Portofino Bay or Royal Pacific

CynBeth

DIS Veteran
We are 3 adults no kids thinking about spending a few days at Universal prior to a Disney trip next year around Thanksgiving 2021. We have visited a few times years ago just for a day never stayed on property and are considering either Portofino Bay or Royal Pacific. Have seen pictures of both and they look amazing. Any info or advice you can give to help us decide would be great. One thing that could tip us towards one or the other is my family members have food allergies so am wondering how the breakfasts are at each resort they need a restaurant that offers a buffet but has an omelet station that can prepare fresh eggs or has an a la carte menu. Also, what is the self parking situation like at each? Thanks!

PB has more square footage in their rooms than RP
For 3 adults, it’s always better to have more room
space

Can’t answer your question about the food / omlet station as I don’t go for another two weeks

Both hotels will be excellent for folks with allergies, you`ll have no worries there with any of the hotels.

Even if the omelette stations aren`t back up and running, they will be able to prepare food for your family members requirements.

Self parking is easy at both hotels.

We have stayed at both and prefer PBH. The bigger rooms made more of a difference than I was expecting (for 2 adults and 2 kids). There is something extra relaxing about PBH; I think the ferry boat ride into the Bay is amazing. Even if you don't stay there, it is something worth visiting.

We ate at Bice one night and sat outdoors. Listening to the opera singer while eating dinner was great!

We have stayed at both resorts at club level. Agree with Mrsjvb regarding Portofino club lounge, but RP controlled access to the lounge better. and the club was on our floor. Offerings in each were great. We reserved an upgrade room in PBH, so we tend to like the deluxe room better. We enjoyed walking to the parks from RP, but you could take a boat from each. At PBH, we hire a rickshaw multiple times...that was pretty cool due to the people who provided the service. We often just missed the boats at PBH. If dining is your thing, take a look at the offering of each resort to make your own assessment, as my thoughts/feeling may differ from yours. We preferred PBH, but at RP, you can easily make it down to the City Walk. Again, you can get there from both resorts, but if time is a factor that matters...then PBH is something to consider. So, it may come down to theming, location, and dining options...

We've found that PBH is a little further walk to the parks than coming from RPR. PBH is also closest to the Universal side while RPR is closest to IOA side, but that doesn't matter if you plan to use the water taxis every time as they will drop you off in the same spot. We think PBH has the best theme on property, but RPR is likely to be the cheaper option. PBH also has great pools.

I agree with PPs that accommodating food allergies won't be an issue. I would not expect buffets to come back for a while. I can't speak to the dining at PBH, but we've never been impressed with Islands at RPR. Service is fine, but food and options were always meh for us. We love the Kitchen at HRH the most, but I'm not sure what they are like in the current environment.

Pros for Both. But for 3 adults PBH rooms are larger. Also much more food options. but it’s the furthest from the parks.
And not sure when it will open. We had res for late Nov and were moved to HRH.
RPH is beautiful, love the tropical vibe. I don’t know if I’d want to share with 3 adults as rooms are smaller.
Its closer to the parks. But HRH is really close!

Thanks everyone! We are booked at PBH for a few days prior to Disney in November 2021.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!