Prices are out of touch with the real world

bigredcoach

Earning My Ears
First of all I want to say I am a huge Disney Fan and I have taken my daughter there 6 years in a row. Sadly the prices of a Disney trip are getting out of proportion to middle class families. I am a single father of a girl, and I am a school teacher (for 15 years with a masters degree). With the recent price increases I cannot take my daughter back to the Magic Kingdom. The price of tickets are outrageous. The price of a breakfast or any food at the parks is way too much as well. Sadly I told my daughter we will not be able to go back to the parks unless Disney decides to make it cost effective for middle class person.
I regret saying this, but facts are facts. :(

First of all I want to say I am a huge Disney Fan and I have taken my daughter there 6 years in a row. Sadly the prices of a Disney trip are getting out of proportion to middle class families. I am a single father of a girl, and I am a school teacher (for 15 years with a masters degree). With the recent price increases I cannot take my daughter back to the Magic Kingdom. The price of tickets are outrageous. The price of a breakfast or any food at the parks is way too much as well. Sadly I told my daughter we will not be able to go back to the parks unless Disney decides to make it cost effective for middle class person. I regret saying this, but facts are facts. :(

Why not go every other year?

Having to share her with her mother, I try to get every experience I can with her. When she is a teenager she will probably prefer Cedar Point since we live so close to it. I already only have her half her childhood, so I am trying to do everything I can for quality time with daddy.

OP, I completely agree with you. Like many things in life, it is increasingly difficult to make ends meet on one middle class income, let alone make a trip to a place like Disney whose price increases through a recession have been painfully high compared to stagnating middle class wages.

If you love Disney, there's probably ways to make your trip cheaper - staying off-site, bringing your own food, etc - but the fact of the matter is that Disney is not an inexpensive vacation and you may need to cut back to once every other year, or every 18 months. (Personally it's the cost of the flight that always does me in and keeps me from coming down every year instead of Disney's costs!)

Saying you'll not go again until prices return to a level more in-line with the median income will probably mean you will never return at all. I don't think the ceiling for ticket and food costs has been reached yet. They're still filling up the parks with folks that can pay, somehow... :confused3 And airfare/gasoline will never get cheaper, I'm afraid.

In any case, there are probably other ways that you can find quality time for you and your daughter even if Disney is getting out of your reach. Many children never get to go to Disney even once, let alone six times! Your daughter is lucky to have you.

Sadly Disney is pricing out a lot of middle class families. Being a teacher you are not able to take advantage of the free dining promo that starts right about the same time that school starts. The only way we can afford to go is during free dining. The room rate is high but the free dining makes up the cost difference. Have you considered staying off-site with a kitchen?

I know that this year will be our last Halloween Party. The ticket prices keep rising and now in order to see our favorite Villains they want you to spend another $99 for a private party. I thought the ticket to the Halloween party was paying for a private party. Silly me.

Soon Disney will belong to the wealthy. When a 20-30% discount still leaves you at $180 to $400 a night room cost you need to rethink your vacation. Seriously, the rooms are not that nice and the resorts are huge and crowded. My future plans include a move to Florida and the purchase of an annual pass. That way I can avoid room rates and eat at home while still enjoying the parks.

Sorry you will not be visiting any time soon. I hope you find a way to fit in a few more trips for your daughter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter