Pros/cons to having only one person in your party with an Annual Pass

We bought 1 AP for our family of 4 when we had 9 day tickets for our group. We were staying off site so the parking savings were substantial, plus the memory maker included and the food/merch discounts made it worth while. I had plans for additional trips that year and so it was very beneficial to us. I think you have to price out your individual factors.

We bought 1 AP for our family of 4 when we had 9 day tickets for our group. We were staying off site so the parking savings were substantial, plus the memory maker included and the food/merch discounts made it worth while. I had plans for additional trips that year and so it was very beneficial to us. I think you have to price out your individual factors.
I totally agree. So many ways to make it work. The memory maker is another great example you mention. Everyone linked as friends and family on the My Disney Experience account can also see the photos even though they aren't AP holders.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of having only one in your party with an AP? Does it make it difficult to book packages? Would love to hear your pros and cons.

I got an AP a few years ago and have been the only one in my family with it. Specifically, if you want to book a package that includes tickets for the rest of the family, you will still have to get the extra ticket for yourself even though you don't need it as the AP holder. I had a weird situation where I ended up with a package and a CM told me I could just leave my unused ticket in my account which I was able to use the value of later towards my AP renewal.

I can say that I've found it less expensive to use the room-only AP discount for our Disney room and then buy tickets individually from Undercover Tourist or Boardwalk Ticketing for my sons.

I’m considering buying an AP for the first time since I may be going twice in 2021. We‘ve only stayed onsite for the last few visits, so can someone tell me how FP works for AP holders - and for offsite park guests, in case we go that route? If old FP returns, that is. My other question...in looking at MouseSavers website, they list past discounts and when they were released. If the offer says “25%-35% off room-only rates for Annual Passholders (also bookable as AP package)”, what would a package be...because wouldn’t AP already have tickets? Maybe it means you can add dining? If I book a room for 25% off, can I add just the number of park tickets I need? If there were four of us in the room, and only I had an AP pass, can I book the room with the AP discount, dining plan for four, and tickets for three? This may be too complicated to be worth it...

Morning,
Were heading down in Feb for an 11 night stay, we are driving from Massachusetts, hoping annual passes are on sale by then. Has anyone heard any rumors of when they will be coming back? Were also planning a trip in Dec of 2021, For us since we are driving the parking discount alone is about 250 and then then memory maker is 169 so just right there is about 400, plus 10 to 20% off for food and merch...

I’m considering buying an AP for the first time since I may be going twice in 2021. We‘ve only stayed onsite for the last few visits, so can someone tell me how FP works for AP holders - and for offsite park guests, in case we go that route? If old FP returns, that is. My other question...in looking at MouseSavers website, they list past discounts and when they were released. If the offer says “25%-35% off room-only rates for Annual Passholders (also bookable as AP package)”, what would a package be...because wouldn’t AP already have tickets? Maybe it means you can add dining? If I book a room for 25% off, can I add just the number of park tickets I need? If there were four of us in the room, and only I had an AP pass, can I book the room with the AP discount, dining plan for four, and tickets for three? This may be too complicated to be worth it...

If you don't stay onsite, even as an AP, you are able to make your FastPass+ selections 30 days in advance (once they bring FP back).

As for the AP packages, it's just the room and dining plan like you guessed. If you use an AP discount for the room, you can certainly purchase tickets separately for the other people in the room but it just won't be booked as a traditional package. It really shouldn't be complicated at all. You would just contact Disney reservations directly or a TA to book it since you can't book an AP package on the WDW website.

Last edited:
If you don't stay onsite, even as an AP, you are able to make your FastPass+ selections 30 days in advance.

As for the AP packages, it's just the room and dining plan like you guessed. If you use an AP discount for the room, you can certainly purchase tickets separately for the other people in the room but it just won't be booked as a traditional package. It really shouldn't be complicated at all. You would just contact Disney reservations directly or a TA to book it since you can't book an AP package on the WDW website.
Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter