PTR: Minniemoon Mousaversary 2017

losfp

Mouseketeer
2015 trip PTR: http://www.disboards.com/threads/ptr-2015s-usa-trip-the-disneyest-holiday-ever.3301479/
2015 trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/threads/tr-lee-family-mousefest-2015.3468407/

As promised on my last PTR, the planning for the next trip started very quickly!! Actually the first ideas started being discussed during a dinner on the second last night of our Western Caribbean cruise on board the Disney Fantasy, halfway through our 2015 trip!

We had always figured on a 3-year cycle between trips so we could save up money and leave. 2017 would have been lovely as it would be the 10th anniversary year, but we always figured that it was too soon. Well we were loving the Disney cruise so much that we started seriously thinking about doing Alaska so we could recreate our 2007 honeymoon. We even put down a deposit on a next cruise to lock in a discount!

Well, when the schedules and prices for 2017 summer came out, it quickly became clear that we would be priced out of DCL. This was disappointing as we'd enjoyed the Caribbean cruise so much.

My folks were looking at Alaska cruises as well - they had a cruise booked a couple of years ago but cancelled it as it would be around the time that Granddaughter The Younger (or The Hellbeast as we normally call her these days) was due to be born. They looked into prices as well and offered to pay for us to cruise with them to Alaska... as long as it was on Princess, their preferred line. We loved DCL, but with Princess offering a cruise that was literally half the price.. and that went one-way with a stop at Glacier Bay to boot (DCL only had 7-night round trip cruises that didn't cruise Glacier Bay)... it wasn't a hard choice to accept the offer. It would allow my parents the opportunity to spend time with the kids on holiday, and give us babysitting options for when we wanted some alone mum and dad time.

Of course once that was in place, it started getting bigger than Ben Hur. Given the cruise start and finish locations, it would allow us to do the Canadian Rockies and inland Alaska just like we did for our honeymoon back in 2007. Afterwards, of course we had to organise a few days in Anaheim before flying home.

So this is what the trip looks like right now:

Days 1-8 : Fly into Calgary. Stay a couple of nights with a relative in Calgary, then a few days driving in the Canadian Rockies. A few days in Banff, a day or two at Lake Louise, and maybe a day or two up at Jasper before driving down to Vancouver.

Days 9-11 : Vancouver. I liked it when we were there in 2007, lots of things to see and do.

Days 12-18 : Cruise from Vancouver to Anchorage (Whittier)

Days 19-26 : Get a car and drive around in Alaska for about a week. Not sure of the order of stops, will have to work out what is best in terms of driving times, car rental rates etc. Will do a few days near Denali NP, perhaps a day or two in Fairbanks, and a couple of days in Seward.

Days 27-30 : Los Angeles. We want to do a day at Universal, maybe a day shopping and another day at other LA attractions like the La Brea Tar Pits or the Science Centre.

Days 31-36 : Six nights booked into the Grand Californian

Day 37 : Fly home

Right now the only things locked in are the cruise and the nights at the Grand Californian. A bit more research before we confirm the rest.

Sounds like a great trip! We did something similar in June last year but going the other way. Cruise from Vancouver then drive through the Rockies to Calgary finishing off with the Stampede. If you'll be in Calgary during the Stampede, book your accommodation sooner rather than later as it only gets more expensive. If you're considering going to the Stampede, look into the Rodeo and evening show schedule for tickets and again buy them sooner rather than later for better seats. Feel free to ask if you have any specific questions :)

Oh! I forgot to mention when we were going. Mid August to Mid September 2017 - the cruise leaves Vancouver 26 Aug.

That means we miss the Stampede unfortunately. One day!

Just 72 days to go now!! The full itinerary is:

3n Calgary, staying with relatives
3n Banff
2n Lake Louise
2n Jasper, then a long drive in a day to...
3n Vancouver
7n Cruise, Vancouver to Whittier
1n Talkeetna
2n Denali
1n Girdwood
2n Seward
Overnight flight to LA....
2n Hollywood (Magic Castle Hotel)
3n Universal (Hilton Universal)
6n Anaheim (Villas @ Grand Californian)

38 nights in total, really looking forward to it :)

Hi losfsp! Have you narrowed down what you are going to do in LA? We are going in December, we have two days allocated (before we head down to Anaheim for the rest of the trip) and haven't decided what we are going to do yet, so grateful for ideas :)

Well, the first day we will have arrived very early in the morning after an overnight flight from Anchorage. I'm honestly not expecting to achieve much this day, so we might just go and check in, then wander Hollywood Blvd for a bit, go to Madame Toussauds etc.

Day 2: We have brunch booked at the Magic Castle Club. After that we are getting babysitters and then I have tickets to Hamilton at the Pantages Theatre.

Day 3: Transfer to Hilton Universal. Might try and get out to the outlets or to the Science Centre at Exposition Park, or maybe the La Brea Tar Pits.

Day 4: Universal Hollywood

Day 5: Universal Hollywood

Day 6: Transfer to the Grand Californian

So it's really only day 3 that I don't have concrete plans for at this stage.

Your trip sounds amazing. The Alaska part in particular has me green with envy; it's very high on the bucket list.

I know what you mean about being priced out of DCL. I too am a member of that club.

Looking forward to the trip report.

Well, the first day we will have arrived very early in the morning after an overnight flight from Anchorage. I'm honestly not expecting to achieve much this day, so we might just go and check in, then wander Hollywood Blvd for a bit, go to Madame Toussauds etc.

Day 2: We have brunch booked at the Magic Castle Club. After that we are getting babysitters and then I have tickets to Hamilton at the Pantages Theatre.

Day 3: Transfer to Hilton Universal. Might try and get out to the outlets or to the Science Centre at Exposition Park, or maybe the La Brea Tar Pits.

Day 4: Universal Hollywood

Day 5: Universal Hollywood

Day 6: Transfer to the Grand Californian

So it's really only day 3 that I don't have concrete plans for at this stage.

Some good choices in here! We did Universal Hollywood last year - really enjoyed it. Haven't done Madame Toussauds in LA, so that could be a good one whilst checking out walk of fame/Chinese Theatre. Thanks for the ideas :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter