Power assist wheelchair rental

Curious why you feel she could handle a power wheelchair but not an ECV?

Some power wheelchairs do have the ability to set up a "remote" joystick that can be mounted on one side of the seatback for a companion to use to steer, however I don't know if that is common in the rental industry.

Driving a power chair "remotely" is even tougher than for the rider, especially if you don't do it every day in RL. There's a reason why most of the Orlando medical rental places won't rent power chairs to people who don't use them day in/day out at home.

Some power wheelchairs do have the ability to set up a "remote" joystick that can be mounted on one side of the seatback for a companion to use to steer, however I don't know if that is common in the rental industry.

Driving a power chair "remotely" is even tougher than for the rider, especially if you don't do it every day in RL. There's a reason why most of the Orlando medical rental places won't rent power chairs to people who don't use them day in/day out at home.
I don’t know of any rental company that does it.
It’s an extra expense additional purchase for the power wheelchair. We didn’t get it on my daughter’s new power wheelchair.
It’s not as easy as it looks to use. I’ve seen different care attendants in my daughter’s wheelchair dance class struggling with it.

My daughter’s old power wheelchair had an attendant control - basically a mini joystick that can be used by someone driving the wheelchair from behind. It’s different (and I think harder) than driving the wheelchair from the main joystick. I was able to drive that wheelchair easily from the side with my left or right hand. I never did get the hang of using the attendant joystick - because it’s smaller, a small motion with it has a bigger effect than the same motion with the regular joystick.

Curious why you feel she could handle a power wheelchair but not an ECV?
I have had an ECV and just couldnt use it, couldnt judge the space I needed, found it hard to steer and other problems. I tried a powerchair and I have no problems at all. It has given me such independence. Its amazing

When you call rental offices, ask for a power chair with 'Attendant Control'. I know Jazzy makes this an option and I suspect a rental agent somewhere has one.

What would be better but less likely to find is a manual chair with attendant controlled or adaptive power assist. Adaptive power assist registers input from the wheels or indirectly from the handles on the back of the chair and applies energy to the motors only under that condition. So there's no runaway situation and it essentially controls like an unpowered chair. I've played with a couple of these setups and it honestly feels like pushing an empty chair around even with a 230 pound guy in the seat.

I tend to agree, and yet if we're talking about control by someone of ... dang, how to put it... ok, someone who's generally sharp when it comes to spatial reasoning, then I think most people get the hang of it pretty quickly. If the OP can navigate a shopping cart through a crowded store she can likely figure out a wheelchair. And it really depends on the particulars of the mobility tech.

For instance, I don't like the SmartDrive system for something like this because it has the ability to run away. Any system that doesn't require direct input has that risk. Imagine an ECV where the throttle stayed locked in the on position and required you to push a different control to release it.

On the plus side, there is some amazing tech coming down the pike for people who can afford it. I was politely shot down by Whil when I requested developer access. They were super cool about it but the projects I would like to integrate into their platform are things they are already working on and the last thing they need is someone like coming back claiming they took my IP. By 2030, self driving power chairs will be commonplace. For people with $60k to spend on a chair anyway.
"Attendant Control"! Thank you, that's exactly what would be helpful for this Mom. She herself has some back issues and pushing her daughter in the wheelchair for a whole day could be a challenge. I'm sure she'll do it if she needs to and I'm sure they will still have a great time but maybe the mom will have a better time if the chair is easier to push.

"Attendant Control"! Thank you, that's exactly what would be helpful for this Mom. She herself has some back issues and pushing her daughter in the wheelchair for a whole day could be a challenge. I'm sure she'll do it if she needs to and I'm sure they will still have a great time but maybe the mom will have a better time if the chair is easier to push.
You can call and ask, but I seriously doubt any of the rental places rent one with an Attendant control.
You may find that none of the rental places will rent one a power wheelchair for use by someone without experience.

I have had an ECV and just couldnt use it, couldnt judge the space I needed, found it hard to steer and other problems. I tried a powerchair and I have no problems at all. It has given me such independence. Its amazing
I am like you I can drive a power chair just fine ( my grandma had one in her very small apartment and I could drive al around with mover moving things in box all over ) yet I used my friend ECV at Disney and within 50 feet rain into 3 nine moving objects and there was really no one or other things around. I think for most ECV are easer but there are a few ( very few power chairs are better

You can call and ask, but I seriously doubt any of the rental places rent one with an Attendant control.
You may find that none of the rental places will rent one a power wheelchair for use by someone without experience.

Yeah, most rental companies won’t let you rent a powerchair unless you have previous experience/own your own at home. Plus each drive type, (Front-Wheel, Mid-Wheel, and Rear-Wheel) has a different feel to it/learning curve.

Rear-Wheel Drive: Has the big wheels in the back and the casters (turning wheels) in the front. Most people who are “upgrading” from a manual chair to a powerchair find this one of the more easier drive types to learn as you steer it just like a manual.
1F4D46B4-4F8F-4B93-AFE9-AA93BEA235C9.jpeg

Front-Wheel Drive: Has the big wheels in the front and the casters (turning wheels) in the back. Most people find these the hardest type of powerchairs to learn as how you are used to driving is reversed. AB240484-659C-4DA5-8619-DE49A63C8823.jpeg

Mid-Wheel Drive: Has the big wheels in the MIDDLE of the base and the casters (turning wheels) in the FRONT AND BACK, therefore giving these types of powerchairs the TIGHTEST turning radius. Mid-Wheels are on par with Rear-Wheel powerchairs in terms of learning how to drive.
C84845B3-3F0E-475B-B946-BB0BBBDACA86.jpeg

Yeah, most rental companies won’t let you rent a powerchair unless you have previous experience/own your own at home. Plus each drive type, (Front-Wheel, Mid-Wheel, and Rear-Wheel) has a different feel to it/learning curve.

Rear-Wheel Drive: Has the big wheels in the back and the casters (turning wheels) in the front. Most people who are “upgrading” from a manual chair to a powerchair find this one of the more easier drive types to learn as you steer it just like a manual.
View attachment 480095

Front-Wheel Drive: Has the big wheels in the front and the casters (turning wheels) in the back. Most people find these the hardest type of powerchairs to learn as how you are used to driving is reversed. View attachment 480113

Mid-Wheel Drive: Has the big wheels in the MIDDLE of the base and the casters (turning wheels) in the FRONT AND BACK, therefore giving these types of powerchairs the TIGHTEST turning radius. Mid-Wheels are on par with Rear-Wheel powerchairs in terms of learning how to drive.
View attachment 480118
my daughter has actually had all 3 types of power wheelchairs.
Her first one was rear wheel drive and although she had a bit of a learning curve, I agree that steering it was very similar to a manual chair. The front wheels are casters that spin in all directions, just like on the manual wheelchair.
Her second chair was midwheel and she did have to relearn turning since it does turn more sharply.
Her current chair is a front wheel and it took a little time to relearn turning again. The front wheel chair is the hardest for me to drive standing next to her and using her joystick.

my daughter has actually had all 3 types of power wheelchairs.
Her first one was rear wheel drive and although she had a bit of a learning curve, I agree that steering it was very similar to a manual chair. The front wheels are casters that spin in all directions, just like on the manual wheelchair.
Her second chair was midwheel and she did have to relearn turning since it does turn more sharply.
Her current chair is a front wheel and it took a little time to relearn turning again. The front wheel chair is the hardest for me to drive standing next to her and using her joystick.

Yeah, when it’s time for me to upgrade to a more substantial chair, ima go with a midwheel one just for the small turning radius.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter