Pre-trip Quadrilogy - planning 4 at once? No way! WAY! (9/22 - New Trip Report Link - Post 137)

No worries! Yeah that makes sense 16-18 month celebration! We got to sneak in a trip for Disneyland 60th so I would at least like 1/2 of the 50th!

Disneyland definitely does the anniversary's big. Actually Disney World did the 25th really big. (The awful castle cake.) And even the 30th and 35th, but then they decided to cut back as to not delute the big ones. I think the 50th they will definitely be pulling out all the stops.

The struggle is real.

I went Sunday for F&G and I already want to go back.

It's really terrible. We love to travel and don't want to go just to Disney, but we find that we look forward to the Disney trips MORE...real first world problems going on around here.

Well I do have F&W in CA that opened today. We have deminars booked for Friday, and I have two different sets of VGC reservations, you know got to use up the points!

And then Fran was talking about taking my parents to F&G in 2019, so I guess it's not a total stop of plans....

Oh, you know she'll give in eventually! :rolleyes: I do think it's very cool that they brought back Food and Wine to California. It's such a fun event...if I lived out there I would be very bummed like you were when it went away! We would love to get to a point where we could go down every year for a long weekend in the fall, but at least we'll get them in 2017/2018. Probably not 2019. Maybe 2020. Definitely 2021! (50th anniversary!)

Are you planning on being there for THE 50th Anniversary? Fran is already planning to purchase points at BLT so that we can book it as a home resort.

Yes - Ulana and I are definitely planning on being there for the 50th. I was there the year it opened (I was 2.) and our first trip was for the 25th, so we totally want to be there on October 1st, 2021. I am also debating a BLT purchase, though not solely for that purpose...as long as we're on property, but we definitely want to be there for the anniversary! Probably would be just to two of us...in theory our daughter will be starting college. :eek: :scared1:

It's really terrible. We love to travel and don't want to go just to Disney, but we find that we look forward to the Disney trips MORE...real first world problems going on around here.

I guess our problem is it's easy to travel to Disney. It's a location we know really well, we have the AP's, we know exactly what we want to do and we're just comfortable. I went on a trip to Crystal River last month and it was 2 days before my husband and I got our bearings.

I guess our problem is it's easy to travel to Disney. It's a location we know really well, we have the AP's, we know exactly what we want to do and we're just comfortable. I went on a trip to Crystal River last month and it was 2 days before my husband and I got our bearings.

I don't think it's just that though. We've been to Myrtle Beach a bunch of times (maybe 5 times in the last 11 years) and we are very familiar with the area, but the last time we went, it felt very same-same...like we kept doing the same thing. At Disney, I never really get that feeling. I mean yes we ride say Haunted Mansion every trip, but I feel like we change the style and substance of every trip.

So, it's a combination of familiar while still remaining unique every time. The fall trips DW and I will focus strongly on F&W, while the February trip we will probably spend a lot of time in the parks, and the August trip will be a lot more laid back with a lot of time at the resorts.

Trip Blue (2) - Feb 2018 - first booking made

So today I made the first room reservation of the trip. I wanted to get a Animal Kingdom Value room for beginning of the trip, starting on Sunday February 18th through Thursday, February 22nd. Because this is a fairly busy week and value rooms are so difficult to get (there's only 18 of them total) I used the system and booked today right at 8 AM - which gives me February 16th through February 22nd. On Saturday, I will call and modify the reservation, freeing up the first two days of the reservation, but the result will be that I have the first 4 days of the trip as intended at Animal Kingdom Lodge. With points we are renting - this gives us

One night (Saturday) at Universal - Probably at the Royal Pacific ( @ $400+ a night - *** Universal!)
Four nights (Sunday - Thursday) at Animal Kingdom Villas
Three nights (Thursday - Sunday) at Wilderness Lodge Villas - Boulder Ridge

The question remains do I keep the AK room, or try to upgrade in 4 months. (on July 18th) My "Plan B" is 4 nights at Boardwalk instead. However, with this being our first family trip with Rivers of Light and Pandora being opened, it seems like a good location to base 1/2 the trip out of. Plus "Plan B" requires using 20 more points than "Plan A", and while I can still work several of the options for Trip 3 and 4. If we upgrade to "Plan B", and are unable to get the value rooms in October 2018 as I am hoping, then this will cause restrictions as to what we can do for the August 2018 trip.

(Oh, such PROBLEMS - I hate to even sound like I might be whining about such things -> I fully realized how fortunate I am to have the ability to go on all these trips.)

Anyways, if I was going to stay at AKV, it would probably be preferrable to stay for the February 2018 trip than for August 2018. August is terribly hot, and DAK is a park we will likely mostly avoid during that trip because of the heat. Assuming we could get into Boardwalk, there is also the possibility that they keep Food and Wine open for Labor Day like they are doing in 2017, and we can hit the first few days. (Though would Epcot be insane?)

Decisions, Decisions...and 4 months to think about them...

I envy your plans! While we have moved further ahead in our goals, we have not yet reached the point to make concrete plans other than a night or two at Disneyland.

Sound like it's all coming together! Hopefully more good news this week!

Trip Blue (2) - Feb 2018 - 2nd half of trip booked! Our friend from whom we are renting points took care of the rental, and we are booked for 3 nights at Wilderness Lodge. I am very excited about this, as we have never stayed there. I can't remember if I've told the story before - maybe even earlier in this thread, but our very first trip to Disney in 1997 we ate breakfast at Whispering Canyon Cafe and walked around WL and said "Wow imagine if someday we could stay here!", that's when we were staying off-site for $58 a night. I've wanted to stay here since we joined DVC, and now finally get to try it out!

Linked our trips to our MDE, and also linked our gold APs to the MDE, so now we are ready for FP when that day comes. We are still 7.5 months from the first trip though, so that's got a way to go.

Happy Dance!
:dancer:

Hotel bookings.jpg

I'm going to keep checking this post as you plan - I'm a newbie when it comes to booking DVC and there is lots of good info here. Thanks!

I'm going to keep checking this post as you plan - I'm a newbie when it comes to booking DVC and there is lots of good info here. Thanks!

Welcome! I am happy to answer questions about DVC booking. There's a lot to know and understand about DVC to make sure you take the best advantage of it!

Trip 1 - DW and I solo weekend. November 4th - 8th (Trip Purple)

So we just past 180 days out and we did something we've never done before - we didn't make a single ADR. Since we are more or less planning on spending mornings in various parks and then hopping over to F&W to eat, we decide that we are not planning any TS dining at all, if we decide on a meal we'll just do QS. Also have the Southwest "on-sale" date coming up in a week for airline tickets so I'll have more to update there shortly.

I know that makes for a rather dull update - we did nothing but will soon - but thought I'd share this as well with my on-line friends - I recently got a rather nice promotion, and with DW upcoming 50th birthday, she has very much wanted me to look at points at Boardwalk Villas. I have been reluctant to buy at one of these resorts because of the high costs relative to the year's left on the contract, but decided to surprise her with a small contract there. I recently put a bid on a 75 point contract, which if it comes through I would probably have to tell her about for her birthday, and we would likely use the points for the October 2018 F&W trip. It still has to pass ROFR (right of first refusal) but if it does then we would have another 75 points to go with our 160 points and I would give this to her as a surprise birthday gift - though it might be slightly early since she will need to sign off on documentation. (Which has become pretty clear is not enough points for us.) It's been a hard secret to keep, but since she doesn't come on here it should be OK. Don't say anything!

Last edited:
Well that's a cool update! Addonitis, it's real! When is your ROFR date?

I totally agree with you to not make any reservations. I think though in your update you used TS when you meant QS.

Well that's a cool update! Addonitis, it's real! When is your ROFR date?

May 5th. Our anniversary is June 5th, and DWs birthday is in July. Figure since she'll have to sign paperwork, I'm hoping for ROFR by June 5th so I can tell her for our anniversary. (Don't ask me how I got her to sign the initial documents without her knowing about it...) :rolleyes1

Yeah, I think Addonitis hits pretty much about a week after the first purchase! I really was resisting because we haven't technically paid off the first contract. When I first bought, I planned on 5 years to pay off the first contract. We are 3 years since buying our first contract - but have only paid off about 30 % of it, the rest is on a HELOC. I was GOING to pay it down another 30% or so this year and finish paying it off next year, and THEN look to add on.

Instead I decided to use the money I was going to spend and I shifted some savings, so I am going to pay for this 2nd contract in full up front. Paying off the first contract might take an extra year or two, but shouldn't be a problem. We clearly didn't have enough points as I already had to rent for this trip. I have to say there's a pretty good chance we add on more eventually - would like to get to 300-400 points, and now we are at 235 - but pretty sure now we can wait another 3-4 years.

When you look at it on a per point cost - the BWV points are costing me almost $5 a point for the life of the contract, versus the $2 per point that the AKV points cost.

I totally agree with you to not make any reservations. I think though in your update you used TS when you meant QS.

You're right - I fixed it. I was also thinking recently we might do something like check out Tiffins via the Nomad Lounge, just grab a bite instead of the full sit-down. Very excited for them to announce events for Food & Wine this year - thinking maybe do one of the nicer events - maybe the Sunday breakfasts with the chef.

Hey just realized - we will soon officially be "neighbors"! (As you own at BCV and us at BWV - just across the lake.)

Trip Purple (November 2017): Airfare is locked up! Very happy we were able to get the flights we wanted at a reasonable price (RT cost would've been $239 but we used points for both flights).

Flight BUF-MCO (Nov 4): Leaves @ 6:20 AM direct flight arrives 8:55 AM. Our intention right now is to use ME to send our bags to the resort, but rent a car from MCO and head over to Universal for the day. Discussions with DW is we basically want to ride probably Spiderman, King Kong, and then Forbidden Journey and Gringotts and maybe the new Fallon ride - so hopefully that's enough time to do those 5 rides. We probably aren't objectionable to do single rider, which could mean pretty short waits. Our evening plans on this first day is to have a FP for Rivers of Light, and maybe at least one of the Avatar rides. I really like the idea of first time seeing Pandora at night.

I was originally thinking we would drop off the rental car Saturday afternoon/evening, but I am now realizing that the car care center closes at 6 PM, which would limit our options. It also opens at 8 AM on Sunday, so we can simply bring it back in the morning on our way to the park - maybe go to MK first, or Epcot, either way they drop you off at the TTC. Seems to me would make a lot more sense.

Flight MCO-BUF (Nov 8): Leaves @ 9:30 PM and arrives at midnight. This is a little later than I would've liked, but it IS a direct flight option which is the most important part to me. With Magical Express, it means leaving the hotel at 6:30 PM, so a pretty nice situation where we still get a pretty full day in the parks if we want it, the only negative being a long day here. Good chance we would maybe allow a sleep-in morning since once we leave the room there's no returning.

I haven't made day plans yet since we aren't planning on ADRs. Now I'm waiting on Food and Wine schedule - we would like to do several of the seminars, and maybe one or two of the larger events, depending on the schedule - last year this came out in July. once THAT comes out, we will firm up which parks we are doing, though mostly we are thinking we will spend one morning in each of the various parks. (MK/AK/DHS) and then head to Epcot for the afternoon/evening. I expect to actually spend relatively little time in the other parks.

The nice part about this trip:
Airline Cost: $22 - all on points
Rental Car: $5 - free day
Hotel stay: DVC points - paid for in 2016. (December 2016 UY)
Park Passes: Universal & Disney - paid for in October 2017/December 2017 respectively.

So basically this trip isn't costing us anything out of pocket, except the food.

Last edited:
Sounds like a good plan. I like it when a trip doesn't cost much!

Which resort are you staying at for this trip?

Sounds like a good plan. I like it when a trip doesn't cost much!

Which resort are you staying at for this trip?

We got our home AKV but in a value room...Only 39 points for the whole 4 nights!

However, I DID put in a wait list to change the last 2 nights to Boardwalk. I'm only half-hearted in hoping that comes through - not a huge fan of moving on such a short trip, but the prospect of easy access to Epcot is tempting.

Talking with DW last night about it, we are both in agreement that probably about 80% of our time will be spent in Epcot. We might even skip DHS completely, or just go over for a ride on TSMM. Enough time in AK to see the Avatar stuff and Rivers of Light, but probably skip most everything else...MK we will spend a little more time there. (She doesn't know about the waitlist for Boardwalk - I figure no point in getting her hopes up.)

So we just past 180 days out and we did something we've never done before - we didn't make a single ADR. Since we are more or less planning on spending mornings in various parks and then hopping over to F&W to eat, we decide that we are not planning any TS dining at all, if we decide on a meal we'll just do QS.

Liberating isn't it?! FYI, if you have a Touring Plans subscription (like $12 a year) they have a great ADR alert feature which has made it much easier to go without planning.

You set your parameters (i.e., Be our Guest on X date from 6pm to 9pm) and it constantly scans the system and texts you when one opens up. Pull up the Disney World app and book on the spot. I've had great luck using this for same day and especially day-before reservations-- a lot of people cancel the day before to avoid the no-show fee.

Liberating isn't it?! FYI, if you have a Touring Plans subscription (like $12 a year) they have a great ADR alert feature which has made it much easier to go without planning.

You set your parameters (i.e., Be our Guest on X date from 6pm to 9pm) and it constantly scans the system and texts you when one opens up. Pull up the Disney World app and book on the spot. I've had great luck using this for same day and especially day-before reservations-- a lot of people cancel the day before to avoid the no-show fee.

That's a nice service, thanks for the info. Generally, I don't mind planning though - I am chomping at the bit to book F&W events, can't believe I have to wait another 6 weeks or so!

Another quick update!

First - just general notice of :cool1:. but also affects Trip Green (Oct 2018) As of today, our BWV points are now officially loaded into our account. This means they are paid for and ready to book whenever we want and we are dual owners. (160 points at AKV and 75 points at BWV.) I told DW for our anniversary in June, even though they are for her birthday which is in July. It is of course semi-anti climatic in that we won't even be using them until October 2018 (Trip Green), but it is STILL exiting.

Trip Purple (Nov 2017): Nothing much here but we DID book Magical Express. We found if we are not traveling on ME they will not take our luggage. (Something new to learn.) So, we will pack carry-ons only and take them with us in the car. We spent a lot of time discussing plans for this trip in recent drives back and forth to Rochester NY. In the end, we need to wait until the F&W lineup to really nail anything down.

Trip Blue (Feb 2018): Flights are now booked on SWA! Unfortunately I not very happy with them. Because we are traveling President's week - flights out of Buffalo have been priced at terrible prices - you really have to look at $400 round trip to florida which is sort of terrible. This year we ended up finding much cheaper flights out of Pittsburgh, and so made the 4 hour trek to Pittsburgh bareable. We really wanted to not have to miss a day of school for DD this year, but also maximize our trip. Here are the current flights - though with SWA there is still hope that fares might change and we can get a better situation.

Flight down from Pittsburgh - Leaves Pittsburgh 2:05 PM arrive MCO 4:25 PM on Saturday 2/17/18. This is not terrible, it does give us the option to drive to Pittsburgh either Saturday morning or Friday night, depending on the weather forecast. Saturday is preferable and with a 4+ hour drive, we would probably leave around 7:30 AM to ensure safe transportation. The only negative is we were thinking of squeezing the most out of our trip and driving on Friday and flying Saturday morning. We were hoping most of Saturday and all of Sunday we would spend at Universal, and we would take advantage of a nights stay at one of the Universal hotels with front of the line. Since we won't be getting in until the evening, I don't really want to pay $400+ for a night hotel, and only get one park day out of that. I am thinking instead if we can't change this flight at some later point, we would have to adjust our stay, and stay at Universal Sunday night instead. This would mean one less night at Disney (BOO) and also mean we would have to stay at an offsite hotel near Universal for that first night (BOO). However, not impossible to overcome. And the flight down was a mere $107, which is a HUGE bargain versus $350 one way out of Buffalo!

Back to Pittsburgh is worse though - the only decent priced flight doesn't leave MCO until 9:15 PM and gets into Pittsburgh at 11:30 PM on SUNDAY night. Now in a way this is nice in that we get a fairly full day our last day, but it's NOT so nice in that we can't possibly get back to Buffalo in time to get our daughter to school unless we drive all night. I suppose it isn't the end of the world to miss one day right out of a break, but it is not at all my first choice. And again, depending on weather, it could be a real problem. I am really hoping that we can watch the airfares, and move this flight up to the 2:30 PM - 5 PM direct flight back. Right now that flight is $233 ONE WAY, and we paid $153 for the evening flight. An extra $280 added to the trip I cannot justify. I will be watching the flights for the next little while.

The final bit of this trip is that because of the extra points we now own, we have decided to try a different resort for the first half of the trip - or in particular we want to try to get into the Boardwalk - but using our Animal Kingdom points. This would cost us an additional 20 points over the current plan (which comes to about $160 in actual cost). However, with the flight down as shown above, we might actually end up with one less night of lodging at DVC, which would result in the points actually working out to be about the same. However, for now I plan on keeping the 4 nights until we are 100% certain with our flights. (Likely will cancel at minimum 30 days before the trip to not lose the points to "holding".)

So that's it! Again - no pictures and kinda boring. I swear at some point I will make this more interesting!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!