Punishing my family by making them go

Sounds like your olders really enjoy spending time with the young ones. I would make a few things you can all enjoy together as a family a high priority. Maybe a night focused on gathering to watch Happily Ever After, maybe a special meet with Mickey, maybe a fun show like The Lion King all together. If the olders enjoy nature, make sure you carve out enough time for Animal Kingdom. I haven't watched Flights of Wonder in a while (sadly missed it last time because my niece was not patient with shows), but have heard it's pretty awesome. The Safari is pretty neat and all those nature trails are very well done.

I'd also make sure there are times you split up. Let the older ones go for a hike/cane pole fishing/rent bikes in Fort Wilderness while you and your DH take the younger ones for rope drop before all of you joining up again.

Ask the older ones if there are special things they want to do with any of the youngers. e.g. my DD16 was absolutely thrilled to ride Goofy's Barnstormer with my 3 yr old niece. Not that she cares much for the coaster - but she LOVED doing it with her little cousin. I sat in front taking photos and that is still one of my DD's favourite photos.

My DS14 didn't say much before our trip and chose the day we arrived to grumble that "Disney is for kids". He ended up having a great time but I did also give him a bit of space. One time, he was not excited about our dinner plans. So I sent him back to the room (he hopped on the resort bus) to get his own dinner and chill while the rest of us kept going. He wasn't absolutely crazy going back on his own but ultimately preferred it and did it a couple more times on our 2 week trip. The deal was that he would be cheerful and helpful the rest of the time.

5 days is not a whole lot of time so keep your expectations on number of attractions covered on the lower side.

Finally, you said in one of your early posts something along the lines of being "worried about sickos" - for yourself? your older kids? younger kids? what would you expect to do differently at WDW that you wouldn't be doing at home or on vacation anywhere else? Is there something specific you're concerned about?[/QUOTE]

I am always worried about any of my kids being abducted ECT. Someone posted on my other thread about how a child was taken while there.

Whether you are taking one or two vehicles it sound like you have 5 drivers, so that should work for the 25+ hours of driving time, but the drivers are going to arrive a bit wiped out. I’d suggest the day you check in you let the driving children chill at the campsite, ride bikes, listen to nature, decompress while you take the Little’s somewhere to blow off steam. Depending on how many days you have on your magic bands maybe take the younger ones to magic kingdom right away.

Set up before hand what experiences the older ones don’t want to miss with their little siblings, and plan together time around those. Other than that, make sure you have a family meal set up together, and then let the older one’s make their own schedule. I know my college kids need to spend some of their spring breaks on studying, and some on social media to keep up with their classmates.

Also, babies tend to tire out and you may want to take the tiny ones back to the campsite for a nap some afternoon and have the older kids, 9 and up, stay at the parks or hit a water park.

For five days any one can find a good time almost anywhere. I think the older ones won’t find it too boring. Do take into account they need to start school again running, so if they are driving, see if you can relieve them of too many hours on the way home.

In the uk your older kids would all be classed as adults. I was working whilst at college/ university and paying to take my parents away by then. I would leave them at home. Maybe when they have to go into the real world and pay for their own vacations etc they won't be so ungrateful about what an amazing family experience you are trying to provide them with. I can never get over how many posts I see on here from people saying their kids don't want to go and how upset they are making their parents. We didn't have much growing up and never went abroad, instead we had day trips to the seaside but I loved and appreciated it so much. It was two years after university that my boyfriend and I finally saved up for our first trip to Disney World and it will be a full 10 years later that we ( he's now my husband) take our two children to Disney World after saving hard for three years. I'm sorry but they sound spoilt and it would serve them right to be left at home.

I have read your update. When you asked the older ones what they wanted to do, based on the videos you showed them, what did they say?

You fully expect your boys and possibly your daughter to hate this trip, yet you are hauling them along, so do you have a backup plan if they really are miserable? I have been on a trip where one adult hated it, yes...hated Disney. DxDDP, Club Level at the Grand. And she was miserable. Day one, day two, even day three were okay, but by day eight even I was ready to strap her into IASW and would not have looked back. I am warning you that even someone who is trying to hide misery can take the wind out of everyone's sails.

I am still trying to understand a family trip to Disney when no one but the youngsters even wants to be there. I would take the whole family to the beach and be done with it.

They just seem so blah about it. Guess I was hoping to find something that would get a rise out of them, Some excitement. We are only going to be there 5 days, each park then park of choice last day. We've gone camping longer than that so I don't think it's a big deal. They arent "in to" going but they arent like some people in here that would just tell me no and thankfully don't think I'm being as unfair as i havw apparently made myself out to be on here.

Since you are in CO, couldn't you more easily drive to CA? Spend a day or two at Disneyland/California Adventure and the rest camping by the beach? Camping, shorter drive, beach, Disney
Older kids
In the uk your older kids would all be classed as adults. I was working whilst at college/ university and paying to take my parents away by then. I would leave them at home. Maybe when they have to go into the real world and pay for their own vacations etc they won't be so ungrateful about what an amazing family experience you are trying to provide them with. I can never get over how many posts I see on here from people saying their kids don't want to go and how upset they are making their parents. We didn't have much growing up and never went abroad, instead we had day trips to the seaside but I loved and appreciated it so much. It was two years after university that my boyfriend and I finally saved up for our first trip to Disney World and it will be a full 10 years later that we ( he's now my husband) take our two children to Disney World after saving hard for three years. I'm sorry but they sound spoilt and it would serve them right to be left at home.
They probably are spoiled but are good kids =) everyone comments how wonderful my children are and I am proud of that! Anyhow, we pay for their gas, they use our vehicles and live at home. I have absolutely no problem with that as long as they are respectful and continue college.
Sounds like your olders really enjoy spending time with the young ones. I would make a few things you can all enjoy together as a family a high priority. Maybe a night focused on gathering to watch Happily Ever After, maybe a special meet with Mickey, maybe a fun show like The Lion King all together. If the olders enjoy nature, make sure you carve out enough time for Animal Kingdom. I haven't watched Flights of Wonder in a while (sadly missed it last time because my niece was not patient with shows), but have heard it's pretty awesome. The Safari is pretty neat and all those nature trails are very well done.

I'd also make sure there are times you split up. Let the older ones go for a hike/cane pole fishing/rent bikes in Fort Wilderness while you and your DH take the younger ones for rope drop before all of you joining up again.

Ask the older ones if there are special things they want to do with any of the youngers. e.g. my DD16 was absolutely thrilled to ride Goofy's Barnstormer with my 3 yr old niece. Not that she cares much for the coaster - but she LOVED doing it with her little cousin. I sat in front taking photos and that is still one of my DD's favourite photos.

My DS14 didn't say much before our trip and chose the day we arrived to grumble that "Disney is for kids". He ended up having a great time but I did also give him a bit of space. One time, he was not excited about our dinner plans. So I sent him back to the room (he hopped on the resort bus) to get his own dinner and chill while the rest of us kept going. He wasn't absolutely crazy going back on his own but ultimately preferred it and did it a couple more times on our 2 week trip. The deal was that he would be cheerful and helpful the rest of the time.

5 days is not a whole lot of time so keep your expectations on number of attractions covered on the lower side.
I'm planning on taking our time, eating in line, doing ANYTHING the older ones like or the younger ones would be too old for if there's a next time..im trying to be as laid back as possible without missing out..if that makes sense.

I'm just going to add in something here based on my experience as a college student, and as the parent of a college student: When it comes to spring break week, I only wanted to do two things, and my daughter has been the same way every year. She comes home for spring break and says 1. Let me sleep and 2. I need to catch up on my classwork and studying. Your kids who are in college might think the same thing, and not want to go on an exhausting vacation for those two reasons.

I'm confused. Do they want to go or don't they? Why would you buy tickets 6 months out for people who didn't want to go? How to you force an adult to go somewhere they don't want to go?

I have adult children, I would never consider "forcing" (still not sure how you do that) to go on a vacation.

The drive from Colorado to Disney is double the drive from Colorado to Indiana. They aren't comparable.

My college kids spring break...yes sucky time! They're not really into thrill rides and actually willing to riding rides with the younger kids. I'm just following and taking pictures. I really do want this to be about them, not me, as it seems.

If it's all "about them", then why not let "them" do what they want to do, which is to stay home? Just the idea that, in your words, you are punishing your family by making them go says it all. Do you just need babysitters for the smaller children? In that case, just hire a babysitter when you get there.

Things that might interest the olders:

Epcot:
-Behind the Seeds is a relatively low $ that your healthy/nature kid(s) might be interested in and would give them a short break from the littles
-Living with the Land is something they can do with the littles

Hollywood Studios:
-Indiana Jones show may be their style
-Star Tours for all that are big enough: you'd fill almost a whole row and possibly have one of your littles as the rebel spy (which your bigs would probably enjoy from what you have said)

Magic Kingdom:
-Carousel of Progress: If you think your bigs would have any interest in the history of it, while it's dated, there's so much to it
-Jungle Cruise: The punny jokes may hit home with your bigs?
-Tom Sawyer Island: Getting to explore and wander around "nature" themed by Disney

Animal Kingdom:
-Sounds like this park is up the alley of your bigs: conservation station, safari, etc

Outside The Parks:
-Any of the fort activities

I think AK and Epcot will both be a hit or more than "tolerable" with the bigs as you've described them. MK I think they will enjoy the reactions of the littles - a history or fact book can also help to engage the bigs here. Honestly, Hollywood Studios might be worth skipping with your crew right now - there isn't a ton there. If you skip HS you could maybe take one day off and let the bigs go back to epcot or animal kingdom while you take the littles back to MK or just hang out and relax.

Paqratkitty, I just had to jump in here & state that the amount of abuse some of these posters are dishing out is unbelievable! Although the dynamics of the family I grew up in are different than your family, when I was in college if my parents had stated that I was going to go on a family vacation....I would have been going! Everyone keeps harping on how can you make "adults" go on vacation. Yeah, they may legally be adults, but they are still a part of your family, and are students, that changes things. I feel bad that you have had to defend yourself so many times & have had to state (over & over) that while the older kids might not be thrilled, they are willing to go, they are looking forward to things like riding with the little ones, etc. Do yourself a favor and ignore the judge-mental people on this board, some seem to think it's okay to attack others. But getting back to your actual question, my bet is that your oldest son will LOVE Animal Kingdom, Epcot, and Ft Wilderness itself. He may also enjoy going over to Wilderness Lodge and learning about Walt's love of trains and the displays that they have there. Best wishes for a terrific family vacation, I think when all is said & done, everyone will be happy that they went!

If it's all "about them", then why not let "them" do what they want to do, which is to stay home? Just the idea that, in your words, you are punishing your family by making them go says it all. Do you just need babysitters for the smaller children? In that case, just hire a babysitter when you get there.
Her use of the word, punishing.....ever heard of sarcasm?

Her use of the word, punishing.....ever heard of sarcasm?
In short, my 2 sons are against this trip, my oldest daughter isnt sure. Looking for advice on how to make this an enjoyable trip and maybe, possibly..hoping to get them to want to go back, but if not..at least remember this as a great trip and not come home saying "I told you this was stupid from the start, I hated it."
"NO characters, no rides...grumble rant complain"
So, not sure what to call this, but I think a few of my family members would agree with the title
*Begin long post...
I have a 20 year old son who was hating the whole trip before it was even planned, his 17 year old brother, not far behind him in thoughts who actually asked where the closest bridge was when I told him about it. My 19 year old daughter who isn't quite sure what to think(and then all their little siblings who the trips going to mostly be for)
I'm very sad I had never just planned a trip before now and their response now is "why do I have to go?"
Actually, it doesn't sound like sarcasm at all. It sounds like the older ones don't want to go, at all.

Now, can she make them go? Sure. I "make" my adult son do all sorts of things. How? He just knows that I will be disappointed with him. And he doesn't want that. I can assure you that he doesn't want to take out the trash, empty the dishwasher, run the vac or even make runs to the store. He would rather hang with buddies, surf the net or sleep all day.

That said, I couldn't imagine spending a thousand dollars or so, and making him go to Disney. For one, he loves to go. Yes, even as a 22 year old. Two, I would think about why I want him to go, if he didn't want to go. And if I needed him there, I would own up to that.

It really comes down to this. Why would you drag young adults on a vacation that they didn't want to go on?

I was 20 the first time we went to Disney, and my sister was 10. A large part of what made the trip so special and so unique was experiencing it through her eyes. That could be something to point out. It sounds like your family is close and the older kids care about the younger ones. Maybe instead of pitching the trip as you'll have so much fun doing xyz ( which they may or may not), pitch it as won't it be really cool when your younger brother gets to do... or won't it be funny to see your sisters reaction to ... I think of it kind of like Christmas. When you are little you are so excited to get presents. When you get older, you are just as excited if not more so to watch someone open a special present from you.

It sounds like the trip is set, paid for, and it isn't an option if they go or not. At this point, I'd just sit down and have a talk with them. Look I need your help, I want us all to spend some time as a family, please respect my decision, this trip isn't about you, we are doing what you want this summer. The trip will be what they make it. They don't have to be doing something exciting to have fun playing with their younger siblings. That's the angle I'd go with, help me make this special for the younger ones.

For instance, I once read about a lady who would throw little fake jewelry to her kids whenever they watched Mickey Philharmagic so they thought it was coming out of the screen during a specific scene. Her kids thought it was the coolest thing that this Disney show threw you jewels. Maybe the older kids could help you with little exciting surprises like that. It could be fun for them to plan and execute and see their siblings reactions. I've set up scavenger hunts for my sister before and that was a lot of fun.

I'd also remind them that you don't know if you like something or not if you haven't tried it. I hear people say all the time they wouldn't like Disney because they don't like the fair, or Six Flags. Great, the rides at Disney ae nothing like the rides at either one. I'd just ask them to keep an open mind and tell them if after the morning or first few days they are miserable they can stay at the campground or take the car somewhere else, maybe gatorland if they are interested in the Everglades. We compromise when we have a big group. We try to stay together in the morning, eat lunch together, than everyone can go their own way after dinner. We have one who would never leave the hotel if we didn't make her.

Some things they may be interested in:

Living with the Land
info on hydroponic gardening, one of the adult males in our group found the ride extremely fascinating
The younge kids enjoyed it because they liked looking for all the hidden mickeys hidden among the plants

Spaceship Earth
Educational and the kids were fascinated by it

Mission Space
Again big hit with the guys, apparently one's life time ambition was to go to the moon, made his ears come true!

All of AK I think would be good. It's a zoo. Do they hate going to the zoo? The Lion King show is great for all ages. The Safari is more animals. Dinosaur is an awesome ride. Do they enjoy dinosaur movies like Jurassic Park?

Anyone a Star Wars fan? We love watching the little kids train to be Jedi, very entertaining. I'm sure they would get a big laugh out of watching younger siblings do that.

Meals are fun, maybe try for some of the meals with shows, like the luau or the hoedown. Fireworks are usually good for all ages as well.

Try some of the Disney scavenger hunt games (Sorcerers, Pirates Adv. and Agent P)

Have a hidden Mickey contest and whoever gets the most you buy a small souvenir or something.

They might be interested in riding the steam train.

Maybe a waterpark day. Do they like to swim?

Horseback riding or roasting marshmallows around the campire at Fort Wilderness.

Fishing trip.

Hiking.

Archery lesson.

Rent boats, canoes, kayaks, jet skis, or bikes.

Go parasailing, tubing, or water skiing.

Surfing lessons.

Take a ride on the vintage car boats at DS.

Go up in the hot air balloon.

Go scuba diving at Epcot.

AK behind the scenes tour.

Get the kitchen sink at Beaches and cream.

Try the different flavors of coke in Epcot.

Spa visit for maybe you and older daughter.

Take a trip WL and watch the geyser erupt.

Watch the electrical water patent from the WL dock. No big crowds here.

Plan a picnic for Tim Sawyers Island away from the crowds.

Outside of Disney, maybe let the older kids go off in the afternoons or one day.

See the manatees.

Day trip to Everglades.

Visit an orange grove.

Kennedy Space center.

Go to the beach.

Visit a local nature park or preserve.

Go geocaching.

Visit gatorland.

Take an Airboat cruise.

Go to the movies or a favorite restaurant.

Actually, it doesn't sound like sarcasm at all. It sounds like the older ones don't want to go, at all.

Now, can she make them go? Sure. I "make" my adult son do all sorts of things. How? He just knows that I will be disappointed with him. And he doesn't want that. I can assure you that he doesn't want to take out the trash, empty the dishwasher, run the vac or even make runs to the store. He would rather hang with buddies, surf the net or sleep all day.

That said, I couldn't imagine spending a thousand dollars or so, and making him go to Disney. For one, he loves to go. Yes, even as a 22 year old. Two, I would think about why I want him to go, if he didn't want to go. And if I needed him there, I would own up to that.

It really comes down to this. Why would you drag young adults on a vacation that they didn't want to go on?
I'd hardly compare taking a family vacation to Florida to taking out the trash, emptying the dishwasher, running the vacuum, or doing errands at the store. Stop the condescending, judge-mental, abusive verbiage towards this woman who is simply asking for advice on activities - geez...

Someone else made a point about college work, I have two in college, they spend a good chunk of spring break getting work done. I can’t imagine trying to get it done in a tent or in a van full of kids. I understand why the OP wants this vacation, but I think the older kids should’ve been consulted before everything was booked.

Someone else made a point about college work, I have two in college, they spend a good chunk of spring break getting work done. I can’t imagine trying to get it done in a tent or in a van full of kids. I understand why the OP wants this vacation, but I think the older kids should’ve been consulted before everything was booked.

Exactly. It sounds like the OP's dream but no one else's.

One of the easiest ways to be miserable is to try to force something. I'm afraid the OP is going to force this vacation, and it will in no way match her expectations. It seems like it is impossible for it to.

I'd hardly compare taking a family vacation to Florida to taking out the trash, emptying the dishwasher, running the vacuum, or doing errands at the store. Stop the condescending, judge-mental, abusive verbiage towards this woman who is simply asking for advice on activities - geez...
That depends. If the drive down is straight through for 2 days, I'd rather take out the trash, empty the dishwasher, etc.

That depends. If the drive down is straight through for 2 days, I'd rather take out the trash, empty the dishwasher, etc.
Like you, I am also not a fan of long road trips...at all. However, I have several friends & relatives that swear by them. According to them they play games, have lots of time to bond, talk, & just spend time together. Me? I prefer jumping on a plane, but each to their own!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!