POP $173/night??

dskib

DIS Veteran
I just priced POP May 4 and 5 and the cheapest standard room is $173/night. That seems high to me. I'm pretty sure it's not peak. Does that seem normal to you? Thanks!

I just priced POP May 4 and 5 and the cheapest standard room is $173/night. That seems high to me. I'm pretty sure it's not peak. Does that seem normal to you? Thanks!

Sounds right to me. Those dates are considered "Regular" rate. The only rate lower than "Regular" is "Value". The "Regular" rate during the week is $138 per night. Because your dates are weekend, they are higher.

$145-182 is the norm for those dates according to a site that keeps the data. Not sure if I can mention it here.

The resort prices at WDW are getting really high. Yes, I've noticed that, too. I've seen non-discounted rates for regular season in the $200 range for values, the $300 range for moderates, and the $500 & up range for deluxes.

Paying $200 per night for a value resort room seems unreasonable to me, as those are basically motel rooms. But it's Disney, so they get away with it. Proximity & perks...

That is what I saw for end of May too. $156 plus tax. I was able to get an agency rate of $110 plus tax already and thankful. I would not pay that much for Pop and we need two rooms this trip.

Yeah, for spring break Pop is $202 a night for standard. I'm really hoping for some kind of a discount then. That starts to get pricey when I think about it. We could stay at a moderate for just slightly more than that during the value season! I actually prefer Pop to the moderates, though, and value season doesn't correspond well with school breaks. So Pop at spring break it is. A very good choice, I think!

Gone are the routine $49.00 Standard Room Passholder rates for the Value Resorts.

The rates at the Values have skyrocketed the last few years.

Disney has been adding amenities to the Values to make the increases "feel" justified.

And I don't think they are done-look for more increases in rates and more new amenities.

I'm looking at paying $160 for a standard room next August. I think that's about what I paid at POFQ for the same timeframe fours years ago.

I just searched the same dates on a hotel booking website. Unfortunately, accept for the 1-star hotels that I wouldn't want to stay at, $173 is probably lower than average for the Disney Area hotels. In this case, Disney is priced below the average market price for similar hotels in the same area and they still offer all the benefits of staying their resort.

I just edited my post, because I incorrectly said the opp complained about the pop rate. I apologize.

To answer the question, does this price seem normal? I would say yes. I would also say, if you pay rack rates, you probably are missing out in some kind of discount. I would suggest look for savings by booking a package (offering savings in rooms, dining, tickets, etc.), look at other dates, or possibly longer stays, which will likely increase your overall vacation cost, but makes you feel better because you have reduced your per day/night cost.

Last edited:
Since when is asking a question the same as complaining??:confused3 Op asked a specific question regarding POP and not off property hotels. Your search and reply are irrelevant to the question asked.

The refurbishment of Pop starts to make the rooms closer in quality to the mods. The new rooms have two queen beds, coffeemaker, fridge and electronic safe. Just a little smaller in square footage. As the mods get refurbished, those prices will go up and be more in between the values and deluxes.

The rates are about to price me out to stay onsite. If I can't get a great deal through my TA, I don't see me staying at Disney. Hopefully within the next couple of years we might buy into DVC, but Disney is getting absolutely absurd on the hotel pricing.

Some of this probably has to do with the Caribbean Beach refurb......rooms are reduced.....and demand is high. Another issue may be the costs of all the construction going on at WDW..........also time of year as others have said and the final issue could be/is probably just inflation (at Disney :) ). Its hard to predict discounts too. The late fall discounts have just not been there. The only data that can be used here is the fact that many rooms are and have been booked.

My take is it will only get more challenging. With ToyStory Land set for opening next summer and Star Wars Land the summer after...........onsite room pricing and availability will probably go up big time. My wife and I have booked for late August 2018 and the pricing is much more than we've ever paid before. What we've done is book what we feel we can afford.....that's it....which brings our vacation to 4 nights instead of our usual 6 nights. Now if we somehow get a discount :D....that's fantastic........we may adjust our days.....but we're not counting on it.

We've been to WDW 9 times in the past 4 years so this reduction isn't so terrible for us....we're fortunate. (note we plan a year in advance and save like maniacs to go this often) However if you don't do WDW as often............my advice, for what it's worth :-), would be to book out as far as you can if you must be onsite. That way there's time to save. I'd also say book what you're "willing" to pay for at "rack rate". The one thing I've seen recently is so many upset by the "lack" of discounts available both to the public and AP holders. Many folks now expect discounts and are livid when they can't get one. Unfortunately those discounts are to fill rooms.........and when rooms are filled there is no need for discounts. Now some will argue that Disney is just holding rooms back.......but I have never seen any actual evidence that this is the case.

The reality is there's a ton of new stuff coming to WDW (and Disneyland for that matter) and plenty of demand..........with limited onsite room supply.............therefore prices are going up. o_O

Doug :goofy:

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter