QS only or last minute TS..

alyssa18o6

Disney Obsessed.
We're usually quick service lunch and table service dinner kind of people... We're going to be traveling with our 10month old on our next trip, and babies have their own schedule.. I thought about just not booking ADR's and winging it with whats available that day. Or doing just quick services, as it's something we have never done and might be fun! Suggestions? I know i've read a few times that you'd be surprised whats available last minute, also it might be fun to try new things.

We did a quick service dining plan one trip. Maybe it's because we were there for 9 nights, but we really started to miss having a sit down dinner at night, so we started booking dinners day of towards end of trip. If you can be flexible with times/places there are usually a few good options. You can probably find some early dinners. :)

So (for fun!) I just checked last minute reservations for today and tomorrow - tons!!!

On our last trip specifically, we were pleasantly surprised with how many restaurants in Epcot's World Showcase we were able to just walk into. We decided to see if there was any availability at Via Napoli for lunch without a reservation and we were seated immediately. Later on, our Hacienda de San Angel reservation wasn't until a little later, but when we asked if they could seat us sooner, we were also seated immediately! Many resort TS restaurants tend to have tons of same-day availability as well. Good luck!

We’re happy to do quick service meals for our long trips. There’s lots of variety out there. :)
It feels great not to be tied to an ADR.

On our last trip specifically, we were pleasantly surprised with how many restaurants in Epcot's World Showcase we were able to just walk into. We decided to see if there was any availability at Via Napoli for lunch without a reservation and we were seated immediately. Later on, our Hacienda de San Angel reservation wasn't until a little later, but when we asked if they could seat us sooner, we were also seated immediately! Many resort TS restaurants tend to have tons of same-day availability as well. Good luck!

Now that you say that... I think the ONLY time we've ever not been able to get in "early" for a reservation is at Sci-Fi, every other time they have seated us early. I think we might wing it :)

We’re happy to do quick service meals for our long trips. There’s lots of variety out there. :)
It feels great not to be tied to an ADR.

Yes! We always struggle with picking our QS meals cause we do have so many favorites. Atleast this time we would be able to try and get them all in!

While we didn’t do a Disney trip when our son was that little, we found traveling with an under 1 to be easiest. He nursed when hungry, when he would sleep I’d just wear him and we would go about our sightseeing, when we needed to drive, well, i never got into the “don’t disturb the baby” thing and he would just fall back asleep when I would put him into or take him out of the car seat.

The LAST thing I would want to do with a baby would be to hit a long line for qs just when the adults are hungry, or to try to figure out a TS. I would rather have a TS planned, and just make it happen. Feed baby while we eat or while on the way to the TS, or whenever baby needed milky meal (or formula or whatever you’re doing), and have the sit down planned for us. (While knowing that one might sit while the other stands and rocks and eats one handed lol)

While we didn’t do a Disney trip when our son was that little, we found traveling with an under 1 to be easiest. He nursed when hungry, when he would sleep I’d just wear him and we would go about our sightseeing, when we needed to drive, well, i never got into the “don’t disturb the baby” thing and he would just fall back asleep when I would put him into or take him out of the car seat.

The LAST thing I would want to do with a baby would be to hit a long line for qs just when the adults are hungry, or to try to figure out a TS. I would rather have a TS planned, and just make it happen. Feed baby while we eat or while on the way to the TS, or whenever baby needed milky meal (or formula or whatever you’re doing), and have the sit down planned for us. (While knowing that one might sit while the other stands and rocks and eats one handed lol)

Alot of the QS have mobile ordering now! When we went when I was crazy pregnant it was super nice, i'd go sit down at the table and my husband would grab our food. He said there would be a tiny wait, like less than 5 minutes, and then he'd have the food.

My man concern with planning a head a TS, is if she falls asleep. You can't bring strollers into the TS, and we'd have to wake her up and it just sounds like a nightmare.

For park QS meals we only eat extensively at Epcot where there are so many choices for the taste of all.
Sommerfest, Yorkshire County, Katsuri Grill, and the Moroccan/Medi QS are all great at this price point. Despised the Chinese egg rolls at the truck outside the China Pavilion and threw them in the garbage. On the other hand decided to try a few dishes at 9 Dragons this trip w/o an ADR, and we love Tokyo Dining and Via Napoli as 1 TS eateries. I would get an ADR for VN at anytime of the day and same for TD at dinner.

At HS, the rest of the family enjoyed a QS impromptu meal @ ABC Commissary. They had a rib and chicken platter and salmon dish. I wasn't hungry so just enjoyed the comfy seats and A/C. Other could return to QS meals were purchased at Rosie's (burgers) and Catalina Eddie's (Caesar salad). They were exactly what you'd expect at that price and I had no complaints.

We rarely eat at MK but once shared turkey legs (yes the plastic knife will cut the meat from the bone) from Tortuga Inn, and green salads from Liberty Sq Market. The market also has fresh fruit, yogurt and similar foods. You can find a similar QS market at AK by the name of Mr. Harambe's as well. Flaming Tree BBB (think it's QS) has some nice choices.

Up until recently we tended toward QS meals for Continental breakfasts at our resort (light and healthy) but decided to try CL rooms this trip and get the same foods in a more spacious space, with better hot beverages (the refillable coffee at the resorts is hellaciously bad IMHO) . Ultimately paying the higher room rate may be worth it to get a bit of peace in the morning before walking up the juvenile truly slowwwwww "Bickersons".

Alot of the QS have mobile ordering now! When we went when I was crazy pregnant it was super nice, i'd go sit down at the table and my husband would grab our food. He said there would be a tiny wait, like less than 5 minutes, and then he'd have the food.

My man concern with planning a head a TS, is if she falls asleep. You can't bring strollers into the TS, and we'd have to wake her up and it just sounds like a nightmare.

You'll probably know her sleeping habits by 10 months and can gear your eating time accordingly. Make a few 1TS ADRs and you can always cancel if it doesn't work out.

By 10 months both of mine were/are on pretty consistent nap schedules so it is easier to plan TS times and not risk them falling asleep in the stroller. I have travelled to WDW four times with baby/toddler ages and have found TS lunch to be best because we are ready to be out of the heat by then and the break is nice. QS crowds seem to be consistently high from 11:30-1:30 (versus dinner where the crowd is more spread out) so it is nice not to have to hunt for a table while juggling a tray, kids, bags, drinks, etc. On our trip last month we used mobile order several times and it did help at QS but we enjoyed having one TS meal a day planned in advance.

When traveling my kids sleep schedules would change too. Waking up a sleeping baby to go eat is a nightmare if they aren't ready to wake up.

I say wing it. I sometimes look on the app for day of ADRs and even during Easter week Ohana, BOG and Chef Mickey's have all shown up. Next trip we are going for 9 nights and only doing 3 ADRs. The rest we are winging and we have no small children with us.

I have always had luck getting ADRs while on site, either the day before or day of. I do book some in advance and while I don't have a 10 month old anymore, I also don't like the feeling of having every minute plan. Most often they pop right up, some of the harder ones take some doing but I usually have a good choice even a few hours beforehand by checking on the app.

I think after going back and forth we're going to just last minute grab some reservations. We might do 1-2 TS ADRs but thats it.

With a 10 month old, doing QS makes a lot of sense. You might try a few last minute TS if things are going well.
EPCOT, AK have really good options for QS.
MK Columbia Harbour House and Pecos Bills are good choices.
HS - not many good options.

With a 10 month old, doing QS makes a lot of sense. You might try a few last minute TS if things are going well.
EPCOT, AK have really good options for QS.
MK Columbia Harbour House and Pecos Bills are good choices.
HS - not many good options.

My plan for HS is to go to Beaches & Cream! I've been wanting to go forever, and hate the idea of traveling to a resort to get there. Seems like the perfect opportunity.

My plan for HS is to go to Beaches & Cream! I've been wanting to go forever, and hate the idea of traveling to a resort to get there. Seems like the perfect opportunity.

You definitely want to book Beaches and Cream if you want to eat there. That one rarely pops up with last minute availability. The restaurant is just so, so small.

That being said, as long as you're flexible, there are quite a few last minute reservations available. I noticed quite a few with availability when I'd look on the app. And at the same time, I totally agree with others who have said that it's nice to not be tied down to an ADR and just find a nice counter service that you like when you're ready to eat.

Surprisingly, on the last two trips, last minute (a day or two out) showed up. Several months in advance in October we'd booked the only ADR available. But then family illness occurred and I headed off alone. Cancelled our ADR, but then DH joined me on the third day and voila an ADR was available on the 4th and 6th day.
In May, we couldn't get an ADR several months out, but the day beforehand, there was one.

Like others we've always had choices available that day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!