POTC -- no single-riders in the front row. It's now official.

WonkaKid

DIS Veteran
Well, it's now official. I went to DL today and was told that, as a single rider, I was no longer allowed to ride solo in the front row, something I've been doing for years. Kind of a bummer. I asked a CM about it and they said something about the new boats and balance. Not sure when POTC got new boats but I don't believe it was recent change.

I know almost nothing about this, but when we were there on Tuesday we had to wait after we got into the boat because they said a boat ahead of us was unbalanced and needed some help. We'd never heard of that before this week.

I know almost nothing about this, but when we were there on Tuesday we had to wait after we got into the boat because they said a boat ahead of us was unbalanced and needed some help. We'd never heard of that before this week.
I haven't had it happen on Pirates but have had it happen on Space Mountain.
We loaded and the car advanced but instead of turning right and going up to beginning the ride the car went left.
Everyone had to get out and return to the line for another try.

Right? I've never heard of that either? I wonder if they've either got some new engineers looking at this ride or if the way they determine/define "balance" has changed. I've ridden in the front row dozens of times as a single rider over the years with no obvious ill effect. Now suddenly it's a problem?

Perhaps they are training new hires and are trying to set a Standard and that's the line they were given for explanation? I know it can be diffucult to get your employees all on the same page... It is sad that they aren't allowing single riders up in front anymore, I bet it is the best seat!

I'm not surprised. With the way the lines have been backing up into NOS lately, I have a feeling that the no singles in the front has more to do with pushing rider capacity up than 'boat balance'.

It might be fine 99% of the time but if the single rider in the front row is really small and there are heavier groups in the back couple rows, maybe then it causes problems. So rather than making the ride CM's assess the passengers' physique, they're just making a blanket policy to avoid that situation. It would also be easier to tell people it's the policy for all single riders rather than having to deny someone because they're too small. If CM's have to make a judgment call then you can run into problems with people saying "it was allowed yesterday" and getting upset. I don't know, I'm just guessing here. I only wish I had thought to ask for the front row before the policy change - I've only ever gotten back row as a single rider.

I'm not surprised. With the way the lines have been backing up into NOS lately, I have a feeling that the no singles in the front has more to do with pushing rider capacity up than 'boat balance'.

I question that. I was put as a single rider into row six. In terms of line management, that would be, in effect, the same as putting me as a single in row 1.

Is this really official!? :( I love riding that way. At least now i'm prepared. :faint: Sigh.... now I can add this to my list of changes I don't appreciate.

That seems strange. You would think they would want the very front a little lighter than the back, but of course I'm no engineer! We've gone 3x to the front, I wonder if that's going to change?

Maybe this is related? Our October trip this year, the boat in front of us got stuck before the first drop. Adult with very small child in the front row. Next row empty, third row had four very large adults (as in now wiggle room whatsoever) and the rest of the boat moderately occupied. We were stopped for a good 15 min, CMs checking the ride, turning on lights, etc. Finally they asked for the boat occupants to rock the boat, literally. Unfortunately they rocked from side to side. The CM stopped them and clarified to rock back and forth. After another 5 min or so of rocking (no exaggeration, I was timing on my iPhone at this point), the boat moved forward. Maybe this happens a lot?

Rode POTC a few hours ago and the CM allowed me to sit in the first row as a single rider. However, she told me that she'd have to seat another party with me, which was perfectly fine.

To answer some earlier posters, I prefer the front because I have a completely unobstructed view of the ride.

Last edited:
I think something happened with a boat on one of the rides because I have been noticing things... once last week when we were on Jungle Cruise they made some people move seats around to redistribute weight saying the boat was not balanced. I've never had that happen before. Today, on Storybookland Canal Boats the driver had us all stand up at the same time to exit so the boat "didn't become unbalanced" and I've definitely never had that happen before. For what it's worth my son and I were placed in the first row of prates together today. He weighs about 35 pounds and I'm not a giant person... our combined weight is about 175 pounds... so not sure why they would say no to a single rider in the first row if it was related to weight.

I think something happened with a boat on one of the rides because I have been noticing things... once last week when we were on Jungle Cruise they made some people move seats around to redistribute weight saying the boat was not balanced. I've never had that happen before. Today, on Storybookland Canal Boats the driver had us all stand up at the same time to exit so the boat "didn't become unbalanced" and I've definitely never had that happen before. For what it's worth my son and I were placed in the first row of prates together today. He weighs about 35 pounds and I'm not a giant person... our combined weight is about 175 pounds... so not sure why they would say no to a single rider in the first row if it was related to weight.
I’ve had that happen on both jungle cruise and storybook before and it was a few years ago.

[QUOTE="SOCALMouseMommy, post: 58568997, member: 598254Today, on Storybookland Canal Boats the driver had us all stand up at the same time to exit so the boat "didn't become unbalanced" and I've definitely never had that happen before. [/QUOTE]

They actually have done this for a while, at least the last several years. Because those boats rock more than other rides (think Pirates, IASW, etc), they have to have everyone stand up at once (both water and dock side) or else the boat could tip slightly and people could potentially fall into the water.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter