POP For 1st Solo Trip?

aubriee

<font color=brown><marquee>Chocolate always makes
Just got back Saturday (01/15/05) from a split stay at WL and AKL. Had a great trip and was already planning my solo trip while I was down there. I had planned to wait until the codes for May came out, but today decided I didn't want to wait. I just booked POP Century for May 14th-May 21st for $110.38/night including tax. I requested to be facing the lake on the top floor of either 50's or 70's Buildings. I don't expect the ambience of the WL or AKL and really just need a comfortable place to sleep at night. Can someone tell me something to get me excited about POP for a solo 40ish female (views, comfortable beds, good transportation, safety, etc)? I asked if I qualified for any discounts and was told no. If I can get a good AP code I may upgrade to a moderate, but then again may stay where I'm at and use the extra money for nicer sit down restaurants and more souveneirs. If I can rent DVC points for about the same price $110.00 or so a night I may rent DVC points Sun-Thurs and then stay at POP Fri-Sat when the DVC rates go up. Anyone else do this? I'm so excited as this will be the first time I've ever gone anywhere totally alone. Can't wait! Also thinking about doing some tours.

hey I will be there then.....

this is in my opinion a fun place. You might like the 60 or 70's better than 50's. since you won't remember anything about the 50's. but you can look around the entire resort. I love the lake!!!

I also like the food court. It has been busy but never the crowds I got at the All Stars.

you only have one bus stop so that it easy.

the 50's have their own swimming pool, the 70's don't - but there is the main pool in the 60's and another quiet pool in the 80's (not far from the 70's).

so there are plenty of pools.

OKW, DVC resort, will be around $100 for Sun-thurs (leaving fri), SSR will be $120 same time, VWL, BCV and BWV (pref) $140. BWV(standard) $110 (if you can get this one)

views - now I am use to having a balcony with a real view - but hey looking at that lake or pool is very nice.

even the bad reviews in the 50's get an Epcot view for the fireworks.

I was just at POP and will be back there in September....it's a fun resort, the food court has awesome desserts! Can I get a shout out for the twinkie tiramasu?! Mmmm ! And I think all the wandering around the resorts looking at the icons is so cool! And how neat are the signs posted along the pathway?! I learned alot of stuff just wandering around! See you in September~! :flower1:

I stayed at PC for a solo trip in December, 2004. Fifties Building 3 (as the CMs say or C, as the signs say), top floor, facing the lake. Nice view of the IllumiNations fireworks in the evening! The location was selected for convenience, not theme. About a two-minute stroll to the main building and one-minute stroll to the parking lot.

Definitely clean and neat. Small, but certainly large enough for one person. Very nice CMs.

This value resort has good soundproofing between the rooms. I had families on either side of me and never heard a peep from them! :) If you want to avoid pool noise, be sure to be on the opposite side of the building (which I was).

There is a bank of two elevators for each building, plus stairs at the end of each "spoke" extending from the elevator bank. Ice (N/C) and drink vending machines on Floors 2 & 4, snacks vending also available on Floors 1 & 3.

The food court is--well, a food court! I wasn't crazy about the food, but I'm a horrendously picky eater. They do have a lot of pastries in the morning, and you can purchase fruit, which was nice. I shopped off site for some fruit, veggies, bread rolls, water and crackers. If you aren't renting a car, you certainly can purchase the basics there.

Safety: I felt perfectly safe, although I always request the top floor as a solo female traveler. Just use common sense and you'll be fine!

This was the only trip where I actually used my rental car instead of leaving it in the parking lot most of the visit! PC has it's own buses (it may share during the slowest times, but everyone I've talked to has not had to share with other resorts at any time since it opened). I believe the bus stop is outside Centennial Hall (main building).

I had a a$49 per night AP rate when I was there (value season), which is about $56 per night with tax. Definitely a good value! I don't think the rate codes are out for May yet. The latest date I recall is mid-April.

The beds are comfortable. One thing I like better than the moderate and deluxe resorts is that the bedspreads are lighter weight. Much nicer!

PC also provides individual soaps and shampoos, the same as the moderate resorts. If you need to request a hair dryer (not sure who planned rooms without hair dryers!), contact Housekeeping well in advance. It took 3 hours to get mine and 4 calls, but others have said they received theirs within 30 minutes. You can keep the hair dryer in your room for the length of your stay. I've heard reports of ineffective hair dryers, but mine was fine after I fussed with the switches for a bit.

I will probably stay at Pop on a first time sort of solo trip April 13-17. I have stayed there twice before and feel very comfortable. Never alone tho.

My DD is driving 20 hours on a bus with her high school choir to do a music program and sing at MGM. I don't want to spend all that time on the bus, so I am flying down. Her choir is not staying on Disney property. I will. We plan to hook up in WDW as much as possible, but I will not be able to take her schools bus back to the off site hotel, so I will have to drive to the hotel myself. I don't feel comfortable doing this late at night. So I am thinking I am better off staying on property. The only thing I am not thrilled about,is walking back to my car at night after the parks. I usually park in the handicap lot, (had both hips replaced, but I am fine now), and that way I don't take a tram to my car. I am thinking, maybe I would be better off doing the tram tho, expecially in MK as you have to walk under the road and no one is around to get to the lot.

I am used to being the last one out of the park in AUgust of Christmas time tho, when the parks are open late. If they are not open that late in April, then no problem. Ok, I have rambled enough!

I stayed for the good night kiss at MK and was one of the last out of the park after MVMCP last December, and felt fine walking from the parking lot to my room at PC in the 50s section, Building 3 (signs say Building C--very confusing!). All of the closer spots were filled, but parking farther out in the lot only added about a minute to my walk (and I can't walk fast--more of a moderate stroll). About a two-minute walk from my farthest parking spot to my room; about one minute if I was in my usual mid-way spot.

Definitely would stay there again, particularly with a discount! :)

I was at Pop in November and was pretty disappointed. I did not get the Disney feeling, like I've had at other resorts. I found it pretty crowded, the pools a bit loud at times and depending on where your room is located, it can be a bit of a hike to get to the main building or bus stop. If I were you, I would strongly recommend either staying at Port Orleans French Quarter, or if finances allow, head back to the Wilderness Lodge. Been to WDW solo 5 times, with 2 stays at POFQ, 2 at the Wilderness Lodge and once at the Polynesian. By far my favorite is the Wilderness Lodge. I'd check to see if they have any rooms either at the WL or POFQ at a AAA discounted rate while you wait for the discount codes to come out. Also, if you already have one, check to see what they may have available for an AP rate.

I stayed at Pop solo, and didn't have any problems whatsoever. All CM's I encountered were polite and friendly, and the grounds were always well lit and safe. As another poster said, use common sense, and you'll be safe.

Have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter