"Pre-winterizing" question

polkadotsuitcase

Disney-loving mom!
I'm hoping we'll be going camping this upcoming week. However, tonight it's supposed to freeze, and I wanted to just take precaution and protect the water lines in the camper. I didn't want to go the full antifreeze bit, though, so I hauled the air compressor around to the camper, opened up the lines/drained everything and used the little connector thingie to blow out the lines.

...what's supposed to happen so I know I did it right? I had the kids stationed strategically around the camper, inside and out, to let me know what (if anything) happened, and all I got was reports of some steady dripping that tapered off. I guess I was expecting more to come out? Again, I think I'm pretty safe tonight, but just wondering how you're supposed to know it's done properly?

We did this yesterday also. I was inside opening up the faucets and we actually had alot of water come out, more than just a steady drip. It was just like the water was connected at first because there was so much. That kinda surprised me because I don't remember getting that much out of our previous campers. Guess this one holds the water in the lines more. Don't forget to drain your hot water heater because you've got alot of water stored in there. Also don't forget to blow out the water in the lines to the toilet, the inside and outside shower.
I think we are going to turn the heat on tonight if it is suppose to get below 30; just to be on the safe side. Call me paranoid.

I'm hoping we'll be going camping this upcoming week. However, tonight it's supposed to freeze, and I wanted to just take precaution and protect the water lines in the camper. I didn't want to go the full antifreeze bit, though, so I hauled the air compressor around to the camper, opened up the lines/drained everything and used the little connector thingie to blow out the lines.

...what's supposed to happen so I know I did it right? I had the kids stationed strategically around the camper, inside and out, to let me know what (if anything) happened, and all I got was reports of some steady dripping that tapered off. I guess I was expecting more to come out? Again, I think I'm pretty safe tonight, but just wondering how you're supposed to know it's done properly?

Did you open all the faucets at the same time or one at a time? I start at the kitchen sink then bathroom sink ,shower, and toliet. The I finish outside with the shower and low point drains. I get a good amount of water out even with an empty water heater.

I opened them all at the same time. Wasn't I supposed to -- I'm completely new to blowing out the lines!

As it turns out, it looks like it didn't quite freeze last night (although I did have a dream that we had an ice storm and a tree fell on the camper). Fingers are tightly crossed that I actually get to squeeze in a camping trip this week!

I think we are going to turn the heat on tonight if it is suppose to get below 30; just to be on the safe side. Call me paranoid.

We've camped in 13 degree temps and have never had a problem.. We do use a heated water supply hose and don't leave the sewer hose out. It takes an extended period below 32 (several days) and not warming above 32 to cause problems in an un-heated unit.

dont forget the sink traps and shower trap (drains) you need to put non toxic anti freeze in them or they will freeze also!!!!! :idea:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter