Quarantine and chill and kindness chatty clubhouse: Jump in and join the conversation! All is welcome!

Happy Monday to all :flower2:As an FYI to anyone interested (I've been waiting for a while)Oriental Trading is offering for 2 days free shipping on any order (no minimum) Enter promo code CE201355

Grateful to have had two nice phone conversations yesterday, some emails and PM's and will work on some snail mail later. I am still waiting on some postcard stamps to be sent to me from the USPS. When they do come I'd be happy to send out a few postcards to friends in this thread. PM me :)

I'm finally getting a chance to sit down and catch up with our thread! Welcome, Kirby!

Thank you to all for the suggestions for the little monkey. He seemed better over the weekend but he's back to his normal rude self today. DH is taking tomorrow off to get a few things done...I don't know why he's better with DH but he is. So I'll get a break from the attitude tomorrow.

Pea-n-Me, your photos are beautiful! I love flower photos...I take a ton of those myself. They're cheerful.

Lynxstch, this is the recipe for the pie...

Ingredients
  • 2-3/4 cups crushed pretzel sticks ****
  • 1 cup sugar, divided
  • 3/4 cup butter, melted
  • 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
  • 1/4 cup cold water
  • 1 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream, divided
  • 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
  • Additional crushed pretzel sticks, optional
Directions
  • Preheat oven to 350°. Combine crushed pretzels and 1/3 cup sugar with melted butter. Using the bottom of a glass, press onto bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Bake until set, 12-15 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.
  • Meanwhile, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand 5 minutes. Beat peanut butter, softened butter, cream cheese and remaining sugar until smooth. Gradually beat in 1/2 cup cream. Microwave gelatin on high until melted, about 10 seconds; stir into peanut butter mixture. Transfer to crust.
  • Microwave chocolate chips and remaining cream on high; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. Spread chocolate mixture over peanut butter mixture. If desired, top with additional crushed pretzels. Refrigerate, covered, until set, about 3 hours.
****I followed the directions to the letter and there is WAY too much crust! If I ever make this again, I might stop at 2 cups of the crushed pretzels. This is a photo of mine B.C. (before cutting ;) ):

MVIMG_20200731_125848.jpg

I *think* DH had a good birthday. Being a dad, he had to drive us around for errands in the morning. Then after lunch, he set up Josh's pool outside and they played for a few hours. We got Chinese for dinner, then opened gifts and had some pie. Sunday morning we braved the grocery store. Why does literally EVERYONE bunch up in the bread aisle? I was trying to look for the apricot preserves that I need for a recipe and was getting nasty comments from people about being in the way :confused3 After that, we went up to my in-laws for a visit. Nobody noticed that my 83-year-old FIL was sitting in a flimsy, wobbly chair until he suddenly was on the ground, feet in the air, head on the concrete steps behind him. He said he was okay; he had a good-sized scrape on his knee and I thought there was a spot of red next to his eye (from hitting it, not a scrape). My BIL arrived right then, so between me, DH, BIL, and SIL, we got him back up. So scary when an elderly person falls. I reminded DH that we should call tonight and make sure he's okay.

There were some dragonflies hanging around my MIL hydrangeas, so I got a few good photos of them, too...

IMG_20200802_120601.jpg

IMG_20200802_120024378.jpg

IMG_20200802_120832.jpg

Today I had so many cucumbers from my SIL that I worked on making refrigerator pickles. Then I cut up 3 "magda zucchinis" to marinate in Italian dressing (her suggestion)...will bake them later with parmesan cheese. Ironing, laundry, Josh's state project...finally sitting down and watching The Planets with Mike Massimino on the Science Channel! Tonight we'll have some of that baked squash with "Buffalo Chicken Salad."

QOTD for 8/1: What was your (or your kids) favorite thing to do at the park or playground?

I have to think back to elementary school because things were different then than now! I remember this big round climbing structure that we had...not a dome, though. It was a big tall pole in the middle with 3 sets of prongs going outward from it. Around the outside, there were 2 or 3 big rings on the bottom "level," then 2 or 3 smaller ones above that, then 2 small ones on top. It was pretty large, or so I thought at the time. Probably wasn't as high up as I remember. And of course I loved the swings. Everyone did. If you weren't one of the first kids out there, you didn't get a swing. They were those old black rubber things that ruined many a pair of pants, too. My mother was so mad about that that she told me to find something else to do at recess.

Loved playing dodgeball, too.

Josh likes climbing the rock wall, if there is one. Anything that has to do with climbing. He always wants me to go down the slides with him, too (and I do! I'm the only mom who actually gets up there and plays with my kid!)

QOTD for 8/1: What was your (or your kids) favorite thing to do at the park or playground?

I used to love playing both hopscotch and jacks. Sometimes on the school playground, other times on the back porch.

It's crazy that Aug is here. I'm just about done rearranging the kitchen. It's much more functional for cooking. I don't have as much cabinet space as I have had in the past, but I'm making it work. So yay!

@apirateslifeforme I enjoyed your photos. That looks like a delicious pie!🥧

@Bianca and Bernard Those biscuits! They must have been amazing.

@Kirby Welcome to our friendly chatty group. 🌺

Hope everyone has a nice rest of your Monday.

QOTD 8/3 - What is your favorite thing about August?

When I was a kid, my favorite thing about August was the county fair! We lived in the town where it was held, so there was a special atmosphere for the whole week (and a few days before as well). I loved everything about it - the rides, the food, the crafts... there was watermelon eating contest for the kids, and a bicycle drawing we looked forward to every year. (I never won the bike, but did know someone who did!)

QOTD---What is your favorite thing about August?
I don't really have a favorite thing about August! It's usually the hottest month for us (but it will have to go some to beat July this year!). It just means it's closer to the end of summer, and normally we would be planning our vacation trip to Ocean City for the end of Sept/beginning of Oct in August, but not this year. We don't feel it's safe to travel just yet, and Ocean City has had too many positive cases for us to consider it yet. It means the garden will be nearing the end of it's season, and it seems like it just got started. Also means we have to start thinking about ordering wood for the winter.

Did weedwacking this morning, cleaned the gutters this afternoon, just in case we get any of the tropical storm rain heading towards the other end of the state. Was too tired to cook tonite. so we hit up Bella Napoli and got their spaghetti and meatball dinners. Holy Smokes..we got 2 dinners, and there is enough for about 8 people. 4 HUGE meatballs in each container plus a mountain of spaghetti. Came with soft garlic breadsticks and a side salad. We only ate 1/2 of one container, so we will have last nite's leftover brisket for dinner 2 nites, and spaghetti and meatballs for at least 2 more. I won't have to do much cooking, lol! Raining lightly here, but temp is only 75 so it's bearable!
Have a great evening everyone..stay safe if you are in the path of Isaias!

QOTD 8/3 - What is your favorite thing about August?

I just Googled "August flower" and see lovely gladiolus pictures! I love how by this time in Summer, God's flowers and trees are in full bloom, so pretty :)

Speaking of flowers, as a call-out to some awesome photographers on here, for the kindness project I am working on that I have shared with some of you, I could use an Easter Lily photo! To anyone who may have some Sanctuary/choir loft at church photos please PM me. Thank you!

Thanks, PollyannaMom for asking the QOTD! Your county fair sounds like so much fun! I would love to (in non plague times) enjoy a smaller town county fair. I did go to one once when I lived in Northern, CA

Jasper does not like to have his picture taken. He turns his head or runs and hides. Silly guy! He is a Silky Terrier.

Disney Candy Land is played the same as regular Candy Land except the lands are named after the lands in MK and the characters like Snow White and the 7 dwarfs are on the board. The kids love it.

My favorite thing about August is my younger DS's birthday. Also, I like that it is only one more month until the beginning of Fall.

DH picked up chicken burritos at Market Basket for supper. Just heat and eat. He had salad with it and I had cut fruit. Monday is my long work day now so I appreciate an easy supper.

I love the pictures of the dragonflies and flowers. Dragonflies my favorites in the summer, so pretty. They remind me of growing up when we went to the lake. Dragonflies were all over the place.

Happy Monday ya'll,

It has been busy few days. I had my friends 13 year old girl twins over on Friday. Saturday was grocery shopping, cleaning and long nap.
Sunday, we had Mass online, watched a movie, and had a fun outing to a flower farm. It was simply beautiful. Small and charming and I can't wait to go back! Here are some pictures.

Today, I worked on organizing and trying to put my house back to where I'd like organized. Oh, and watched it rain and rain some more. Dinner tonight was BLTAs with cut up veggies and dip. I was feeling lazy this evening.

QOTD: I don't really like much about August truth be told. I don't like the super heat or humidity growing up in Arkansas. Here in Indiana, it's better some and normally would be lots county fairs and festivals but of course not really right now. So finding new things like flower farms and lakes to float along.

Gratitudes:
Safe place to come here on the DIS with all the chaos and ugly going on elsewhere
Nice relaxing weekend together
My pantry is organized!

Pictures from the flower farm!
20200802_160818.jpg20200802_162754.jpg20200802_163533.jpg20200802_162750.jpg20200802_161448.jpg

This morning DH and I went to the MVA to get the title and license plates for his new car. I waited in the car but went in case I was needed.

DH and I took a 1.5 mile walk this afternoon before Isaias visits. The rain has started lightly now. I brought in the trash can and the light lawn chair to the garage. Otherwise, we should be ok.

Dinner was chili and salad. We ate on the screen porch and listened to the light rain.

Tina, you snuck in on me. Nice pictures of the flower farm.

@easyas123, how is your back feeling? DH had an aching back too. I believe that the change in barometer with the impending storm can aggravate it. I known it has been shown that flying, and the change in air pressure, can aggravate back pain.

QOTD---What is your favorite thing about August?
We often go on vacation in August. And DH always announces that "August is the only month without a holiday." But I guess the best thing is fresh tomatoes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter