POT (Proof of Time) Race Equivalency Cutoff Confirmed Times

10ks are not acceptable POTs for the marathon - anymore. When I ran the 2013 marathon, I did submit a 10k as a proof of time. However, the rules have changed since then.

I don't think they will go back to allowing 10k as a marathon POT. They want to know your pace at a longer distance to accurately place you in a corral.

Thanks, I thought it was just my old age but seemed to recall that a 10k was allowed at one time and that was why I was digging through the policies and raised the question. I never used that but thought it was an option. A lot has changed/evolved since my first Disney marathon in 2004

assuming we survive this... do you think they will be more flexible on providing POT since a lot of spring races got canceled and harder now to get a race in before the marathon weekend cutoff

assuming we survive this... do you think they will be more flexible on providing POT since a lot of spring races got canceled and harder now to get a race in before the marathon weekend cutoff
That was a big part of why I was asking, along with just having another discussion point on the running boards. It is a valid discussion point but too early to tell. The biggest impact yet to be determined is how long the parks, other races and daily life take to get close to normal.

As a follow up, I did shoot a less detailed email off to the rundisney link. At the time I received pretty much what I expected, a response that is mostly what is already printed in their information. It is more likely they are bogged down with current race cancellation and trying to look only far enough as to when operations can resume. (I’ll guess that Wine and Dine might be the first race to happen but even that is not a sure thing and could still have changes to registration, packet pickup and transportation at minimum). So if they are going to make any changes to POT, it is something they are not prepared for yet.

I think they should consider opening the qualifying window from ~2 years prior to race month to ~3 years prior. I think that would cover the issue specifically revolving around the lack of available races of any distance for POT. Looks like Wine and Dine has a POT deadline of August 4th, 2020. So we'll see.

I'm not sure they want to extend that deadline closer to Wine and Dine (like making it September 4th, 2020) because I imagine that makes their logistics even harder. I'm also not sure they'd want to change what races distances can be used for POT since the current race cancellations are system wide and not distance specific.

But these are all guesses because I have no prior runDisney precedence to base things off of.

My guess is they won’t extend the PoT window. They’re clearly not concerned about having an enormous first non-PoT corral, given the change from 2:45 to 2:30. If anything, they’ll be happy to have fewer times to verify.

Run Disney demonstrated through the creation of the Club and its priority corral placent that runner logistics are not their priority. It’s just an unfortunate fact. I love the events so I’ll continue to go for as long as they exist, even though “fairness” might not be part of the equation.

runDisney updated the marathon event PoT requirements. Looks like 5 hours for the marathon is official now.

From the runDisney site:
If you believe you will finish the Half Marathon in 2 hours and 30 minutes (2:30) or less or the Marathon in 5 hours (5:00) or less, proof of time is required for start corral placement. If you believe you will finish the Half Marathon in over 2:30 or the Marathon in over 5:00, proof of time is not required. Corral placement is based on your anticipated finish time and corral capacities. Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge and Dopey Challenge participants should adhere to Marathon proof of time requirements. Proof of time is not required for the 5K and 10K races. Please reference the Pacing Requirements below for finish times and associated pacing per mile for the Half Marathon or Marathon. Please note that if you submit a proof of time from an alternate race distance, an industry standard calculation will be applied to equate your finish time.
  • Proof of time must be provided from an officially timed race on a USATF certified course reflecting results between January 1, 2019 and October 6, 2020 and must be one of the below listed distances. Runners will be placed in the last corral if the appropriate race distance is not submitted for Proof of Time or if the data provided is incomplete or cannot be verified.
Full Marathon Proof of Time – Results for a 10 Mile, Half Marathon or Marathon
Half Marathon Proof of Time – Results for a 10K, 12K, 15K, 10 Mile, Half Marathon or Marathon.
Note: We cannot accept relays, trail runs, self-timed, training or Virtual Runs as proof of time.

@DopeyBadger

runDisney updated the marathon event PoT requirements. Looks like 5 hours for the marathon is official now.

From the runDisney site:
If you believe you will finish the Half Marathon in 2 hours and 30 minutes (2:30) or less or the Marathon in 5 hours (5:00) or less, proof of time is required for start corral placement. If you believe you will finish the Half Marathon in over 2:30 or the Marathon in over 5:00, proof of time is not required. Corral placement is based on your anticipated finish time and corral capacities. Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge and Dopey Challenge participants should adhere to Marathon proof of time requirements. Proof of time is not required for the 5K and 10K races. Please reference the Pacing Requirements below for finish times and associated pacing per mile for the Half Marathon or Marathon. Please note that if you submit a proof of time from an alternate race distance, an industry standard calculation will be applied to equate your finish time.
  • Proof of time must be provided from an officially timed race on a USATF certified course reflecting results between January 1, 2019 and October 6, 2020 and must be one of the below listed distances. Runners will be placed in the last corral if the appropriate race distance is not submitted for Proof of Time or if the data provided is incomplete or cannot be verified.
Full Marathon Proof of Time – Results for a 10 Mile, Half Marathon or Marathon
Half Marathon Proof of Time – Results for a 10K, 12K, 15K, 10 Mile, Half Marathon or Marathon.
Note: We cannot accept relays, trail runs, self-timed, training or Virtual Runs as proof of time.

@DopeyBadger

Thanks for noticing! I'll update the OP with the following chart:

Screen Shot 2020-04-02 at 1.34.56 PM.png

Once the original dates for Star Wars weekend passes and things calm down a bit, then I'll reach out to runDisney to get concrete cutoffs for the 5hr marathon POT. At this moment in time, I'd assume the 1:46 10 miler and 2:22 HM are good guesses.

Hi, new poster here! I haven’t run a RunDisney event since 2014, but will be registering for the 2020 Marathon. My goal is to make it into Corral C. I’m training for a half marathon in the Fall that I’ll use as my POT, and am confident I will be able to finish it it 02:05:00.
Im having a hard time understanding the formulas posted above, is a 2:05:00 half POT fast enough for placement in Marathon corral C?
If not, what half time should I be training for? Thank you in advance!

Hi, new poster here! I haven’t run a RunDisney event since 2014, but will be registering for the 2020 Marathon. My goal is to make it into Corral C. I’m training for a half marathon in the Fall that I’ll use as my POT, and am confident I will be able to finish it it 02:05:00.
Im having a hard time understanding the formulas posted above, is a 2:05:00 half POT fast enough for placement in Marathon corral C?
If not, what half time should I be training for? Thank you in advance!
A 2:05:00 POT will get you in Corral C. [1:53:37 - 2:07:48] per the posted chart! That's the way I read it.
BTW...[tongue-in-cheek] It's the 2021 Disney Marathon! Good luck with your training and run for the
POT.

Has ANYONE else seen the Facebook post a lady posted about an email she got from RunDisney about changing POT requirements based on corona happening?! I have to find it!!! However I have not seen anything official changed on the Run Disney website that reflects the email that lady received

Has ANYONE else seen the Facebook post a lady posted about an email she got from RunDisney about changing POT requirements based on corona happening?! I have to find it!!! However I have not seen anything official changed on the Run Disney website that reflects the email that lady received
I found it!!!

That would be fantastic, if it happens! Doubly so, if they’ll do the same for Marathon Weekend. It would let me use my 2018 Chicago Marathon time.

That would be fantastic, if it happens! Doubly so, if they’ll do the same for Marathon Weekend. It would let me use my 2018 Chicago Marathon time.

Exactly, so now I’m wondering if Run Disney will announce this officially. If not, I guess it certainly wouldn’t hurt to enter a POT race that falls within that new time window.

Marathon Weekend extended the back end a bit already. It’s October 20th now I believe which was originally like October 4th or something.

They did, but I think there is still opportunity and a chance for them to extend it backwards, as well. It will most likely depend on how quickly local races get back into full swing. That extra 2 weeks is likely going to offer a very limited number of opportunities. It’s also in rD’s best interest to ensure that as many runners are able to enter PoTs as possible, as it will hel with corral distribution and, ultimately, course congestion.

Hey guys! I know I’ve been gone forever! I haven’t run a race since Star Wars last year and we walked that one. My last race before that was the Silo District Marathon in May 2018 so it was too long ago, plus I was slower than 5:00 so I guess it doesn’t matter anyway with the new cutoffs. So from what I’m seeing, runDisney is just trusting everyone to input a correct finish estimate? Can you even put in a POT if it’s slower than 2:30? And I have to trust them to put me in the 6:00 corral if I put that as my estimate? Sorry, been gone so long idk how it works anymore!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter