Purchased 50 pts BW .. can I switch??

I researched amount of points needed , how/when to book, cost, and lots and lots of other things... but no, I did not think to ask how many room types are in a particular resort. I guess that one did not cross my mind. I actually did ask which room type gets booked the most and four that studio does. So I figured I’d be at least a little better off needing a 2bd. Come to find out BWV is a weird setup.. idk who would’ve thought to ask that.

I hear you. We purchased AKV (resale) without touring the different resorts. I had only ever stayed at OKW so one of the things I did was look at floor plans and room photos and sleeping arrangements. Since we're a family of 5, our primary consideration was sleeping 5 in a 1BR which limited our choices.

The studio side of the BWV lock-off does have a pull-down murphy bed that can accommodate younger kids or even a smaller adult. We plan for 2BRs at BWV for a while since we'll have 1-2 kids and one of them should be able to easily sleep in the murphy bed for years (and one will be in a crib/pack-n-play for a while anyway). With 4 kids, that setup probably doesn't work as well unless some kids are happy in the sleeper sofas. We prefer BWV for a variety of reasons over BCV but if the bed situation is important to you, it'd be best to go for a home resort that does have dedicated 2BRs. I don't think it's worth keeping direct points that you don't intend to use at the 11 month window and would rather use elsewhere at 7 months, since resale is a better value for the older resorts. Who knows, you could really like a future resort and end up buying some points there direct for the perks!

I hear you. We purchased AKV (resale) without touring the different resorts. I had only ever stayed at OKW so one of the things I did was look at floor plans and room photos and sleeping arrangements. Since we're a family of 5, our primary consideration was sleeping 5 in a 1BR which limited our choices.

As of right now only AKV, BLT and OKW has the ability to sleep 5 in a 1 bedroom so that does limit your choices. AKV and BLT have the bonus of having the extra bathroom though. Now there are several resorts that allow 5 in a studio, cramped as that might be, there is that flexibility.

As of right now only AKV, BLT and OKW has the ability to sleep 5 in a 1 bedroom so that does limit your choices. AKV and BLT have the bonus of having the extra bathroom though. Now there are several resorts that allow 5 in a studio, cramped as that might be, there is that flexibility.
You forgot VGF. Sleeps 5 natively in a 1BR.

I think you should keep your 50 points at BWV, and you were lucky to get them "under the wire". As mentioned above, there was no doubt someone after you on the waitlist, who missed out.
This will give a real opportunity to use the RAT, see how quickly rooms fill up and become unavailable, and have full benefits. You have a lot left to learn, and now you will have full access to that info. Many people don't know much when they buy in, even the first several years.
(I'll never forget the DVC member who :furious:complained they had owned at OKW for 13 years, and were :furious:FURIOUS they couldn't get into Aulani, room size and dates they wanted, as if it would just be sitting there empty waiting for them. They had owned for 13 years!!! They apparently thought just being a DVC member meant they could stay any resort, anytime they wanted, any room configuration they wanted.)

It can take some time and trying to use your membership to learn it all. I bought in only knowing what the guide told me. It never occurred to me to ask sleeping configurations, so I understand why it didn't occur to you. I didn't know about Disboards, which has proved a valuable resource. I didn't know there was a resale market. Learned that on Disboards too. (Not computer savvy either, didn't know how to research it online.) Now you can access the RAT, and already know about Disboards, so you will be able to learn the rest you need to know to make the best choice for your resale 350 points. Take your time and continue to learn. I think your $1800 figure of saving on 6 APs is way off. Don't know where you got that figure.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

...I think your $1800 figure of saving on 6 APs is way off. Don't know where you got that figure.

I'm guessing the $300 savings per pass is an approximation between the DVC Gold pass and a public Platinum pass. If you never go during the blackout periods, it's a reasonable estimate.

In my opinion, I think you should probably cancel your order... And that is coming from someone who loves Boardwalk. If everything was equal, that is definitely where I would have bought, but I just couldn't get past the 2042 expiration date. If I were you I would pick a resort with a longer expiration and buy 75 direct points there (maybe BLT or AK since your preference is for 2 bedrooms). Then, when you can, add on a contract at beach club. This way when your beach club points expire you will still have a contract grandfathered in. I just do not see the difference between 50 and 75 points direct justifying being locked into a resort that doesn't quite work for your family, especially when it is one of the priciest resorts per point/years remaining.

I think you should keep your 50 points at BWV, and you were lucky to get them "under the wire". As mentioned above, there was no doubt someone after you on the waitlist, who missed out.
This will give a real opportunity to use the RAT, see how quickly rooms fill up and become unavailable, and have full benefits. You have a lot left to learn, and now you will have full access to that info. Many people don't know much when they buy in, even the first several years.
(I'll never forget the DVC member who :furious:complained they had owned at OKW for 13 years, and were :furious:FURIOUS they couldn't get into Aulani, room size and dates they wanted, as if it would just be sitting there empty waiting for them. They had owned for 13 years!!! They apparently thought just being a DVC member meant they could stay any resort, anytime they wanted, any room configuration they wanted.)

It can take some time and trying to use your membership to learn it all. I bought in only knowing what the guide told me. It never occurred to me to ask sleeping configurations, so I understand why it didn't occur to you. I didn't know about Disboards, which has proved a valuable resource. I didn't know there was a resale market. Learned that on Disboards too. (Not computer savvy either, didn't know how to research it online.) Now you can access the RAT, and already know about Disboards, so you will be able to learn the rest you need to know to make the best choice for your resale 350 points. Take your time and continue to learn. I think your $1800 figure of saving on 6 APs is way off. Don't know where you got that figure.
Excellent info!! Thank you.. and really right on.. what makes you say that I’m off in my AP savings? We always get the platinum pass.

Unless you only want a standard view viila, you are not going to have trouble booking a 2 bedroom villa as long as you book when the 11 month window opens. Many times of the year, 2 bedroom pool/garden view villas are still available when the 7 month window opens.

Excellent info!! Thank you.. and really right on.. what makes you say that I’m off in my AP savings? We always get the platinum pass.
Platinum Pass is $849 for general public, $729 for DVC members. 849-729=120 x 6=720 + .065% tax =$766.80 savings

edit: looks like DVC Gold could save you $1661.40. Not too shabby!

Last edited:
Platinum Pass is $849 for general public, $729 for DVC members. 849-729=120 x 6=720 + .065% tax =$766.80 savings

edit: looks like DVC Gold could save you $1661.40. Not too shabby!
I see... but I’d take the gold pass which I can now get as a DVC member which is $500. They said they’d give me the renewal price.

Additional thoughts:

My understanding is that BCV points are scarce. Even if policy allowed the switch, I don't think they have the points to give you.

If you want to rent your points, you will need to have enough to fill somebody's request. Too few points might be hard to rent out.

Last edited:
I have to ask...are you the poster in one of the FB DVC groups that wanted to buy initially at Poly to get access to the perks but we all talked you off the ledge to buy there for a family of 6? If you are, I think this 50 point BWV purchase might've been an impulse buy just to get access to the perks. If you really can't do much with them or even want BWV as a home resort, I would just rescind. I don't think they will make an exception just because you didn't do enough research about room categories.

I have to ask...are you the poster in one of the FB DVC groups that wanted to buy initially at Poly to get access to the perks but we all talked you off the ledge to buy there for a family of 6? If you are, I think this 50 point BWV purchase might've been an impulse buy just to get access to the perks. If you really can't do much with them or even want BWV as a home resort, I would just rescind. I don't think they will make an exception just because you didn't do enough research about room categories.
Haha!!! Super sleuthin! Yes!! We are all good! Somebody up above posted about banking and borrowing to make a stay at BW every 3 years which made sense to us! We can add on at BC or somewhere else to supplement the in between! These boards and groups give so much help!!

If your willing to buy 50 points direct at BWV, but don't like the way the resort rooms are setup. Then paying for an additional 25 points direct at the resort you want isn't that much more in cost over the life of the contract. So I vote for rescinding the 50 point direct purchase and buying 75 direct at the resort you want.

I believe David's Rental Site has a lot of information on the room configurations at each resort, and most resorts have different room configurations. The Animal Kingdom Villas at Jambo and Kidani have very different configurations depending on which building you are staying at. So you should look into each and every resort before purchasing there.

We are a family of 5 and love the Poly, but didn't like the all studio configuration of the rooms and the non-guaranted connecting rooms for our kids, so we bought else where.

Good luck with your decision either way, and always ask questions if you are confused, DIS forums have a wealth of knowledgeable members.

Last edited:
Hello... my husband and I Purchased 50 pts just under the wire on Saturday at the BW to meet the new criteria for perks. We are a family of six and will require no less than a two bedroom or two studios. I would prefer a two bedroom and from what I am reading I guess they are a little easier to secure anyway. I originally wanted the beach club but that wasn’t available. What I didn’t realize was that the boardwalk only had lock off two bed units... so basically when all the studios are gone the two beds are gone. We’d like to add on in the future but don’t see us now adding on at BW due to availability of the 2 bed. We haven’t signed papers yet but paid our deposit.
I called our guide this morning and asked if we could just switch our 50 pts to BC and still keep our 50 points with perks. We’d like to add on probably 300-350 in the near future but at BC. The BW will probably be useless to us (in a way)... except to combine at 7 months.
She said it would become a new contract and have to be 75 minimum points.

Here’s my question... can they do the 50 if the WANTED at BC? You know what I mean? A little pixie dust so to speak.. seeing as we put money down Saturday? I hope you get my gist.. I know “technically” it would be a new contract but wondering what your thoughts are?

Of course they can. They are the developer. But will they? Unlikely.

If this gets rescinded I feel bad for whomever was behind you on the waitlist. I know I talked to my guide at 3:50 and after finding out I was SOL on my waitlist he told me there were no points anywhere in any use year other than ccv or aulani.

If this gets rescinded I feel bad for whomever was behind you on the waitlist. I know I talked to my guide at 3:50 and after finding out I was SOL on my waitlist he told me there were no points anywhere in any use year other than ccv or aulani.
3:50 huh... ? Hmmm, weird... after I said I took them at 3:45 earlier to your response. I was also told no bc points on Saturday and I had been on a waitlist....and come to find out someone got 50 points without ever being on a waitlist. I wouldn’t say we are dealing with the most honest people. Dis boards and fb groups are full of people talking about getting lied to and shifty practices,etc. I’m just trying to do the BEST I can for my family while trying to navigate that. Who knows what they REALLY can and can’t do. The boards are full of contradictions. I’ll never be sorry for asking

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!