Pop Century Room Renovations

goofy4tink--Do you think the lack of soundproofing would make it hard for 1 person to get ready without waking anyone else in the room up?
No, I don't think so. With the sliding door between the vanity area and the sleeping area, it shouldn't be hard. I would just be careful about clomping around on my way out!!! The lack of rug does mean less noise is absorbed!!!

I was able to wake up early and get ready without waking my DD when we were there a few weeks ago. She took the Murphy bed so it was farthest away from the bathroom. I shower in the afternoon (after our pool time) so not sure how that or a hair dryer would work out. With our white noise machine, though, my DD was able to sleep through my morning preparations, including running the sink water.

We had three adults in the room last week, and with a white noise machine I slept through both of them showering and dressing, and flushing. I was also in the Murphy. This time we were on the ground floor (last time, new room, top floor) and the only extra noise I heard during the day was the occasional sound of chairs moving above us. I guess we got lucky with neighbors. I have not had a connecting room yet to see how that might be as far as noise goes.

Just checked in to Pop Century and received refurbished room as requested. I’m in Building 6. Looks like they may still be working on a part of this block and Building 8 now.
Love the renovations!
I thought building 8 was complete. Are they doing a repair?

Just checked in to Pop Century and received refurbished room as requested. I’m in Building 6. Looks like they may still be working on a part of this block and Building 8 now.
Love the renovations!

Does your room number start with a '6'?

Building 8 is a little confusing as rooms starting with an '8' were the first section completed back in the summer.

Just returned from Pop stay. 10 days. A few thoughts. Loved the new room, not location so much! We were in building 7 in the back of beyond. If you go thru tunnel by Roger Rabbit and turn left that’s where we were!
First floor room. I didn’t mind it at all. Rarely heard noise above. One night it sounded like a heard of elephants above me but only lasted an hour. I had a connecting room. My friend was on other side of door. She said she could hear me when I was on the phone with my family. And I don’t talk particularly loud so if you have connecting room be prepared to hear neighbour I guess.

Housekeeping: I will say room was kept clean. But the problem was suppling. Coffee and toiletries weren’t refreshed. I usually took some creamers from food court on my way back to room. But had to phone at various times for coffee, cups, or soap. It was a hit or miss. One housekeeper was very good mid stay at keeping supplies refreshed. Otherwise hit or miss. I’ve never had to phone front desk at any resort before to ask for supplies. I had daily housekeeping.

Busses :scared: more of a miss. Service mostly awful with long waits. Wasn’t uncommon to have 30+ minute wait. Ocassionally felt like we lucked out with only a 10-15 min wait, lol. But that was rare. It has to be the worst bus service I’ve ever had at WDW. No matter what Resort there’s always that morning when 3 of every bus comes except your bus. But at Pop the waits were consistently bad. My friend has had many stays at Pop and said this was the worst she’s ever experienced and she was there last in May.

Building 6 looks to be coming along. I didn’t get a good look inside because paths were blocked but at night lights are on and it looked like furniture was in rooms.

The Pop managers were great. On a phone call to front desk asking for coffee cups, I told CM that room was not being stocked. Manager phoned me back. I had the front desk extension from first day when I asked for a clock. CM left me a VM saying they didn’t have any, and left me extension of desk in case I needed anything more.
On new phones there is no front desk or housekeeping button. Just Resort Services. Which is probably an off site call centre. So I was glad to get a extension #. Picked up right away. Tried Resort Service button once, and all it did was ring.
Also great CMs at Front Desk and Gift Shop. I can’t say about food court, we only ate there once. Mostly there just to fill mugs. Ate at AoA once for dinner. Had make your own pasta. It was good but got the wrong sauce. The rest of my party already had their food and I figured if I had to wait for them to re make my plate my friends would have finished their dinner! So I just ate it with sauce I got.

Luckily I was given a late check out. My leaving day the weather turned, temp dropped from 80s to 50’s and rainy. My DME was 1:30 so didn’t plan on parks, esp with iffy bus service. Too unreliable and didn’t want to miss DME. So I was able to stay in room and finish packing and get some rest before long flight. Had breakfast in food court.
We waited 10 min past pick up time for one family to board :sad2: so rude making entire packed bus wait on you. It was a good thing it’s now 4 hrs before flight. If it was the usual 3 hrs I would have been panicked. Security lines looked long. I had TSA pre check so just breezed in.

I enjoyed Pop, but certainly needs some kinks worked on.

Last edited:

Here now. Checked in Monday around 5:30 or 6 and had received my email of no renovated room - in fact none of my requests were met. Asked politely about switching and it was a no go (she did check) I was definitely disappointed, especially coming off 2 nights at the Universal Hard Rock. But now that we are here and settled in and done the walk to and from the car (I thought we were a bit far from parking but turns out it isn’t bad at all) a couple times it is all good.

I was a bit disappointed in the whole check in process - seems maybe we had a newer CM that wasn’t that into making it a magical experience but maybe I was just tired from a long day at Universal. She did say Building 6 had some renovated rooms open though!

Just walked past Building 5 and the section closest to the hall are now closed and they have started taking things out.

This makes me very happy! With a preferred pool view booked for mid-June my chances of getting a reno room are looking better! Hopefully they will have the entire 60s finished by the time we visit.

Here now. Checked in Monday around 5:30 or 6 and had received my email of no renovated room - in fact none of my requests were met. Asked politely about switching and it was a no go (she did check) I was definitely disappointed, especially coming off 2 nights at the Universal Hard Rock. But now that we are here and settled in and done the walk to and from the car (I thought we were a bit far from parking but turns out it isn’t bad at all) a couple times it is all good.

I was a bit disappointed in the whole check in process - seems maybe we had a newer CM that wasn’t that into making it a magical experience but maybe I was just tired from a long day at Universal. She did say Building 6 had some renovated rooms open though!

Do you think checking in "late" reduces chances of getting a renovated room? (we would be checking in about the same time as you) What room category did you have?

Do you think checking in "late" reduces chances of getting a renovated room? (we would be checking in about the same time as you) What room category did you have?

Rooms are assigned 2-3 days out so when you check in has no affect on getting your requests granted.

Rooms are assigned 2-3 days out so when you check in has no affect on getting your requests granted.

Interesting. I'll be checking into Pop in January, and requested a refurbished room with a deep clean (son has allergies). We'll be getting to the resort early in the morning, and we figured the room wouldn't be ready so we were just going to head to Epcot after dropping off our bags and stopping by the front desk to check in. I wondered if having requested a refurbished room along with a medical deep clean would decrease my chances of getting a refurbished room (especially since it would take longer to clean the room and have it ready), but if the room assignments are done 2-3 days before arrival?

Guess I won't know anything before checking in anyway, so no use stressing myself over it!

Our flight doesn’t arrive until 5pm and I think it will negatively affect my chances of getting a refurbished room. While room assignments are done 2-3 days in advance we read often on here of people arriving, being assigned an old room, requesting a refurbished room and that request being granted. They have to find that room somewhere and my guess is it’s from people who haven’t arrived yet.

I’m hoping I’m wrong but am also fully prepared not to have my refurbished room request granted due to my late arrival time.

Not saying I’m right, just how I’m preparing myself. I guess the one thing that disproves my theory (and in this case that’s a good thing ) is that room sssignnent notifications go out earlier in the day. I can’t see them changing a room once the notification has been sent...hopefully!)

I just read one comment about the shower sliding doors. I forgot to say that ours too kept sliding open, but oddly, only for the last few days. It was fine the first week and a half. We had to use one of our larger shampoo bottles to prevent it from sliding.

I just read one comment about the shower sliding doors. I forgot to say that ours too kept sliding open, but oddly, only for the last few days. It was fine the first week and a half. We had to use one of our larger shampoo bottles to prevent it from sliding.

Ours kept sliding open too...I just reversed the doors (I slid the front one to the back and the back one to the front) and it stopped.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter