***Post your questions and experiences with Coronavirus-related canceling/rescheduling of resort reservations here***

I also rented through DVC rental store and got PPP. But I’m in the $8.00/point window which means I would lose $1,800!
IF the owner could rent some or all of their points to someone else I MAY get some of that back.
My other choice is to reschedule with the owner’s points.
I’m looking at dates in July.
It would be a shorter trip (5 nights instead of 9) so I may upgrade to one bedroom so I could use almost all the 225 I rented without going over.
There are a few options available.

I also rented through DVC rental store and got PPP. But I’m in the $8.00/point window which means I would lose $1,800!
IF the owner could rent some or all of their points to someone else I MAY get some of that back.
My other choice is to reschedule with the owner’s points.
I’m looking at dates in July.
It would be a shorter trip (5 nights instead of 9) so I may upgrade to one bedroom so I could use almost all the 225 I rented without going over.
There are a few options available.
Oh I am sorry to hear this! I hope it works out for you as that is a big loss. I’m happy to hear there are some options to be had, in the end I think that is all I’m looking to do. Best of luck, I hope it works out.

I rented DVC points to stay at Disney Hilton Head resort end of March. They closed their doors and I contacted the rental company to see my options. They basically said I’m out of luck which I don’t understand as the owner is getting the points back. They said they can’t do anything unless the owner is willing to do something and they can’t get them to respond. This is an eye opener I will never rent points again but sadly it’s pretty much the only way to get a spot bay Hilton head resort.

In an effort to corral the ever-growing number of Coronavirus threads, I'm starting a new thread to try to collect all of this information in one place.

Disney has announced that all theme parks at Walt Disney World are closed starting March 16, and will remain closed until the end of March. Disney Springs will remain open. There is a FAQ on Disney's site with further information:
Update on Disney World Resort Operations

A brief summary:

If you have a resort reservation between 3/16 and 3/31, you will be able to modify or cancel your reservation up to your reservation's check-in date. If you do not cancel by your check-in date and do not check-in (no-show), Disney will automatically cancel your reservation and refund any payments you have made.

(ETA: I clarified this after a poster got further information from Disney. The resorts will remain open through the park closure period. You can keep your existing reservations, and you can make reservations during the period 3/16 - 3/31.)

If you wish to cancel a reservation that begins after March 31 and is before June 30, you may do so without penalty.

See Disney's link for information on park tickets, annual passes, dining and fastpasses.

A few ground rules for this thread:

1) Please keep it on topic. This thread is for discussion of your questions and experiences with canceling your reservation at Disney-owned hotels and the Swan/Dolphin hotels at Walt Disney World. Let's not veer off into discussion of what's happening in your neighborhood, your concerns with the government's response, or complaints that Disney shouldn't have closed the parks. If you do want to discuss other Coronavirus-related subjects, see the list below for the appropriate boards for those subjects.

2) Let's be kind to each other. Emotions are running high. NOBODY is happy about canceling a vacation, and we're all stressed out worrying about ourselves and our loved ones. If you're tempted to criticize or attack another poster, step away from the keyboard.

Here's a list of boards to post questions or comments that aren't related to the Disney Resorts at Walt Disney World...

Reservations made with Disney Vacation Club points: DVC Member Services
Other hotels, timeshares, home rentals and attractions in Central Florida: Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Disney Cruise Line: Disney Cruise Line Forum
Universal Orlando: Universal Orlando Resorts and Hotels
Disneyland: Disneyland (California)
General discussion of the Coronavirus and the response: Community Board

As always, thank you for your contributions. Your fellow Disney visitors will appreciate hearing about your experiences when canceling and rescheduling.
Thanks for starting this discussion. So much confusing information out there.

I rented DVC points to stay at Disney Hilton Head resort end of March. They closed their doors and I contacted the rental company to see my options. They basically said I’m out of luck which I don’t understand as the owner is getting the points back. They said they can’t do anything unless the owner is willing to do something and they can’t get them to respond. This is an eye opener I will never rent points again but sadly it’s pretty much the only way to get a spot bay Hilton head resort.
I would have to agree with you that this is a huge eye opener. There should be some effort of good faith when the members are getting their points back. I noticed David’s Rentals site had a nice message regarding acting in good conscience for what it’s worth.

I would have to agree with you that this is a huge eye opener. There should be some effort of good faith when the members are getting their points back. I noticed David’s Rentals site had a nice message regarding acting in good conscience for what it’s worth.

I rented one night from David's for an April night. If that cannot happen due to WDW extending their closure will they get in touch with me or will I have to reach out to them?

I personally think that any DVC rental company that will not work with renters who cannot use their rental because of a closure should be put out of business by consumer choice.

DVC is returning points to owners, but that doesn’t mean the returned points are actually usable. You have some points that expire March 31st and DVC can’t extend their use.

We have members who will be losing points from canceled trips because they can’t reschedule before those points expire.

I am sorry that the owner hasn’t reached out to the broker, but it is possible they know there is nothing they can do,

I do agree with you that this situation has really been an eye opener for rentals and that the savings may in fact not be worth the risk.

This is an unprecedented time. Disney should obviously allow these members to use these points for another year if they closed their doors. The fact that the rental company are working with unprincipled DVC owners who don’t even want to respond during such a terrible time makes we want to never have anything to do with these people again. I was also told that these points were most likely good for another 11 months. Not worth the risk and not worth the savings. I just don’t know in the future how I would ever get a room at this place.

The fact that the rental company are working with unprincipled DVC owners who don’t even want to respond
You don't know that the point owners are unprincipled/unwilling to respond. You don't know what's going on in their lives at the moment.
makes we want to never have anything to do with these people again.
Okay? :confused3
I was also told that these points were most likely good for another 11 months.
By whom? As has been posted multiple places, points expire. The owner getting them back is useless if points expire, say, 3/31/20.

We were scheduled to stay at the Beach Club from 3/11-3/21. We started our trip but, with all the covid-19 cancellations, ended up heading home on 3/17. When the park closure was first announced, we were reassured at the front desk that we would be reimbursed for any nights we didn't end up using. But when we checked out, we were told by the hotel concierge that, because our trip was a package, they couldn't process a refund for our unused hotel days at the front desk and we should call disney directly once we got home. Now that I'm home, I called Disney only to find out that the hotel never updated their system to reflect that we checked out and no one seems able to provide any advice on how to get that changed! I was told to just call the billing department to try and work everything out. When I call billing, however, I get an automated message that their offices are closed indefinitely due to covid-19 and to email them instead, but expect it to take a really long time for anyone to get back to me due to their increased workload. Anyone else in the same boat? Would love to know if there's a better number or department to try and get in touch with...

This is an unprecedented time. Disney should obviously allow these members to use these points for another year if they closed their doors.

it's not that simple. If disney allows points to be used for another year then there are more points then there are available spaces to rent and then a year from now people are in the same position of having points expire because they couldn't book anything with them.

Do you have any documentation at all showing you checked out on 3/17? Try here first wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com
Be concise, maybe even bullet points instead of paragraphs. Include a scan of any paperwork.
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, due to how quickly everything was changing, the people at the front desk were pretty clueless as to how to handle things. This was not at all their fault - they just weren't being given any kind of accurate direction from the higher-ups. We were planning to check out at about 2am on the 17th so went to the concierge on the 16th to update them. They said they couldn't update anything in their system and, if they tried, we'd be immediately locked out of our room. We were told to stop by the desk right before we left the resort to let them know we had competely vacated the room. So we stopped at the concierge at 2am where the sole cast member had no idea how to handle check-outs, so she simply wrote our name and room number down on a pad of paper for a manager to handle in the morning. So, unfortunately, there's no paper work to prove we left when we say we did.

My husband did find a fax number for the Beach Club and we sent a fax yesterday requesting that they update our checkout date on our account but who knows if that was carried out or not. I'll keep trying alternate disney email addresses and hope someone gets back to me soon!

Well just moved my April 30 - May 4th trip to Nov 19 - 23rd & just cancelled all of our Fastpasses & dining (including hoop-dee-doo).

I'm hoping that I'll be able to call Disney and ask them to either 1. extend my AP or 2. give me park hoppers for those days ):

Well just moved my April 30 - May 4th trip to Nov 19 - 23rd & just cancelled all of our Fastpasses & dining (including hoop-dee-doo).

I'm hoping that I'll be able to call Disney and ask them to either 1. extend my AP or 2. give me park hoppers for those days ):
When does your AP expire? I can’t imagine WDW extending APs by 6 months because people are choosing to postpone their trip that long. They’re giving people as many days as the parks are closed which seems fair. Good luck though!

When does your AP expire? I can’t imagine WDW extending APs by 6 months because people are choosing to postpone their trip that long. They’re giving people as many days as the parks are closed which seems fair. Good luck though!
They’re gonna have to work with people on an individual basis. I booked my trip last Oct for the end of Mar before my AP expired. This isn’t Disney’s fault and it isn’t my fault. But I bought the AP because I would get this trip out of it. Now I’m looking at $500+ to replace the AP in ticket costs alone because I live across the country and will not be able to plan a last minute trip across the country at Disney’s whim to open. The extensions will work for most people, but some of us are SCREWED if Disney doesn’t address our individual circumstances. I’m hoping they do the right thing for each of us. For now they told me to just wait and see what happens so that’s what I’m doing.

Sorry if this was already asked but I couldn't find it.
We arrived at BCV on 3/12 and then found out the parks were closing so modified our departure to 3/17 from our originally planned departure of 3/20.
When we checked out, they assured us that the remaining 3 days would be refunded on our DDP and our points would be returned. Our points returned fine and we havent yet seen our refund for our DDP.
My question relates to park tickets. We originally booked 7 day PH with the Canadian ticket offer for our 2 kids and 9 day PH flexible tickets for my DH and I as we planned to return alone
in June. We have decided to take the kids back with us in June. The thing is, the kids tickets are not showing up in MDE. Anyone know if we will be able to book FP+ for the kids? How do I get this fixed?

They’re gonna have to work with people on an individual basis. I booked my trip last Oct for the end of Mar before my AP expired. This isn’t Disney’s fault and it isn’t my fault. But I bought the AP because I would get this trip out of it. Now I’m looking at $500+ to replace the AP in ticket costs alone because I live across the country and will not be able to plan a last minute trip across the country at Disney’s whim to open. The extensions will work for most people, but some of us are SCREWED if Disney doesn’t address our individual circumstances. I’m hoping they do the right thing for each of us. For now they told me to just wait and see what happens so that’s what I’m doing.

I may be in the same situation shortly. Would be grateful to hear your outcome.

Sorry if this was already asked but I couldn't find it.
We arrived at BCV on 3/12 and then found out the parks were closing so modified our departure to 3/17 from our originally planned departure of 3/20.
When we checked out, they assured us that the remaining 3 days would be refunded on our DDP and our points would be returned. Our points returned fine and we havent yet seen our refund for our DDP.
My question relates to park tickets. We originally booked 7 day PH with the Canadian ticket offer for our 2 kids and 9 day PH flexible tickets for my DH and I as we planned to return alone
in June. We have decided to take the kids back with us in June. The thing is, the kids tickets are not showing up in MDE. Anyone know if we will be able to book FP+ for the kids? How do I get this fixed?

If the kids had 7 day tickets, weren’t you there 7 days? I don’t know about those specific tickets but did they have a use within X amount of days? Or were they open ended?

If they were not open ended, then I am going to assume the reason they are gone is because they expired already. If that is the case, then you would have to buy new ones to book FPs.

@DisneyFleet My understanding is that any tickets dated during the closure will be extended to 12/15/2020, unused or partially used. I suspect the extended dates maybe haven't shown up for your kids' tickets. I have seen posters with unused tickets mention the date was extended, I haven't seen anyone post about partially-used tickets. So that may not have been reprogrammed into the MDE system yet. I'd give it a few days and then call. Also, check using a computer as well as the app, sometimes ticket dates seem to glitch in one or the other.

Enjoy your rescheduled vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!