you try to get the perfect bite - the egg/lobster/sauce/muffin combined with the tomato...I'm making myself hungry.
Of course I wanted pixie dusting!! It might have been the silliest question I've ever been asked!

What a great time at the GF! I really want to try breakfast there one day! OoOoO how fun to get your hair done at the salon! The one picture you posted where I can see it looks cute, I can't wait to see it in full!

Breakfast at the GF Cafe is definitely one I'd recommend. It's easy to get a reservation there and the food is consistently good. I want to try lunch or dinner there eventually.

It was such a different experience going to the salon. The CMs working there were really friendly and easy to talk to.

Grand Floridian looks so gorgeous!!

It's so pretty there :lovestruc My dream stay is main building CL...hoping for that lottery win or a deep discount, LOL!!

What an amazing trip so far!

So far so good! I was so nervous going in, with it being my mom's first trip, but I was pleased with how it was going to this point!

I would keep this up all year round! I love these wreaths!!

My boyfriend spent like 3 summers surveying so he points out EVERY SINGLE one to me

They're so pretty!! I really wish they sold a version in the parks, they'd make a gazillion dollars!

Haha, the king of survey markers! It's like another version of hidden Mickey

Yes! I love doing this. I sometimes take myself purposefully off course just to do so ::yes::

I have no idea but when you figure it out, let me know.
What a ridiculous question! Why'd she bother asking?! :rotfl2:

Love this picture! And your hair looks awesome! :thumbsup2

I was glad to have the opportunity to see more of the resort! I was mad at myself for not looking around at Pop more before heading to the Poly, and for not going over to AoA, but we were on such a tight timeline. Up until now, my experience at the GF was in the lobby, shops, and restaurants. It was fun to see more of the grounds - it's so beautiful!

It's the only carpet I would consider putting in my house after all the work of putting in the wood floors this summer/fall :rotfl:

It was ridiculous! Who says no to pixie dust??

Thank you!

LOVE that view!!! And so pretty at night!

How dare that little kid be in your picture! As a matter of fact, how dare all these people be on Main Street when I'm trying to take pictures of the castle and me?!? LOL

It's a wreath around a Mickey pumpkin!!

I always forget this is there! Mostly because I'm dying whenever I'm on this ride.

Yeah you and me both...I get all teary from all the songs they picked for HEA!!! Actually I tear up at just about any Disney nightime show...:sad:
Next week is going to be so hard for me as we watch HEA the night before we leave on our very last trip of the year (and end of our APs) :sad::sad::sad:

OOH this looks good! I wonder why we never tried them!

I've never noticed these before! Glad you told me about them!

Yum! I had the pancakes when we were there in Nov. Soooo good!

Why are the Contemporary shops soooo awesome?!? They have so much stuff there! And the stores are really big!

It's the best sight to come home to...even though I think Animal Kingdom is my favorite park, I'm not home-home until I get to the Magic Kingdom, and nothing beats coming in from the water!

I was so mad at that kid, LOL :rotfl2: Don't these people realize our Disney experience is the only one that matters??? LOL!
I tear up at the nighttime shows too. I remember my first visit and just sobbing my way through fireworks, Fantasy in the Sky in particular, once Tink flew to kick off the show. It never got better with any subsequent show. So much crying, haha!

Our upcoming trip is the last on my AP too :sad::sad: I never thought I'd get a year of Disney trips like this in my life, and it's going to be hard to let go of!

The nachos were good! We only had Captain Cook's twice and it's what I got both times!

You will have to look for the survey markers now!!

Those pancakes haunt me all the time, but I just cannot quit the lobster benedict!!

The Contemporary shops are the best resort stores, I swear. They have everything imaginable.

This is a great view of the Grand!

This looks incredible! I now need to work this into one of my upcoming trips!

:love:

I loved the view of the Grand walking over from the Poly. It just so elegant and beautiful.

I will always recommend the GF Cafe!!

The Mary Blair mural...oh how I wish I had the determination and patience to get out the masking tape and recreate one somewhere in my house.

Hope there are more photos of your hair, would love to see what they did!!

I don't think I ever got a picture of it from the back, but the upcoming posts will show it off a little more. She got the braids so tight, I have no idea how people can do that, lol!!

Going to tag along for this trip report, this looks like so much fun!
I wish I could go on a trip with my mom, but whenever I suggest it she goes "NO!" I tried to tell her that she could spend time at the resort and maybe have a spa day and not do all the crazy park stuff, but alas...
So I'm living vicariously through you! :rotfl2:

Hooray!! Welcome!

My mom is more of a relaxed weekend/outdoorsy camping type, so I had no idea how any of this would work out. She probably wished it was more spa less park, LOL!!

I've tried this strategy before and even though I love to sleep in, it just doesn't seem to work at Disney!

I do love the GF but I always feel like such a redneck while there! :rotfl:

I don't think I've ever seen the GFC busy. I've done lunch and dinner there now, need to try breakfast someday.

Now I'm hungry for chocolate. ::yes::

Mom and I love riding the monorail around to the different resorts!

Sleeping in and Disney just don't work for me, either. I have some late starts planned for the trip in two weeks, because we'll be out late with NYE stuff, and I'm really curious to see what happens on those mornings!

LOL, I tend to pay attention to what I'm wearing a little more when visiting the Grand. Like they're going to kick me out :rotfl:

Lunch and dinner are on my to do list there b/c breakfast has been so consistent.

I was reading ChunkyMonkey's cruise report and she had a picture of oatmeal...and it made me want oatmeal so much my husband went and made some for me. So I am familiar with TRs leading to food cravings :rotfl2:

Resort hopping is one of my favorite activities. I wish it was easier to get around the mods, I want to go look at those, too!

Loving this TR and your trip so far! I LOVE the fall decorations at MK!!!

Thank you!!
The fall decorations are something special! The only thing I think I like more is the Christmas decor at Hollywood Studios!

The GFC is one of those places I keep wanting to get to - and never make it :( One day.......

I hope you had a good visit with your brother! From your FB pics it looks like you did :goodvibes

You should definitely get it on the list at some point! Breakfast has been consistent enough that it makes me want lunch and dinner there!!

Aw, yes, we had a good visit! The boys liked having my niece and nephew around...well, X got a little tired at the end, b/c my 3 year old niece latched onto him and wouldn't leave him alone :rotfl:

Well I don't know you, and I'm am just getting here to read your TR, but I don't think your pictures look awkward at all!

Thanks for the TR!

Welcome!
Thank you, that's very kind of you!!
I'm glad you're reading along. Hopefully I will pick up the pace a little bit, I feel like my updates are dragging b/c of everyday activities...I'd rather just write about my trip, LOL!!

Sorry about your HEA viewing spot. Tough decision to between doing what someone else want's and what you know is necessary. Happened to me for the MVMCP parade.

The lobster benedict (which is AMAAAAZING - Two-poached Eggs, Toasted English Muffin, Lobster, Hollandaise, and Marinated Tomato Salad)
Oh yum this was on my list of must try's but we never made it to the GF café.

We had the pulled pork nacho's at Tambu lounge and my mouth has been watering for them ever since. I can't believe how much meat is on them. I think the cheese is what everyone calls plastic cheese. Fake but taste so good.

Last edited:
Sorry about your HEA viewing spot. Tough decision to between doing what someone else want's and what you know is necessary. Happened to me for the MVMCP parade.

Oh yum this was on my list of must try's but we never made it to the GF café.

We had the pulled pork nacho's at Tambu lounge and my mouth has been watering for them ever since. I can't believe how much meat is on them. I think the cheese is what everyone calls plastic cheese. Fake but taste so good.

In the grand scheme of things, I guess it wasn't a huge deal, but it really felt like it at the time. I'm sorry you dealt with that too during the MVMCP!

I've been having some serious Disney food withdrawls and writing about the nachos and benedict aren't helping anything, LOL!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter