Powerlifting/Strength Training

DarthGallifrey

Mouseketeer
Hey All!

I'm still new to these forums and I was curious of any other members are powerlifters or into strength training at all. Disney and my weights are two of my big passions in life and it's always great to be able to share those with other

Years ago, I used to be obese. I eventually hit 300lbs before I finally took back control of my health and got my life into a much better place. I started with a diet a trainer put me on and did some weight training along with cardio to encourage muscle development with the weight loss.

I dropped down to 175lbs. And I LOVED lifting. At this point I got a coach and got more into powerlifting. Recently I pulled 600lbs for my top deadlift and Im not planning on stopping anytime soon.

Backstory aside, what do the other lifters out there do while at Disney? I typically plan it around my deload or breaks so I don't have to worry about food too much while im there but I still suffer with body image issues and anxiety that can make it hard to not over analyze food, even for a short period.

I literally just started strength training this week and generally have no idea what I'm doing lol. Not really into power lifting, just trying to tone and build some muscle. I was in Disney 2 weeks ago and managed to get my cardio in everyday. Tried my best to eat as healthy as i could with a few splurges here and there. Ended up dropping 1 lb so not terrible. I would say just try to stay at a resort with a gym/fitness center and bang it out early in the morning.

I literally just started strength training this week and generally have no idea what I'm doing lol. Not really into power lifting, just trying to tone and build some muscle. I was in Disney 2 weeks ago and managed to get my cardio in everyday. Tried my best to eat as healthy as i could with a few splurges here and there. Ended up dropping 1 lb so not terrible. I would say just try to stay at a resort with a gym/fitness center and bang it out early in the morning.

Last year I stayed at the Poly and it was easy enough to walk over to the fitness center at the GF. I just wish there was a better selection of free weights haha

Welcome to world of strength training. I wish you luck on your journey!

Last year I stayed at the Poly and it was easy enough to walk over to the fitness center at the GF. I just wish there was a better selection of free weights haha

Welcome to world of strength training. I wish you luck on your journey!

Thank you my friend, its an adventure to say the least. Just started using some apps to track everything and show me some new things to do. I'm not a big gym person so i bought a bench and some free weights which has got me doing OK for now.

I started at 270 July 11th and just weighed in at 217 last Sunday so that's why i made the jump to strength training. Last time I did any lifting was in high school football 13 years ago so I'm a noob.I just cant decide if i want to do lower weights with more reps or more weight less reps... Any suggestions?

I was at AKL last week and was real convenient to head down to the gym first thing in the morning, but I'm staying at Poly next July and sounds like a good idea just to head to GF.

Thank you my friend, its an adventure to say the least. Just started using some apps to track everything and show me some new things to do. I'm not a big gym person so i bought a bench and some free weights which has got me doing OK for now.

I started at 270 July 11th and just weighed in at 217 last Sunday so that's why i made the jump to strength training. Last time I did any lifting was in high school football 13 years ago so I'm a noob.I just cant decide if i want to do lower weights with more reps or more weight less reps... Any suggestions?

I was at AKL last week and was real convenient to head down to the gym first thing in the morning, but I'm staying at Poly next July and sounds like a good idea just to head to GF.

Since you're just starting out I would highly recommend looking into something like Strong 5/5x5 method. This is what builds your new 'template' for your body. With strength comes size and once you get your bf%/weight where you want it then you can focus on high reps to tone what you have built. Of course different people will have different preferences. But IMO you should always start by building strength

I've seen this 5/5x5 thing recently, but it doesn't make much sense to me...I don't mean to be a pain in the @SS, but could you explain that more or if you have a good link that would... I'm willing to take any advice i can get lol.

I've seen this 5/5x5 thing recently, but it doesn't make much sense to me...I don't mean to be a pain in the @SS, but could you explain that more or if you have a good link that would... I'm willing to take any advice i can get lol.

Not a PITA at all. That's partly why I started this thread.

With the 5x5 method you lift 3 days a week. You have 2 workouts, A and B. So one week you do A,B,A. The following week you would do B,A,B. They typically breakdown as such, A: Squat, Bench Press, and Barbell Row. B: Squat, Overhead Press, Deadlift.

Starting off, go light - lighter than you need to. You do 5 sets of 5 reps for each exercise. Each week you should be adding 5-10lbs to each lift. What this does is forces your body to get stronger. Once you get to the point where some lifts are continuously too easy or others are getting too hard, thats when you start throwing in other stuff. But its all about building that base first.

Not a PITA at all. That's partly why I started this thread.

With the 5x5 method you lift 3 days a week. You have 2 workouts, A and B. So one week you do A,B,A. The following week you would do B,A,B. They typically breakdown as such, A: Squat, Bench Press, and Barbell Row. B: Squat, Overhead Press, Deadlift.

Starting off, go light - lighter than you need to. You do 5 sets of 5 reps for each exercise. Each week you should be adding 5-10lbs to each lift. What this does is forces your body to get stronger. Once you get to the point where some lifts are continuously too easy or others are getting too hard, thats when you start throwing in other stuff. But its all about building that base first.

Never got an alert for this, sorry I didn't see it sooner. This sounds like a good plan, I started doing some more research on my own over the weekend and i think this will work well for me. I'm actually going to start tonight, with most of the exercises you mentioned and see how it goes. Thanks for the help, I'm sure I'll have more questions as time goes on.

Never got an alert for this, sorry I didn't see it sooner. This sounds like a good plan, I started doing some more research on my own over the weekend and i think this will work well for me. I'm actually going to start tonight, with most of the exercises you mentioned and see how it goes. Thanks for the help, I'm sure I'll have more questions as time goes on.

No worries man. Don't hesitate to ask anything!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!