Quarantine and chill and kindness chatty clubhouse: Jump in and join the conversation! All is welcome!

QOTD: Do you like musicals? Any favorites??

I love musicals! My "housework" playlist is mostly Broadway songs to sing along with.

It's hard to narrow down favorites, but probably Les Mis (first one I ever saw by a big city company) and the Sound of Music (used to watch it on video soooo often.)

I was in school productions of Annie in 6th grade and Camelot in 12th, and really love both of those as well.

I love musicals! My "housework" playlist is mostly Broadway songs to sing along with.

It's hard to narrow down favorites, but probably Les Mis (first one I ever saw by a big city company) and the Sound of Music (used to watch it on video soooo often.)

I was in school productions of Annie in 6th grade and Camelot in 12th, and really love both of those as well.

Oh, I like musicals! If we are talking plays (not movies), then Hamilton was good. I like Hairspray, and Jesus Christ Superstar as well. For movies, I like all sorts of movies that are musicals: Sound of Music, Wizard of Oz are two that come to mind.

Lazy Sunday. I ordered Dominos for lunch/dinner (pepperoni pizza for DS; their Hawaiian special for DH; and I had their Italian sandwich). I have to go get my pickup order from Walmart (hopefully I can get the hand sanitizer, as all my other bottles were recalled...bought at BJs, so I have to wait another 3-5 weeks for refunds from the manufacturer). A couple loads of laundry to wash/dry/fold/put away. Other than that, just relaxation time.

PRAISE THE LORD AND ANY AND ALL OTHER DEITIES! It's been 99 hours...4 days, 3 hours...and our power is finally back on! I just spent the last half hour washing my (now-empty) freezer...didn't notice the strange chartreuse-colored slime all over the shelves/drawers until I had light :scared: :eek: :crazy2: :sick:

I will catch up with QOTD/PMs soon! I don't want to see how many emails I have in my Yahoo! account...
So glad your powers back on!

Thought of this after Phantom of the Opera came on my Playlist this morning and I wholeheartedly sang along... :rolleyes1 :laughing:
I love musicals. The last one I saw was Hamilton on Disney Plus. I've seen Wicked on Broadway and my husband took me and my mom to see the King and I with Yul Brynner when it came to town back in the 80's. I always liked the movie with him in it and it was a real treat to see him in person. I grew up watching musicals, Sound of Music, Westside Story and others on tv. My two favorites were Seven Brides for Seven Brothers and the 1965 version of Cinderella with Lesley Ann Warren.

Went to Walmart early today and scored disposable gloves, Clorox wipes and Clorox spray! Haven't seen any of those in Kroger since back in March.

Don't feel like cooking today so we've having a late lunch/early dinner of sub sandwiches, chips & dip and watermelon.

Good afternoon all. Time to bump this up, as we were almost down to the bottom of page 1! We go from sprinkles to sun, back to sprinkles. Its 73 out, and they say it will be our last day of bearable temps before it goes back to the 90's--calling fo 95 tomorrow. I am over this heat already and it's only the beginning of August! I hope that you have a lovely time at the beach @Breezy_Carol ! My sister in law and family are headed home from theirs, and theirs was slightly interrupted by the hurricane. I hope you have great weather!
Did grocery shopping this morning. Odd that Aldi's was out of a lot of things. I saw more empty spaces on shelves in there today, than I have seen since the beginning of the pandemic. Bread wasn't full, there were no crackers. Very little in the way of paper products. No storage bags, no trash bags, very odd. Walmart was it's usual busy self, I was #307 in the store at 10:00. Their paper products were low too, but everything else was full (except cleaning stuff of course. ) I did manage to snag another bottle of Clorox Clean Up w/bleach, and my sister in law was there Wed nite when they put out a whole shelf of Clorox Wipes (she grabbed one for them , and one for me). I am tired and feeling lazy after putting everything away. Think I will just do a long beauty treatment, then either find a movie to watch or take a nap, or maybe both. We have plenty of beautiful tomatoes from the garden now, am attaching a pic of my favorite new variety, Mushroom Basket. They are big and very sweet. We are going to stuff them with homemade shrimp salad for dinner and add fresh corn I picked up this morning.
Have a great Saturday everyone!

Tomatoes are my favorite vegetable. Ever. A juicy raw tomato with a light sprinkle of sea salt... perfect snack.

Here's a question - doesn't have to be a QOTD, I'm just curious: continuing from the book conversation, how do you organize your books?

I'm working on planning out my bookshelves, and I'm arranging by color, because it looks nice that way and I like for my things to look nice to me. I was pretty shocked to find this is incredibly controversial and people basically think you're vapid and dumb if you do this, because it somehow means you only care what the book looks like and not what's in it? Another person said "I want people to be able to find something to read, how can they do that if there's no rhyme or reason to how the books are arranged." .... They can read the spines? Or, what I would encourage guests to do in my place: be adventurous and grab a random book.

I do like musicals. My favorites are Sound of Music, Mamma Mia, and Godspell.

It is funny that Buzzer channel was mentioned. DH watches that all the time. Whenever I go to the living room it is on even if he is asleep on the couch. I have to admit to changing the channel. LOL!

Glad to hear power is back for everyone.

Gratitude today:

Saw older DS, DDIL, and 2 DGS. Played in their back yard and talked about our trip next week. Older DS and family are coming up Mon-Wed and younger DS and family are coming up Wed-Fri. We have an overlap day when everyone will be together. I will be tired at the end of that day!

Only one more week of work until a much needed vacay.

Chilling out this afternoon. It is hot today, near 90, and playing with the grandkids outside wore me out.

Have a nice rest of the weekend.

Thought of this after Phantom of the Opera came on my Playlist this morning and I wholeheartedly sang along... :rolleyes1 :laughing:

I used to think I liked musicals.

Until I saw many more of them.

I realized that musicals are a lot of fun to be in (I was in Cinderella and Annie) but not really my cup of tea in most situations.

We saw Wicked on Broadway when we went to NYC years ago. My husband at first whined and complained about being forced to go to a musical, "I hate musicals," and I was like, too bad - I'm not going to be in NYC and NOT see Wicked on Broadway. Deal with it. After the trip, he admitted that while he still hates musicals, Wicked was actually the best part of the trip. Amazing show.

I like The Secret Garden, and also like The Producers. I consider any Broadway adaptation of a Disney movie (Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King) to be a grey area, not really musicals.

Outside of those, not really a fan. Absolutely loathe Les Mis above all. I haven't liked any adaptation of it. Most others I just don't like. I haven't seen Hamilton and don't really have a desire to.

One of the best theatrical musical performances I've seen, again, not really a musical, was the Backlot Theater performance of Hunchback of Notre Dame at MGM (now Hollywood Studios). It was breathtaking.

How did Sunday get here so fast?! I'm also really confused about it already being close to the middle of August.
I was in the Home store today and they already have Christmas stuff up and I'm like nope, nope, NOPE stop rushing me!! In defiance I bought a pretty floral wreath of summer flowers for the front door. It was on clearance but darn it I showed them I won't be rushed!

Our deck is done! It is painted and so are my hands, feet and toes. If I didn't need pedicure before I really do now. It looks beautiful and I'm so happy with it. I bought few decorative pieces for it and will get out there and arrange so it looks ready for company or just me and good book. I saw question a while back about good books. I'm reading really interesting historical semi fiction called The Engineer's Wife. It's about the engineer that was building the Brooklyn Bridge and then accident made him bed ridden and his wife took over his place, which unheard of back then, and started putting her own twist on the design. It's pretty good read and I'm not typically into historically fiction.

I also saw question about how books are on the book shelf. We have his and her book shelves and a mix of a shelf around the house. I think there is shelf of books in almost all the rooms. Our living rooms has my half shelf of things I've read recently and haven't moved upstairs and Matt has his side of the shelf with books needing to be moved upstairs. We have a favorites book case in our room with his shelves and my shelves. (can you see a theme lol) and the books are in alphabetically order. It just makes easier when we want to reread something or looking for something for reference.

We have a book case in our main guest bedroom and the books and DVDs are shelved by genre. I have a little colored index card sticking out after each segment identifying the next section. I really like things in order if you can't tell lol

Dinner tonight is ribs I cooked in the crock pot and finished in the oven with sauce while roasting some veggies and serving with Costco loaded potato salad.

I love musicals! There are few I don't like but I have one that I really don't like and cannot recommend and makes my husband giggle every time he tells the story. We saw Book of Mormon on Valentines Day a few years ago when stationed in El Paso at Ft Bliss. I'm no way a prude about anything including language and I kept looking at him like what the crazy heck is going on here and he was cracking up because I didn't know what to expect and he knew it was from the creators of South Park. You know how you can get picture on roller coaster as you are screaming down the ride? I felt we should have all gotten pictures of us in the audience looking crazy at the stage or each other.

I saw Wicked in Tucson at a beautiful theater one Easter weekend and just loved it. We saw the Mary Poppins musical at the Kennedy Center when stationed in D.C. and saw Hamilton this past December in Indianapolis for our anniversary. I love Annie Oakley and I've seen local stage production of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. I'm big theater person! I'm hoping for season tickets next year if things settle back down.

Sorry I wrote a thesis today!

Hug Nox, you should arrange your books however appeals to you! At one time, I had a ton more books of all kinds ranging from heavy hardcovers to those I primarily used years before at college, to lol the sky's the limit. When I joined paperbackswap (I think it's okay to mention it by name) about 6 years ago, one of the reasons I did so was to be able to pare down on books while passing them onto someone who wanted to read them then and there. (The site works basically by your posting any books you have to swap and then someone can request one or more in exchange for a book credit on the site). I also did donate a lot to the library mostly hardcovers that for the most part to me are not enjoyable anymore because they're heavy especially when in bed plus a ton other books I knew the library had should I need to read them again! Now, lol, it might be nice to have some of those to read. This is all to say I arranged my shelves mostly in alphabetical order but sometimes by section (like early childhood education books) or bigger hardcovers, some love inspired romances, so sort of by size. I like your color idea. I do sometimes within kids series I still have just grab one to read without looking at the title so sometimes choosing whatever strikes your fancy be it by color or season or even how you're feeling sure works! Happy reading , my friend. 📚

Snowysmom, so glad you have some family time and a vacation to look forward to! LOL, too funny about Buzzer)

Tina, you posted just ahead of me! Hooray your deck is done and you are pleased with it :) I really do like the idea of a favorites book case! Some day post plague when I have more physical books again maybe I'll have to do that at least within a shelf (not enough space for an entire case).

Tomatoes are my favorite vegetable. Ever. A juicy raw tomato with a light sprinkle of sea salt... perfect snack.

Here's a question - doesn't have to be a QOTD, I'm just curious: continuing from the book conversation, how do you organize your books?

I'm working on planning out my bookshelves, and I'm arranging by color, because it looks nice that way and I like for my things to look nice to me. I was pretty shocked to find this is incredibly controversial and people basically think you're vapid and dumb if you do this, because it somehow means you only care what the book looks like and not what's in it? Another person said "I want people to be able to find something to read, how can they do that if there's no rhyme or reason to how the books are arranged." .... They can read the spines? Or, what I would encourage guests to do in my place: be adventurous and grab a random book.

They are organized by author, and then if a series, in series order. Drives me crazy if I can't go from book A to book B to book C easily. If I have only 1 or 2 of the author, then they go on the shelf with other similar books, so romance with romance or fantasy with fantasy.

I’m afraid my books are organized in that time honored tradition of read/not read....some with a fine patina of dust!
honestly my coffee table booked and reference books I’ve kept over the years are currently in storage. Most books I buy stay at The location I took them to or I pass them on to others.

I'm working on planning out my bookshelves, and I'm arranging by color, because it looks nice that way and I like for my things to look nice to me. I was pretty shocked to find this is incredibly controversial and people basically think you're vapid and dumb if you do this

Not at all. I think it encourages serendipity!

That said, I actually enjoy organizing and my non-fiction books are grouped by subject.

Fiction, I’m more likely to pass on after I’ve read it, but the ones I do keep are by series, and vaguely by size - like you said, it brings a tidy look to the shelf.

That does not, however, extend to my to-be-read shelf, which is a total jumble.

Finally catching up. Thank you all for putting up with my horrible mood. I was hot, sweaty, tired, frustrated, stressed, worried about all that food spoiling (and it was a good $400-$500 that we would have lost...that's a lot, IMO). I honestly looked forward to just soaking in a tub of COLD water every night. Had to make sure I got in there early, though, so I could read while it was still light out!

Apparently our Eversource is under investigation now, regarding their preparation and response to the storm. There were so many guidelines put in place after the Great Snowstorm and Power Outage of October 2011...and they all failed AGAIN. They raise rates consistently...something just isn't right.

I'm grateful to the team from Virginia who actually restored our power yesterday. I'm also grateful that we only had to eat out for one day - yesterday morning DH went to McDonald's and got breakfast for us, then we got some seafood dinners from our grocery store in the evening (fish and chips for DH, shrimp and chips for me). And another McDonald's Happy Meal for Josh.

During the day we went to Old Sturbridge Village with some friends. It was a pleasant day (weather-wise), so it was easy to breathe in our masks. We couldn't go into the houses and stuff, but they had doors open so we could look inside (roped off) and they had brought certain things outside. It was a very fun day - tiring (with 4 little ones between us) but fun. Capped off with getting our power back. It was so nice to finally sleep in bed - not a recliner - with the AC on!

So now...

QOTD Wednesday, August 5th: It’s time for breakfast! You can eat at home, or you can go out. What are you having?

At home, I only have coffee. I just can't stomach food at that hour. I've also been intermittent-fasting for years (inadvertently, maybe...since before it was a "thing"). But I love breakfast food itself! My SIL's farm eggs are so good...way better than store-bought.

If we go out, I almost always get an omelet. Stuff it with lots of veggies and cheese!

If you’re in the Midwest , stop by a Bob Evans restaurant. I use to get the farmer’s breakfast - two eggs over easy, toast, hash browns and chose of meat.

I love Bob Evans! It's on our list when we visit Florida. I don't think we've ever had breakfast there, though. Josh likes the mac-and-cheese, and on our last visit, I had the Wildfire Chicken Salad and OMG, I can still taste it!

QOTD: Thursday, August 6 th. ( I’m an hour early for the east coast)
What piece of advice or saying do you remember from a teacher ?

I don't remember any advice, but I remember my senior year high school physics teacher always saying "Physics is Phun." And it really was! I wasn't very good at it, but it was my most enjoyable class.

Speaking of books, does anyone else stockpile books?
I'll read reviews of books that sound interesting, or come across them while browsing. Then if something strikes my fancy I put it in my Amazon cart and then when I'm ready for some new books I'll go thru what I've put in there and pick a few that appeal to me at the moment.
One of my favorite pre-trip activities is a leisurely walk around the Barnes & Noble and picking up a few books for the trip.

I used to stockpile. Not anymore, though. I used to be able to rent 5-6 books from the library and read them in 3 weeks. Now I'm lucky if I can get through 2 of them. Never mind being able to afford to buy that many now...

QOTD for 8/7: Have you ever taken a train trip?

This was so timely, as there was just an article in our paper about taking the train if you don't like to fly - like me! I've never traveled to a particular destination on a train, but I've taken train rides. I've done the Essex Steam Train and the North Conway NH Cog Railroad. We're considering that when we take our trip to South Dakota "someday," and next time to go to Disney World (but don't have time to drive it), maybe we can take the train. It sounds like fun!

Love, love, LOVE Phantom! I know it by heart...I have the DVD of the 25th Anniversary at Royal Albert Hall (so much better than the movie, IMO)...I have the double CD, a book...I even dressed as the Phantom one year at work (I think it was 1997). And I've seen it 4 or maybe even 5 times at the Bushnell in Hartford. Every time it comes around, I have to see it. I always cry my eyes out at the end.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter