prepaid phones for kids at Disney?

myjourney

DIS Veteran
I am bringing my 6 & 8 year old grandkids to Disney next month and was thinking about getting them a cheap prepaid phone as a backup in case they get separated (probably not going to happen as I am a helicopter grandma) but I wondered if anyone else has done this. What did you buy, about how much and how did it work out.

Well, they're not prepaid phones, but all three of my kids have phones. They've had them since they were 10, 7, 7 respectively (currently 13, 10, 10). We went to Cricket and they have a cheap/free android phones. That's what my kids have. We've never really needed to use them for an emergency situation you describe, but you certainly could. Other option may be to make sure to point out CMs to them and tell them that if they ever get separated, go immediately to a CM and ask for help. WDW has a very good system to help lost kids. Teach them to stay calm and know what to do.

It it puts you at ease go for it.... on the other hand will they really be carrying it or will it end up in your bag? Disney is awesome at reuniting lost adults with children. With so many cast members it would be good for them to know phone or not who a cast member is or security.

Just so you know, your kids get separated a cast member will be able to scan their magic bands and will call the cellphone number listed in mde on the account. I'd say the most important thing is to make sure your cell not House number is in there.

Honestly, unless one of the kids wants to carry a bag I imagine the phone will end up in your bag quite frequently anyway. If it's in their pocket especially at 6 it isn't likely to stay there and may not even fit to begin with. I know there's no way my 7 year old would've lasted the day carrying a bag, but every kid is different. For us it would just be something else I had to make sure didn't get lost.

We always remind our kids if they get separated from us to go to a cast member for help. We've been to WDW over 20 times with them and have never been separated.

DH and I were just discussing this last night! Our 11yo has a Gizmo, a watch phone that can only call family members. Because it's a watch we're planning to bring it along and we're likely giving it to her younger sister to wear because she's rather shy and less likely to ask a CM for help, plus we won't have magic bands.

At that age with my kids I would have ended up carrying the phones. Just teach them how to look for a cast member with a name tag.

Disney's policy is that the CMs will bring your lost child to the First Aid/Nurses Station/Baby Centre and wait for you to reunite. It's highly probable that you will be reunited BEFORE they get all the way to the Baby Centre, but still, rest assured, that is the policy.

Check it out here:

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/guest-services/baby-care-centers/

So what your child needs to know is HOW to find a proper CM - show them the nametags!
Take a photo of said kids THAT DAY at the gates, so you have actual visual evidence of what, "uhhhh he's wearing shorts and a mickey t-shirt" would look like.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter