Price increase -- It's Here! (2/11/20)

omg - i just posted in another group asking if i should wait or not :(
I addressed you in that other thread, but if you are still looking for tickets at the old price, you'll need to move fast. The price increase happened 10 days ago -- ticket stock at the old prices has dwindled significantly since then. Some vendors have sold out of the old price stock already. Check the other authorized discount vendors now to see who still has old stock available and, when/if you find it, buy it!

Knott's Berry Farm. Extremely affordable admission and annual passes rates, with optional parking add on pass. Also meal and drink plans that are super priced in affordability. All of these things that Disney does not offer. I personally extremely dislike the fact that there's no parking included in the deluxe AP.
Have you tried Mrs Knott's chicken dinner? The restaurant is just outside the park. The parking is across the street. It's a short walk to the entrance to the park and the restaurant too. I love also their annual boysenberry festival. Starts in March runs through April. I highly recommend it plus purchasing their tasting pass. It's well worth the cost, which also in my opinion, is very reasonable.
Check out their website when you have a chance to do so. They also have an app.

I agree. Knott's is great! :D

This was done based on 2019 prices...

Disneyland admission cost $2.50 in 1955 compared to a $129 “regular” park ticket today, an increase of 5,060%, according to the study. Disneyland admission today costs more than 50 times as much as it did on opening day, the study found. Adjusted for inflation that ticket would be $23.89 in 2019.

The 1955 Disneyland admission price was based on an adult “Deluxe 15” ticket book that included admission to the park and 15 attractions.

Scary how much we are willing to pop at these days.🤑
I'm not sure that's a fair comparison. I'd like to see the comparison based on when they went to paying for admission with no tickets needed. Plus you'd have to add some add'l value for the additional rides that were added between then and now.

I'm not sure that's a fair comparison. I'd like to see the comparison based on when they went to paying for admission with no tickets needed. Plus you'd have to add some add'l value for the additional rides that were added between then and now.

I agree it's hard to compare the park today to the park back then. When I look back at what we paid for a 6 day PH in early 2012 (before Carsland opened) - it was $236 vs $395 for a 5 day PH now. But, there's been a lot added since then - things keep changing and improving and getting more interesting. It's hard to quantify the value of Disneyland when looking at prices increasing over time unlike comparing the cost of a loaf of bread which really hasn't evolved that much since 1955...

I get that people are continually bummed at these increases because income has not increased like the cost of admission, but Disney has a very odd business model - having far too much demand for it's limited supply.

Ack I was trying to buy from LMTC but the computers were down. I was just updated my Betty (5 days later) that they had no Disney tickets and likely it was for updating prices.
who has the next best? I nees to scramble now. Unless the guess is that lmtc will still be a winner in the end?
this is what I get for weighing my options for too long!
Becky

Knott's Berry Farm. Extremely affordable admission and annual passes rates, with optional parking add on pass. Also meal and drink plans that are super priced in affordability. All of these things that Disney does not offer. I personally extremely dislike the fact that there's no parking included in the deluxe AP.
Have you tried Mrs Knott's chicken dinner?

We use to always go to Knott's on our trips, however when Disneyland prices started going way up we just made up the difference by not going to Knott's anymore... my kids aren't as into it as Disneyland and usually the hours are much less when we are there (I'd love to actually be able to check out their waterpark sometime but it's never open when we visit). We're vegan so no chicken for us... there was one year (2013, I believe) we went where we kept reading and hearing about how Knott's was going to start serving vegan food so we were really excited about that but when we got there although everyone knew about the advertising for it, no one knew what or where the vegan food was... finally they took us to Mrs.Knott's where the cook there kept trying to convince us their chicken was vegan! Apparently they were confused thinking vegan=gluten free...

Ack I was trying to buy from LMTC but the computers were down. I was just updated my Betty (5 days later) that they had no Disney tickets and likely it was for updating prices.
who has the next best? I nees to scramble now. Unless the guess is that lmtc will still be a winner in the end?
Becky
I think people use Under Cover Tourist and Get a way today. the bonus there is you can get them with Maxpass preloaded. I think both no longer have the 2019 prices. I purchased mine through Under cover tourist when the price increase happened and they said they had a large number of orders.

Becky

I went with Undercover Tourist. They had the old rates and I got the Max Pass included. Slightly higher than the original LMTC tickets but now I don't have to scramble for Max Pass each morning and won't have to pay that increase either.

I agree it's hard to compare the park today to the park back then. When I look back at what we paid for a 6 day PH in early 2012 (before Carsland opened) - it was $236 vs $395 for a 5 day PH now. But, there's been a lot added since then - things keep changing and improving and getting more interesting. It's hard to quantify the value of Disneyland when looking at prices increasing over time unlike comparing the cost of a loaf of bread which really hasn't evolved that much since 1955...

I get that people are continually bummed at these increases because income has not increased like the cost of admission, but Disney has a very odd business model - having far too much demand for it's limited supply.
I also think Disney's price increase are particularly visible relative to the other costs that contribute to a vacation, making it an easy target for individuals and families upset by rising costs relative to wages overall. My family expects to pay $767 on average for each day of our 6-day vacation. However, only $204 of that is tickets for the three of us. Most of the balance is made up of airfare and modest lodging (BWPPI), then transportation to the parks, parking fees at Hometown Airport, meals, and tips. The $767 does not include merchandise.

It's easy to pinpoint the day that Disney raised prices, and by how much, and to debate whether the consumer is getting anything valuable for their money. Hotels and airfare aren't getting any cheaper either, but with hidden variable pricing models that might as well be fixed by monkeys with a dart board, it's a lot harder to see and be mad at.

Becky

A quick glance at three other vendors looks to me like they are all updated with new prices now. Sorry, that's a bummer. If your trip is not around the corner, you might as well wait a bit and see if LMTC comes back online. They have historically been cheapest for us. The new wrinkle, as mentioned, is not having MP included from LMTC. Although it's possible the system is updating their tickets for that, who knows.

The only reasons to include Maxpass at purchase are: You are upgrading to AP, plan to use it every day of your trip, and convenience. In that order, I think. There's also the $15 grandfather reason, but that may have passed so not relevant. If you are not upgrading and using it every day, you can save a bit by not buying it on arrival/departure days, or on extremely slow days.

I would email Betty at LMTC almost daily. She seems to encourage that. Good luck!

I never said it was a fair comparison. Just found it interesting. I get there are additional rides but at5times the rate of inflation? Take just DL as you cannot compare with DCA in the mix. It there 5x inflation in extra value? I am not saying there is or there is not just posing the question.

Also keep in mind that DLR now has tremendously more revenue making vehicles in dining and merchandising than ever.

Just look at SW:GE. Nearly all the real estate is dedicated to dining and merchandise that is selling at premium prices even by in park standards.

Just wishing I bought a few hundred shares back in the 1960s🤪

A quick glance at three other vendors looks to me like they are all updated with new prices now. Sorry, that's a bummer. If your trip is not around the corner, you might as well wait a bit and see if LMTC comes back online.

I would email Betty at LMTC almost daily. She seems to encourage that. Good luck!

ugh. Well thanks for the info! I’ll just wait and hedge my bets for a bit that lmtc will still come in with the better pricing. I even had tickets in my cart with another bender but waited to save the extra $10ish per ticket. Wishing I pulled the trigger!

I never said it was a fair comparison. Just found it interesting. I get there are additional rides but at5times the rate of inflation? Take just DL as you cannot compare with DCA in the mix. It there 5x inflation in extra value? I am not saying there is or there is not just posing the question.

Also keep in mind that DLR now has tremendously more revenue making vehicles in dining and merchandising than ever.

Just look at SW:GE. Nearly all the real estate is dedicated to dining and merchandise that is selling at premium prices even by in park standards.

Just wishing I bought a few hundred shares back in the 1960s🤪
If we had bought stock even in the 80's we wouldn't be worried about the park prices. :)

My point was that I didn't think it's 5x the inflation because it's not apples to apples. I think there is a more complicated math that would need to be done to get a real comparison. Unfortunately I think Disney is like any big corporation they will raise prices until people stop coming.

I compare the Disney increases with other things I like to do. I have a season pass to a ski resport - my pass was $550 ($50 increase from last year) this year. Daily tickets are $150+. it's good for 4 months - it's open from 8:30am - 5pm. The prices for food are comparable to Disney and not nearly as good.

I also like to go to Music festivals where 3 day ticket prices are $350+ for 3 days not including parking or food. In some cases they've actually said no outside drink or food your stuck paying for food.

As things get more expensive I have to decide what I won't be doing. This year I've opted it's Disney year - I'm planning on upgrading my 5 day parkhoppers to an AP in April and not going to the music festivals and instead doing 2 more visits to disney before my pass is up. Maybe next year if prices go up again I'll decide it's my year to go to the music festivals.

Becky

I did the same thing last night around 11pm - the best I could find was Ares Travel, if they still have 2019 prices.

I remember in the early 2000s when I was taking my family to Disneyland commenting on how blown away I was by all the value you get for your money and that nothing else in the world could compete with it, I couldn't even fathom how they could offer so much and still make money, heh!... even a decade later when I heard some I know complaining about the cost and I was even a bit taken back by how much more it was I still thought, but my goodness you get sooo much for your money! At that time a one day ticket to many other amusement parks was still more and they didn't have anywhere near as much to offer. Honestly at this point, I feel like I can't say that any more, that value is just gone, the prices feel insane for what you get... including the cost of food, beverages and merchandise as well as hotels and parking costs having skyrocketed, even just five years ago I felt like the prices for those things were pretty good considering. The only way it would start to feel worthwhile to me again is to either somehow drastically reduce crowds or charge a minimal entrance fee and then charge individually for rides and entertainment.

So bummed... I was waiting for Betty at LMTC too (all week). I should have bought elsewhere. I’m SOL now, the old pricing is gone everywhere I look

We travel from California to WDW every 3 plus years and stay for 10 days. It works out cheaper than keeping our CA Passes.

I upgraded to flexpasses on NYE and figured we’d just add the maxpsss when we went. I’m so bummed it’ll be a lot more expensive to add it now! Wish I’d have just done it at the same time. :(

I upgraded to flexpasses on NYE and figured we’d just add the maxpsss when we went. I’m so bummed it’ll be a lot more expensive to add it now! Wish I’d have just done it at the same time. :(

We're in the same boat. We bought our Flex Passes in November (upgraded on the last day of the trip from a 3 day hopper) and figured we would add the MaxPass this trip. We tried at the ticketbooth last week to see if we could add it for the old price and they wouldn't let us :(

One day tier ticket experience:

My friend brought her cousin yesterday just for the day. She couldn’t figure out the tiered thing so she bought in person at the booth (which was like 40 minutes). She still got confused so she bought the tier 5 ticket. A one day ticket with maxpass was $220 😱 thankfully he is 9, so he was allowed to get the kids ticket!!! Man oh man! $220 is a lot for a 9 year old! I’m scared to check what the adult price is lol

But yeah the tiers are really confusing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!