Possible to do RCCL without tons of added cost?

Lollipop's Mom

<font color=teal>Special trip with your little one
Been spoiled by 5 Disney cruises, but DD is turning 18 this May and we plan to cruise in September and need a break from Disney - looking at the Allure or Oasis, as there is so much to do.
I don't care about add on restaurants, but what other stuff should I budget for? Soda cards we would probably use - what else costs? Johnny rockets? Cupcakes?
It just seems at a first glance that more stuff costs extra on RCCL than what is included- maybe its just me.
Are the activities like the zip line included?

Absolutely!!! You don't really have to spend another penny if you don't want to.

Some "optional" expenses would be the soda card, Starbucks coffee, alcohol, bingo, gambling, Johnny Rockets (about $5), cupcakes, Spa services, some fitness classes, specialty dining, etc.

Really no different than other lines.

The regular activies, such as rock climbing, zip line and flo-rider are included in your cruise cost.

Except for tours, we spend very little on the on board extras. We still have a blast and our DD (as a teenager) had non stop activities.

We spent money on:

drinks packages and a water package (they have new drinks packages now, it's worth checking out IF anyone might want anything other than soda and tap water)

Ben&Jerry's ice cream

a few drinks for me

I think that's it of the things you're asking about.

Also on our account were tips and purchases we made on the ship.

Ah, there were also arcade charges.

Of course, there were arcade charges on our Disney cruises as well.

. . . It just seems at a first glance that more stuff costs extra on RCCL than what is included - maybe its just me.
I pulled out the final bill from our last RCI cruise, which was for 13 nights. Other than gratuities (which one pays on any cruise), our total bill was $4.50. That's right -- four dollars and fifty cents.

My DW and I don't drink soda, and are content with the included food and beverage offerings. We've been to upcharge restaurants on prior RCI cruises, but don't feel compelled to do that on every cruise. Likewise, when we go to the local mall, we don't feel compelled to go to Ben & Jerry's or Johnny Rockets every visit.

Woody

We were on the Independence and across from the cupcake place there was a coffee shop that had free cookies, little sandwiches and snacks. We enjoyed the free stuff a lot!

Whilst it seems that there are more things to pay for on royal than disney that is only because there are a lot more options. Yes there are more up charge restaurants, not all of the greatest quality, but there are also more free food options and places to eat especially on oasis/allure.

Freebies include the zip wire, flowrider, climbing wall, ice skating, aqua theatre shows, etc. none of which appear on disney.

We managed without a drinks package and I don't even drink tea or coffee. Free options include lemonade, flavoured water, juice at breakfast, plenty of iced water, tea, coffee and hot chocolate sachets. There was always somewhere open for free drinks.

We're going on our first cruise in May. I thought cruises were all inclusive, besides excursions. Will we have to pay for sodas and alcoholic drinks?

We're going on our first cruise in May. I thought cruises were all inclusive, besides excursions. Will we have to pay for sodas and alcoholic drinks?

Some travel agents offer promotions with drinks packages included, have you booked with this kind of offer? If not then you will need to either book a drinks package or you pay for them on an individual basis. Only disney cruises offer free soda as standard, and only premium 6 star cruise lines tend to offer a fully inclusive program.

Some travel agents offer promotions with drinks packages included, have you booked with this kind of offer? If not then you will need to either book a drinks package or you pay for them on an individual basis. Only disney cruises offer free soda as standard, and only premium 6 star cruise lines tend to offer a fully inclusive program.

Thank-you for the information.

unless you are booked on a luxury line yes you will pay extra for alcohol and soda( Disney includes soda in the base price, no other line does but most will offer a package where you pay one price and get unlimited soda. usually about 5 per day you break even. no they cannot be shared)

also not included in the base price is specialty coffee( with or without booze such as cappuccinos and lattes) specialty dining and any ice cream that isn't the self serve soft serve at the buffet or served in the MDR.

everything that costs extra will clearly have the price marked.

I think you'd have to pay a very very large amount to get on a cruise line that's truly all-inclusive...

Just got off Explorer of The Seas a week ago. We spent very little that we wouldn't have spent on a Disney cruise. We had a drink each night either before or after dinner, visited Ben and Jerry's twice, and Johnny Rockets once. Other than that, we did some onboard shopping and we paid our tips. We were quite happy to drink water with our meals, and in a few locations there was lemonade and iced tea at mealtimes. We didn't get a drink package. We didn't go to the upcharge restaurant, which we usually do on Disney.

Beth

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter