Proposal at Disney

jordyntc15

Earning My Ears
Hi guys! I’m looking to propose to my girlfriend at Disney world this January! We are a lesbian couple so I’m just wondering how well received this proposal will be there? I just don’t want anyone to be rude or condescending to her, as this is a very special moment and it’s her first time ever at Disney. Also, where are some of the best places to propose? Any tips? I’m so nervous/ excited!!!!

Hey jordyntc15! Congratulations!!! To your point, this is such a special moment and I’m really happy for you both.

I can’t speak from personal experience having never specifically proposed at Disney, but I wouldn’t be too worried about the proposal not being received well. Disney is a safe space for sure. Although it’s not exactly the same, my partner and I feel totally comfortable being completely out, holding hands, kissing in public (appropriately - not being tacky and “sucking face”). Even in the unlikely event someone nearby would try to make an issue of it, I feel confident others around would help to create a safe space and put people like that in check.

Walt Disney World has a billion terrific places To pop the question. Obviously near the castle can be popular, but character meet and greets (photopass included) are a great option also to have a bit more intimate experience with a favorite character. Some of the resorts can also be an amazing choice (Riviera Resort, Polynesian, California Grill at night during the fireworks, Animal Kingdom Lodge) are just a few of many. The Boardwalk/Yacht Club/Beach Club at night can also be stunning backdrops. Something like the Ferrytale Desserts and Sparkle boat tour could be really romantic as well. Tons of great options! Ultimately I think it comes down to what (the collective) your personal tastes are.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any more questions, and congratulations again!

I haven't been proposed to there (guess I'll have to keep dropping hints to the boyfriend!) but there are tons of great spots to propose. For me, I think it should somehow feel personal to you.

Do the two of you have a favorite Disney movie? Or does she have one you want to incorporate? ie: if she loves Beauty and the Beast, maybe in front of Beast's castle in Fantasyland? If you both hum zippa-dee-doo-dah together all day, maybe in front of Splash Mountain. Is there a land you think she/both of you would connect with? OR a country you both love, or at least love the food, and can find a picturesque spot in one of the EPCOT pavilions.

Some resorts will also offer more intimate atmosphere's for this. Like the beach at Polynesian at night, with the tiki torches lit and the castle lit up across the lake. Or California Grill if you time it around the Happily Ever After fireworks (there's viewing terraces outside and you could do it there. And once I was present when a waitress brought over a ring to the table because someone had coordinated with them).

Don't be nervous about people's reactions (my bf and I frequently hold hands there, etc and it never provokes a reaction or rudeness), and never let anyone rain on your love. This is a moment for the two of you.

I don't have any hints for you but I do want to say this made me all teary eyed. I hope you won't get any negative reactions, love is love. This is coming from a cis female mom of a few lgbtq kids. Seriously whenever I happen upon a proposal anywhere I start crying. because it's just beautiful. Wishing you a wonderful life. 😍

I have seen a lot of LGBTQ+ proposals at disney and none have had a negative reaction. Expect cheers and clapping! I would do it in front of the Haunted Mansion when the photopass photographer is there to capture the whole thing, try and sneakily prewarn him.

Whats your/her favourite attraction/park? Any places have a special meaning to you?

This is a former Disney Photo Pass Photographer showing some places that were his favorites to take photos as a roving photographer in World Showcase. Maybe one of them would be the perfect spot. I like the idea of in front of the waterfall in Canada or the gardens in Japan the best.
The waterfall because being from MT I have gotten to see many waterfalls in my day and have even hiked behind a few of them before I ended up with an autoimmune disorder making it hard for me to get around on uneven ground so I have to stick to those that I can see driving. One of my favorites is Bridal Falls in the Black Hills of SD on the Spearfish Canyon Scenic Loop (the falls in the Canada pavillion remind me of there).
The gardens in Japan because I love gardens and I think that those are beautiful and so peaceful.

This is a former Disney Photo Pass Photographer showing some places that were his favorites to take photos as a roving photographer in World Showcase. Maybe one of them would be the perfect spot. I like the idea of in front of the waterfall in Canada or the gardens in Japan the best.
The waterfall because being from MT I have gotten to see many waterfalls in my day and have even hiked behind a few of them before I ended up with an autoimmune disorder making it hard for me to get around on uneven ground so I have to stick to those that I can see driving. One of my favorites is Bridal Falls in the Black Hills of SD on the Spearfish Canyon Scenic Loop (the falls in the Canada pavillion remind me of there).
The gardens in Japan because I love gardens and I think that those are beautiful and so peaceful.

Such gorgeous ideas. Also the 180° of the garden with the Japanese arch and spaceship earth in the background

Hi guys! I’m looking to propose to my girlfriend at Disney world this January! We are a lesbian couple so I’m just wondering how well received this proposal will be there? I just don’t want anyone to be rude or condescending to her, as this is a very special moment and it’s her first time ever at Disney. Also, where are some of the best places to propose? Any tips? I’m so nervous/ excited!!!!

Oh, I'm so happy for you! And I want you to know - *any place* you propose at Disney World will become Magical and special to you both in that moment!

Congratulations, and please let us know how and where you got engaged! 😍

(PS: I will be there in January - probably have my Free Mom Hugs shirt and my rainbow watch band on - so if you see me, you better come and get your hug!)

There are a lot of YouTube videos for gay proposals at Disney. I don't think you'll have any problems at all. And CONGRATULATIONS!

My husband proposed to me inside Be Our Guest last year. I was completely caught off guard. He did recruit the help of a CM to take pictures, but other than that, it was pretty low key. I liked it because it was more intimate than a big crowd clapping and cheering. That's just my personal preference though. Take that into consideration your girlfriend's personality and interests when deciding on where to pop the question! Meaning, is she more reserved or would she like a grand gesture? Is there a certain park that she likes or certain characters that you'd want to involve? I would have been mortified had my husband asked me in a crowded area, but I do think castle proposals are very sweet. As far as your concern about anyone being judgmental, I think WDW is the last place you'd have to worry about that. :lovestruc Congratulations! Make sure to come back and update your post to tell us how it went!

So happy for you! I hope it will be an amazing time :-)

I can't speak to the lesbian experience, but I just wanted to offer my personal experience: I recently went to WDW with my husband for our honeymoon, he is 34 years older than me and I'm trans. It's very common for us to get some pretty glaring looks or comments when we're open in public, but we were only treated incredibly kindly by cast members. We were never worried for our safety during that week and the amount of CMs congratulating us in public (i.e. Jim the pianist playing a song for us and announcing to the crowd that we just got married) were very comforting.

I think the wishing well by Cinderalla Castle is an amazing spot-also there are some beautiful spots at world showcase during the night. I have found that the CM photographers around WS are less busy than those in MK and will spend a lot of time taking your pictures.

I'm straight as an arrow so I can't speak to your experience or even pretend I know something about it; however, I travel with my sister and her wife. She has never mentioned anything but a great experience at WDW from CM to other guests. We are from the midwest-and she has expressed that at other places closer to home some people can be asshats.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!