Princess Weekend 2021

I noticed the More Magic option went down. Yesterday, there was a $30 difference between Magic (Medal) and More Magic (Medal and tech shirt). Meaning the virtual gift card went from $19 to $14 from yeaterday and today. It also looks like they edited the original email too.

Some races have the tech shirts costing $40, or $51. If you subtract More Magic gift card from the Magic giftcard, it's exorbitant!!!!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-09-23-14-19-12.png
    Screenshot_2020-09-23-14-19-12.png
    100.4 KB · Views: 16
Some races have the tech shirts costing $40, or $51. If you subtract More Magic gift card from the Magic giftcard, it's exorbitant!!!!!!

I did the math to figure out the difference of medal only vs medal + shirt for those doing a new registration:

5K Shirt = $35
10K Shirt = $40
Half Shirt = $49
Challenge, 1 Shirt = $39
Challenge, 3 Shirt = $78 (~$26 each)

I guess its more or less on par with what a runDisney shirt costs at the Expo, but I still don't understand the reasoning behind the tiered pricing for the different distances when you are still getting the same thing (shirt + medal) at every level (minus the challenge of course). To me, that is what makes it ridiculous, lol

Are they really going to limit entries?
They did with wine & dine the virtual sold out quickly too

normally Princess is out the door as it’s the same weekend as my tampa race (which most likely will be virtual as they were not limiting capacity however at least as of registration it was outlined you had to submit a time if you wanted to receive medals)

I think if time submissions were a thing with RunDisney virtual races and you had a window beyond just the weekend to post I would of 100% justified the cost for the challenge or at least the tangled 10k

So I think my SIL and I are still going to go on our trip and do our 10k "race" on the running trail of whichever resort we stay at. Currently, we are slated to stay at CBR, but I'm wondering what the thought is on staying at Swan/Dolphin instead (It's about $100/nt cheaper.) Both have easy proximity to Epcot (the only park I think we would go to, if we do a park day.) However, am I correct in thinking that Swolphin would NOT have magical express and we would need to uber/rent a car?

Are they really going to limit entries?

Not sure about princess but for marathon weekend I bet thhey have already ordered the meals and may have done princess as well. In the quantity disney orders medals and with all the stuff they put on them the medals are going to be a higher lead time item. Shirts they can do closer to time which is likely why there are options on shirts (implying they haven't been ordered yet).

So yes I expect they will limit entries to however many medals have been ordered.

So I think my SIL and I are still going to go on our trip and do our 10k "race" on the running trail of whichever resort we stay at. Currently, we are slated to stay at CBR, but I'm wondering what the thought is on staying at Swan/Dolphin instead (It's about $100/nt cheaper.) Both have easy proximity to Epcot (the only park I think we would go to, if we do a park day.) However, am I correct in thinking that Swolphin would NOT have magical express and we would need to uber/rent a car?

Swan/Dolphin do not do ME. They also charge for parking and have a resort fee. So just make sure you look at the total cost.

On the plus side, running around the BW area is great and you could manage to do a 10k with a couple of laps. Plus the proximity to Epcot and Studios is great.

Last edited:
I'll be attempting to sign up for the virtual half today because I am such a Belle stan and missed the year that had that beautiful rose jar medal. So 2021 will start with my virtual full and then my virtual half...sigh.

Not sure about princess but for marathon weekend I bet thhey have already ordered the meals and may have done princess as well. In the quantity disney orders medals and with all the stuff they put on them the medals are going to be a higher lead time item. Shirts they can do closer to time which is likely why there are options on shirts (implying they haven't been ordered yet).

So yes I expect they will limit entries to however many medals have been ordered.

Our TA said we had until 10/2 to decide....so how are they going to control selling more registrations if people keep theirs for say.....the 10k and 5k.....there is no way for disney to know if they are opening registration in 20 minutes if they are allowing TAs a week. IDK. Maybe they'll re-open registration after the 2nd if they sell out?

Swan/Dolphin do not do MDE. They also charge for parking and have a resort fee. So just make sure you look at the total cost.

On the plus side, running around the BW area is great and you could manage to do a 10k with a couple of laps. Plus the proximity to Epcot and Studios is great.

Yeah i was just looking at the fees. And once those are factored in, and the cost of a rental car, they're pretty close again. *sigh*

Yeah i was just looking at the fees. And once those are factored in, and the cost of a rental car, they're pretty close again. *sigh*

Don't know how long your trip is planned to be---if longer, the extra transportation costs are easier to manage. Uber or Mears would get you there, and you don't really need a car. Also, since both are Marriott properties, you can get AAA/corporate etc discounts. And if you have a higher level of risk, the Swan/Dolphin apparently come up sometimes on Priceline Express Deals. (There are threads on disboards covering this).

Just registered for the half, medal only. I couldn't resist that medal!

I also caved, lol. Went for the Challenge since Belle's my favorite and I love Rapunzel too. Medals only -- though I would have loved to trade in the Challenge shirt to get that Belle Half shirt instead... ^^'

Then again, from what people have been saying about the new tech shirt quality, maybe not. Don't know what it's like first hand; the only rD tech shirts I have are from Star Wars and I think RR 2019 was the last time they used the old shirts. So it's probably for the best to get none - especially at that price.

Wait -- does this "officially" make me a Princess runner too?? :laughing:

I also caved, lol. Went for the Challenge since Belle's my favorite and I love Rapunzel too. Medals only -- though I would have loved to trade in the Challenge shirt to get that Belle Half shirt instead... ^^'

Then again, from what people have been saying about the new tech shirt quality, maybe not. Don't know what it's like first hand; the only rD tech shirts I have are from Star Wars and I think RR 2019 was the last time they used the old shirts. So it's probably for the best to get none - especially at that price.

Wait -- does this "officially" make me a Princess runner too?? :laughing:
I ran Goofy in 2020 and the shirts were noticeably scratchier. One reason I went with medal only here.

Does anyone know if the shirts are tech shirts or regular/cheap cotton tees?
Tech shirts. The newer shirts (either late 2019 or 2020) are not as soft although they get a little bit better after washing. The reality of my professional life means I can never travel to Disney World in February so Princess was never possible for me. As a fan of Sleeping Beauty, I ebayed the Princess Aurora medal in 2019 and ran that virtually. This time around, I'm a virtual Prince for the 10K and Half separately. Opted against the challenge because I do not want to feel that I absolutely must do the distances on back to back days come race weekend if it's better for my hectic work schedule to split them out with a day off or two in between if work necessitates that.

i opted for the medal-only option as well because of the negative reviews of the recent shirts. i'm crossing fingers they do a spirit jersey like the did for star wars (it was on shopdisney) or i'm going to spend WAY too much time on etsy.

As a fan of Sleeping Beauty, I ebayed the Princess Aurora medal in 2019 and ran that virtually.

You know I have never thought of doing that, and I honestly wondered why people buy medals from ebay. Wasn't sure if it was a collectors thing or what. But now that you say it like that it makes sense; if you participate on race day virtually, I guess it'd be the same thing. :scratchin

The reality of my professional life means I can never travel to Disney World in February so Princess was never possible for me.

This is also a (small) part of the reason I signed up for this one virtually. Princess is in a hard spot because I volunteer at WDW Marathon Weekend every year and with work the reality is it would be difficult for me to do semi back-to-back trips like that. Aside from the fact that Princess is notoriously impossible to get into -- registration for SWRR stresses me out enough as it is lol

Though I still do hope to do one of each runDisney race - in person - one day. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter