***Post your questions and experiences with Coronavirus-related canceling/rescheduling of resort reservations here***

I am probably in the luckiest of the unlucky category. We were booked for the Contemporary 3/21-3/28, my son's first trip (and 11th birthday celebration) and my first trip in 20 years (former CP cast member who can't wait to get back). We cried it out on Thursday night but knew in the last week that it was a distinct possibility so we were somewhat mentally prepared. Anyway, I am loving this second chance at planning my family's first Disney World trip!

Because my travel agent had five other clients in that window, I got on the phone with Disney Friday afternoon to book a December 2020 trip. After about 45 minutes (of actual talk time, was probably on hold for only 10), I had a new (longer!) split-stay reservation for Dec 2020. I was initially looking at Feb or March 2021, but there was literally ZERO Contemporary Main Tower availability those entire two months. The Contemporary, Main Tower is my monorail-enamored son's only request so I was trying to honor that. We ended up with most days at the Beach Club and then finishing with a bang with 3 nights in a Main Tower theme park view room and that seems to be making everyone happy.

My travel agent will cancel the original one or it will get refunded automatically, since we are squarely in the closed window, I don't need to worry about that. And I can transfer the new reservations to her (even though the Disney agent told me I couldn't, I knew otherwise). I threw out the whole working-around-the-school-schedule thing. As this whole pandemic has reminded us, you only live once people!

All the best to everyone else in this predicament, you are not alone! Stay healthy and have fun re-planning, it is part of the fun!
This is such a great resolution to a not-so-great situation. We visited WDW last December, and there really is nothing like the Christmas decorations. Make sure to take advantage of all that WDW has to offer around the holidays!

We finally got thru to hotwire. I kept getting the temporary difficulty message, but after 3 times being hung up on and them trying to charge me $60 to cancel my hot rate reservation I finally got a full refund I told them I would not pay the fee knowing Disney was allowing cancellations. We had booked disney art of animation thru hotwire hot rate.

I was able to get through to Guest Services this am. They were able to cancel my DDP and also changed my park passes from a 8 day hopper to a 2 day hopper. We are still planning on checking in today, and doing MK tonight and will hop around tomorrow. Refund of over $3,300.

Called WDW this morning and moved my April 9 - 13th trip to May 22 - 27th. Added an extra night to our stay and it only cost us another $17. We are also on the DDP.

Now moving these dining reservations (California Grill, Ogas, Topolino's Terrace breakfast) is another hurdle. Availability is very limited.

We finally got thru to hotwire. I kept getting the temporary difficulty message, but after 3 times being hung up on and them trying to charge me $60 to cancel my hot rate reservation I finally got a full refund I told them I would not pay the fee knowing Disney was allowing cancellations. We had booked disney art of animation thru hotwire hot rate.

We got AoA as well...tried after reading your post and FINALLY got a person. Sitting on hold right now while the confirm that Disney will allow the cancellation.

If you booked a hotwire "hotdeal" tell them to call the Disney wholesale number to confirm they will allow them to cancel-407-939-7671, not the regular reservation number. Spent about 45 minutes on hold to have them tell me they couldn't refund it because they couldn't get hold of anyone at Disney. When I asked what number she called, it was the main reservation. She was very gracious in calling the other number and we had a full refund within 5 minutes. I will say she worked very hard and was very patient and getting us this refund. As frustrated as I was with all of this, treating these CSR with kindness is the way to go. They are just trying to do their job and are completely overwhelmed.

The travel ban has been extended to the UK and Ireland, FYI. If you are not a US citizen you have until midnight EST Monday night to get home from the US.

I am sympathetic to the position Disney is in, but also disappointed. We have a stay that is/was scheduled to start tomorrow (the 14th) through next weekend. I don't see the option to cancel or reschedule online or through the app. The policy online still states they will refund for stays starting the 16th, so I'm unsure if they will automatically refund our nights for the 14th and 15th. I'd like to think Disney will, but am unsure.

After multiple attempts where all circuits were busy, we spent 45 minutes on hold yesterday and once Disney answered, the call disconnected. I blamed my phone service at the time, but now think it was on the Disney system (read on to find out why).

After multiple more attempts, we got through after waiting on hold about 2 hours. We actually had a very friendly CM trying to help us reschedule for the fall. Then she stated before the virus issues, their system was already going through some "magical enhancements" and her system was locking up. She was unable to complete our changes and said she'd need another department to help, but unfortunately, that would result in starting over in another hold line. I asked if she could place a note in our file, which she said she couldn't because her system was down, but that the call was recorded so their would be record of us trying to change before arrival. She went ahead and transferred us and after many more minutes on hold, their system disconnected us.

Today we have tried multiple times again and once finally getting past the "all circuits busy" issues, we have been dropped 3 more times, once after they answered again. I can't even count the hours of hold time thus far. We have tried different phones and been in different locations, so the calls dropping I'm convinced on not our side.

I don't see any emails, etc. to reach out to them. The online chat did answer, but said they are unable to make reservation changes through that system. I have messaged them on Twitter with no response as well.

I don’t work for Disney the disconnection of calls is honesty beyond their control as someone who works in travel insurance I can tell you our lines were overloaded and dropped calls because of this

I was initially looking at Feb or March 2021, but there was literally ZERO Contemporary Main Tower availability those entire two months.
We’re you trying to book a package? 2021 is not yet available for packages. You should have been able to book a room-only for those months. I know you are settled on Dec, but you could change that at some point (I wouldn’t try for a bit, though).

Enjoy your vacation!

Need some help. Trip is planned 4/25-5/2. I want to go so badly, but realistically thinking this closure has more of a chance of being extended than it does being lifted. We are a family that goes not a lot. In fact this was going to be a last hoorah for Disney for a while. We’ve saved so hard and it was going to be a trip of a lifetime.
Initial thought is to cancel and go next year. I really don’t think I can wait another year. We pushed back last years trip for this...
Tell me about October. Our SWA tickets expire the end of October and I’d like to not be out that money. Are the pools open? How is the weather? I just don’t know what to do and my circle just doesn’t understand what goes into planning these vacations. I don’t think it’s easy to say...let’s move back a month. You miss on the ADR and FP windows :(

Need some help. Trip is planned 4/25-5/2. I want to go so badly, but realistically thinking this closure has more of a chance of being extended than it does being lifted. We are a family that goes not a lot. In fact this was going to be a last hoorah for Disney for a while. We’ve saved so hard and it was going to be a trip of a lifetime.
Initial thought is to cancel and go next year. I really don’t think I can wait another year. We pushed back last years trip for this...
Tell me about October. Our SWA tickets expire the end of October and I’d like to not be out that money. Are the pools open? How is the weather? I just don’t know what to do and my circle just doesn’t understand what goes into planning these vacations. I don’t think it’s easy to say...let’s move back a month. You miss on the ADR and FP windows :(

We used to go in October every year and it's beautiful! It's warm but not usually as hot and disgustingly humid as summer. Although I do recall a couple years where it got really hot even in mid-October. I was at a work training two years ago in Orlando from September 18-October 10th and it got HOT, we'd go lay at the pool in between classes and wearing long pants was torture. Pools are absolutely open, I don't believe they ever really close. We stayed at the Dolphin one December and the pool was as crowded as ever and it was warm. It can get a bit chilly at night, we'd run into problems where the days were warm and we'd wear shorts and tanks and then at night we were wanting pants or hoodies as well so we'd have to carry those around in a backpack during the day. It's really not cold at night, but when you're out in the sun all day and then it goes down and the temp dips and you're in hot weather clothes, it can feel a bit cold. Crowds are still pretty heavy in my experience, schools have fall breaks in the middle of the month and Food and Wine brings locals in to Epcot, however some days it's definitely lighter for sure. October is great because you do hit Food and Wine at Epcot. It's definitely more crowded at the park because of that, especially on weekends, but it's my favorite time to go there. The only downsides to October are the halloween party and hurricane season. When the halloween party is on MK closes earlier (around 4 or 5 pm I think) and if you don't have tickets to it you have to get out. Personally we don't love the party and it's a bit annoying having to plan our schedule around the days MK closes early, but we make do. There are usually a couple days every week when there's no party and MK stays open normal hours so you just want to plan to go there on those days if you want to stay all day and see normal fireworks and such. As far as hurricanes, it's really random whether they're an issue or not, and we've only ever had one issue in 2016 with Matthew. Even then we didn't cancel our trip, they closed the parks for one day and then it was business as usual. But do be aware that it is the season and it *could* happen. Typically hurricanes don't hit Orlando badly, but they do snarl flights. I wouldn't be too concerned about this honestly but it's something I wanted to bring up based on our experience with Matthew, as my mom and brother had a really difficult time getting flights to come down after they were all cancelled the day it hit. Overall I think October is a great time to go, it's actually our preferred time to go for great weather, the chance at lighter crowds some of the days, and Food and Wine fest.

You probably have to PURCHASE using your SWA voucher by October, but you could buy for a future flight.

An unused ticket can be reassigned in MDE. A partially used ticket cannot be transferred. “Used” is defined as entering a park.

MDE does not allow the ticket to be reassigned either. These are military specific tickets and names of the intended must be given at time of purchase with eligibility verified.

Hence my confusion.

Thank you for trying to help though :)

You probably have to PURCHASE using your SWA voucher by October, but you could buy for a future flight.
No, funds have to be used within the year of purchase, not original flight. The funds will expire the following year on the date of purchase. Hoping Southwest allows some wiggle room as things get predictably worse.

No, funds have to be used within the year of purchase, not original flight. The funds will expire the following year on the date of purchase. Hoping Southwest allows some wiggle room as things get predictably worse.
This confuses me. So lets say funds expire Oct 1st, so I book online on Sept 25th for a flight Oct 13th. They’ll cancel my ticket and make me pay using a credit card/other method of payment? That doesnt make sense.

I am sympathetic to the position Disney is in, but also disappointed. We have a stay that is/was scheduled to start tomorrow (the 14th) through next weekend. I don't see the option to cancel or reschedule online or through the app. The policy online still states they will refund for stays starting the 16th, so I'm unsure if they will automatically refund our nights for the 14th and 15th. I'd like to think Disney will, but am unsure.

After multiple attempts where all circuits were busy, we spent 45 minutes on hold yesterday and once Disney answered, the call disconnected. I blamed my phone service at the time, but now think it was on the Disney system (read on to find out why).

After multiple more attempts, we got through after waiting on hold about 2 hours. We actually had a very friendly CM trying to help us reschedule for the fall. Then she stated before the virus issues, their system was already going through some "magical enhancements" and her system was locking up. She was unable to complete our changes and said she'd need another department to help, but unfortunately, that would result in starting over in another hold line. I asked if she could place a note in our file, which she said she couldn't because her system was down, but that the call was recorded so their would be record of us trying to change before arrival. She went ahead and transferred us and after many more minutes on hold, their system disconnected us.

Today we have tried multiple times again and once finally getting past the "all circuits busy" issues, we have been dropped 3 more times, once after they answered again. I can't even count the hours of hold time thus far. We have tried different phones and been in different locations, so the calls dropping I'm convinced on not our side.

I don't see any emails, etc. to reach out to them. The online chat did answer, but said they are unable to make reservation changes through that system. I have messaged them on Twitter with no response as well.

I went through a very similar situation, the first day I called on hold for over an hour and a half, got transferred, waited some more, and then was disconnected when they answered. Our trip was scheduled to start today and I thought after reading the updated memo, we would be covered and not need to call to cancel. So I was content after that update.That was until we were automatically checked in because we had done the online check in process months ago and the update says that you will be canceled if you don't check in. That resulted in another almost 2 hour call to Disney today, where like the first time, reservations could not cancel our reservation and transferred us to Guest Services. I asked for the direct number for GS, in case I was dropped again and they said they could not give it out. I was transferred to GS, where I was told that they had to directly called Riviera to cancel because I was checked in (mind you, I had tried to do that the other day, but could never find a direct number). So, a while later, Riviera called me and asked if I was canceling my dining reservations that someone had stopped by the desk to cancel (??????). I explained that they were supposed to cancel my reservation and that I had canceled my dining and fast passes on Thursday. She said she could see that everything was canceled (again, why did she call lol). At this point, who knows. I just know that if I do not have a refund after 14 business days, I am contacting my credit card company. I already spent over 4 hours on the phone trying to work this out and the email I sent, they responded that their volume was too high to respond to emails and their chat system cannot help (I get that they are overwhelmed and am understanding to a point (i.e 14 more business days), but I have over 4 grand that needs to be refunded through resort, tickets, and special events, all separate from each other, and every single agent I get seems confused and not fully able to help and they give contradicting info from one another).

I won't lie, I am a little nervous to go through this alllll over again in a couple of months. I won't online check in until last minute that I can, to avoid this type of hot mess again.

This confuses me. So lets say funds expire Oct 1st, so I book online on Sept 25th for a flight Oct 13th. They’ll cancel my ticket and make me pay using a credit card/other method of payment? That doesnt make sense.
They won't cancel your flight because that flight won't be able to be booked with your voucher to begin with. Vouchers are good for travel taking place within one year of the original booking date. In other words, the dates that matter are the date when the original trip was purchased/booked and the date that the second/new trip is taking place. These two dates need to be one year or less apart from each other.

This is the normal cancellation policy for Southwest. I can't say whether or not this policy will be relaxed in the current situation. So far this policy remains intact.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!