Proof of Time? Virtual?

SLP_PoohBear

LIVE, LAUGH, LOVE
Hi Everyone! I’m registered for the Princess Half and this is my first RunDisney Race. I’m getting back into official races after a couple year hiatus when had my kids. Since it’s been over 2 years since I ran a timed raced I don’t have anything to submit for POT. I’m trying to find an event to run between now and the cut off but everything keeps getting cancelled because of Covid. Is there a virtual event I can run that Disney will accept? Do these exist? I found a couple races on Localraces.com that say that they are self timed but I don’t know if it will count? I just don’t want to end up in the last corral (Nothing wrong with the last corral and I am not fast by any means, I just have major anxiety about being swept and feel if I am back there it’s going to happen). Thanks!

Last edited:
No as of now a virtual event is not a valid POT. Many people will be in the same boat as you so disney will make the appropriate adjustments. They have already been expanding the POT window.

POT is going to be an issue especially for W&D and Marathon. Hopefully by the time princess and star wars come about there will be more races to participate in (but far from guaranteed)

Hi Everyone! I’m registered for the Princess Half and this is my first RunDisney Race. I’m getting back into official races after a couple year hiatus when had my kids. Since it’s been over 2 years since I ran a timed raced I don’t have anything to submit for POT. I’m trying to find an event to run between now and the cut off but everything keeps getting cancelled because of Covid. Is there a virtual event I can run that Disney will accept? Do these exist? I found a couple races on Localraces.com that say that they are self timed but I don’t know if it will count? I just don’t want to end up in the last corral (Nothing wrong with the last corral and I am not fast by any means, I just have major anxiety about being swept and feel if I am back there it’s going to happen). Thanks!

Do you live anywhere close to WI? This group has been putting on races for a few weeks now (link).

All of the following information is pre-COVID, so I can't guarantee the setup will be the same.

When registering, if you select a non-POT submittable finish, then you'll be asked for an "estimated finish".

Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 3.50.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 3.50.57 PM.png

If you choose 2:31-2:45 for HM, then you'll be placed in Corral E. If 2:46-3:00 HM, then you will be placed in Corral F for the HM. If you choose 3:16-3:30, then you will be placed in Corral H. See the chart I made below that gives good but not perfect corral placement estimations (again based on pre-COVID data).

So if you feel that an estimated finish of 2:30-2:45 for a HM is more than reasonable for you, then you won't be placed in the last corral. You'll likely be placed in Corral E (or its equivalent if a new corral system is designed). Here you can note that you'll need to run a 10k in 1:08 or faster to have a POT-submittable time (a time confirmed by TrackShack to me in an email). So if you don't believe you can run a 10k in 1:08 or less, then I wouldn't worry about trying to get a POT in before the deadline.

The number of runners in the race is going to be different, but if the population and distribution of those runners remains similar to year's past, then you'll see something like this:

Screen Shot 2020-07-01 at 10.56.11 AM.png

Such that if you were placed in Corral E, you'll be somewhere around the 25-63% of runners in terms of starting place. So no where near the back. The inclusion of the 2:31-2:45 estimated finish is new to Wine and Dine 2020. So I can't say for certain whether the distribution will remain the same. But my guess is you'll see Corral E become bigger like Corral F which is why I estimated anywhere from 25-63% in terms of starting position.

Again, all this data is pre-COVID, but it should hopefully show you that in most cases the way to not end up in the last corral is to not select the 3:16-3:30 estimated finish. But being as truthful as possible about what you can possibly do on race day will yield the best starting position for you given the paces of those around you. Hope that helps ease your mind!

People in the last corral generally either chose the longest estimate, registered very late and didn’t include an estimate or POT at the time of registration, or estimated with a time that required POT then didn’t submit one.

Ok, so what is this virtual race? Are people paying Disney so they can run at home? I personally can not imagine.

Ok, so what is this virtual race? Are people paying Disney so they can run at home? I personally can not imagine.

Yes. There are actually a fair number of virtual races--not just Disney. Disney has offered virtual races for a few? years--usually a summer thing., and more now with COVID.

They are not my thing either, but whatever gets a person motivated, it's a good thing.

Most people will be in a similar boat. RunDisney will have to make a decision if fall races don't start to happen around the country. Sitting on the sidelines it looks like they have some options:

• Expand the window backwards to allow for older races to count.
  • Take virtual submissions either as files or through access to services like TrainingPeaks. The later would allow for more certainty around the legitimacy of times but might be too hard for novices to grasp.
  • Eliminate PoT and take everyone's word for it
  • Eliminate the window entirely and take historic rD times for those that ran in the past. Some age gradient can be applied for those that might have run their last rD race a decade ago.
This is of course assuming we are back to in person races in February which I am hopeful for but it isn't guaranteed, especially in FL.

Yes. There are actually a fair number of virtual races--not just Disney. Disney has offered virtual races for a few? years--usually a summer thing., and more now with COVID.

They are not my thing either, but whatever gets a person motivated, it's a good thing.
Oh lawd, I want to giggle. What will be next? Pay Disney to sled down a hill in the winter in a "virtual Matterhorn"? Or pay them to slide down your pool slide in a "virtual Team Boat Springs"? The possibilities are endless. I could be wrong on this, I am new to reading on runDisney, so I am going to read up more, and maybe just giggle or maybe not?

Oh lawd, I want to giggle. What will be next? Pay Disney to sled down a hill in the winter in a "virtual Matterhorn"? Or pay them to slide down your pool slide in a "virtual Team Boat Springs"? The possibilities are endless. I could be wrong on this, I am new to reading on runDisney, so I am going to read up more, and maybe just giggle or maybe not?
I am one of many on here who have only done Virtual Disney races. Some of us can't afford to pay for for air fare, hotels and park admission to do them in person but I still take them very seriously by completing the races, training and tracking my time etc.

The virtual half marathons are nice because you don't have to worry about getting swept and if you are unable to run, you can walk them. I earn my medals and don't feel like I'm "buying" them and each medal is a reminder of the race and the places I've walked. I'm especially proud of my two Star Wars Virtual races because I walked the 13.1 miles in one shot (you can break up the mileage on those if you want) but I treat it like a real race and walk the whole thing in one day.

I am one of many on here who have only done Virtual Disney races. Some of us can't afford to pay for for air fare, hotels and park admission to do them in person but I still take them very seriously by completing the races, training and tracking my time etc.

The virtual half marathons are nice because you don't have to worry about getting swept and if you are unable to run, you can walk them. I earn my medals and don't feel like I'm "buying" them and each medal is a reminder of the race and the places I've walked. I'm especially proud of my two Star Wars Virtual races because I walked the 13.1 miles in one shot (you can break up the mileage on those if you want) but I treat it like a real race and walk the whole thing in one day.
Ok, good to know. I do plan on reading up on them in the next week. But right now I am in a bit of real confusion with what they are. But I am glad you posted your story. I like to hear all points of view. So you do get a medal, interesting then. Like I said I have no clue about them and I must admit, you have really gotten my interest peaked now.

Most people will be in a similar boat. RunDisney will have to make a decision if fall races don't start to happen around the country. Sitting on the sidelines it looks like they have some options:

• Expand the window backwards to allow for older races to count.
  • Take virtual submissions either as files or through access to services like TrainingPeaks. The later would allow for more certainty around the legitimacy of times but might be too hard for novices to grasp.
  • Eliminate PoT and take everyone's word for it
  • Eliminate the window entirely and take historic rD times for those that ran in the past. Some age gradient can be applied for those that might have run their last rD race a decade ago.
This is of course assuming we are back to in person races in February which I am hopeful for but it isn't guaranteed, especially in FL.

Options 1 and 4 are really the only viable ones. Using submissions from TP or Strava or another service makes it far too easy to cheat, as does taking everyone’s word for it. We already see how that plays out in the 5k and 10k races. Option 4 is not ideal because many rD times are influenced by stops for photos, rides, and booze, but it’s better than nothing. I expect they’ll take option 1 and move the window back and allow for times within 3 years instead of just 2.

Ok, good to know. I do plan on reading up on them in the next week. But right now I am in a bit of real confusion with what they are. But I am glad you posted your story. I like to hear all points of view. So you do get a medal, interesting then. Like I said I have no clue about them and I must admit, you have really gotten my interest peaked now.

Perhaps that research and reading up on what virtual races are is in order before mocking them. Virtual races aren’t my thing, but they provide motivation for a lot of people to get out and run instead of sitting on the couch. That’s a positive, by any measure, not something to be giggled at and mocked.

Perhaps that research and reading up on what virtual races are is in order before mocking them. Virtual races aren’t my thing, but they provide motivation for a lot of people to get out and run instead of sitting on the couch. That’s a positive, by any measure, not something to be giggled at and mocked.
Maybe so, that is why I am going to read up on them. I do want to see what you could be paying for with such. I just envisioned this as such a huge money grab with Disney, extreme profit.

...Some of us can't afford to pay for for air fare, hotels and park admission to do them in person but I still take them very seriously by completing the races, training and tracking my time etc.

The virtual half marathons are nice because you don't have to worry about getting swept and if you are unable to run, you can walk them. I earn my medals and don't feel like I'm "buying" them and each medal is a reminder of the race and the places I've walked...
I just envisioned this as such a huge money grab with Disney, extreme profit.

@SL6827: you seem to continue to act as if Disney is the only outfit offering virtual races. As @jmasgat mentioned above (as a first response to your inquiry), virtual races are everywhere and not just Disney. Disney did not create virtual races. However, they did see others having success with virtual races and decided to offer their own. As @smctopia mentioned in her response above, there are some valid reasons why folks like the Disney-specific virtual races, especially if they are Disney fans and either (i) don't have the money to travel for an on-location runDisney event or (ii) might not be able to complete the run in the prescribed time. You may be taking the word "race" too seriously. For many folks, even on-location runDisney races are not about competing and trying to beat other folks... or even their own best effort. Oftentimes, folks just run the races for the fun of it. That fun may be meeting characters, running with friends, riding an attraction in the middle of a "race," drinking along the way, getting the cool medal at the end, and/or completing a distance they never have before. Each person has their own reasons for running, and that may or may not be replicable with a virtual race. From a true competition perspective, I agree that a virtual race may not make complete sense, but for most, that is not what it's about.

As far as "huge money grab," yes, this is Disney. They are a for-profit company, and their goal is to make money just like any for-profit company. There should be no shame in making money by providing a good or service that people want and are willing pay for. This is what companies do. There are probably other Disney as well as non-Disney offerings that you find ridiculous (as do we all), and that is okay, but some find this specific offering to be something they value.

Last edited:
@SL6827: you seem to continue to act as if Disney is the only outfit offering virtual races. As @jmasgat mentioned above (as a first response to your inquiry), virtual races are everywhere and not just Disney. Disney did not create virtual races. However, they did see others having success with virtual races and decided to offer their own. As @smctopia mentioned in her response above, there are some valid reasons why folks like the Disney-specific virtual races, especially if they are Disney fans and either (i) don't have the money to travel for an on-location runDisney event or (ii) might not be able to complete the run in the prescribed time. You may be taking the word "race" too seriously. For many folks, even on-location runDisney races are not about competing and trying to beat other folks... or even their own best effort. Oftentimes, folks just run the races for the fun of it. That fun may be meeting characters, running with friends, riding an attraction in the middle of a "race," drinking along the way, getting the cool medal at the end, and/or completing a distance they never have before. Each person has their own reasons for running, and that may or may not be replicable with a virtual race. From a true competition perspective, I agree that a virtual race may not make complete sense, but for most, that is not what it's about.

As far as "huge money grab," yes, this is Disney. They are a for-profit company, and their goal is to make money just like any for-profit company. There should be no shame in making money by providing a good or service that people want and are willing pay for. This is what companies do. There are probably other Disney as well as non-Disney offerings that you find ridiculous (as do we all), and that is okay, but some find this specific offering to be something they value.
Some good points. But you can see where my first thought is/was about the money grab for Disney. I had no idea these were elsewhere and I really did sense that it was something Disney came up with. I am very green. I am glad I ask more because this really has gotten my interest up. Ya, when I do a rDisney I will not be out to to win it, or really any race for that fact so I can appreciate the fun for it. But right now, I haven't had time to read up on it much so I am still in the "do what??" mindset. And I didn't know people actually drank alcohol during the race, wow! Which is fine if that is your thing, but I can't imagine, lawd I would be laid out everywhere!:rotfl::rotfl: But I also can sense the addiction of the rDisney races and that is going to be expensive. That right there could be a possible positive of not living close to Orlando.

Ok, I looked at them a bit and I don't feel as though that would be something I would have interest in. What are they this year, $50? They are all sold out so I think I saw the 2019 ones at $40? I was thinking they would be a bit cheaper than that, but it is Disney. I will say though that the tea cup medal is over the top cute and I really liked it.

Thank you everyone for the info to my original post! Like everything right now I think this will just be a wait and see game. Regardless, I’m happy I was able to register, now fingers crossed the race will actually happen 🤞🏻

I have to think Disney will accept some combination of older times, virtual race times, and expanding the window of time estimates for which no POT is required. Not all virtual races are on the honor system. The Army Ten Miler which has switched to virtual this year is on the Active Experience App, which requires you to start and finish the race in a single session, tracks you by GPS, and has your route and time verified by their timing team before you can receive your certificate or finisher's coin. You could hypothetically cheat by having someone else run it for you or riding a bike instead of running, but the percentage who would do that is small enough that it would be worth Disney accepting as proof of time for non-elite corrals. At the end of the day, you need people spread across corrals, and with the nature of running large races doing it by something that has a correlation to time to finish is better than completely random, even if it isn't perfect.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter