POT (Proof of Time) Race Equivalency Cutoff Confirmed Times

Got a e-mail from runDisney today. Incase anyone was wondering when they stop accepting times to be submitted the answer is October 9, 2018 8:00 PM GMT, which for those of us in CST would be 3:00 PM.

I also like to add I hate the use of "certified course". It's the most vague thing I've ever seen in my life and drives me crazy lol.

So my questions was asked regarding if a race was not chipped time would it be accepted and this is the answer: "races must be officially timed. We understand there are methods other than chip timed that are still used for timing races. Therefore, as long as the race is on a certified course, officially timed, and the results are available online for verification, the race can be used for proof of time."

I guess that means I'm good to go kinda... So much gray areas with the course being certified. I mean the guy measured it but not USTAF or whatever body certifies marathons and what not. Oh well I know my October race will eliminate any doubt as its more of a legit race than my upcoming race this month.

I finished the 10K with a chip time of 1:14:36! It sounds so silly but I was so happy to be under 1:15 for POT purposes!

I know 1:15 was confirmed in a previous email, so does that mean I’m safe for entry into corral E (the first POT corral)? Should I send an email and see what they say? I want to make sure I don’t need another run, because 10Ks are so few and far between. If I do, I’ll have to start searching again ASAP!

Congrats!

I'd say you're as safe as we can believe. But you're more than welcome to send an additional email to them to confirm. But your sub-1:15 seems like it'll be what you're looking for in terms of getting into Corral E (or its equivalent).

I emailed runDisney last night and just received their response. I'm sharing the information I got just in case it's helpful to anyone else here!

Background info - My finish time for the 10K I ran was 1:14:36. While we know (thanks to @DopeyBadger) that 1:15 is the confirmed recommended time, I just wanted to double check because I was so close to 1:15 and I didn't want to think I was safe and then find out I wasn't when it's too late to run another 10K. Here's the response I received:

"Thank you for reaching out about a 10k time. We had our verifier do the industry standard calculation and your 1:14:36 10k time is equivalent to a 2:44 Half Marathon, which still puts you under the 2:45 cut-off."

Now that I have proof (in writing lol), I'm going to submit my time. I was willing to sign up for another 10K, but the more I think about it, I'm better off just sticking with what I have because a) 10Ks are so hard to find and the ones I did find don't work with my schedule, and b) I would have to improve my time by over 6 minutes to make a difference in corral placement, which isn't likely for me! I'm very happy with my time - all I wanted was to get a time that would put me under the 2:45 HM time, and I made it!

An additional data point, in case it's helpful - I emailed asking about my current POT 10K, which is 1:08:21. This is the response I got:

"The 2017 Reindeer Run 10k is still in the time range for the Princess Half Marathon Weekend and has official timed results. Your time of 1:08:21 would be equivalent to a 2:30 half marathon."

So based on Princess 2018 corrals (my next race is Princess 2019), that would likely put me in Corral D (but right on the cusp - you were right @DopeyBadger!):

IMG_7343-650x403.jpg

Please forgive me for being so confused! I plan to do the Dopey Challenge in 2020. Do I need to submit race times for a certain race distance or can I submit race time for 10k and they will calculate what it would be for half and full?
The full I was planning to run next year won't be until after the cut off for submitting POT. I am trying to determine if I need to run a 10k, half, or full earlier in the year next year and what length it would need to be.

Please forgive me for being so confused! I plan to do the Dopey Challenge in 2020. Do I need to submit race times for a certain race distance or can I submit race time for 10k and they will calculate what it would be for half and full?
The full I was planning to run next year won't be until after the cut off for submitting POT. I am trying to determine if I need to run a 10k, half, or full earlier in the year next year and what length it would need to be.

A 10k proof of time is only good for up to a half marathon with RunDisney. For a RunDisney marathon, Goofy Challenge or Dopey Challenge, you need proof of time from a 10 mile or longer race. Currently, when you register you will tell them if you plan to run faster or slower than the PoT cutoff and, if faster, you then enter the information from your race, including distance, results URL and time. They calculate your projected finish time and seed you into a corral based on that information. If you don't have your PoT information at the time of registration you can go back into your account and add it later, up to the PoT cutoff date that they specify.

So attempted another POT with a half this weekend- but the heat did me in the last few miles.
I did email RD and Track Shack responded- so I thought I would share adding the collective data.
Thanks @DopeyBadger for all your hard work on this!

Thank you for reaching out about the Dopey Challenge and proof of time.
We had our verifier do the industry standard calculation for your times and posted them below:
Half Marathon time of 2:33:31 calculates to an anticipated finish of 5:24 Full Marathon.
10 Mile time of 1:52:27 calculates to an anticipated finish of 5:19 Full Marathon.

So attempted another POT with a half this weekend- but the heat did me in the last few miles.
I did email RD and Track Shack responded- so I thought I would share adding the collective data.
Thanks @DopeyBadger for all your hard work on this!

Thank you for reaching out about the Dopey Challenge and proof of time.
We had our verifier do the industry standard calculation for your times and posted them below:
Half Marathon time of 2:33:31 calculates to an anticipated finish of 5:24 Full Marathon.
10 Mile time of 1:52:27 calculates to an anticipated finish of 5:19 Full Marathon.

Thanks for sharing. Seems to line up nicely with the other data collected thus far.

Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 6.24.28 AM.png

Two more data points (one for HM and one for Marathon)
  • I asked if a 3:45:39 Marathon or a 1:44:25 HM time was better. The response "1:44:25 half marathon time would calculate to a 3:40 marathon. Either time would place you in the same corral."
  • I asked if a 1:15:10 was fast enough to use as POT. The response "The 1:15:10 10k would calculate to a 2:45 half marathon"
So your data still seems to be on point

Two more data points (one for HM and one for Marathon)
  • I asked if a 3:45:39 Marathon or a 1:44:25 HM time was better. The response "1:44:25 half marathon time would calculate to a 3:40 marathon. Either time would place you in the same corral."
  • I asked if a 1:15:10 was fast enough to use as POT. The response "The 1:15:10 10k would calculate to a 2:45 half marathon"
So your data still seems to be on point

Thanks for sharing! Leads me to believe they are referring to Corral B and thus the HM cutoff is at least less than 1:44:25. This would agree with the estimated cutoff I've got. Seems like we are definitely close to honing in the data set.

I updated the OP with a more readable format of the race equivalency corral breakdown chart.

View attachment 342561

Am I understanding this correctly in that to get into the E corral for Dopey, I'd need a sub-2:36 half -- which I have. To move into D, I'd have to go 2:21. I'm wanting to register for Dopey but was hoping to wait until after W&D to commit. Waiting to hear back from runDisney if I can use a POT from a race after the submission deadline if I submit it when I register after the POT cut off date. My goal for W&D is sub 2:30 and based on training seems realistic. That'd move me up a corral for the half weekends but it looks like it doesn't benefit me at all for marathon weekend.

Am I understanding this correctly in that to get into the E corral for Dopey, I'd need a sub-2:36 half -- which I have. To move into D, I'd have to go 2:21. I'm wanting to register for Dopey but was hoping to wait until after W&D to commit. Waiting to hear back from runDisney if I can use a POT from a race after the submission deadline if I submit it when I register after the POT cut off date. My goal for W&D is sub 2:30 and based on training seems realistic. That'd move me up a corral for the half weekends but it looks like it doesn't benefit me at all for marathon weekend.

Yes, you are correct. In order to be in corral E for Dopey you need at least a 2:36 HM (per runDisney as this was stated as the cutoff time for POT submission). In order to be in corral D, I am calculating based on past runDisney behavior (which does not always have to equal the future) that the cutoff will be around 2:22. So it would be safe to say at this moment in time that a 2:30 HM is unlikely to move up corral position. But since there are no guarantees when it comes to these estimates, I say go to do your best and see what happens. As for whether they will let you use 2018 W&D we shall see.

I’ll have my fingers crossed for you, but I have personal experience with this. My friend registered for PDC back in 2016 and she used a PoT that occurred AFTER PoT deadline and it was not accepted.

I would email disneysports@trackshack.com ASAP and ask the for clarity on whether W&D would be accepted for Dopey. They’ve been responding incredibly quickly to emails.

Just to understand correctly for Dopey, if I submit a POT 1h:56 HM and an estimated 7-8min/mile pace I would end up in B/B/B/C ?

I’ll have my fingers crossed for you, but I have personal experience with this. My friend registered for PDC back in 2016 and she used a PoT that occurred AFTER PoT deadline and it was not accepted.

I would email disneysports@trackshack.com ASAP and ask the for clarity on whether W&D would be accepted for Dopey. They’ve been responding incredibly quickly to emails.

I got the following email --

Thank you for reaching out. If you register after the October 9, 2018 deadline, you will only have at the point of registration to input a proof of time. As long as you provide all the required information in the proof fields.

Thank you,

Track Shack Events on behalf of runDisney

Doesn't answer my question about if I could use a post-Oct 9/2018 W&D half as a proof but confirms I can enter a POT if I register after deadline. Whether or not I can use W&D '18 as POT only matters if I break 2:21 and that's probably unlikely to happen. I'll ask for clarification just in case. I definitely don't want to risk having POT rejected and ending up in the back of the pack.

So Wine and Dine 2018 was the first race that came out after I put the info together:

screen-shot-2018-08-09-at-6-34-24-am-png.342560

2018_w-d_corral_assignments_half_marathon-jpg.358076

As predicted, runDisney continues to use the corralling system used for the last few races. Rather than go with an even distribution of runners in lots of corrals (like WDW Marathon Weekend 2017), I assume they have gone with a system much easier to implement on their end (probably from the computer end and on race day end at the beginning of the race). Simple buckets of runners and no shifting of number of runners per corral. Their hope is that using "mini-waves" within corrals will create a similar experience to having a ton of corrals in general. That is definitely debatable though.

I wish the POT would include variables for the fact all of my planned races next year are high altitude trail runs. I could run a paved downhill 1/2 marathon, but it will probably be the same day as the Red Bull 400, and I want to run that since I skipped it this year when being a dad and supportive boyfriend got in the way of my training(babby is on a better sleep schedule now).

I wish the POT would include variables for the fact all of my planned races next year are high altitude trail runs. I could run a paved downhill 1/2 marathon, but it will probably be the same day as the Red Bull 400, and I want to run that since I skipped it this year when being a dad and supportive boyfriend got in the way of my training(babby is on a better sleep schedule now).
I feel your pain. My last two non-Disney half marathons were in Estes Park and the Tetons.

More data for you....I did the Across the Bay 10K this past weekend with a time of 1:15:37, just shy of the cutoff mentioned above (thanks for doing those calculations, btw:thumbsup2)...Emailed runDisney to see if it would be enough to keep me out of the dreaded Corral F. Sadly, it does not :(...see below...I’m bummed, but gave it all I had...oh, well. It was a PR for me, so there’s that.
The other time listed in their response was for my sister, asked for her as well.

“Thank you for reaching out. We had our verifier do the industry standard calculation for both times and have posted the results below:

1:15:37 10k = to 2:46 half marathon

1:21:56 10k = to 3:00 half marathon

Based on the 2018 event, both of these times would place you in Corral F.

We wish you magical miles!”

Should I still submit my time for F? Is there some possibility if I don’t submit my time that I would get put in G because there is too many in F? Don’t know how that works exactly. Plan on signing up soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!