Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

What happens to the tax and early bird if you booked on points but have to cancel.
As long as you have not made any changes to your reservation since booking, there will be a drop-down box giving you the option of taxes/fee refunded to original form of payment or to keep as a credit to be used within one year of booking (travel completed within one year).

However, according to Southwest:

All EarlyBird Check-In purchases are nonrefundable. Customers who cancel their flight will forfeit the previously purchased EarlyBird Check-In option for that particular flight. In the event that a flight is cancelled by Southwest, the EarlyBird Check-In purchased for the cancelled flight will be refunded

As long as you have not made any changes to your reservation since booking, there will be a drop-down box giving you the option of taxes/fee refunded to original form of payment or to keep as a credit to be used within one year of booking (travel completed within one year).

However, according to Southwest:

Oh my. Sorry for providing wrong information. Thanks for clarifying for the OP.

Unpleasant/unfair experience on Southwest flight the other day....I purchased the Early Bird and also got boarding pass A25 so Felt confident I would get a seat close to front of plane. However when I boarded plane there were numerous family members boarding with wheel chairs (even though I heard announcement that only one family member could board with a wheel chair) then when I actually boarded there were 2 people who had placed hats and a few bags on the seats in the rows in front, in back and across from them basically saving 15 seats!!! This is crazy and when the passenger boarding in front of me complained the people just ignored her. She called out to the airline attendendant and they simply replied asking her to please select her seat so boarding could be completed!!!!

I don't see why the airline does not address these situations why is it ok for those of us who pay the Early Bird fee to be ignored while 2 people can pay the fee and save multiple seats for passengers not paying the Early Bird fee!

Unpleasant/unfair experience on Southwest flight the other day....I purchased the Early Bird and also got boarding pass A25 so Felt confident I would get a seat close to front of plane. However when I boarded plane there were numerous family members boarding with wheel chairs (even though I heard announcement that only one family member could board with a wheel chair) then when I actually boarded there were 2 people who had placed hats and a few bags on the seats in the rows in front, in back and across from them basically saving 15 seats!!! This is crazy and when the passenger boarding in front of me complained the people just ignored her. She called out to the airline attendendant and they simply replied asking her to please select her seat so boarding could be completed!!!!

I don't see why the airline does not address these situations why is it ok for those of us who pay the Early Bird fee to be ignored while 2 people can pay the fee and save multiple seats for passengers not paying the Early Bird fee!
I can understand your frustration as what they did was really unfair! You paid for Early Bird. If they wanted their family close every single one of them should have paid for EBCI too.

I've only bought EBCI once from a flight out of Baltimore. The flight was cancelled due to a 1/4" of snow. All SW flights were cancelled despite it clearing up with blue skies. Was told it was because Baltimore did not have adequate deicing for the number of planes. We rescheduled a flight out of Dulles the next morning. SW would not transfer ECBI to the new reservation. Was told we would have to purchase separately for the new flight and call SW to request a refund. We purchased ECBI again. Tried calling SW for a refund. Was told it would be a flight credit on our account, they could not do a cash refund. Have tried calling numerous times, but it has never showed up on our accounts. Never bothered with ECBI again, always check in at 24 hours and have not had any trouble getting seats together.

The "seat saving" issue is nothing new with Southwest. There is no written policy about seat saving, so flight attendants will not get in the middle. Customers have been known to just sit in a seat being "saved" for someone else and move the item set on a seat. I suppose it all depends on how much you want a particular seat, and if you want a confrontation with another customer.

With 143 or 175 seats on the aircraft and A25 boarding number, you still should have had selection of a very good seat, if not your first choice. It can be very difficult to guaranty an open bulkhead seat or seat in the first few rows; even those who buy Business Select tickets, have an A1 position, and easily pay 4x the cost of WGA fares, are not guaranteed a particular seat on Southwest. Southwest always states that EBCI does not guaranty a particular boarding group, position, or seat location. It just assures that you will automatically be checked in at T-36. There is another scenario where the flight originates in another city, and those boarding find many seats occupied by thru passengers.

There are those who do not like Southwest's open seating policy, so they fly other carriers. Then, again, there are others who either don't mind it or like the policy. It's all a matter of preference and personal choice.

I'm so disturbed by SW prices to FL for Thanksgiving this year. I have been stalking the site since it was released and prices have been $700- $800 RT from al three of the WAS area airports - FLL. I can't believe prices are nearly 4x the price they were when we took this trip in 2016. Is there any hope of WGA fares will become available again or dropping to anywhere near $250?? Or should we just look at other carriers?
FWIW even Spirit has been $600+

This is insane.

I'll be flying with 2 adults and 2 children (each 9 yr) in Jan. Can I pay for early bird on the adult tickets and they'll let the children on? I'm guessing the answer is no but thought I would check if this is "legal".

I hate spending the extra money on early boarding. We don't care if we're split up but each of my girls want a window seat.

I'll be flying with 2 adults and 2 children (each 9 yr) in Jan. Can I pay for early bird on the adult tickets and they'll let the children on? I'm guessing the answer is no but thought I would check if this is "legal".

I hate spending the extra money on early boarding. We don't care if we're split up but each of my girls want a window seat.
Unfortunately, no. Kids six years old and younger can board between A and B boarding groups along with one adult, each, with Family Boarding; however, kids older than six must follow the normal boarding guidelines.

Last edited:

No they can not board with you.

So I waited too long to book flights for August (still not sure if we are going, hence the waited too long) and flights keep rising. Any chance they may come down as it gets closer? We have flights going down on 8/13 but need return flights on 8/18 or 8/19. I was hoping to get a late flight on 8/18 since we are there for a short time but that is at $249 today. I would stay an extra day but Sunday flights aren't any better. Any experienced opinions? Should I just book now and cross my fingers that they come down and I get a credit. I'm flying out of Providence, RI. There are 3 of us.

TIA

So I waited too long to book flights for August (still not sure if we are going, hence the waited too long) and flights keep rising. Any chance they may come down as it gets closer? We have flights going down on 8/13 but need return flights on 8/18 or 8/19. I was hoping to get a late flight on 8/18 since we are there for a short time but that is at $249 today. I would stay an extra day but Sunday flights aren't any better. Any experienced opinions? Should I just book now and cross my fingers that they come down and I get a credit. I'm flying out of Providence, RI. There are 3 of us.

TIA
If you won't have a problem using a credit within one year, I'd advise booking now, then checking daily for any fare reductions. Your travel dates are during a very popular time, as families want to get a trip in, before school starts for the fall term. Also, you are flying out of a smaller market, so there are not as many flights. Have you thought about a different departure airport?

You may want to check for one seat at a time, if you have not been doing so, as Southwest will quote the lowest available fare for all in your party. So, if you check for three seats, they may have one or two at a lower fare, but not three, therefore pricing all three at the same higher fare.

To get a rough idea about available seats on the flights you are checking. search for 8 seats and see what shows.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter