Possible Visit to WDW in October. Good links for current visits?

So, I went back and forth for a couple days (it seems expensive and kind of selfish for how everything is right now) about this trip, but I’ve finally decided to go ahead and do it, and cut my budget a little (and try to put in some extra hours) so I feel slightly more responsible. 😂 So I don’t think I’m staying at the Dolphin, but I was really leaning towards wanting to rent a car anyway, because thinking of all that public transport and stuff to and from the airport to and from the parks, I knew that I would be totally over my mask at the end of the day all of those days, and just wanting to rip it off. A rental car gives me that opportunity, And gives lots of air conditioning if it’s been a long day. :-) If I can cut my mask wearing by 45-60 minutes a day, I think it will be worth it... right now I’m staying at the Delta Hotels Orlando Lake Buena Vista, because we can get a ton of southwest points with it. I bought my ticket through Undercover Tourist, and made my reservations. HS on Friday, MK on Saturday, and AK on Sunday. We’ll see how the crowds are. I think it will be busy-ish. But knowing I’ll have my AP back sometime in the next few months, hopefully, I don’t feel the need to do a lot of the stuff that’s pretty identical to DLR.
The interesting change that might affect my trip is that my dad’s considering going with me. I’ll be interested to see what he decides, but hopefully this week he’ll know. He’s the one that got me addicted to Disneyland in the first place, and I’ve traveled alone with him before (though it was almost 20 years ago when we did a week in D.C.!). It would be different than a solo trip, but would have some perks. I would be happy either way, but I hope he decides soon, because it’s messing with my planning! 😂
Recommendations for favorite quick service places in HS, MK, and AK? I’m going to try for one sit down around 2 pm every day, with haven’t figured one out at AK yet. Yak and Yeti isn’t available. Is the Yak and Yeti Local Food Cafes place also tasty?
Also, favorite snacks at WDW? I’m a little more savory- than sweet-inclined.
One more (for now): How early can I park? I’m normally a rope drop girl at DLR, and it gives me a little thrill when I can be first in line at a turnstile. How early can I get there, and does it change depending on which park it is? How does the rope drop experience work at this point? Anybody know? I will look in the threads you guys have suggested too.

I have nothing to add except I am so jealous and wish I could go with you. I will live vicariously - trip report??

I have nothing to add except I am so jealous and wish I could go with you. I will live vicariously - trip report??
I love trip reports, but I'm intimidated by the WDW board, haha! I'll probably do one anyway. :)

At MK everyone is raving about Sleepy Hollow. I think they have the Halloween food
Thanks, that wasn't even on my radar, but I definitely want to check it out! The only part I really wish was different (other than the masks, haha) was just a few more hours in the park. 8 PM would be awesome! But at least this way I'll be forced to get some sleep at night. When Disneyland opens at 8 am and closes at midnight, multiple day trips wreck me, because of my inability to do the parks in moderation or go back to my room and rest most of the time! :)

Thanks, that wasn't even on my radar, but I definitely want to check it out! The only part I really wish was different (other than the masks, haha) was just a few more hours in the park. 8 PM would be awesome! But at least this way I'll be forced to get some sleep at night. When Disneyland opens at 8 am and closes at midnight, multiple day trips wreck me, because of my inability to do the parks in moderation or go back to my room and rest most of the time! :)
I bet if you worded it right, it could go in the DL Community board. The DLR Regular's Guide to WDW? What to know if you go to the other park? Ways to get a Disneyland fix when California is closed? There's got to be a title that will work 😉
Even if I put it over there, I could probably put a link like that to it, you're right. :) I need to finish my March TR here though, because I have neglected it shockingly with all my sadness. :P I think I kept hoping if I dragged it out, I would be actually planning another Disneyland trip before I finished!

I’m following! I’m glad you’re going! We are considering doing a totally last minute trip in less than a week! None of us have ever been and I literally don’t know much about the parks. I’m a planner so this is stressing me out!

I did read that some of the parks are opening a bit earlier than the times posted. I was bummed about the hours too. But figure we will be tired from the time change.

Have a great time!!!

I’m following! I’m glad you’re going! We are considering doing a totally last minute trip in less than a week! None of us have ever been and I literally don’t know much about the parks. I’m a planner so this is stressing me out!

I did read that some of the parks are opening a bit earlier than the times posted. I was bummed about the hours too. But figure we will be tired from the time change.

Have a great time!!!
Read some of the threads over on the WDW side. It seems like right now is the perfect time to wing a disney world trip. There's limited table restaurants, so QS is the way to go.Hours are short, but I haven't seen anyone mention that they couldn't get through everything (minus ROTR, but that's another beast).

Read some of the threads over on the WDW side. It seems like right now is the perfect time to wing a disney world trip. There's limited table restaurants, so QS is the way to go.Hours are short, but I haven't seen anyone mention that they couldn't get through everything (minus ROTR, but that's another beast).
Awesome, thank you! Yes. We have yet to ride ROTR in DL. So if we went, would love to experience it. Never in a million years did I think I would ride ROTR at WDW before DL!

I went to WDW in January and rode it there. Still haven't ridden it at DL lol.
Despite going nearly every Sunday since it opened (and the occasional weekday as well), I've only been able to ride ROTR once at DL. The upside is that once the park reopens, it'll almost feel like a new attraction to me. Truth be told, though, what I look forward to most is seeing people I know (hopefully), dozens of rounds of Buzz Lightyear (even a few for which my score flows through to the photo kiosk ;-)) and simply walking around the park. It's been far too long. For all of us.

Last edited:
I bet if you worded it right, it could go in the DL Community board. The DLR Regular's Guide to WDW? What to know if you go to the other park? ...
We actually have a post like that on the main board as part of @HydroGuy's tip compilation thread: "An Introduction To WDW For DLR Vets" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=16541636. But there is always room for an updated/post-COVID report to add to that tip list!

Smart idea about renting a car to be able to take your mask off more often! I hadn't thought of that. We are somewhat talking about going to WDW when it cools down a bit. It would be a huge undertaking for us, but we thought if the lines are as short as we're hearing and we could also go to Universal to see the Harry Potter stuff, it might be fun.

I do struggle with wearing a mask outdoors in high heat, though. I spent about 8 hours outdoors in a mask, mostly in the sun yesterday and I almost fell flat on my face a few times. It was really nice to get in the air conditioned car for a long drive at the end of the day!

Have a great time!!!
Please, please report back! I'm getting so nervous about the increasing crowds without increasing capacity I've been reading about in the current visits thread. I can only visit on a weekend, too, so I'm not sure what I'll decide as my trip gets closer. If Disneyland is open before then, I might jump ship (only my ticket is non-refundable, and I can move that to next year sometime with UT) if it continues to get worst as it approaches Halloween.

I have been reading and reading, trying to get a handle on the situation!

Despite going nearly every Sunday since it opened (and the occasional weekday as well), I've only been able to ride ROTR once at DL. The upside is that once the park reopens, it'll almost feel like a new attraction to me. Truth be told, though, what I look forward to most is seeing people I know (hopefully), dozens of rounds of Buzz Lightyear (even a few for which my score flows through to the photo kiosk ;-)) and simply walking around the park. It's been far too long. For all of us.
I super agree. Every month the closure continues, I'm just less and less hopeful for some reason. :-/ But on the flip side, I did ride ROTR 3 times between January and March, so at least that's one I don't feel pressure to even try for in WDW if I go.

Smart idea about renting a car to be able to take your mask off more often! I hadn't thought of that. We are somewhat talking about going to WDW when it cools down a bit. It would be a huge undertaking for us, but we thought if the lines are as short as we're hearing and we could also go to Universal to see the Harry Potter stuff, it might be fun.

I do struggle with wearing a mask outdoors in high heat, though. I spent about 8 hours outdoors in a mask, mostly in the sun yesterday and I almost fell flat on my face a few times. It was really nice to get in the air conditioned car for a long drive at the end of the day!

I want to go to Universal too! But that will definitely be a big part of our trip when I go with DH, and it's my Disney fix that I'm dying for right now! I will probably wait until about a week before my trip to decide for sure, based on weather and how things go the weekend before crowd-handling-wise. (And if Disneyland has an opening date yet... that will be a big decision-influencer too. For the same price as this trip will cost I could stay right across the street (haha, luxury!) from Disneyland and have a great time! I don't know how they'll be handling AP reservations though. Either way, I AM going to Disney (of some sort) in October, and that has helped me feel much more optimistic and happy this week!

My husband and I have to cancel our November trip to Japan for obvious reasons, so we are going to do WDW instead. We are from AZ and have never been before so I have been poring over the WDW boards trying to figure things out. Everyone has been very helpful!

Have a wonderful time!

My trip is still on! I’m flying out from Phoenix Thursday the 22nd, doing HS Friday, MK Saturday, and AK Sunday, then flying back Monday. I have reservations at the Brown Derby, Be Our Guest, and Beaches and Cream. I’m nervous about some of the wait times I’ve seen the last few weekends, but we’re just going to plan, get there early, and make the best of just being there! I say “we” because my FIL’s fiancé decided to come with me. She’s a school teacher who could really use a Disney break, and she’s a fun, positive person. It will be a good trip!

My trip is still on! I’m flying out from Phoenix Thursday the 22nd, doing HS Friday, MK Saturday, and AK Sunday, then flying back Monday. I have reservations at the Brown Derby, Be Our Guest, and Beaches and Cream. I’m nervous about some of the wait times I’ve seen the last few weekends, but we’re just going to plan, get there early, and make the best of just being there! I say “we” because my FIL’s fiancé decided to come with me. She’s a school teacher who could really use a Disney break, and she’s a fun, positive person. It will be a good trip!
You’re going to have a blast!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!