Pop Century Rates Way Up For 2018

BridgetBordeaux

DIS Veteran
It used to be that Art of Animation was the "high priced" value resort. Pop and All Stars cost almost the same. (Pop was a touch more expensive)
For 2018 there are two major changes to the price structure in addition to the usual "annual increase" that occurs each and every year.

Change One: During certain times of the year, there is now an elevated cost for both Sunday and Thursday nights.
Change Two: Pop now costs 10 to 20 bucks more than All Stars during the cheap seasons
The gap between a night at All Stars and Pop is now very noticeable. For 6 or 7 nights, it really adds up.

OUCH........that hurts!

In case your budget is tight, I wanted to pass this on. Between the increased cost of an AP and these increases, we will be cutting back on 2018. We are also going to let our AP expire and may take a breather for a while.

Last edited:
I noticed this myself when I originally booked Pop for our April trip. Pop was going for about $20 more a night than All Stars Music and more than $30 extra a night than All Stars Sports. With the gondolas not even being done, I decided to upgrade to POR for $200 more total for 9 days. At least I'll get a boat to Disney Springs, a hot tub, and a water slide on our days off from the parks.

It is probably due to the refurbishment going on now at POP. If I remember right, about 5-7 years ago, one of the All Stars had a refurbishment and that resort was about $10 more a night than the other value resorts.

I discovered this while changing from A/S to POP for a trip the last week of April, 2018. I had to pay $75 more............and these reservations were with my 30 percent off military rate.

I am not surprised. Just as there are different pricing levels of deluxe resorts, it’s now trickling down to the values. AoA, then Pop, then All Star. I wouldn’t be surprised if AoA goes up about the same percentage and for the same days of the week. I used to stay almost exclusively deluxe, but the last few years the prices have pretty much doubled so I am down to maybe one deluxe trip per year if I am lucky. It’s almost all mod and value now. I do have a good rate at Pop for January, but my end of April trip (which should be outside of spring break dates) is $50 more per night right now. Of course, no discounts have been issued for those dates yet, and there’s always the chance I can get a bounce back rate, but if not then that’s just what it is. I wish my paycheck went up as fast as Disney hotel rates do . . .

I am not surprised. Just as there are different pricing levels of deluxe resorts, it’s now trickling down to the values. AoA, then Pop, then All Star. I wouldn’t be surprised if AoA goes up about the same percentage and for the same days of the week. I used to stay almost exclusively deluxe, but the last few years the prices have pretty much doubled so I am down to maybe one deluxe trip per year if I am lucky. It’s almost all mod and value now. I do have a good rate at Pop for January, but my end of April trip (which should be outside of spring break dates) is $50 more per night right now. Of course, no discounts have been issued for those dates yet, and there’s always the chance I can get a bounce back rate, but if not then that’s just what it is. I wish my paycheck went up as fast as Disney hotel rates do . . .
Me too!

It used to be that Art of Animation was the "high priced" value resort. Pop and All Stars cost almost the same. (Pop was a touch more expensive)
For 2018 there are two major changes to the price structure in addition to the usual "annual increase" that occurs each and every year.

Change One: During certain times of the year, there is now an elevated cost for both Sunday and Thursday nights.
Change Two: Pop now costs 10 to 20 bucks more than All Stars during the cheap seasons
The gap between a night at All Stars and Pop is now very noticeable. For 6 or 7 nights, it really adds up.

OUCH........that hurts!

In case your budget is tight, I wanted to pass this on. Between the increased cost of an AP and these increases, we will be cutting back on 2018. We are also going to let our AP expire and may take a breather for a while.

Ugh. These price hikes have had a negative affect on our trips too. We used to go twice a year, and have AP. We have cut our trips to once a year and let our AP lapse. We used to stay at a moderate during winter trip, we decided to take a fall trip next month (Nov) instead of a WDW trip last Aug 2017 and staying at Pop. Next Sept staying at WL Instead of Monorail Resort. The huge AP hike was a shocker.
Seems no end to the WDW price hikes.

We're staying at POP in Feb/March and I was surprised at the $171/night price tag. It seemed high to me for a moderate. I better get one of those refurbished rooms for that price!!

We're staying at POP in Feb/March and I was surprised at the $171/night price tag. It seemed high to me for a moderate. I better get one of those refurbished rooms for that price!!
:scared1: That’s crazy for a value resort. 260sq Ft Room. The Reno looks nice but it’s still 260 sqft room and resort still lacks the amenities of a pool slide, hot tub, table service and pretty landscaping and theming of a moderate. The last time I stayed at POR with an AP discount it was $170.

I thought Pop was a value resort.

I thought Pop was a value resort.
It is, but I guess that's considered Peak season? It's right before spring break so you wouldn't think it would be this high, but it is. It was either POP or spend less and go to an All Star which I don't have the desire to do. We are on a budget (not tight enough to have to do All Stars, but tight enough that we can't do a moderate).

We aren't getting any discounts. No AP, military, Florida resident. Tried getting a discount when they came out, but they were gone right away.

We've been bouncing from Sports and POP for last few years. I find POP has always been around $15+ more per night than Sports. Movies will be in middle or closer to POP and Music usually less than all.

I just booked our January week ... average rate (Sunday higher) -
POP $97
Sports $100
Movies $103
Music $84
Same rates some other January weeks.

But looking at the April week we went last year - HUGE HUGE difference higher, but so are the Allstars. All I know is if they keep at these crazy prices, I'll be staying offsite.

We've been bouncing from Sports and POP for last few years. I find POP has always been around $15+ more per night than Sports. Movies will be in middle or closer to POP and Music usually less than all.

POP $97
Sports $100
Movies $103
Music $84

But looking at the April week we went last year - HUGE HUGE difference higher, but so are the Allstars. All I know is if they keep at these crazy prices, I'll be staying offsite.
You got $97 in January?! I'm so jealous. Almost $100 less/night.

I too noted the unusually wide gap between Pop and All Stars for 2018. As much as I love staying on property, it is getting hard to justify. I'm typing this message from my room at the Rosen Inn on I- Drive, which I scored for $46 per night on Expedia. I stayed at Quality Inn by the Lake on 192 in August. That was $60 per night. Disney can't compete with that. Maybe I'll get a room on site again for special occasions, but I really enjoy having the extra $100 per night in my pocket. Having an AP takes away the parking cost making it an even better deal.

POP $97
Sports $100
Movies $103
Music $84

When are you staying/are you getting any discounts?

When are you staying/are you getting any discounts?

Week of January 21st, picked POP at $97. That was 15% off. I've had as much as 30% off there so it's not the best but still under $100. Week of Jan 7th same rates as I got, and the week before was slightly higher, prob MLK, but still offered discount. The last week the Allstars were all in the $80's - if I could go that week I would and probably pick Sports.

The surprise was most weeks I looked at CBR was around $134 a night. For some that is a great rate ... I still like POP rates if I can manage a renovated room aka great sleeping queens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!