***Post your questions and experiences with Coronavirus-related canceling/rescheduling of resort reservations here***

I'm curious if anyone has had an issue when rebooking their trips to a later date (for instance March or April rebooking for June, July or August). For instance, our trip is 7/3 - 7/8 and there was not much available then . While I am holding steady and not cancelling our trip (my birthday is 7/4 and this was my birthday trip!), have there been others who have cancelled and freed up space in the summer months (as many vacation at that time) to rebook your vacations?

My concern exactly. Goes double for DVC points reservations which don't work equally well any time of year. If I have to move my plans for May, the only time that will work is September, which is typically sold out far ahead in DVC points terms. I don't want to go in the summer, when it is too hot and my points will get me 30-50% fewer nights of stay. And I would lose points banked from prior year unless there is a dispensation. This means getting through on the phone too. I bet that will be loads of fun. When I finally get through I will have to take whatever is available ... there goes my lovely parks view at BLT. sad.

I posted this question in another thread, but I'll try it here too...

We have a "resorts only" trip booked for late July. What are the chances there could a situation where the parks are closed but the resorts are open? I'm pessimistic about that, but just asking anyway.

I finally caved yesterday and rebooked our April 10 trip to Thanksgiving week. I was afraid if we waited much longer, there’d be no rooms. Already, our room category was unavailable. Just did a different view, no big deal, but glad we didn’t wait.

Yep. On Saturday our Midway/Orlando flights were $37.00 each way. At this point, we've got tickets for $75.00 each, round trip, for May. The good news is we already have a December trip planned so just waiting until April 23 or thereabouts for the release of December flights. Likely the May trip won't happen so we'll have the May credits to put toward December.

I'm not liking the last news though...that this COVID-19 is likely to rear its ugly head again in the fall/winter:(

Midway is where we fly out of as well. Since our end of April trip probably won't go, we'll just use our credits toward December flights if we aren't able to reschedule for sometime this summer.

I heard that about fall/winter too :(.

I agree with you...my confidence level isn't real high for an early/mid May trip. Unheard of $75.00 round trip Midway to Orlando on SW!

I am also hoping for a mid-May trip and also had the opportunity to fly roundtrip from Providence for only 90 dollars. I am fully prepared to have to cancel this trip because everything will still be closed. Debating a trip for early December, but had a great rate for the resort as well, so most likely would not be able to afford December holiday time. Best of luck to everyone with upcoming trips - stay safe and healthy.

I posted this question in another thread, but I'll try it here too...

We have a "resorts only" trip booked for late July. What are the chances there could a situation where the parks are closed but the resorts are open? I'm pessimistic about that, but just asking anyway.

I don't think anyone has a definitive answer, but given what just happened with parks shutting down and the resorts shutting down soon after, I wouldn't count on it.

I should have posted here back when Disney first announced the closure. I had my bags packed and by our front door our trip was planned for 3/14- 3/21. I was absolutely heartbroken to say the least. We rented points from a nurse friend of mine and she was able to cancel them and we got our money refunded. That is not the case for everyone who rented points. I feel fortunate that we are getting these funds back. After multiple times trying to get through to not only the airlines but to Disney as well, we have replanned our trip for November. I feel I am one of the lucky ones in all this as I know many others have not been so fortunate. We had so many special things planned for our vacation- we were supposed to do a special baby announcement thru capture your moment- for my daughter and SIL, their first child, our 1st grandchild, and so many other things. But I have to believe things happen for a reason, and this trip in November we will have that special child with us. We are all patiently waiting to see what Disney does and when they will re-open but I also hope they are not in rush and give this time to play out and allow the pandemic to fizzle its way out. I hope this is sooner rather than later. Just my thoughts.

So......made a management decision this morning. Cancelled the May 6-13 trip. With the way the COVID numbers have been climbing it just doesn't seem realistic that the parks will be open. If they do open May 1, the crush of people just doesn't seem safe for us of an older generation. It was hard to cancel the Polar patios at Blizzard Beach..hard to cancel the bowling reservation, hard to cancel the golf reservation and no fun to cancel the fun FP I was able to get. However.....I do feel a sense of relief that I no longer have to wonder what will happen. We already have a reservation in December and that's what we'll look forward to. Stay healthy everyone!

So......made a management decision this morning. Cancelled the May 6-13 trip. With the way the COVID numbers have been climbing it just doesn't seem realistic that the parks will be open. If they do open May 1, the crush of people just doesn't seem safe for us of an older generation. It was hard to cancel the Polar patios at Blizzard Beach..hard to cancel the bowling reservation, hard to cancel the golf reservation and no fun to cancel the fun FP I was able to get. However.....I do feel a sense of relief that I no longer have to wonder what will happen. We already have a reservation in December and that's what we'll look forward to. Stay healthy everyone!

I think you made a very wise decision, although I am sure not an easy one! Trust me I know. I can't even imagine how much more the phone lines to Disney will be once they announce an extension to the closure. It was so incredibly hard for me trying to get through to the airlines as well as to Disney when our trip was abruptly cancelled. You did the right thing!

When cancelling and getting a refund if you used multiple payment methods is it returned exactly the same? I had a $200 deposit on debit card, $4000 something on a credit card, $50 Visa gift card and $100 Disney gift card.

When cancelling and getting a refund if you used multiple payment methods is it returned exactly the same? I had a $200 deposit on debit card, $4000 something on a credit card, $50 Visa gift card and $100 Disney gift card.
Refunds go to the exact form of payment used - so your debit account will get back $200, $4,000 on your credit card, and $50 and $100 respectively to the gift cards.

I should have posted here back when Disney first announced the closure. I had my bags packed and by our front door our trip was planned for 3/14- 3/21. I was absolutely heartbroken to say the least. We rented points from a nurse friend of mine and she was able to cancel them and we got our money refunded. That is not the case for everyone who rented points. I feel fortunate that we are getting these funds back. After multiple times trying to get through to not only the airlines but to Disney as well, we have replanned our trip for November. I feel I am one of the lucky ones in all this as I know many others have not been so fortunate. We had so many special things planned for our vacation- we were supposed to do a special baby announcement thru capture your moment- for my daughter and SIL, their first child, our 1st grandchild, and so many other things. But I have to believe things happen for a reason, and this trip in November we will have that special child with us. We are all patiently waiting to see what Disney does and when they will re-open but I also hope they are not in rush and give this time to play out and allow the pandemic to fizzle its way out. I hope this is sooner rather than later. Just my thoughts.

I'm sorry you had to cancel your trip, but glad your friend was able to cancel the points and refund your money. Congratulations to your daughter and SIL! I hope your November trip goes as planned and you have a great trip with your grandchild :wizard:.

I agree with it being hard to cancel. I just cancelled our 4/30-5/3 flights this morning. I hadn't made resort reservations yet as those dates were rescheduled from earlier this month, but still hard to cancel those flights. Like you, we also have a December trip booked, so right now that's what we're looking forward to as well :).

I'm now in the position of debating my 7/18-23 trip - another birthday trip over my birthday. I would also get to see friends during the trip. I already have plans for Summer 2021 and for my Winter Break 2021 (and I refuse to go over Christmas or Easter), so there's really no time I could move it to, and I hate to take money away from my Travel Agent.

The one thing I'm considering is cancelling the Disney trip and booking a Celebrity cruise from NY to Bermuda - which is still on the table for now. If I did that and the cruise was cancelled, I'd get a future cruise credit to put towards another cruise or to apply to already booked cruises, so I'd have definite options there to keep money in her pocket. The flights for July are on JetBlue, and I could use that credit towards flights for my Feb 2021 cruise flights.

I don't know when I should pull that trigger though. I was thinking I'd run my thoughts by her later in the week after she gets through this most recent round of cancellations/reschedules from Universal's 4/19 date and Disney's TBA date. I hate knowing I'm giving up time with friends if Disney is open though.

Such a hard decision.

Sounds like WDW is planning on being open in June...I just saw a message that said WDW is offering guests who had to cancel March through May a special promo package with dining for use June 1 through Sept 30th book by May 31st (eeven if the park opens before then).

Trying to book a trip early in 2021 as a backup plan if September falls through. How do I book online? It is only letting me book up until December 31, 2020. Do I have to call to book 2021? Thanks.

KTP has announced a Free Dining offer for guests impacted by closures March 16th - May 31st:
https://www.kennythepirate.com/2020/03/28/special-free-dining-offer-for-guests-affected-by-closure/
The offer is valid for most nights June 1 through September 30. You must book by May 31.
If you canceled before March 1, you are not eligible for this offer.

Free QS for moderates and values. Free regular DDP for deluxe resorts.
  • Cannot be combined with any other discount or promotion.
  • Advance reservation required.
  • Length of stay is 2 nights -14 nights
  • Ticket requirements: 2-day minimum; all ticket types included (i.e., Base, Park Hopper, Water Park & Sports, Park Hopper Plus
  • Offer excludes the following room types: campsites
  • Children ages 3 to 9 must choose from the children’s menu, if available.
  • Gratuities are not included.
  • Theme park admission is required for some dining locations
  • This offer is subject to availability. Everyone in the same room must be on the same package. Theme park tickets valid for admission beginning on date of check-in and must be used within a limited number of days, depending on length of stay and ticket.
Call Disney reservations to check availability for this offer.

Last edited:
Trying to book a trip early in 2021 as a backup plan if September falls through. How do I book online? It is only letting me book up until December 31, 2020. Do I have to call to book 2021? Thanks.
Package booking usually comes out in July. I am pretty sure you can call and book room-only, but then you would need to cancel that later and get the deposit refunded to book it as a package.

People are starting to spread the rumor that if you change your plans now, and you were booked through March 30th, they’re giving you free dining if you change instead of cancel. Is this true, or just trolls?
I posted the details on the post right above yours.

I moved my 3/27 to a 6/23 stay the day after the closure was announced. I got the fun and sun discount added and my room at POFQ upgraded. I also added another ticket. Any idea of whether I will be able to get the free dining offer? I read that an email would be sent to those eligible, but I haven’t received one yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!