Price increase -- It's Here! (2/11/20)

One day tier ticket experience:

My friend brought her cousin yesterday just for the day. She couldn’t figure out the tiered thing so she bought in person at the booth (which was like 40 minutes). She still got confused so she bought the tier 5 ticket. A one day ticket with maxpass was $220 😱 thankfully he is 9, so he was allowed to get the kids ticket!!! Man oh man! $220 is a lot for a 9 year old! I’m scared to check what the adult price is lol

But yeah the tiers are really confusing.

Ouch. Looks like a Tier 3 would have sufficed for yesterday. $172 for a child's PH. $192 with MP. Still expensive, but less than the $220 that was paid.

Did the CM not know what Tier was required either? Because that's deeply concerning if they can't tell you at the booth which is the correct to buy for that day.

Ouch. Looks like a Tier 3 would have sufficed for yesterday. $172 for a child's PH. $192 with MP. Still expensive, but less than the $220 that was paid.

Did the CM not know what Tier was required either? Because that's deeply concerning if they can't tell you at the booth which is the correct to buy for that day.
I wasn’t at the booth when she bought it but I think they bought a tier 1 or something but had to upgrade. And then she just told the cm tier 5 because she knew no matter what it was allowed 🙄 I’m more shocked she paid that much.

I wasn’t at the booth when she bought it but I think they bought a tier 1 or something but had to upgrade. And then she just told the cm tier 5 because she knew no matter what it was allowed 🙄 I’m more shocked she paid that much.
Sounds like she was overcharged. The CM should know what it’s costs for that day. I’d call and ask for a refund. That is really not acceptable.

I did the same thing last night around 11pm - the best I could find was Ares Travel, if they still have 2019 prices.

That's who I went with Thurs after my UT blunder. They were actually a few bucks cheaper than the tickets I originally thought about buying with UT. I was going to go with UT bc I have a history with them but once I didnt have that option anymore I went back to aRes. So in theory I saved more money than I would have with UT at least. I've read mixed reviews with them in the past but have what looks to be the actual tickets I printed with the bar codes and all. I havent attempted to load to my app yet but can report once I do if it even matters. I bought 3 day passes with max pass. I wasn't interested in park hoppers.

Last edited:
Sounds like she was overcharged. The CM should know what it’s costs for that day. I’d call and ask for a refund. That is really not acceptable.
I mean, it depends what she said to the CM. If she just asked to upgrade the ticket to Tier 5, then that’s what the CM is going to do!

If she asked what the proper tier was for the day, and the CM didn’t know/told her 5, that’s a big issue and worth a complaint. But that’s not necessarily what happened.

We're in the same boat. We bought our Flex Passes in November (upgraded on the last day of the trip from a 3 day hopper) and figured we would add the MaxPass this trip. We tried at the ticketbooth last week to see if we could add it for the old price and they wouldn't let us :(
Thank you! Bummer. I figured that would be our experience too, but plan to at least ask when we get our actual passes on Thursday. I was debating getting them when we upgraded, but wasn’t sure we’d need them if we just visit occasionally without trying to get on all the big ticket rides. It’s a tough pill to swallow, but it’ll probably be worth it to get the max pass added.

I mean, it depends what she said to the CM. If she just asked to upgrade the ticket to Tier 5, then that’s what the CM is going to do!

If she asked what the proper tier was for the day, and the CM didn’t know/told her 5, that’s a big issue and worth a complaint. But that’s not necessarily what happened.
Right, but if she was there on the day she was actually going and it wasn’t a tier 5 day... I mean, do they expect guests to understand the tiering better than the CMs? The first CM sold her a ticket that wasn’t good for that very day?

Update she checked it’s tier 4 day. So in total after she upgraded from the tier 1 she paid $207. Although she swears it was $220. Still expensive for one day.

So moral of the story: triple check what tier you are using, and make sure you don't just offer to buy highest tier b/c you don't understand how the tiers work. That's what she basically did but the CM charged her the tier 4.

My head hurts thinking about this lol

Right, but if she was there on the day she was actually going and it wasn’t a tier 5 day... I mean, do they expect guests to understand the tiering better than the CMs? The first CM sold her a ticket that wasn’t good for that very day?
It’s so complicated.

no she bought tier 1 online but realized it wasn’t good for Sunday so it had to get the price difference

Update she checked it’s tier 4 day. So in total after she upgraded from the tier 1 she paid $207. Although she swears it was $220. Still expensive for one day.

So moral of the story: triple check what tier you are using, and make sure you don't just offer to buy highest tier b/c you don't understand how the tiers work. That's what she basically did but the CM charged her the tier 4.

Definitely still expensive, but good to know she was charged for the correct tier (I see where I misread at first, lol!). I was concerned about a CM not having the correct information themselves. Seems to me it should go without saying they should have that information readily available to them what tier is required on a given day.

I'm really glad to hear it was charged correctly, though. Even if it is insanely expensive for a child.

And the tier system is not intuitive, that's for sure. I do not like it. I never do the one day thing, but even if I did I definitely wouldn't now. Not worth it to me.

Well glad she was charged for the right thing! I can understand the low, regular and high tickets of past (weekend and holidays are obviously high) but this tiering is so confusing!

Dont they sell whatever tier it is for that day only, seems like that would be easier with sign posted with what tier it is. How did it work for the old value regular and peak

Anybody heard from LMT Betty? Sent an email to her asking for current pricing and have had no reply.

Dont they sell whatever tier it is for that day only, seems like that would be easier with sign posted with what tier it is. How did it work for the old value regular and peak
People also buy tickets for gifts and to be prepared ahead of time for visitors and other things like that. They aren't just lined up at the booths to buy tickets for that day only. You can buy tickets for any day, any time, annual passes, gift cards. etc. -- which is one reason the lines can be so long at the booths because there are so many different kinds of transactions going on all the time.

Where are you guys seeing different tiers for tickets? There was a price increase, but the tickets largely look the same. One day tickets require you picking which day you want to use them and all the other tickets seem good anytime. Everything at https://disneyland.disney.go.com/tickets looks the same as last year expect for price bumps...

One day tickets require you picking which day you want to use them and all the other tickets seem good anytime.

The one-day tickets are the tiered tickets that were being discussed. There are now 5 price tiers for one-day tickets, and you do indeed have to pick your date to be sure which price tier applies. I think before this last price bump, there were 3 price tiers for one-day tickets (value, regular, peak).

Where are you guys seeing different tiers for tickets? There was a price increase, but the tickets largely look the same. One day tickets require you picking which day you want to use them and all the other tickets seem good anytime. Everything at https://disneyland.disney.go.com/tickets looks the same as last year expect for price bumps...

What longtimedisneylurker said. There are now five one day tiers (tiers 1 to 5) instead of three (value, regular, peak) for one day ticket as of the recent increase in prices. One "picks a date", but one is not locked to that date. If someone bought a tier 1, but decides to go a different day with a different tier, then they can upgrade to the more expensive tier. Or they can use their ticket on any tier 1 day before the ticket expires (or apply the value to a new ticket if it has expired).

Tier 5 is good any day of the year and tier 1 is only good on tier 1 days.

Here's DLR's FAQ about the new tiers:
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/faq/tickets/ticket-dates/

What longtimedisneylurker said. There are now five one day tiers (tiers 1 to 5) instead of three (value, regular, peak) for one day ticket as of the recent increase in prices. One "picks a date", but one is not locked to that date. If someone bought a tier 1, but decides to go a different day with a different tier, then they can upgrade to the more expensive tier. Or they can use their ticket on any tier 1 day before the ticket expires (or apply the value to a new ticket if it has expired).

Tier 5 is good any day of the year and tier 1 is only good on tier 1 days.

Here's DLR's FAQ about the new tiers:
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/faq/tickets/ticket-dates/
To add to this: in typical Disney fashion, if you bought a tier 5 ticket and used it on a tier 1 date (because you could, since tier 5 is good on any day), you would not receive any money back!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter