Punishing my family by making them go

Paqratkitty

Earning My Ears
In short, my 2 sons are against this trip, my oldest daughter isnt sure. Looking for advice on how to make this an enjoyable trip and maybe, possibly..hoping to get them to want to go back, but if not..at least remember this as a great trip and not come home saying "I told you this was stupid from the start, I hated it."
"NO characters, no rides...grumble rant complain"
So, not sure what to call this, but I think a few of my family members would agree with the title
*Begin long post...
I have a 20 year old son who was hating the whole trip before it was even planned, his 17 year old brother, not far behind him in thoughts who actually asked where the closest bridge was when I told him about it. My 19 year old daughter who isn't quite sure what to think(and then all their little siblings who the trips going to mostly be for)
I'm very sad I had never just planned a trip before now and their response now is "why do I have to go?"
I've asked all of them what they'd like to do or are even slightly interested in. I have watched the videos, I've been looking up info for literally years. I search adults stuff, I search everything I can think of.
My oldest is...hard to explain. He isn't a stick in the mud, but I guess just likes what he likes...kinda serious. He likes talking to older people more than peers, likes working for people(except his mother haha), loves hanging out with my 2 year old and his 4 year old nephew...for short periods. Doesn't like crowds or kiddie stuff, which right there makes me think the ship has sunk, but then there's Epcot I think he's going to like.
I think all 3 will enjoy epcot, but what about the rest of the parks...characters are out, rides are out...both of which theyll be "punished" with for their siblings anyway.
Lol and sigh.
*(have tent camping reservations for March 18-23, planning to go to all 4 parks. Yes, crappy crowd time but 2 oldest are in college)
All suggestions ( other than don't make them go =p ) appreciated.
Thanks =)

When we were there February 2014, my oldest (of 3 boys) was 16 1/2. He was not into the idea, but wasn't given the choice to opt out. He did like the handful of "thrill" rides and sharing some little kid moments with his (then) 7 year old brother, the youngest. A few times we split up, letting him go off with Dad and do what he wanted. They even left WDW one evening to check out a couple of Orlando attractions.

We are headed back to WDW April 2018 at the request of our middle son, now 15. ( The oldest will not be joining us...he is hoping to have a college co-op job and WDW is definitely not a priority for him. ) My 15 year old was thrilled to find out that, according to Disney, he is old enough to venture out on his own....or even as the over-14 companion required for the soon to be 11 year old.

I am planning for together time but, thanks to PH tickets, assuming that our ADR lunches will include discussions about what everyone wants to do that afternoon/evening, together or otherwise, with all options "on the table."

I am SO excited to be going and think it would such a downer to have the
enthusiasm not shared at least little. I feel for you.

Last edited:
My son hates to be left, but since he is in college, we leave him behind sometimes.

Do you need them to come to help with the younger children? Is there a reason that the older offspring can't stay home?

In short, my 2 sons are against this trip, my oldest daughter isnt sure. Looking for advice on how to make this an enjoyable trip and maybe, possibly..hoping to get them to want to go back, but if not..at least remember this as a great trip and not come home saying "I told you this was stupid from the start, I hated it."
So, not sure what to call this, but I think a few of my family members would agree with the title
*Begin long post...
I have a 20 year old son who was hating the whole trip before it was even planned, his 17 year old brother, not far behind him in thoughts who actually asked where the closest bridge was when I told him about it. My 19 year old daughter who isn't quite sure what to think(and then all their little siblings who the trips going to mostly be for)
I'm very sad I had never just planned a trip before now and their response now is "why do I have to go?"
I've asked all of them what they'd like to do or are even slightly interested in. I have watched the videos, I've been looking up info for literally years. I search adults stuff, I search everything I can think of.
My oldest is...hard to explain. He isn't a stick in the mud, but I guess just likes what he likes...kinda serious. He likes talking to older people more than peers, likes working for people(except his mother haha), loves hanging out with my 2 year old and his 4 year old nephew...for short periods. Doesn't like crowds or kiddie stuff, which right there makes me think the ship has sunk, but then there's Epcot I think he's going to like.
I think all 3 will enjoy epcot, but what about the rest of the parks...characters are out, rides are out...both of which theyll be "punished" with for their siblings anyway.
Lol and sigh.
*(have tent camping reservations for March 18-23, planning to go to all 4 parks. Yes, crappy crowd time but 2 oldest are in college)
Thanks =)

so this is my personal experience. i am 22 years old. i freaking LOVE Disney World. i've never stopped loving it and it has grown even more over the years. i can't stand kids and i am the most impatient person in the world. so Disney would technically be the worst situation for me honestly. BUT i just love it!

you just have to find something they enjoy or at least get them to open up to it. if they really don't want to go, go without them! but make sure you send them TONS of pictures to show them what they're missing! lol

have they been before?

My son hates to be left, but since he is in college, we leave him behind sometimes.

Do you need them to come to help with the younger children? Is there a reason that the older offspring can't stay home?
Yes, they are helping.. but I also was not leaving anyone out since this is our first trip(except my oldest who doesnt live at home anymore, of course she does want to go but has a family and has to work.)

so this is my personal experience. i am 22 years old. i freaking LOVE Disney World. i've never stopped loving it and it has grown even more over the years. i can't stand kids and i am the most impatient person in the world. so Disney would technically be the worst situation for me honestly. BUT i just love it!

you just have to find something they enjoy or at least get them to open up to it. if they really don't want to go, go without them! but make sure you send them TONS of pictures to show them what they're missing! lol

have they been before?
Technically yes....about 17 years ago. My ex's mom took us, we were there for a couple hours and it sucked. We all remember a HUGE crowd during a parade...thats it, I don't even count it as a trip.

Personally, I wouldn’t want to go to Disney World with people who don’t want to go. They would ruin the trip for me.

I have 2 older kids that prefer not to go so they don’t. Fine with me... saves me a ton of money, and my 2 younger kids and I go and have a blast.
First trip I just want us all to go. Again, hoping they want to return but if not, oh well, we did it once.

Thanks =)

I am a Nana now, and my oldest son is 42. We tried to plan a WDW with him included, and even the planning was a nightmare. He really did not want to go, and was using memories from when we apparently scarred him for life at 12 as the basis of his complaints. The complaining was contagious. We scrapped the "family" trip and I left them all behind, and I never looked back. You are asking how to prime two young adults who have already decided to dislike this trip into liking it, and I am afraid that this is not going to happen. You may end up luck and your boys will magically fall in like with WDW, but it is more likely that they will find ways to reinforces their already formed opinions. WDW is not the ideal destination for some young people.

So since leaving them behind is not an option, here is what I would do. I would tell them to knock it off. They are invited on a family vacation and they need to accept gracefully and stop the whining. The issue with this is that you are trying to bring them on a vacation that they do not want to be on, and unless they decide to get with the program they will make your life a living mess.

There can be a change of heart. We took my DH nephew when he was 17 and he really did not want to join us. I have given him a choice: he could come with us or he could stay behind, He was not going to stay in my house without an adult so he had to make alternate arrangements with his Mom, his GM or his uncle. Now he was not my child so he really could not argue staying with a family member and not in the house alone. He did have a good time, however he did have a choice. You do not want to take that chance and give your sons a choice, and I think that is where your plan may backfire. Given the age of your sons I would let them choose to join you or to stay behind, and take my chances. WHen you take away the choice you loose a lot in terms of agreement. No one wants to be left without a voice for themselves.

*Begin long post...
Thanks =)

Are you expecting the grown children to stay with you? To ride the rides and meet the characters with the little ones?? If so, maybe alter the plan to include a set family activity each day (a show, a table service meal, a few rides to start the day together) with the understanding that the older siblings can explore on their own terms the rest of the time. (If my 15 year old that WANTS to go wasn't expecting a little control, he would not be looking forward to it the same way.) If that approach leaves them still firmly negative and resistant, can't help but echo thoughts of Elle23....why pay a fortune to let your fun be dampened?

Mk. Well, I was hoping more along the lines of things people have done, or their not so thrilled kids liked. Thinking maybe I am missing some activities ect they would be interested in..

Are you expecting the grown children to stay with you? To ride the rides and meet the characters with the little ones?? If so, maybe alter the plan to include a set family activity each day (a show, a table service meal, a few rides to start the day together) with the understanding that the older siblings can explore on their own terms the rest of the time. (If my 15 year old that WANTS to go wasn't expecting a little control, he would not be looking forward to it the same way.) If that approach leaves them still firmly negative and resistant, can't help but echo thoughts of Elle23....why pay a fortune to let your fun be dampened?
We usually stay together as a group, just has become our general approach. If they want, they go do their own thing, granted we are usually just camping. After "studying" everything DW the last few years I figured it was just going to be a complete go go go especially with no hopper and so many of us. I've just been trying to get them to show some interest..in anything..hehe

My mother forced me to go on a Disney Trip when I was 16. (Through no fault of her own I was moody and it was the only time in my life I've not loved Disney) and I was such a Witch I made everyone's trip miserable. Being a mother now and remembering how miserable I was on that one trip, I would never do that to myself, or the rest of my family.

I do realize that the "not going" is not an option, but I just wanted to offer you a different perspective.

Mk. Well, I was hoping more along the lines of things people have done, or their not so thrilled kids liked. Thinking maybe I am missing some activities ect they would be interested in..

when are you going? if it's a crowded time, that could affect how they feel about it. i would definitely recommend get Fastpasses for all thrill rides. sometimes there is a plus for no park hopper, since park hopping can take a lot of time. and i would 100% recommend letting them go off on their own. i know you want family time, but they may not be into what you want to do.

when are you going? if it's a crowded time, that could affect how they feel about it. i would definitely recommend get Fastpasses for all thrill rides. sometimes there is a plus for no park hopper, since park hopping can take a lot of time. and i would 100% recommend letting them go off on their own. i know you want family time, but they may not be into what you want to do.
My college kids spring break...yes sucky time! They're not really into thrill rides and actually willing to riding rides with the younger kids. I'm just following and taking pictures. I really do want this to be about them, not me, as it seems.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter