Pre-day in London

neurosx1983

Mouseketeer
We will be spending an extra preday in London prior to ABD this spring and wanted to get some ideas on things we should check out not included in the trip. Seems like a couple things are not included like British Museum, London Eye, Buckingham palace (only the stables tour is available in spring)
Any thoughts ?

Lots to do in London. Besides what you mentioned...
London: National Gallery, London Transport Museum, Shard, Borough Market, East End, Brick Lane, West End Theatres
Day trips: Stonehenge, Oxford, Cotswold

British Museum and the National Gallery are both fantastic. Warner Brothers Studios (Harry Potter) Tour outside London. There's a cool James Bond museum with the cars and props through the years. A musical in West End. High Tea. Notting Hill and Portobello Road. Off the beaten path, Brick Land and East London. Chinatown for dim sum. There are some awesome British restaurants. There are lots of options in London!

I used to live in London and still visit regularly. My most recent trip was a few weeks ago, at Christmas. I had a look at the ABD London Itinerary. There is a huge amount of things you could do. Let me know what your interests are so I can help you with specific things

I'd also mention seeing the beautiful St. Paul's Cathedral. The ABD never went inside of St. Paul's and I don't see even visiting the exterior on the itinerary any more. It is a *beautiful* cathedral, and well worth visiting. Climbing to the exterior top of the dome is really nice, and you get a fabulous view from up there. I went towards late afternoon one time, and actually caught Evensong being performed there. AMAZING!

And if you're looking for something kind of campy, Madame Tussauds' Wax Museum is really great. It's right off the Baker Street Tube station.

Sayhello

I'd also mention seeing the beautiful St. Paul's Cathedral. The ABD never went inside of St. Paul's and I don't see even visiting the exterior on the itinerary any more. It is a *beautiful* cathedral, and well worth visiting. Climbing to the exterior top of the dome is really nice, and you get a fabulous view from up there. I went towards late afternoon one time, and actually caught Evensong being performed there. AMAZING!

And if you're looking for something kind of campy, Madame Tussauds' Wax Museum is really great. It's right off the Baker Street Tube station.

Sayhello

Madame tussauds' always give me the creep. We live near NYC and I'm always looking away when we walk by it in Times square!
Any idea why ABD doesn't go to british museum? Didn't they used to?

Madame tussauds' always give me the creep. We live near NYC and I'm always looking away when we walk by it in Times square!
They did not do the British Musseum when I did this ABD in 2011. no idea why not. :confused3

Sayhello

Some really good suggestions above. I'd add a high tea, fish & chips with a Guinness at an authentic english pub, and shopping at Harrods.

Have you accounted for jet lag in your plans? At best, I ususally only plan about a half-day on my first day in UK/Europe with short afternoon nap. You probably need several pre-days to do the things on your list.

-Paul

I'm planning a couple of days there before my Rhone cruise and we are doing a Harry Potter walking tour, having afternoon tea, and visiting the Victoria and Albert museum, in addition to some things included on the ABD.

Have you accounted for jet lag in your plans? At best, I ususally only plan about a half-day on my first day in UK/Europe with short afternoon nap. You probably need several pre-days to do the things on your list.

-Paul

All great suggestions! I studied abroad in the UK so I've been to london a bunch but this is the first time with the family. This time I only booked one prenight ( because ABD charged an exorbitant amount) but next time we go if we do this ABD again I'll book more pre nights on my own.
As far as jet lag, this will be minor for us because we're used to traveling to SE asia fairly frequently...anyone that's been there will know what real jet lag feels like!

Following as we are in the same boat! We're doing our 1st ABD which will include our first international flights (so first trip to London & Paris) this summer and have also added a pre-night stay. Would love to see a show the night before our ABD begins - how easy is transportation around the city? Does London have Uber or do you recommend just using taxis? My DD would love to go to Warner Brothers but not sure how we would get there.

To combat jet lag, do things outside in the bright sun, such as the London Eye.

The quiet of the British Museum on the first day in London would put me to sleep instantly!

-Paul

Thank you! I didn't realize there wasn't time for the Eye during the ABD.
I can't remember if the Eye has night tours - I presume that it does and if so you "Might" be able to do it on the evening you have on your own dinner. We ended up getting back into the City later than planned that night though because of bad traffic. We had very little free time in London except for the time before the official start of the ABD.

You definitely can do the tour to see the Harry Potter studios - just need to plan to get an early tour time. The hotel can arrange a car service to take you or you can take the train (which takes a bit longer).

You definitely can do the tour to see the Harry Potter studios - just need to plan to get an early tour time. The hotel can arrange a car service to take you or you can take the train (which takes a bit longer).
Thanks!

Just FYI I tried to book the Harry Potter studio tour online and dates this spring were already sold out. But then I called the Landmark concierge who has special access to tickets and was able to get some for a day that was sold out online... in case anyone is having difficulty

Just FYI I tried to book the Harry Potter studio tour online and dates this spring were already sold out. But then I called the Landmark concierge who has special access to tickets and was able to get some for a day that was sold out online... in case anyone is having difficulty
Thanks for the tip! I checked our dates and they are still available. I'd like to avoid international phone charges if possible.

Some really good suggestions above. I'd add a high tea, fish & chips with a Guinness at an authentic english pub, and shopping at Harrods.
Just wanted to add to my own comments, we did a dinner cruise along the Thames that we really enjoyed too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!