Premier Passport Question

smileyface1990

Earning My Ears
I have a sig+ passport with Disneyland for $1149. From my estimates it will be an additional $836 to upgrade to the premier. Based on this years hotel and ticket prices I will be in a deficit of $382 if I purchase 8 day, 1 park tickets with my hotel room. Are the hotel discounts valued more than $382 or should I not upgrade my pass?

Your hotel discount will depend on what resort you stay at. Also the premier pass only has tax on half the price. So it shouldn’t be quite that much to upgrade from the sig+ to a premier.

In doing your cost/benefit analysis, remember that the Premier Passport gets you discounts on food and merchandise, parking at the parks, and whatever other AP perks are being offered. Plus, no blackout dates at Disneyland or Disney World. You also get to park hop instead of having 1 park tickets. There are also AP discounts for the Halloween party, the Christmas party, the After Hours ticket, etc.

On an AP at WDW - I would save greater than $382 on room discounts and the food/merchandise discounts over the course of a year.

For me - estimate at least 10 nights at a value resort over the course of the year. I would definitely have the AP discount on those nights. Assuming I picked all really cheap nights - $120 - that's no less than $240. That's also at least three trips - and let's say I eat food worth just $150 each trip eligible for 10% off. That's another $45. I probably buy $100 worth of stuff each time. That's $60 over three trips. I'm at $345. Plus the option to park hop. These are all under estimates for me.....

Now - I don't know what you are actually counting in your estimates already.....

I have a sig+ passport with Disneyland for $1149. From my estimates it will be an additional $836 to upgrade to the premier. Based on this years hotel and ticket prices I will be in a deficit of $382 if I purchase 8 day, 1 park tickets with my hotel room. Are the hotel discounts valued more than $382 or should I not upgrade my pass?
Where are you getting the $836? Aren’t Premier passes $1579 including tax, which would mean it costs you $430 to upgrade.

Room discounts, like PP said, it depends on which resort and when you’re going. Last fall I got a POFQ 20% off using the general discount, but with APs I got an additional 5% off, which I think saved about $100 more.

Then we got discounts on Halloween party discounts: $5/ticket, so $10 total.

Merchandise, bought about $300, at 20% = savings of $60.

Dining, around $1,000. Last fall had larger discounts, so saved around $150.

So, for me, one trip saved me around $320. I also ended up going for a second trip in March (though I probably wouldn’t have taken that without the AP).

A new Premier Passport is $1,630.32 including sales tax on the Florida portion of the ticket. I'm not sure if the tax calculation changes if you are upgrading from a ticket that was purchased for either Florida or California, or if you always just pay tax on 50% of the Premier ticket value.

As for the hotel discounts, beware of the easy trap of counting hotel discounts toward your total savings. Even if your AP gets you a 30% discount off a room (for example), there are usually also 25% discounts available to the general public at large... so for the purposes of your calculation, in this example only the 5% difference should count toward the breakeven.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!