Update: Pray for Dom- Dom has passed, His Services, Thank You- Page 48 post 949

Glad you are doing ok after all that. I think Jefferson needs to stop merging with every other hospital out there and get it together with what they have right now, and my daughter is a nurse at Jefferson Abington.

Thankfully you had a good idea what was going on. When my husband had his stroke at the hospital in NJ I was clueless. He was a post op patient but a fall and stroke risk. I never did get an answer as to how he managed to have a stroke in a stroke accredited hospital - with signs EVERYWHERE on how to recognize the signs of a stroke - and they only figured out he had a stroke when they found him on the floor after he fell out of bed. Thankfully my daughter was in nursing school at the time and helped me out. We now know he most likely had the stroke while I was in the room with him. Massive blinding headache with a BP of 197/94, and severe agitation. No neuro checks done at all. Best part they never tried to find out what caused the stroke so he had a second stroke 2 days after he finally came home from rehab.

I agree with the privacy issue though. He had a couple of room mates and I knew everything that was going on with them as I am sure their visitors did with my husband. I was so annoyed by the whole thing. I never thought to write to someone at the hospital or I would have done that. Good for you, they need to be brought to task on the short comings. I still get really angry when I think about how I took my 58 year old husband in for surgery and wound up with a disabled husband. Almost 3 years since the 2 strokes and it has been interesting to deal with.

Sorry that they had the flu issue where Dom is but glad they were proactive for the patients. Whatever was going around the area late December to early January was bad. That's great he's eating chocolate pudding. One step at a time but it's progress.

:scared1: I just can't with that hospital. OMG! That is terrible. I am so sorry. So glad you are recovering well. How exciting for Dom. Prayers for everyone!!! :hug:

TeresaNJ--please see the private message I sent you. Prayers for you and your family, and continued prayers for Dom. I always look to see if there are updates about him!

Wow, Teresa. That sounds like an absolutely horrific experience. So sorry you had to go through that. I'm glad you're a nurse and recognized that some things were off.

:hug: always dear Teresa. I am also sorry you had to endure all that:scared1: So not right or ok! Good for you for reaching out to the Hospital President. Your care and time will make a difference to many. I pray the hospital gets their act together!

I had to laugh about Dom and chocolate pudding because I love Jell-O chocolate fudge pudding, the kind you make with cold milk. Praise God, Dom enjoyed his pudding and is doing better. Always know he and you are in my heart and prayers.

God Bless You and brighter days ahead!

What a terrible experience for you! I hope that they keep their promise and get back to you by next week.

Oh my gosh, taz, that is horrible! Your poor husband. I'm so sorry that happened, and are still dealing with the after effects. It is so scary. If I hadn't been an RN with many years of experience, I wouldn't have realized half the things that were happening to me were dangerous. We really need to be our own advocates, and not be afraid to speak up.

It has been a tough few years adjusting to our new normal. His vision is almost gone and I knew he has been unsteady on his feet just never realized how unsteady until recently. I am being proactive now and trasfoming our only bathroom into a walk-in shower. A recent fall of my own made me realize how easily he could fall and how much he cannot help me if i were injured more seriously. I bruised or fractured several ribs and he did not have the ability to help me up. I told my kids when we die they can deal with the bathroom. I also need to get a railing in my entryway. Thankfully my oldest grandson can do that. I'm just thankful he is still here. I do get angry at times at the hospital, the fates whatever, not him but he sends me to Disney on my own when the stress is showing. Our kids are all 5 minutes from us so I am ok leaving him for a few days and I call ALOT!!!

Thank you. I feel so bad for those who don't know what to look for when they're hospitalized, and just going to their doctor in general. We should never be afraid to ask questions. I know people like my mom, who is 86, think doctors are Gods, and shouldn't be questioned. I have to tell her constantly that she has the right to ask if she isn't clear about something, like her meds, etc.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. My mom trusts the drs. as though they are literally the hands of God. When my dad had cancer a few years ago I was so angry with her. We have a first class cancer treatment center in Philly and they advertise next day appointments. She let the doctor handle everything and waited over a month. Even a friend who works at Fox Chase couldn't convince her she needed to act faster. Thankfully my dad will be 85 and is doing OK, cancer free for 4 years now so I am happy with that.

@TeresaNJ First, happy to hear your recovery is going well. I have cervical stenosis, lumbar stenosis, degenerative disc disease, arthritis in my c-spine & lumbar spine, so can somewhat relate. Also, usually lurk but follow Doms progress always saying a prayer for him.

As far as your hospital stay at Jefferson, how awful for you. You are a nurse and am sure much better than many in advocating for yourself. So wrong to have this happen to you and glad to hear that you wrote your letter. Hope it does lead to making changes in their level of care.

DH & I are originally from North Jersey, way up in Bergen County, where we felt fortunate to have a great local hospital, as well as not too far from a trauma hospital. Also, not far from NYC, if needed. We moved to South Jersey where Virtua is our local hospital. When we moved here in 1987, our next door neighbor was a court stenographer and told us not to go to Kennedy. So, it was Virtua Voorhees or Virtua Marlton for us.

DH has had some issues with Virtua. One of which was when he had a brown recluse spider bite, which led into necrotizing fasciitis. When we phoned the doctor, he said to get to the ER now! Get to the ER and was triaged, doctor had called ahead. Sent to waiting room for hours. To the point of him sliding out of the chair. I pounded on the window at triage and was screaming that he needed to be taken back. I was told he was triaged and more critical people were back there. Finally, they listened to me and once back and a doctor saw him, told he had about 12 hours to live if he hadn’t come in. However, once on the floor the staff was exemplary. The other time, once again, in the ER but Marlton. DH tends to get cellulitis in the leg that had the infection and he gets very sick, very quickly. He was so sick we needed to call the ambulance and he was nearly septic, which we found out later. ER docs said he had vertigo & sunburn (dizzy & flushed). Once again, floor staff was wonderful.

With all of that being said, we feel as though Virtua is a very good hospital and would consider it if needing serious care. With the city hospitals teaming up with local hospitals, it seems to be upping the care. My boss just went through cancer treatment with Penn and he did need to be in the city for some of his treatment, much of the maintenance is now being done locally. Kennedy is now Jefferson (sorry!), so, that is another avenue perhaps. I did have my total hip replacement done with Rothman but know of others that had it done at Virtua and very pleased.

I sort of digressed from what I was originally going to say. My mom was very sick for 9 years, starting with a stroke, which led to a diagnosis of a blocked/shut down basillar artery. After a few subsequent strokes, Virtua Marlton referred her to Jefferson neuroscience, who wound up diagnosing her. Several years later, she had a hemorrhagic stroke and Virtua Marlton decided she needed more care than what they could do. They contacted Jefferson and were told that the ER was closed (capacity?), even though she was a patient of one of the top neurologists there. She was going to be airlifted but now what. They contacted Penn and she was okayed to go there. While recuperating, she distinctly remembered that she had 2 aides on either side of her when in bed. They were trying to turn her so that they could change the bed. One of them yanked her arm so hard that she had such pain in her shoulder. The other aide said “oh, she is out of it, she won’t know what happened?”.

I won’t go into all of the issues but my point from all of this is that we have become, as a family, so disenchanted with things that it has made us bitter. I know that there are so very many good & kind nurses, aides and support staff. However, when personally experiencing some really awful situations, it is so hard.

Your experience really was an awful one. Something that no one should ever have to go through. You’d hope that anyone going to a hospital could be treated with respect, compassion & dignity. When going through a hospitalization, most of us are frightened and vulnerable. I am so sorry that you had to endure it and I know you are a nurse that I would love to have take care of me.

(((HUGS)))

What a terrible experience, Teresa! And good for you for both advocating for yourself while there (thankfully you know what is correct and what is not) and also for following up with a correspondence afterward. Hopefully it will have some impact for others who follow after you, though probably not.

Good to hear your recovery is coming along well, that is great!!

Thanks for sharing video of Dom. Sad to see, though showing progress, always hope for more.

I am so glad you are okay. It sounds like a horrible experience!

It is hard to believe hospitals have shared rooms in this day and age. I cannot imagine trying to recover with all that noise and the risk of cross infection.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. My mom trusts the drs. as though they are literally the hands of God. When my dad had cancer a few years ago I was so angry with her. We have a first class cancer treatment center in Philly and they advertise next day appointments. She let the doctor handle everything and waited over a month. Even a friend who works at Fox Chase couldn't convince her she needed to act faster. Thankfully my dad will be 85 and is doing OK, cancer free for 4 years now so I am happy with that.

So happy your dad is doing well!

TeresaNJ---Awww that video made me tear up. It really looks like he knows it's his Mom and he's responding to her the best way he can. I think can see him smiling! --Thank you for sharing that!
As to your question about whether or not you will hear back from "Mr. Webster' , my guess is that you will. He may not want the publicity that your going further with contacting Virtua Hospital might bring. and IMO he owes you some kind of response. Someone there certainly needs to be in contact with you over all that happened. I am wondering if he's been in contact with the hospital's legal team, and he's waiting for them to tell him how to respond to it? I wish you luck getting someone to answer you, and please keep your DIS family updated!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter