PTR - July 5-10 with our motley crew

Prof Drake

Earning My Ears
This is a pre-trip report for a trip coming up fast: We arrive at DLR July 5th and leave July 10th. We’ll stay in Santa Barbara the night before and night after our DLR time. We have five day park-hoppers, which we will either use straight through (so not going to the parks on our departure day) or use with a day off to rest in the middle, depending on how we feel.

Here are our particulars:
  • My wife and I are middle-aged. Neither of us eats gluten, I'm “pescatarian” and I’m also in an ECV (but can walk and stand limited amounts). I’m a planner — I create custom plans at touringplans.com as a fun way of thinking through how we might spend each day. I have no illusions that my family will exactly follow these plans, but I still think it’s somewhat useful.
  • We’re bringing a daughter, 8yo, who will be on her third trip to DLR. Previous trips were October 2015 and May 2014. She treasures her pressed pennies and autograph book from those trips, but has totally grown out of the clothing.
  • We’re also bringing a son, 2yo, though on the verge of turning 3. He was on the 2015 trip as a baby. He’s close to dropping his nap, being potty trained, and reaching 40” in height, but none seem likely to have happened by the time we arrive.

We’ve previously stayed in places accessed by ART, which made us reluctant to try to go back and forth for naps. But at this point both our youngest and oldest family member could use them, and probably can’t nap in the parks. So we decided to try staying across the street. We are price sensitive and wanted a real suite (not a “mini suite” with a partial wall) so we made reservations at both the Camelot Inn and Desert Inn. I called to ask about things like ECVs in the rooms; I checked to see if Eastern Gateway construction/demolition was likely to be an issue at the Camelot; and I asked for advice on this board. In the end, because my wife really doesn’t like hard beds (which people on this board noted as an issue with the Desert Inn) and because the Eastern Gateway still hasn’t gone back to the planning commission (so won’t be underway while we’re there), we decided to stick with the Camelot reservation.

In my next post I’ll talk about the first two days of our current itinerary plans.

Our arrival day is Wednesday, July 5th. We’ll be driving from Santa Barbara, but I’m pretty uncertain what time we’ll arrive. Google Maps doesn’t think there’s a good time to leave, in terms of traffic, but it seems that 8-9am might be a good window — which probably means arriving in the parks around 11am-noon, if all goes well. (I don't know if the Camelot will let us park early. If not, I guess Downtown Disney makes sense for our first couple hours?)

My plan is for us to start at DCA and hope that Fast Passes are still available for Radiator Springs Racers. We’ll eat (maybe snack food while in line), do some things that have us out of the heat (e.g., Frozen if we make it in time for the noon show, Turtle Talk, maybe one adult taking the 8yo to Animation Academy while the other takes the 2yo to Disney Jr), and then leave to do our grocery shopping. We’ll plan to take the groceries and our stuff into the room around 4pm, have a rest, then go back to DCA (ideally in time for the 6:15pm Pixar Play parade). This evening is when I hope we’ll do everything in Cars Land, which should be a huge hit with the 2yo. (Also, due to ride breakdowns and other complications, my wife has never been on RSR. Want to fix that right away.) After dinner, if we’re full of energy, we might hop to DL for the parade and fireworks. But this could imperil our plan for Magic Morning the next day, so probably not.

Our second day is Thursday, July 6th. We’re usually early risers, so I’m hoping it won’t be too difficult to get everyone to the DL turnstiles for 7am MM. Our plan is to start in Fantasyland and do the dark rides all together, with me taking the ECV in through the exits. Then, at park open, we plan on grabbing a FP for something in Tomorrowland (Space Mountain or Star Tours) that we’ll have to do with child swap, and ride the canal boats and subs together until the FP can be used. Next, one adult take the 2yo to Autopia while the other grabs a FP for the other Tomorrowland attraction and starts the child swap. Hopefully finish all/most of that before our 10:30am reservation for the Minnie Brunch at the Plaza Inn. Then aim to catch our other Tomorrowland ride (if not already done) and Storytelling at the Royal Theater (and whatever else we have time for) before heading back to the hotel for naps.

Either before or shortly after we return to DL, late Thursday afternoon, we’ll decide if we want to try doing the parade and fireworks that night, despite the early start. If we do, we’ll cancel our Blue Bayou MSEP reservation for the following evening.

Hopefully we arrive back in DL in time for Mickey's Soundsational parade. We’ll also aim to see the other Royal Theater show and pick up anything we still want to do around that part of the park (e.g., it’s a small world) and then perhaps go to Toon Town and/or see things on Main Street (I’ve still never seen Mr. Lincoln). I wish we could see Mickey and the Magical Map, but there are no show times that day. As mentioned above, we might try to stick it out for the parade and fireworks, in part to give us an additional chance in case they’re canceled, but we might be too tired.

In my next post I’ll cover plans for further days. But I’m not sure when that will get written :-)

For day three (Friday, July 7th) I'm planning a DL start again -- no early entry for anyone, so we won't be behind :-)

This is also the day that our plans really start depending on the 2yo behaving well enough for me to handle him solo, while I'm in the ECV (with the aid of a harness for him, with a leash). If that doesn't work we’ll be doing a lot of separate touring, rather than rider swapping the same things -- my wife with the 2yo and me with the 8yo, and my wife missing out on a lot of things she'd like to do. (Earlier days it's an issue, but not as big.) I'm relieved to hear they're still doing rider swaps on paper, even as FP goes digital, because I'm guessing there will be confusion when/if it goes digital.

I think we’ll start with Adventureland, which I'm guessing will be tough to navigate with an ECV later in the day (even with the new renovations to reduce crowd bottleneck). We’ll ride Jungle Cruise together, then my wife and the 2yo might run ahead for a FP while the 8yo and I do Indy (my wife dislikes it). Then Pirates and Haunted Mansion together. Then Splash and Big Thunder rider swaps (with the aid of Winnie the Pooh, Zocalo park, and perhaps a ship docked nearby as activities for the 2yo). We'll have a noon lunch at Carnation Cafe on our way back to the hotel for naps.

That afternoon we'll aim to be back at the turnstiles by 3:30 to make it to the last hour Tom Sawyer’s Island is open. After that, if we didn't cancel it the night before, we’ll have a 5:30 Blue Bayou reservation with MSEP viewing. (I would have preferred Aladdin's Oasis, but I called DLR dining and AO can't accommodate a gluten free vegetarian/pescatarian.) We’ll head to BB straight from TSI and request a water-side table, which I think the kids will find really cool after riding Pirates earlier that day. (2yo loves pirates even more than Cars.) We’ll probably also dispatch a runner to Big Thunder for an evening FP (it was the 8yo’s favorite ride last time). After dinner we’ll likely use the FP grabbed while waiting for our table, visit the Tiki Room, and then go check in at the parade viewing area.

Here’s the alternate plan. If we canceled Blue Bayou the night before, we might see Magical Map right after TSI, while still grabbing an FP along the way. If we want to see the parade and fireworks again (or if fireworks were canceled the night before) after using the FP we’ll grab food from somewhere and stake out a spot on the parade route. Maybe Jolly Holiday or Troubador Tavern for food. As for where to sit for the parade, I’ve been trying to figure out if there’s an ECV viewing area for the parades and, if so, where it is and how to access it. Any pointers?

Next planning post should go through the end of our trip!

I don't think you should hop over to DL on your first evening to try for MSEP and fireworks. Mostly because the following morning is a 7 am MM and your youngest is 2.

I don't think you should hop over to DL on your first evening to try for MSEP and fireworks. Mostly because the following morning is a 7 am MM and your youngest is 2.

I think you're right. We have to choose between them, and the MM is the better choice.

Day 4 (Saturday, July 8th) is the big unknown. It might be the quietest day in the parks, given Deluxe passports will be blocked. On the other hand, Touring Plans thinks it will be one of the busiest: crowd level “8” when most others are “6.” We might also be totally exhausted and need a day off, and perhaps some time in the pool, regardless. So maybe we take Saturday off, or maybe we don't -- but in either case our next park day will start at DCA.

I'm guessing that Toy Story will be a big hit with the kids, so I think we’ll send one adult to ride it with the kids (perhaps repeatedly) while the other adult gets Guardians FPs. (Could be me getting FP, or the 8yo could help me handle the 2yo.) Then we'll probably take turns riding California Screamin’ with the 8yo and the carousel with the 2yo. When the Guardians FP window is almost open, we’ll walk that way via Soarin’ and get FPs as soon as it's allowed. While we rider swap Guardians, the 2yo will enjoy Bug’s Land with the other grownup. Maybe he'll also return there while we swap Soarin’, or maybe that'll be when he gets his first taste of Redwood Creek.

If this is happening Sunday, we'll have a noon World of Color lunch reservation at Carthay Circle. If not, we'll eat somewhere else with air conditioning (a preference you can see in our plans for other lunches). Flo’s V8 doesn't look good for our combo of dining needs. FF&P appears to be a themed Starbucks. So it looks like we either hike back to Paradise Garden Grill or dine outside the parks. (Nothing seems super near our hotel, but I guess we could go to Mimi’s, Jimboy’s, or Pizza Press w/in a reasonable distance.) Or we could see if Ariel’s has an open spot, when/if we decide we’re going to DCA on Saturday (assuming Carthay is the only other table service place with AC). Though I hesitate, because the 8yo isn't very excited about meeting princesses any more, and the 2yo hasn't expressed any interest, so why pay the Ariel’s premium?

After lunch it's back to the Camelot for naps. If eating in DCA, we might grab a Grizzly FP on our way out.

When we come back, we'll pick up the things we haven't done and want to (e.g., the Ariel ride), do Grizzly, and probably end up heading back to Cars Land (maybe catching DJ’s Dance ‘n Drive). I'd also like to see the Mariachi Divas, and perhaps some other performances, like the News Boys. (Hopefully we catch Five & Dime on Wednesday, since they're not on the weekend schedule.)

If it's Sunday, we'll be sticking around for World of Color, and I also have to figure out how that works with an ECV. If it's Saturday we could finally use our park hoppers and head back to DL. We could see Magical Map if we didn't manage it earlier, or maybe even make it another late night for the kids and see the first Tomasina show.

And that's about it. The remaining day (Sunday or Monday) will be for repeating favorites, or doing unplanned things (maybe the 8yo sees the Jedi or Avengers show and really want us to sign her up this morning), or rescheduling planned things that got skipped, and picking up any souvenirs that still seem like we really want them after some time to think. (This day is our big reason for having hoppers.) If it's Sunday, there will also be the lunch reservation and WoC shaping the day.

Or so I imagine it. I'd appreciate any suggestions -- and of course I'm looking forward to seeing what actually happens!

Well you really show your Touringplans chops with the detail in which you have your days lined out. I'm glad to hear that you recognize that you can't always follow them when you are in the park itself. Once you're in there you gotta roll with what comes. Handling an ECV and a 2yr old sounds like quite the challenge! I can't offer much in the way of suggestions since as a family we've only been to DLR twice in the past dozen years.

I do have a question though, are there any particular areas that you know of to avoid with your ECV? My wife has to use one on park trips due to an ankle injury/botched surgery. Also, from other TRs I've heard it is worth it to get the FPs for World of Color. It gets you priority seating and a better reserved area for your ECV.

I look forward to seeing more on your planning info and of course the TR itself :yay:

Thanks! We went to Disneyland when I was a kid (before there was a DCA) and I've been a couple times as an adult, but you're right that my ideas of what we might do are mostly from my "virtual touring" over at touringplans.com -- plus, of course, reading trip reports on this site and reading the Unofficial Guide. Inevitably we're going to run into closed rides, unexpected kid reactions, and other things that cause us to improvise :)

are there any particular areas that you know of to avoid with your ECV?

The main thing I've heard is to avoid Adventureland on an EVC. Any time after noon it's probably better to go through Frontierland.

I also asked for advice earlier this year and, while the whole thread is worth reading, this might be the part that interests you most:

There is a set of gates in the center for DL that is easier for ECVs but they can go through any line. The CM will open the stroller gate for you to enter.

I've been everywhere with my scooter. The CS food lines can be a challenge. The key is to keep the speed turned down, especially in stores and lines. You will also need to be extra vigilant as pedestrians tend to see an "open" (because they don't look down and see you there) space and run right in front of you to fill it.

The other thing I might suggest is renting an EVC from someone other than Disney. Last time I rented from Disney, which meant I used my time first thing every morning to accomplish my EVC rental, I had to travel back to the hotel (when most worn down) without the EVC, and I paid more than I would have with someone else. This time I considered renting from Deckert's (recommended on this board) but instead decided to face facts and buy my own earlier this year.

Thank you so much, the info is appreciated. And yes, we plan on renting a scooter from a 3rd party and having it delivered to the hotel the day we arrive. We have done the same thing in Orlando very successfully with Apple Scooter Rentals. And they have an outlet in Anaheim!

There are a few other things we’re doing in preparation that might be of interest. Here's one.

Our daugher has a pretty big pressed penny collection from the last two trips. It’s big enough that we can’t just depend on memory to figure out which ones, if we got them on this trip, would be duplicates. And we also don’t want to carry the whole collection with us.

Luckily, parkpennies.com has an up-to-date, single-page PDF of every “elongated coin” machine at DLR and what it produces. The coins are numbered on the PDF, and the same site has a guide that describes and shows an image of every single one of these. So we’re using this to check for each pressed coin currently in the park in her current collection, then marking the ones she has on the PDF.

In the process we’re also seeing again that the pure copper (pre-1982) pennies she pressed really produced nicer results. So I ordered four more rolls of uncirculated copper pennies from a seller on eBay. As suggested by a commenter on the Touring Plans blog, we’re using old prescription bottles to alternate a pair of quarters with a penny, so that we won’t have to gather together what we need when we find an elongated coin machine we want to use.

Sounds like a solid plan there! You should be able to plan out your routes to hit the individual ones you've missed in past trips. Do you have a count on how many she still needs to get?

Do you have a count on how many she still needs to get?

We still haven't finished the survey. Hopefully tomorrow, because we leave the next day!

Meanwhile, my wife doesn't think showing our 2yo Cars Land on the first day is a good idea -- he might spend the rest of the trip asking to go back. Also we watched some DLR video with him, and he was really excited by the footage of Pirates. So I think my plans are already out the window. We might start the first day with the west side of DL, including Pirates and Tom Sawyer's (and maybe that will let ToonTown move to a morning slot, which would be better for it).

We still haven't finished the survey. Hopefully tomorrow, because we leave the next day!

Meanwhile, my wife doesn't think showing our 2yo Cars Land on the first day is a good idea -- he might spend the rest of the trip asking to go back. Also we watched some DLR video with him, and he was really excited by the footage of Pirates. So I think my plans are already out the window. We might start the first day with the west side of DL, including Pirates and Tom Sawyer's (and maybe that will let ToonTown move to a morning slot, which would be better for it).

Probably the right call, give him some old school adventure in DL to start with! Have a grand time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter