Pregnant Prime Minister

So? What about a heart attack, stroke, diabetes, high blood pressure, and on and on.

You are basically saying a woman who wants a family shouldn't be in a leadership role.

Not at all-I Do think starting any job while already pregnant is very different than “wants a family”

Men don't have the potential to have health issues necessitating bed rest or other complications affecting their ability to fulfill their role? In the U.S. I can think of several presidents who had major health issues during their terms in office, some of which kept them in bed for extended amounts of time -- including the one who had the most terms of any U.S. Presidents.

Both men and women have a risk of medical issues during their term.
Pregnancy however is a choice. Not to say she shouldn’t be able to have kids, but I do think it was misleading and unprofessional to take on such a role knowing she was already pregnant.

You do realize that sometimes pregnancy is unplanned, even in happily married couples. Are you suggesting that women of childbearing age should never hold public office because of the chance of pregnancy?

This wasn’t a chance of pregnancy, she was already pregnant (and knew) during coalition talks.

Or maybe she didn't realize/care about the optics of becoming pregnant only 3 months after taking the job. Who knows

She didn’t become pregnant 3 months into the job-she was already a month pregnant when she started.

I just read that the election was September 23rd. If she's due in June she may not have even been pregnant yet. Or if she was she may not have known. What do you think she should have done when she found out?

The deputy. A very unpopular politician.

Men don’t carry children-there is no risk of them being put on bed rest or having other complications that affect their ability to fulfill their role.
Correct. There's no chance of a male experiencing complications during pregnancy.

Both men and women have a risk of medical issues during their term.
Pregnancy however is a choice. Not to say she shouldn’t be able to have kids, but I do think it was misleading and unprofessional to take on such a role knowing she was already pregnant.
t
Why???? You're saying that despite running a successful campaign, and despite possibly not even being pregnant yet on election day, she should what? Resign? Why????

Most women don’t even realize they are pregnant at a month along. You make it sound like she deviously decided to not let anyone know she was pregnant when starting the job. Chances are with all the stress of taking office she didn’t even notice what was happening.

I have a coworker that just found out she was pregnant at 2 1/2 months. She wasn’t regular to begin with and it didn’t occur to her she could be pregnant.

And have a hot dinner on the table at 6 PM. ;)

Is New Zealand really that far behind the United States in its consensus regarding what women are capable of?

Last edited:
I just read that the election was September 23rd. If she's due in June she may not have even been pregnant yet. Or if she was she may not have known. What do you think she should have done when she found out?
She probably didn't know. I found a conception calculator and, assuming a 6/1 due date, conception would have probably occurred between Septmber 4 and 12. Two to three weeks before the election. Yeah, she didn't know yet.

Pregnancy is no reason to resign.

And have a hot dinner on the table at 6 PM. ;)

Is New Zealand really that far behind the United States in its consensus regarding what women are capable of?

No. Actually NZ is known for being more progressive than AU. Plenty of jokes were made about our kickback 1950s PM when he was in office by Kiwis, even by the then NZ PM.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!